As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Console] Teeth gnashing continues, but hey, Ys I guess

• Options
    piccpicc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    At long last, Ys Book 1 & 2 and Samurai Shodown are out today, for reals!
    http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16091

picc on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Excellent. The only problem is that now that Europe has Super Mario RPG, no one cares.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guys guess what i'm going to buy from VC today
    SMRPG

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guess which game I played ten years ago?
    Super Mario RPG

Couscous on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys is a sweet game.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, are you fucking kidding me.

Oh no, it's fine. I didn't want SMRPG. I'm perfectly fine with stupid bullshit filler that nobody's ever heard of.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Actually the Ys games are pretty well respected among the hardcore RPG community and Samurai Shodown is a good fighting game series (although it's hard to get excited about the 1st game when you just know they'll release the sequels eventually).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Ys is actually a little intriguing. I might pick this one up.

Elendil on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Overall, this is actually a pretty good week. Ys is excellent.

Sure, I'd prefer Super Mario RPG, but still...

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gentlemen - it's Samurai Showdown II. It's the best one of the series and possibly one of the best 2d fighters ever. Get excited, you mooks.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wooo, yes! Ys! That was the first CD-based game I ever saw. It was the first time I'd seen a game with actual voice acting. I know a lot of people will probably be put off by the combat. It's real time, but you don't swing your sword or anything. You just bump into enemies before they bump into you.

I recall there being magic spells that you can cast though.

edit: Too bad I have no fucking room on my Wii for this game. Guess I'll have to clean out the fridge. :(

SteevL on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys 1+2 and SS2 and people are complaining???

I said wow.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually the Ys games are pretty well respected among the hardcore RPG community and Samurai Shodown is a good fighting game series (although it's hard to get excited about the 1st game when you just know they'll release the sequels eventually).

See, the problem is that they're being released on the Wii. A port of Barbie Horse Adventures or 102 Dalmatians would have done much better.

;)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys is a pretty neat thing for you guys to get, in fact.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ys has great music.

SteevL on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have the feeling NA VC could have gotten Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Majora's Mask today, and there would still be people whining, "GAAAH it isn't Super Mario RPG fuck you Nintendo!!!!!1!!one!" Come on, Euroland gets raped on most everything else in gaming, and they've never gotten the game before. Why shouldn't they get something like that before us United Statesians? Also, since Japanland got SMRPG in June and PAL-land in August, I bet it will be on NA VC by November. (I am not willing to bet my cock on this. Maybe some fingernail clippings would do? If they're good enough for voodoo, they're good enough for pointless Internet wagers!)

SamSho II and Ys is an awesome update. I'd grab SamSho if it wasn't for the upcoming Anthology, but I will grab Ys.

Norfair on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good thing I didn't post my initial reaction to today's update. For some reason, deep down, I knew we wouldn't be getting Super Mario RPG today because that's how Nintendo rolls. It's a shame I never owned a Neo Geo AES or Turbografx-16 CD or I'd be all over today's update like the King of Town over a tub of "I can't believe it's not butter."

At least I'm reassured that Super Mario RPG will be coming out here in the near future. Speaking of which, I recall that Europe got Sin & Punishment before us. How long was the gap between the release over there and here?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Good thing I didn't post my initial reaction to today's update. For some reason, deep down, I knew we wouldn't be getting Super Mario RPG today because that's how Nintendo rolls. It's a shame I never owned a Neo Geo AES or Turbografx-16 CD or I'd be all over today's update like the King of Town over a tub of "I can't believe it's not butter."

At least I'm reassured that Super Mario RPG will be coming out here in the near future. Speaking of which, I recall that Europe got Sin & Punishment before us. How long was the gap between the release over there and here?

It was like a week. SMRPG will be here soon. Very soon.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Meh you are entitled to your opinion but I just don't understand people who buy VC games to relive games they've already played. I've never played Ys but I like RPGs, it's apparently Zeldaish, and gets a lot of respect so I'll try it out.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man Ys 1 and 2 are getting remade for the DS so who cares about their VC release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6lJR1xBug

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    Man Ys 1 and 2 are getting remade for the DS so who cares about their VC release

A few years ago, I downloaded some video games music medley some guy did. It had a song on it that sounded really, really familiar, but I couldn't place it. A few years later, I realized it was Ys. But somehow, I forgot it again. It's only until now that you've posted this video that I remember, and hopefully will not forget. So for that, I thank you, sir!

By the way, the song I'm talking about is the one that plays during the second half of the video.

SteevL on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arceus wrote: »

Both those games came out 5 months ago, and there's been no word of them being released outside of Japan. If anything, this VC release might be getting used to judge whether or not there would be interest here for the DS games, which is all the more reason to buy this one now.

Cantide on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DS versions are buggy and have shitty controls. This version does not.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dritz wrote: »

Meh you are entitled to your opinion but I just don't understand people who buy VC games to relive games they've already played. I've never played Ys but I like RPGs, it's apparently Zeldaish, and gets a lot of respect so I'll try it out.

