As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juno: Cause my other thread went away

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    He went from cool guy to creepy guy with a quickness.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    JWashke wrote: »
    I loved this movie and purchased the soundtrack off itunes as soon as I got home.

I don't listen to a lot of music.

After listening to the soundtrack for a while I was hoping someone could recommend me some more music similar to this stuff.

Get The Moldy Peaches self-titled album for a start.

Belle and Sebastian's "Tigermilk" is also a good choice.

I don't know anything about Kimya Dawson, but quite a few of her songs are in the film so I'd look there too.

Also, some stuff you might like would be stuff from Sondre Lechre and maybe some earlier White Stripes. They both have that kindof folky garage sound.
    Good stuff.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved this movie and purchased the soundtrack off itunes as soon as I got home.

After listening to the soundtrack for a while I was hoping someone could recommend me some more music similar to this stuff.

I don't know anything about Kimya Dawson, but quite a few of her songs are in the film so I'd look there too.

Also, some stuff you might like would be stuff from Sondre Lechre and maybe some earlier White Stripes. They both have that kindof folky garage sound.
    Good stuff.

I recommend checking out Pandora Radio. You can try it out without signing up, but I recommend getting an account so it's easier for you find music that you enjoy. It's 100% free and it's a really good service. You can make a radio station for each artist that you like and it will give you music that is similar to that artist. You then rate the song depending on how you like it, and your account adapts to these ratings.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Pork swords." Ugh.

I liked how the step-mother character was surprisingly likeable, and was surprised at how Mark became less of a "cool guy" as the movie went on.

on mark's progression through the movie:
    I actually wasn't that surprised because from the first meeting he didn't seem like he was interested in having a kid. He seemed at best apathetic. There wasn't much of a sign that he and Garner's character got along well so I didn't think it was a surprise he wanted a divorce. Honestly I don't think he got less "cool" more like he seemed more like a dick because he didn't think the marriage was working out, but I don't think that was actually a bad thing since it honestly didn't seem like it was working out. I think it was better for him to quit than for him to be a bad father and have the family fall apart a few years down the road.

On a side note I love that she still gave Vanessa(?) the kid instead of trying to raise it on her own. Even though Vanessa was the outsider in the film.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All this 'indie' chit-chat reminds me of this pathetic uber-indie front me and my friend came up with. We need only alter our voices and look annoyed to get the character down:

"I have more indie in this one pinky than you have in your entire body."

"I bet you've never even heard of the bands that I listen to."

It cracks us up.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, the Soundtrack for Juno is SO FUCKIN GOOD

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Saw Juno tonight, and it was pretty incredible. It changed my life...at least twice.

Good show. Good show, indeed.

An-D on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In addition to Pandora, there's also Last.fm for your music-finding needs. I have discovered many a good artist there.

Quoth on
  • Options
    MalvicusMalvicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I LOVED Juno. But the Soupy Sales reference had me rolling my eyes. What could she possibly know about Soupy Sales?! *shrug* Mebbe there's an underground Soupy Sales support movement on YouTube.

Malvicus on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I saw this tonight and was pretty meh...hear me out:
    I thought Juno was straight out of "not another teen movie" the uniquely rebellious rebel who uses cool words and listens to the coolest music and knows all the cool movies. I was pretty disappointed with her because most of the movie I was just like "uuuuugggh they're trying so hard to make her awesome" (napoleon dynamite awesome)

the kid that knocked her up was pretty much straight out of superbad...I guess that's good? probably not

I liked the parents a lot. The dad was good, and I REALLY liked the step-mom.

The adoptive parents: The dad turned creepy pretty quickly, but I think they did a good job of making it clear they weren't happy in the first place. At no point did I think the dad wanted the kid, but that kinda ruined the big "twist" I was glad to see the lady get the kid, and that parts where she interacted with Juno were pretty touching.
    I might be a bad judge of this movie because I interact with high schoolers all day, but I really just wasn't as impressed as I was hoping.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I doubt many of you know who Emily Perkins is, but she played the goth receptionist at the women's clinic.

