As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anime Shows Worth Checking Out?

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Continuing the discussion from this thread. Need some NA anime recommendations.

And once again, if it was on Cartoon Network and/or Adult Swim, I've seen it, so please stop recommending them. Also looking for new-ish series to check out, around 2005 to current.
Guys, going so long without mention of this? For shame.

Eureka 7 is a fucking good series. It's seriously got everything crammed into it. Every time I thought I had an idea of what the show was about, what I liked and didn't like about it, what the characters were like, it blew my expectations out of the water within two episodes.

I saw the whole series in AS. It was very dissappointing.

And it shouldn't have been, either. It had fantastic animation, great mecha scenes, character designs, etc. But it failed horribly for incredibly slow pacing and an obnoxious need to hide every single story detail in order to create an air of mystery. As a result, every single character is an asshole to Renton just because they know shit that he doesn't.

Especially Holland. The asshole spends most of the show screaming and abusing Renton, and he has no idea why. And when we finally do find out what Holland's big, justifiable story revelation was, it turned out that
he dated Renton's sister, who then dumped him.

I literally spent more than one occassion sticking my hands out and going "....that's it?". Characters who are a thousand times more likeable and interesting (Charles and Ray, Anemonie, Dominic) don't get nearly enough screentime.

Also, if we knew ahead of time that Eureka was
a non-human who adapts human behavior like a book that needs its pages written out)
it wouldn't have made her seem like a more flat and boring character than Rei Ayanami.

So basically E7 had some great ideas, but terrible execution. I'm hoping GL succeeds in delivering some mecha fun that E7 failed to fufill.
Blue Submarine No. 6 looks real neat based on the wiki article and the music

would it be worth my time to watch Blue Submarine No. 6?

Very much so. It gets a bit confusing story-wise, but it's a short enough series that you don't have to dwell too much on the plot. The animation and designs are fantastic (typical for Range Murata. I love his designs, even if a few kind of push the loli envelope), and the dub is one of the best ever heard.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure we already have an anime thread.

20010115h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.