As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've got this roomate...

FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Now I couldn't afford my part of the bond when we moved out, so he covered me and then told me I owed him. Time went on and my financial position didn't get better, after rent/bills/groceries I was pretty much left with nothing. My girlfriend moved in with me as well, I was sick for two weeks and she covered my rent for those weeks, she was great.

Now this roomate, would eat all the food I bought, leave piles of dishes and put plastic bags next to the bin when the bin was full. He would steal shit out of our room and break shit left, right and center. Now the bond is coming back and as far as I'm concerned it's all said and done. But now he's trying to claim that he covered for me on several other occasions where I was short on rent money and whatnot. But I can never remember this happening, the only time anyone covered for me was when I was sick.

He wants to go all legal, but I'm totally convinced that he's a stealing dick and doesn't have a case. He wants a mere $415, that may not seem like much but I'm a student working as a bartender, so that's a little under a week's pay for me. How do I tell him to "fuck off" and make it stick? He is constantly harassing me and my girlfriend and we really need to get rid of him, worst thing is his parents are rich and he doesn't need any extra cash.

PAsig-1.gif
Flyingman on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Wait, did you not repay him the initial money he covered you for?

If you didn't, I understand that he was a dick and blew a lot of your money through breaking shit and eating your food, but unless that stuff was strictly documented I can't see you saying "well our lifestyle pretty much evened out my debt towards him".

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    Wait, did you not repay him the initial money he covered you for?

If you didn't, I understand that he was a dick and blew a lot of your money through breaking shit and eating your food, but unless that stuff was strictly documented I can't see you saying "well our lifestyle pretty much evened out my debt towards him".

Well see he just got the money back, as we left the place and the bond money gets returned to him. But he's convinced that I owe him more, but that shit is NOT documented.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so you owed him money... then life went on, and now he wants it back.

sounds like you still owe him money to me, unless at some point you said "hey, if you keep eating my food, i'm taking it out of the money I owe you".

edit: ok, sounds like you don't owe him, I guess.

Serpent on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If he takes you to court it'll be his burden to prove what you owe him.

You do owe him for the bond though, even if he damaged previous property. You borrowed money from him and said you would repay it back. It doesn't matter what you may feel he owes you and what makes you even.
    So just tell him you'll pay him for the bond and that's it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think you're missing the point, he got the bond money back...

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Flyingman wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point, he got the bond money back...

Yeah, sorry didn't realize that.

So you're all squared away then. Let him take you to court if he wants, it'll be his burden to prove that he owes you money then.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's the actual cash amount here? you said he wants $415? How much was your half of the bond when you moved out of the apartment? How much EXACTLY did he cover for you at that time? As long as he got that amount back when it was returned, then you don't owe him anything, unless he did loan you extra money, in which case legally you don't owe him, but morally, you might.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You only owe him what he covered you for. If he's claiming he secretly covered you for more without telling you, or something like that, you tell him to fuck the hell off. But if he actually covered you for stuff, and you're just deciding that he broke some stuff and that you're even, you need to pay him back.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    By bond, you mean something like a deposit on the apartment, right? If that's already been returned, then simply get $415 (or whatever the actual amount is), hand it to him, and then say 'Okay I want my share of the bond back now'. Because yes you still owe him the money, except if the money gets returned then what's the point?

If he covered portions of your rent or something then that will be a different matter.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png