"It makes my boyfriend's junk smell like pie." xD

It was nice seeing her again.

I demand you all see the Ginger Snaps movies for werewolf goodness involving said actress.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Definately look into some Belle and Sebastian. As for music not in the soundtrack that may be similar...Bright Eyes? Just a thought.

Also, Kimya Dawson is (or, used to be) in The Moldy Peaches.

Poot on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions guy. I bought a few of the recommended albums off itunes. I am loving Belle and Sebastian so much.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So would this be a bad time to say that the music almost completely ruined the movie for me. The intro credits made me want to scream. Really, any time there was singing it was, as Amelie Gilette said, "being in the head with the world's tweest umbrella". It was overpowering, and if you listen to lyrics, they don't even make sense. Spoken word-ish stuff has no place in a movie soundtrack, but just stringing random words together makes it unbearable.

My other main problem was that Juno often didn't sound like a very intelligent, quirky girl, she sounded like someone who was trying really hard to sound quirky and intelligent, but just ended up sounding bizarre for the sake of being weird. My favorite Ambrose Bierce definition from the Devil's Dictionary is somewhat relevant here: "Eccentricity is a method of distinction so cheap that fools employ it to hide their incompetance."

But otherwise, it was a funny movie that was much better than Knocked Up, since I actually cared about the characters, and it was just much funnier. Except when they started singing, then I wanted to strangle them.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    Except when they started singing, then I wanted to strangle them.

At the end of the movie? Seriously? Wow.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It should have been like 15 seconds long, tops. I'd already heard that annoying song several times over the course of the movie, I don't need to hear it again, with even worse singing, with a minute long slow pan just so they can end on a cute kiss.

Yes, I have no heart.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It should have been like 15 seconds long, tops. I'd already heard that annoying song several times over the course of the movie, I don't need to hear it again, with even worse singing, with a minute long slow pan just so they can end on a cute kiss.

Yes, I have no heart.

Well, as long as you recognize that.

Quoth on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. I did see the Juno character as a girl trying to be abrasive and "indie-cool," but only at times when she was in situations like dealing with Mark & Vanessa - I got the feeling that she was consciously turning up the weirdness just to poke at their "normalness." When she was with her parents or friends it felt completely natural.

For me, the best part of the movie by far was J.K. Simmons. His character was so great, and really the perfect guy for it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I saw Juno the other night and enjoyed the hell out of it. After getting home and thinking about why Ellen Page seemed so familiar and checking her up on wikipedia it hit me. I grew up in NS and went to some auditions/preformed in some kid/teen acting groups with her. Small world.

Zeta on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So would this be a bad time to say that the music almost completely ruined the movie for me. The intro credits made me want to scream. Really, any time there was singing it was, as Amelie Gilette said, "being in the head with the world's tweest umbrella". It was overpowering, and if you listen to lyrics, they don't even make sense. Spoken word-ish stuff has no place in a movie soundtrack, but just stringing random words together makes it unbearable.

My other main problem was that Juno often didn't sound like a very intelligent, quirky girl, she sounded like someone who was trying really hard to sound quirky and intelligent, but just ended up sounding bizarre for the sake of being weird. My favorite Ambrose Bierce definition from the Devil's Dictionary is somewhat relevant here: "Eccentricity is a method of distinction so cheap that fools employ it to hide their incompetance."

But otherwise, it was a funny movie that was much better than Knocked Up, since I actually cared about the characters, and it was just much funnier. Except when they started singing, then I wanted to strangle them.

I think one of my favorite review says something along the lines of "Juno doesn't sound like a teenager, she sounds like a 28 year old screenwriter." It's too much for one movie. It's just quirky nonsense and then they just tack on Juno crying and expect us to care. Bleep blarp bloop.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I liked the movie alot - then again I want to marry Michael Cera.

I thought the cleverest bit of the movie was a throwaway line. When Juno meets Vanessa at the mall and she says "I was here with my girlfriends" and Juno's friend says "Oh what you're a lesbian?"

