As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The MechWarrior series and me [NSF56k]

EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
FUCKING MECHWARRIOR

newdaishi3ge9.jpg

I just got back from Best Buy and they have like 900 copies of MechAssault for the Xbox on sale for $4.99 there, so I picked up a copy. I've played MechWarrior 2 on the Saturn years ago, and have MechCommander 1 and 2 around here somewhere (I downloaded them from mechCommander.org when they were free, the site seems to be down now) but I haven't played them yet.

There seems to be a hugeassed backstory to the universe. I love big stompy mechs (and have a raging boner for the Front Mission games), but I'm not sure which games I should play first in the series? Should I track down a copy of MechWarrior

mw1zv6.gif

and DosBox that shit? Should I snag a copy of MW2 (probably easier to find on the Saturn or PS1)

mw2gu8.png

Or can I skip ahead to MW3

mw3ce8.gif

or 4?

mw4bwq2.jpg

And where do the MechCommander

mc2mj4.jpg

and MechAssault

mapv5.jpg

Games fit in? I heard that in MechAssault 2 you can get out of your shit

ma2xu2.jpg

and go steal someone else's shit, like GTA with fucking mechs. I've also heard that the MA games are much more arcade-y than the MW games are, so diehards don't like them as much because they've been "dumbed down" for the Xbox. Is anyone still playing these on Live? Can you play the MechWarrior games decently with KBAM or does a stick and throttle make a difference?

Basically tell me about Mech games and which ones are good to play.

Einhander on

• Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechwarrior 2 + expansions and Mechwarrior 3 are all anyone would really want. Fuck 4. Even though the Mercenaries for 4 had one really nice battle at the end plus the arena, the mech building in it was so fucking annoying, especially from someone who played the tabletop every day during 2 summer vacations.

Pb on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am having trouble with Mechwarrior 4. It keeps on stuttering and hangs every few seconds.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah, Mechwarrior. An incredibly long-running series, both as a tabletop miniatures game/RPG/novel series and as a video game series. You're not going to find any one game that will give you a 100% complete synopsis of the storyline, but MW2 and MW2:Mercs is probably the best overall starting point, as those will show you both sides of the whole conflict during the time period that matters most.

The games are more or less done ins the same chronological order as the story, so the newer MW games take place later in the timeline than the previous ones. As far as quality goes, MW2 (and expansions) plus MW3 are really the best ones. 4 was a major step back in terms of depth, and Mechassault 1+2 ditch the first person sim gameplay entirely for a 3rd person action game. Despite whiner's exaggerations, they're not bad, but they're like if the next Gran Turismo game turned out to be a top down, micro machine-esque toy racing game. Same general concept, but completely different execution.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't get the hate MW4 gets around here (maybe not hate, perhaps dislike), but it was the first MW I played seriously, and was one of the best multiplayer experiences I had.

Come to think of it, is there any chance we can get a [Game On]?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RapeasaurusRapeasaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MW3 was my life in like 5th grade. I love that game so very deeply.

Rapeasaurus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll cite 2 reasons for not liking 4:

1.) The weapons (other than the Heavy Guass) have no real sting to them. It really seems to take a while to deal the requisite damage to take somebody down, although I admittedly haven't played 4 right after one of the others to get a quantifiable experience. I shouldn't have to pump 6 PPC shots (or more!) into a heavy mech's right torso to blow it off. It's also unfortunate that fun weapons like the ARROW-IV or the (very, very effective) Inferno SRM-2 were taken out.

2.) Mech building? Fuck it right in the ear. The previous games were rewarding for those who knew how to build effective mechs, which you didn't get at all in 4. I understand the purpose of typed slots on Inner Sphere mechs, but even on Clan mechs...4 slots? I can only put 4 slots of weapons in a location? That's bullshit, especially if you want to load up on some medium lasers.

Pb on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just play MechWarrior 2 and ignore the rest. Everything else is inferior to Mech2 and playing them will only make you want to play more of Mech2, so why fight it? Just play the best one and ignore the trash.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MW2, GBL, and Mercs are the only games in the series worth playing. Freaking awesome. Add in Tie Fighter and a good retro stick and you'll be set for life.

