As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Power

Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the HolyRegistered User regular
Once, long ago, in a forgotten thread, this was said:
You guys know what would be fun. If all of a sudden, the entire world got sick of chrome for everything and bliss wallpapers on all screens and everything went to be steam operated, just for style.

I would kill, kill! to live in a steam punk universe.
Well hello there:
SteamPower.png

So, steam power is coming back, not that it ever really went away; everything from 200mph cars to 20mph Zeppelins and 20cm/h nanobots, people are going mad for steam once more.

Why steam?
  • Because steam is awesome
  • Steam is easy; water+heat+control chamber=steam. Add a valve and you have motive power
  • More environmentally friendly; external combustion at low pressure is much easier to control so burns much cleaner than the equivalent ICE
  • We already use it. A lot: Something like 86% of our electricity is generated by steam turbines at some point in the chain
  • Reaches places others can't: Steam engines operate independently of atmospheric pressure, unlike diesel engines which give reduced power at altitude

Why not?
  • Not the most efficient; depending on construction, efficiencies of up to 60% can be achieved in static installations such as power stations
  • Still fossil fuel based; Theoretically a steam engine can be made to operate with literally any source of heat, but most are still based around burning stuff
  • Space hog; even with the latest innovations in boilers, steam engines still take up a lot of room

Links:
A Brief History of Steam:
The most famous ancient steam engine is Hero's Aeolipile, a spinning ball powered by steam jets used to operate temple doors ad similar, but there is evidence of an even earlier steam-jet powered bird, which would be both the first steam powered device and the first rocket. Unfortunately, steam power more or less disappeared for close to 1800 years after the aeolipile, only to be re-invented in the 1700's. Starting with Newcomen's atmospheric "vacuum" engine in 1712, steam began to become more widespread as well as more efficient with James Watt's condensing engine. Eventually, in 1829, possibly the most famous steam engine of them all, Stephenson's Rocket was selected to pull the world's first commercial passenger railway trains on the Liverpool and Manchester line. The next most significant innovation in steam power was the steam turbine, invented by one Charles Parsons in 1884; steam turbines still generate the majority of the world's electricity today. In the meanwhile, steam powered transport continued to grow until the "golden age of steam" in the 1930's when George Besler flew the first steam powered aircraft (1933) and the Mallard set the world speed record for a steam train at 126mph which still stands to this day (1938). About this time though, petrol-driven internal combustion engines were being developed that were more compact by far than the equivalent steam engine and afterwards steam power fell out of favour. However, interest in the technology remains strong and several companies are presently developing new steam-based technologies, boosted by the success of the first nanoscale steam engine in 1993. These include the "second generation steam locomotive" and various steam-powered space projects.

So, whilst I wait for my steam-powered washing machine to arrive, I want to know; what next? Are steam cars the way of the future? What about steam-based home power/heat generation? In theory anything you can do with a petrol engine you should be able to do with a steam engine and then some; I'd like to see steam-powered tanks that can run on literally anything you can shove in the back, from petrol to coal to wood and cordite.

*Totally awesome picture blatantly stolen from Focus Magazine. No challenge is intended.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
Mr_Rose on

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eh? unless i'm missing something that washing machine isn't steam powered at all..it just has a steam cleaning option? From the way it's worded it seems to have a "steam generator "w hich..doesn't actually generate power, it uses electricity from an electrical outlet to generate..steam in order to clean things

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eh? unless i'm missing something that washing machine isn't steam powered at all..it just has a steam cleaning option? From the way it's worded it seems to have a "steam generator "w hich..doesn't actually generate power, it uses electricity from an electrical outlet to generate..steam in order to clean things
    True, true, but that's why it's in the incidental text not linked up in the list there...also, I reckon it wouldn't actually be that hard to create a steam powered washer, it's just that LG are being total pussies because people look at you funny when you tell them to hook their white goods up to the gas main...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Whooo! I am quote worthy!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    The other problem with steam engines is their tendency to fucking explode.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I wonder how Steam Powered Weapons would work. I'm sure there is some way to increase bullet deadliness by throwing steam power in the mix.

Imagine a shotgun that hisses steam as the buck escapes the chamber as you reload or a minigun that slowly creates a fog of steam that billows out of it as you continue to fire it...

Fuck, now I want a Steam Punk FPS.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    That is totally based on hearsay and shoddy engineering in early designs. Just because one or two of them went all 'splodey doesn't mean they can't be made safe.

@Cynic: I'm now hankerin' after a steam powered flamethrower. Only instead of water, the fuel is the vapour phase: You get a petrol burning boiler that boils the petrol in the other tank and it expels itself out the end of the nozzle already vaporised and mixing with the air. It's genius I tell you, genius!

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    That is totally based on hearsay and shoddy engineering in early designs. Just because one or two of them went all 'splodey doesn't mean they can't be made safe.

@Cynic: I'm now hankerin' after a steam powered flamethrower. Only instead of water, the fuel is the vapour phase: You get a petrol burning boiler that boils the petrol in the other tank and it expels itself out the end of the nozzle already vaporised and mixing with the air. It's genius I tell you, genius!

So instead of having a fire on the tip of your flamethrower as far away as possible from you and the fuel, you want it on your back, right next to the fuel? Genius... If you're planning for a Darwin award. Also, if I'm not mistaken, gaseous fuels are actually explosive instead of flammable when mixed with air in the right amount, just like regular gas is. Vaporizing is a completely different thing from boiling.

This is actually a promising way to recover all that energy loss by exhaust heat from a combustion engine by making steam with it.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

Early designs? A train pulling into a station in the 50s or 60s here in Omaha exploded as it came to the platform.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Early designs? A train pulling into a station in the 50s or 60s here in Omaha exploded as it came to the platform.

Except it doesn't depend on when the incident happened, but when the train was manufactured. >=P

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So instead of having a fire on the tip of your flamethrower as far away as possible from you and the fuel, you want it on your back, right next to the fuel? Genius... If you're planning for a Darwin award. Also, if I'm not mistaken, gaseous fuels are actually explosive instead of flammable when mixed with air in the right amount, just like regular gas is. Vaporizing is a completely different thing from boiling.

This is actually a promising way to recover all that energy loss by exhaust heat from a combustion engine by making steam with it.
    So instead of assuming I was responding to Cynic's notion of a crazy steampunk fantasy world, you jumped to the conclusion that I would actually build such a thing?
    Also, how is boiling not vaporisation? Steam is water vapour. Additionally, using the burning fuel to preheat the incoming liquid fuel works just fine for the burners on hot air balloons.

Neat car they got there.
    P.S. Of course the right mixture of petroleum vapour and air is explosive. So is the right mixture of fine flour, or nearly any other powdered solid, and air. But then if the mix is not exactly right the stuff just burns merrily away. Liquids don't burn. It is actually possible to put out a fire using petrol, if the fire is small enough and the volume of petrol is large enough.* When liquid petroleum "burns" what is actually happening is that the fuel vapour above the surface of the liquid ignites because it is also mixed with oxygen and then the heat of that fire vaporises some more from below, adding fuel to the fire, until there's no more petrol left.

*Don't try this at home kids. Really.

Mr_Rose on