And Vanessa replies completely earnestly and seriously - No!

It seemed like such a juxstaposition of two generations. It was like when a ironic movie breaks the fourth wall and another movie sort of butts - Juno's pal's irony and witticisms seemed so childish and ridiculous when presented to an actual person.

Anyway I was glad they toned down the language - the first quarter of the movie (especially with rainn wilson) filled me with dread with all the witty indy quips, but they started speaking normally fairly quickly.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008

Yes, I have no heart.
    You're not alone. That shit annoyed me. I was enraged when the source of my suffering revealed itself at the end. IT WAS HER ALL ALONG.

Am I the only person who cringed at the Thundercats line? I believe the character is 16 in this movie, making her birth year 1992 unless this movie takes place in some unannounced past year. The fucking show ended well before her existence started.

It's just a nice sign at how ridiculous the 1980s references are getting.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was born in 88 and have never seen the thundercats, same with the rest of the people I know.

But we all got the joke. Reminds me of when old people ask me if I've ever seen a record player before.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    But we all got the joke.
    What exactly is the joke?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    But we all got the joke.
    What exactly is the joke?

The same joke that is Juno's hamburger phone. Get it? GET IT?

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How often do people make transformers jokes when they are obviously too young to know anything about the actual series? Given most of those people are like all of us here (they spend way too much time on the internet) but it is not that unheard of.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Doodmann wrote: »
    How often do people make transformers jokes when they are obviously too young to know anything about the actual series? Given most of those people are like all of us here (they spend way too much time on the internet) but it is not that unheard of.

My stance is that just referencing the show doesn't constitute a joke. Yelling "Thundercats are go!" is not a joke, it's not witty, it's not even original or edgy or any other positive adjective you can imagine. It's barf.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »

My stance is that just referencing the show doesn't constitute a joke. Yelling "Thundercats are go!" is not a joke, it's not witty, it's not even original or edgy or any other positive adjective you can imagine. It's barf.

I treat it like when kids buy those shirts that say "Old School" and have a picture of an NES controller. Most of the time I blow it off thinking "were these kids even alive before N64" but because the concept of nostalgia is huge these days with stores such as Hot Topic, some people go the extra mile and try to learn where these sayings and trends came from. I was 3 when Thundercats came out, but I watched it on Toonami. Just because I didn't watch it in the era it was on, does that mean I'm not allowed to enjoy it?

I also equate this situation to those people who get pissed when people like bands who get big, but were underground previously. Quotes such as "man you're not even a fan, you only heard about them on the radio" are a little pretentious, IMO.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well I think his point is that it's not a good joke. The references actually fit her character, which often appears to be aggressively indie but is actually just being a poser, although I'm not sure that was the intention of the writers, but it would be hilarious if the whole thing was a really subtle shot at hipsters (i.e. thinking that that song her and Mark danced to was hardcore/unknown, saying "You had to be there for '77!", thinking Sonic Youth is noise, etc.). The problem is just that it's essentially "lol that's silly!", like the hamburger phone. I admit I laughed, but looking back on it it's kind of terrible.

Speaking of the hamburger phone, did anyone else find the calling the abortion clinic scene really bizarre? There just seemed something off about that choice, and deliberately drawing extra attention to it by having it disconnect.

Even more so with Juno's relationship with Mark--both my father and sister thought that Mark was leaving Vanessa because he loved Juno, even after seeing it twice, which means that the writers did something horribly wrong. Or, that's what they meant and I'm dumb.

In fact, just screw the hamburger phone in general. That's not even functional.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Even more so with Juno's relationship with Mark--both my father and sister thought that Mark was leaving Vanessa because he loved Juno, even after seeing it twice, which means that the writers did something horribly wrong. Or, that's what they meant and I'm dumb.

I think it was more that Mark was leaving Vanessa because he was emotionally still a teenager himself, which is why he and Juno connected so well for awhile.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So since she wasn't born before Thundercats was first shown on television means she hasn't seen it?