Yes, I actually restored a top of the line Pentium 1 with max ram and a fairly decent sized hard drive so I could play these games. I left it at my folk's house and I played it a bit during christmas. MW 2 never gets old.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I remember when I got GBL and I went to install it and found I had too much shit on my hard drive. Which wasn't really the fault of a cluttered hard drive, as my computer would have had just enough space for the OS and the full install of GBL to begin with. I loved coming home from school and having to choose between TIE Fighter or the Mech games.

Tough times, guys.

Pb on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Mechwarrior 2 + expansions and Mechwarrior 3 are all anyone would really want. Fuck 4. Even though the Mercenaries for 4 had one really nice battle at the end plus the arena, the mech building in it was so fucking annoying, especially from someone who played the tabletop every day during 2 summer vacations.

This, right here. 4 was such a disappointment. I need to play through 2 again. I got GBL off of Ebay a little while back (had everything but that back in the day) and haven't given it a spin yet, since DOSBox fixed the switching CDs issue.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Of the games you have, I'd start with MechCommander 1 and then 2. They're pretty good real time strategy games.

MechAssault is pretty arcadey, but for $5 it's probably worth a playthrough. Dunno if anyone's still online. MA2 was pretty bad, in my opinion -- too much time spent out of the 'Mechs. And I vaguely remember the story was kind of ridiculous, even by giant robot standards.

All the console titles were pretty arcadey, though. MW2 for the Playstation and Saturn got a similar treatment (powerups added, customization taken out). Mechwarrior and MW3050 for the SNES made MechAssault look like, I dunno, Falcon 4.0 or something.

===

Personally, I think all the Mechwarrior PC games have their strengths, and each has its loyal crowd.

MW1
    Pros: Open-ended gameplay, contract negotiation, all the 'Mechs (8 of them, I think) have their playstyles and you can romp all over the AI with any of them.
    Cons: The RPG portion of the game, constituting the open-endedness, can basically be simulated in Microsoft Excel nowadays -- it's not particularly deep. It takes about an hour to beat the campaign, maybe three if you screw around. Graphics and sound are dated, obviously, as is the terrain engine.

MW2
    Pros: Wide variety of missions, in-game encyclopedia, great soundtrack, good immersion. MW2: Mercs has a semi-nonlinear campaign.
    Cons: Clans. Fuck the Clans. The whole game focuses on what I think is the most retarded part of BattleTech, and I never got very far because of this. Also, the weapons balance is supposedly pretty bad, and pulse lasers in particular can be completely game-breaking. Doesn't really matter in singleplayer, though, and I doubt many people are doing multiplayer nowadays (what with it being pre-Internet and all).

MW3
    Pros: If you're playing KB+M, this is the ideal choice, since it features a floating reticle. Good cockpit graphics. Deformable terrain, although this is more a graphics feature than a strategic consideration.
    Cons: The game kind of punishes joystick players, particularly if you install the Pirate's Moon expansion (they broke joystick throttle support, so you'd have to map it with your joystick software or something). Doesn't play well with XP (random things from the game not working to jump jets or slight collisions launching you into the stratosphere), don't know about Vista. Multiplayer is peer-to-peer, and the prediction isn't particularly good.

MW4 (Note: Just get MW4: Mercs, don't even bother with Vengeance or Black Knight)
    Pros: I liked the art style in MW4 a lot, particularly the concept art, although the fanatic crowd complains that about the liberties taken with the source art. MW4 is the only one worthwhile online, although I don't know if anyone still plays on public servers. I also think terrain was much improved over the other games, although I was amused to find out that people who live in the Midwest apparently find hills higher than 10m high appallingly unrealistic. There's also a set of fanmade mods that adds a lot of 'Mechs to the game, although I think they (mainly) only work in multiplayer mode.
    Cons: BattleTech fanatics hate this game a lot because it doesn't adhere very closely to the rules or the art.

