As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shops shipping to UK?

AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
Hey,

Recently I've been getting into reading comics and have just been picking up hardcovers and TPB's.

I'm already pissed at how much they cost in the UK, especially when I see the price in dollars printed on the back of them.

Can anyone recommend a US store that ships to the UK and have any tips on large orders etc?

I want to pick up some Absolutes and a few more hardcovers with some Christmas money but would prefer a bit more bang for my buck!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

steam_sig.png
I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
Adda on

• Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've had no problem with amazon.co.uk. Shipping's fast, prices are low, no complaints at all.

Except that my copy of Absolute Watchmen turned up with all the corners bashed in.

the fuckers

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Amazon it is then. Just have to resist the urge to buy things in Forbidden Planet and wait for deliveries.

Cheers for the reply.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you're wondering why smaller shops charge so much in the UK, it's probably because the market is far more lucrative over here than almost anywhere else. Even in mainland Europe comics have a stronger place in popular culture, because in the UK they're almost universally dismissed as low-brow nonsense for children. This means that sales over here are less, which increases retailer markup if they're to make a profit.

Thanks, British culture! And while I'm at it, thanks for Indie and Catherine Tate! You sure know what constitutes quality!

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I put in my amazon order and have gone for

Ultimate FF4 volume 4 hc

Infinite Crisis

New Frontier Volume one

52 Volume one

Anyone have some tips for next time I do some shopping?

I'll be looking to pick up Kingdom Come as I've heard good things and some more Ultimate universe stuff but I'd appreciate some recommendations for things I might not have picked up myself.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you're not scared of treading into SE++ waters (here be monsters, and all that) they have a pretty comprehensive list of good material here.

I'll just recommend my own recent choices: the first Immortal Iron-Fist trade, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, All-Star Superman, Planetary, the first few Hellboy trades, all of Runaways, Grant Morrison's New X-Men run... there should be enough there to keep you happy for a long time.

Edit: Oh, and Kingdom Come is great.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    ReckyRecky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd have a look at Play.com as well, I bought off them when I was in the UK... they have similar trades to amazon but I found they were cheaper and the postage is free.

Recky on
    They think I'm a policeman! I'm not! I've just had too much coffee!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Recky wrote: »
    I'd have a look at Play.com as well, I bought off them when I was in the UK... they have similar trades to amazon but I found they were cheaper and the postage is free.

Didn't know they did trades!

Cheers will check them out.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Forbidden Planet International's website usually gives decent prices on TPBs as well, by the way - it may not hurt to double-check their price versus Amazon's.

Wildcat on