Zelda-like you say? I may just look into that...

Also, how on earth do you pronounce Ys? Is it "Wise" or something else?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys 1+2 and SS2 and people are complaining???

I said wow.

It wouldn't of been so bad had nintendo launched Ys 1 + 2 BEFORE super mario RPG in EU. Nintendo just takes joy in not wanting money. Because, of course, They are rich as fuck.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NOA backed themselves into a corner this week between their own (or Capcom/Hudson/SNK's) previous nonsense

Capcom/Hal/SNK - Y's,Megaman and Samuari Showdown II this week! Cuz we said so!
    NOA - No, fuck you, CapHudNk. The consumers get Sonic SMS and Splaterhouse 2 this week. Be glad we didn't feel sadisic enough to throw up Superman 64 and Superman NES on their lawn instead) the Wii-kly updates are law, bitch and I declared no swords in a all warrior mission

And NOE's rather generous first week of their third Hanbai festival.

Ether NOA put up the face of a company that was puppeteerin' other companies calls or they get shown up by their hilariously ineffectual (Keep in mind that NOE are the same company that took seveal months after the US release of SmaBro Brawl to announce a street date which was a few months still) European branch.

Not that it matters all that much to me, Cuz I'm up at my grandparents' house for the week and I VC'd SMRPG the hour before the seven hour drive up here, but I think my American compadres might want to muse on it for a while.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    At least the griping shifted away from Earthbound for a week.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From what I understand, it's pronounced the same as "ease."

I don't recall where I heard this exactly, though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    From what I understand, it's pronounced the same as "ease."

I don't recall where I heard this exactly, though.

According to Wikipedia it's pronounced /ˈiːs/ so I believe your right (I think).

EDIT: Looked up Pronunciation guide, you're right. Pronounced "ease"

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Y's is excellent. I'll purchase it right away. Wonderful music, good story, and some ok graphics. I sort of like not having to push a button to fight; it seems like busy work on some games.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Anyone who would have bought that has already injected it into thier wiis via the Twilight Hack, custom banner that plays the guitar part of the final battle theme with an animated image of the static of the intro fading into the "WAR AGAINST GIGYAS" splash screen and all.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Anyone who would have bought that has already injected it into thier wiis via the Twilight Hack already, custom banner that plays the guitar part of the final battle theme with an animated image of the static of the intro fading into the "WAR AGAINST GIGYAS" splash screen and everything.

Those people would still buy it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys? I never played Ys. Should I play Ys?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Anyone who would have bought that has already injected it into thier wiis via the Twilight Hack already, custom banner that plays the guitar part of the final battle theme with an animated image of the static of the intro fading into the "WAR AGAINST GIGYAS" splash screen and everything.

Those people would still buy it.
    Yeah, probably Brick, unbrick and unblacklist thier Wiis to do so after injecting the VC rom.

Earthbound Fans are, if nothing else, persistent.

Nevermind the fact that Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) is as lost as Secret of Mana 2 (Seken Dunsetsu 3) (Something that could do good for a Hanbai Festival translation and release too) in the "When the hell is this going to get a localisation that I can legaly purchace).

Conan-san on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I remember playing one of the Ys. games on the SNES (Ys 3, I think?). It was a pretty decent side-scrolling ARPG. So, maybe.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Norfair wrote: »
    I have the feeling NA VC could have gotten Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Majora's Mask today, and there would still be people whining, "GAAAH it isn't Super Mario RPG fuck you Nintendo!!!!!1!!one!"

Not likely. All of the games you mentioned are very high profile titles (higher profile than SMRPG for that matter). Ys & SS are both quality games, but they're niche titles since they were on less successful hardware.

Oh and the SNES Ys that was released in the States was #3. It's the odd one in the series since it's a sidescrolling RPG and all of the others are top-down.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just watched some videos of Ys 6 (for the PSP / PS2 / PC) and it seems mostly action the whole time, are you guys sure it is like Zelda? It looks more like the Mana series or something.

Arceus on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah Ys 3 is the Zelda 2 of the series.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Norfair wrote: »
    I have the feeling NA VC could have gotten Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Majora's Mask today, and there would still be people whining, "GAAAH it isn't Super Mario RPG fuck you Nintendo!!!!!1!!one!"

Not likely. All of the games you mentioned are very high profile titles (higher profile than SMRPG for that matter). Ys & SS are both quality games, but they're niche titles since they were on less successful hardware.

Oh and the SNES Ys that was released in the States was #3. It's the odd one in the series since it's a sidescrolling RPG and all of the others are top-down.

Rainbow, People would still complain out of the need to complain. Its human nature. I would. Why? My annoying brothers never let me finish SMB-RPG

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ys intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEp4Fi9kb_Q

Yeah, it's kind of hokey now, but it was amazing back then!

Ys gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bnJYxGfik

SteevL on
This discussion has been closed.