Also worth mentioning:
    BattleTech: the Crescent Hawks' Revenge
    Kind of a prototypical RTS, and pretty fun if you can find it and want to run it through DOSBOX. Gives a pretty good feel for the BattleTech universe at the time of the (ugh) Clan invasion. I personally wouldn't recommend the first game, Crescent Hawks' Inception, which had turn-based combat, but a lot of people seem to have good memories of it.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechassault 2 for Xbox was a horrid, horrid disappointment. It would end up spawn camping in nearly every match. It was horrible. The game jacking mechanic was pretty lame too. They took mechassault 1 and just royally screwed it all up. I would still like to try mechwarrior 2. It really is too bad they are unable to make a decent mechwarrior game for a modern console.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    mw2gu8.png

Man, I haven't seen that game in years, since it first came out. Wow... the last time I saw that, those graphics blew me the fuck away.

Time flies.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MW2 had NetMech (or something) were you can play against other players over the net. It was pretty damn awesome as it allows you to change a number of variables. For shit and grins we always set gravity to maxium, and load up the heaviest and slowest mechs we can make. It would takes us 40 minutes to reach the other team...

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    4 is worth playing for the Solaris battles. Srrsly. They could make an entire game about being a mech jockey. I love the announcer.

I like 3 the most in general, but I've never played 2. I doubt I could play something so ugly.

I liked mechcommander 2, but I remember hearing it got a lot of flak for some reason or another. Whatever. How can you resist Urbies?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechwarrior2: Mercenaries was one of the best fucking games ever. I wish like fucking hell i could get it working on windows XP. I can get sound working,or a windowed version thats corrupted all to hell in graphics. And honestly,dropping a 100ton mech on top of a 40 ton mechs head was nothing but pure class. I remeber lanning on it with friends,we did alot of falling off cliffs and elemental wars,but damn it was as good as q2 before the mods hit.

Mw4 Was dumbed down for the Xbox. Enough is said,it couldve had massive potential but Microsoft butchered it to pander to you console bitches.

Vytae on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I've never played 2. I doubt I could play something so ugly.

o_O

Goddamn spoiled kids.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

o_O

Goddamn spoiled kids.

Hey, screw you, you condescending asshole.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So the general concensus is to track down the PC version of MW2 and it's mods, check out MW3, give MW4 a cursory glance, and also play the first MA and the MC games?

Einhander on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vytae wrote: »
    Mw4 Was dumbed down for the Xbox. Enough is said,it couldve had massive potential but Microsoft butchered it to pander to you console bitches.
    This would be a less insane theory if MW4 was ever on the Xbox.
    Einhander wrote:
    So the general concensus is to track down the PC version of MW2 and it's mods, check out MW3, give MW4 a cursory glance, and also play the first MA and the MC games?
    I think you ought to play MW4 and give MW3 a cursory glance, myself, but I wasn't a fan of the floating reticle. I think it depends mostly on how much you have invested in the BattleTech ruleset/artwork. I don't really care about the rules and actively dislike the artwork (in general), and liked MW4 fine.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    whoa now hey now battletech artwork is awesome

Given that all 4 games are cheap now, I'd suggest picking up MW3 and 4:Mercs (Not plain 4, which sucks, but Mechwarrior 4:Mercenaries, which does not such as much). The MW4 community is still pretty strong considering how old the game is, and the mektek stuff adds like, six dozen new mechs and weapons to the game. And elementals, which are rad.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Brolo on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    While we are at it, what about...

Battletech: Crescent Hawks' Inception

inception2.gif

That ole turn based strategy game where the best mech you could get was the Chameleon you 'stole' at the beginning of the game.

Battletech: Crescent Hawks' Revenge

revenge.jpg

Real time strategy where actions had an effect on the next level.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries is pure gold. Way ahead of its time.

And I loved MW4. Vengeance and Black Knight were decent, but man I got years of MW4: Mercs under my belt. Hiring new pilots and choosing their Mechs, choosing your side in the war. Multiplayer was incredible in its peak. Playing in a MW4:Mercs league was incredibly deep and competitive.

MA2 had a decent idea for multiplayer, but it failed in many regards. Fighting individual battles determined your chosen House's control of the galaxy. I played religously for a week, but it became incredibly elitist. If you weren't part of the top clans of your House, you were kicked. Singleplayer was horrible.

And man, the Clans were the best part of the story, you stravag. I was holding out for a MechWarrior 5 that told the story of the invasion or defeat at Tukayyid from the Clan's perspective.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited December 2007

o_O

Goddamn spoiled kids.