I mean are you guys really just trying to find shit to hate because it's "indy"?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    I think it was more that Mark was leaving Vanessa because he was emotionally still a teenager himself, which is why he and Juno connected so well for awhile.
    That's what I assumed as well. I think the slow dance was what threw them off. It probably shouldn't have, but it was a weird scene, with the hands and Juno resting her head and everything.

No, it's not that we have an inherent dislike of anything "indy", it's just that we're very easily annoyed.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No, it's not that we have an inherent dislike of anything "indy", it's just that we're very easily annoyed.

I've realized this from my days in D&D.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    That's what I assumed as well. I think the slow dance was what threw them off. It probably shouldn't have, but it was a weird scene, with the hands and Juno resting her head and everything.

Me, I read that as Juno liking Mark for what he represented: a safe home for her kid with people she liked, as well as another immature person who was feeling overwhelmed with everything that happened. She's freaked out, he's sympathetic, she gets to feel pretty, blah blah. This would explain her shock and disgust when he actually comes on to her, because she really doesn't think of him romantically but as the potential father the kid she's growing.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just saw the movie and some of the lines seemed a little inappropriate but hell it was an enjoyable fun movie and most of the stuff being nitpicked was only annoying in retrospect. And I think the 'thunder cats are go' thing was more to get her dad going then anything ;)
    EDIT: dammit, I saw the move in a preview screening so the soundtrack ain't up on Aussie itunes.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I treat it like when kids buy those shirts that say "Old School" and have a picture of an NES controller. Most of the time I blow it off thinking "were these kids even alive before N64" but because the concept of nostalgia is huge these days with stores such as Hot Topic, some people go the extra mile and try to learn where these sayings and trends came from. I was 3 when Thundercats came out, but I watched it on Toonami. Just because I didn't watch it in the era it was on, does that mean I'm not allowed to enjoy it?

I also equate this situation to those people who get pissed when people like bands who get big, but were underground previously. Quotes such as "man you're not even a fan, you only heard about them on the radio" are a little pretentious, IMO.

I don't care if she referenced Thundercats, or if she said "Backstreet's back, alright!". I don't care if her character was 8 and making pop culture references to the A-Team. Pop culture references aren't jokes, they're lazy garbage. I think that if the screenwriter learned that, we'd have a much better movie on our hands.

It's like putting the Konami code on a t-shirt. Yeah, I know where it came from, so do you. How is that funny?

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I don't care if she referenced Thundercats, or if she said "Backstreet's back, alright!". I don't care if her character was 8 and making pop culture references to the A-Team. Pop culture references aren't jokes, they're lazy garbage. I think that if the screenwriter learned that, we'd have a much better movie on our hands.

It's like putting the Konami code on a t-shirt. Yeah, I know where it came from, so do you. How is that funny?

The joke is for the audience, not for the characters. It's the pure randomness and absurdness of saying "Thundercats are go!" as the code phrase signifying going into labour. It makes sense for Juno to reference an old cartoon - since today revival of old pup-culture is prominent - and it gives the audience something to laugh about.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    GooGoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved Juno.

Except for one line. Guess which one it was?

Goo on
    sonicyouthch6.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goo wrote: »
    I loved Juno.

Except for one line. Guess which one it was?

Honest-to-blog?

Also, fuck all of you who say this is trying to be Napoleon Dynamite. This movie has pop culture references. Napoleon Dynamite was simply borderline retardation. There is a large difference. I can see why the faux hipsters and such would like Juno. And I actually really loved it as well.

Napoleon Dynamite? If you honestly like that movie, I will never listen to anything you have to say about anything, ever, in your entire life.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You have to admit, the part when he got hit in the face with the steak was funny.
    But yeah, that movie sucked hickory smoked horse-buttholes.

I don't get people disliking the movie for being liked by "indie poseurs". Would "real indie" dudes HATE this film? or what? I don't get it.

Local H Jay on