As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something I realized about the silly "Merry Christmas" "debate"

2»

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To engage with one of grendel824_'s actual points, which seem to have been side-stepped by most people: I wouldn't really like being wished a Happy Hannukah / whatever by people; I don't celebrate it and am indifferent to having a 'good one'. Wishing "Merry Christmas" on people that are obviously not Christian (turbans and kippahs ahoy) also puts you on shaky ground - it doesn't take a wildly fertile imagination for a member of a religious minority to think "why did they feel the need to wish me one" and feel a little unerved.

Also, the UK has America totally beaten when it comes to the War on Xmas (shit I abbreviated it!) hysteria; we've been doing it for years. O'Reilly must have just caught onto it by reading one of our papers.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The whole "war on christmas" thing is just manufactured Fox News nonsense. Brought to you by the Christian majority who want everyone to think they are "oppressed".

Bill O'Reilly kicked it off a couple of years ago with a 'special report' made up out of whole cloth, if you want someone specific to hate on.

Is "made up out of whole cloth" Australian slang for "complete bullshit"?
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume it is ;-)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The whole "war on christmas" thing is just manufactured Fox News nonsense. Brought to you by the Christian majority who want everyone to think they are "oppressed".

Bill O'Reilly kicked it off a couple of years ago with a 'special report' made up out of whole cloth, if you want someone specific to hate on.

One of the other talking heads, John Gibson or someone with a name that sounds just like that, wrote a book on it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Granted, if you're offended by that you've got to be TRYING really hard to find things to be offended by.

That is basically it.

The kind of people who are offended by "merry christmas" are the people who are offended because you look at them the wrong way, or something.

Best thing to do is to ignore them. The more you respond, the more you validate their silly angst.

ege02 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I used to work part time for a retailer called Dick Smith (electrical/consumer electronics chain) and we had to answer the phone "Merry Christmas from Dick Smith Electronics, you are speaking to X" November-December. Anyway the phone rang while a friend and I were at the tills, he answered it but was clearly still thinking about something else and said in greeting "Merry Dickmass from Christmas Electronics...." at which point he realised what he was saying and made a recovery.

Happily it seems that most people who call up a store at that time of year don't actually really listen properly, so that was as far as it went.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Merry Dickmas. That's a new one.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I used to work part time for a retailer called Dick Smith (electrical/consumer electronics chain) and we had to answer the phone "Merry Christmas from Dick Smith Electronics, you are speaking to X" November-December. Anyway the phone rang while a friend and I were at the tills, he answered it but was clearly still thinking about something else and said in greeting "Merry Dickmass from Christmas Electronics...." at which point he realised what he was saying and made a recovery.

Happily it seems that most people who call up a store at that time of year don't actually really listen properly, so that was as far as it went.

Gooood morning sir, my name's Miiiiiike, I'm calling from Feed Spaghetti Through Your Japseye Until Your Balls Turn Bluetooth Solutions Limited. Could I ask you some questions about your personal hygiene?

Amazing how many people ignore what you actually say.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »

Gooood morning sir, my name's Miiiiiike, I'm calling from Feed Spaghetti Through Your Japseye Until Your Balls Turn Bluetooth Solutions Limited. Could I ask you some questions about your personal hygiene?

Amazing how many people ignore what you actually say.

We used to play that game as well. It was amazing what you could say and get away with based on 1) customers only hearing what they expect to hear and 2) a lot of people seem to like the cheeky salesman
    angle.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Or they aren't intrested in what's coming out of your mouth since you either 1) called them (in the case of the fonejacker) and weren't looking for you or 2) know the number they called, assuming no dialing error and know why they are calling. :roll:

Satan. on