I'm condescending? I'm not the one referring to a perfectly fine graphical engine as "ugly", and refusing to play it because of said graphics, because it wasn't made this decade.

The game is fine and looks much better than the first generation of 3D accelerated games. Try playing Shadows of the Empire now.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

Oh man, Dark Reign and Heavy Gear files too at that link! 9th grade all over again.

I've got the CDs for all those and the Mechwarrior games too. Man oh man, getting that Marauder IIc in the demo for Mechwarrior II was killer. The only thing more satisfying then cruising around in that mech with my reactor always on the brink of shutdown was being in a TIE Defender.

Ah but yeah play them all if you get the chance, even Mechwarrior IV. It has its problems but it's still fun.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechwarrior 2, Ghost Bear's Legacy, and Mercenaries soundtracks from the composer's FTP.

The music contained therein is potentially awesome.

http://timur.iserver.net/mw2/sounds/startingup.wav

And oh lord... memories.

I sex you now. I forgot how wicked the music was. I remeber actually putting the gamedisc in my cdplayer simply for the music.

And i swear there was some sort of mechwarrior spam on the XboX. if not,im sorry. But im still blaming Microsoft and console hoes!

Vytae on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

o_O

Goddamn spoiled kids.

I'm condescending? I'm not the one referring to a perfectly fine graphical engine as "ugly", and refusing to play it because of said graphics, because it wasn't made this decade.

The game is fine and looks much better than the first generation of 3D accelerated games. Try playing Shadows of the Empire now.

I gotta side with you here, I had Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries at launch. I ran that thing on a Pentium 133, 40 megs of Ram and no graphics card and I thought it was gorgeous. Do you remember looking at the back of the box and seeing how it would look with one of those new "graphics cards"? So beautiful.

UberEv on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I am having trouble with Mechwarrior 4. It keeps on stuttering and hangs every few seconds.

I tried to play Mechwarrior 4. After the amazing experience of 3 I was ready for something new, only to get no farther htan the tutorial because i couldn't fucking stand the control scheme.

Why they decided the mouse shouldn't be used to aim anymore is beyond me...

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was definitely the best of the series.

God, I fucking loved that game.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man, Mechwarrior 2. Thats is the game that started me down the slippery slope known as video gaming. It came with a computer my family got when I was about 7. It was probably pretty much the only game I played for at least 2 years (besides NetMech, of course).

I think spending hours every day in Kali and NetMech when I was 8 years old made me a better human being.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I grew up with a mac, played warcraft and a few lucasarts games, which were all fantastic, but there were always so many other games that I wanted that I could not play due to having a mac. Around 1999 or 2000 I got a PC.

I asked my dad to get me a game with robots in it. He came home with Mechwarrior 3. Hell yes. This was my introduction to the battletech universe. I loved the hell out of it. I played it on MSN gaming zone where the game had an amazing community. With clans that formed leagues that conformed to the continuity of the games, this was amazing. I played so much, and made a lot of really good friends playing that game. I got the books too, which I really loved. They are a bit cheesy now that I go back to read them but they are still good, I love the story.

Mechwarrior 4 came out and not everybody made the transition, but the community was still around a little. I had fun with that to. Soon after that, however.. the abominations known as Mechassault 1 and 2 came out. I mean, taken on their own they are not bad. But compared to the rest... just no. The 'mechs can cloak? what? That was just the icing on the cake after Microsoft took the battletech universe and completely fucked it over. It was good, but they turned everything on its head and just ruined the storyline so hard. The good old days will never be back. Fuck Mechwarrior Dark Ages so hard.

But yeah. Mechwarrior 3 was good times.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I tried to play Mechwarrior 4. After the amazing experience of 3 I was ready for something new, only to get no farther htan the tutorial because i couldn't fucking stand the control scheme.

Huh? Wait a minute, I don't get that.

I used the mouse to aim for MW4.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes, I actually restored a top of the line Pentium 1 with max ram and a fairly decent sized hard drive so I could play these games. I left it at my folk's house and I played it a bit during christmas. MW 2 never gets old.

:^:

Not to shit on a MechWarrior thread, but Heavy Gear is also pretty awesome. My brother was more into the mech games, but I remember enjoying Heavy Gear for what it was.

Masonite on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Besides there is a very active MW4:Mercs online community, all about multiplayer warfare. A lot of community mods have enhanced the game and i THINK (i may be mistaken here) community expansion is 3.1 currently. Its a great game, but you need to hack the registry to get to community servers because M$ shut down the goddamed main servers (thanks especially for that M$).

The community is found here (along with the community expansions, just ask in the forum)
    http://www.mektek.net/joomla/index.php
    A piece of the action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylf2oQyCNOA
    And i am proud to say thats me playing ^^

ACSIS on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Edit: i never get accustomesd to post being read upwards

ACSIS on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

Huh? Wait a minute, I don't get that.

I used the mouse to aim for MW4.

I probably should have tweaked the controls or something, but it didn't occur to me at the time (cause I'm retarded), and the default scheme annoyed the living shit out of me and made it impossible to focus on what I was doing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    supermauerbrossupermauerbros Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechwarrior is full of win, I would lime this thread if I could.

Mechwarrior 2 (and to a certain extent its immediate sequels GBL and Mercs) will always be my favorite.

The atmosphere and design of Mech2 left a lasting impression on me. Devoid of lame voice acting and pre-determined character role, I was forced to use my imagination to fill in the gaps. I know, such a thing would be unspeakable in a game today but back then it was wonderful and immersive.

I feel Mech2 is superior to 3 and 4 because things were still grounded in the tabletop universe. You could mix and match weapons how you saw fit because spots (criticals) were used instead of things like "Missle-only" areas like in Mech4. The in game world represented these choices fairly accurately. Wanna put a laser on your head? Go ahead and watch a single laser beam fire out of your head area in the game. Wanna store all your ammo in your left torso? Sure, but don't be surprised to see a solid shot from another mech ignite your ammo taking a good chunk of your mech with it. This kind of stuff might have been present in 3 because I got the least far in that one, but I know it wasn't in 4.

Mech 2 also had awesome visualization modes. There was night vision ("Vision - Enchancement - Engaged"), an awesome wireframe mode for some reason, and a satellite up-link view where you could view and zoom into yourself from a top down perspective.

I bought the titanium versions of the Mech2 trilogy and was kinda disappointed. Basically they existed as a way to get the series to run well on Win98 and use basic texture mapping and light sourcing. For some reason they decided to take out the 1024x768 option from the original, which was cool as hell, especially for a game released in 1995. Also, in order to fit that new version of the game and keep the old version they truncated all the music tracks, which is what has kept my love of this game burning for so long. So, Rolo, thanks for that link. I've had the music ripped to my hard drive forever, but now I get to know the track names. "Pyre Light" sounds a hell of a lot cooler than "Track 12."

Fuck I just remembered that in Mech2 you could actually call in air support, and in the later games you could pilot an "elemental" suit, which was kinda like the Battletech universe's EXO suit. God damn what a cool game.

No fanboy ramble would be complete without some favorite mechs:

First the magnificent Timberwolf (Mad Cat in subsequent games):

mech05wf9.jpg

And for some reason I always loved this guy, the Marauder IIc:

tromarauder2wu2.jpg

supermauerbros on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I played a bit of MechAssault last night, and holy crap it's awesome. Maybe it's because I haven't really played any of the Mech sims, but I'm having a blast running around and just blowing shit up. That huge, 50 story building? Bam, throw a few missiles into it and it's a pile of rubble. That airplane hangar? Same thing.

Hey, you, pumping station looking thing, I don't like the way you looked at me have some missiles oh now you're a pile of debris.

For an action game, it's really good. I'm trying to track down some of the sims for the PC, I'm curious to see how differently they play. The only thing I really wish is that I could actually customise my mech, which I understand is a key part of the PC Mech games.

Einhander on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would settle for a remake of Mechwarrior 2. For me, it's the best game in the series. Mercenaries tried some cool stuff, but it had some very annoying missions, and the soundtrack wasn't as good. I also like the clans more, but that's a personal matter.

Many of the old school classics have gone open-source, and have thus received a number of graphical updates and mods from the fan community over the years. This has not happened with Mechwarrior 2. I want to play the game again, but I can never get it to run, not even in DOSbox. It's such a crime that nothing has been done with it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.