Options

What the hell is the matter with my 360?

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Everyone knows about the 3 Red Rings of Death. Microsoft has been kind enough to offer those afflicted with a generous return policy. That's awesome.

However, my problem is a little different. Shortly after the release of The Orange Box, my console would rev its cooling fans up louder and louder over a long period of time, even in the dashboard, before the system would gently shut itself off, leaving me with 2 Red Rings in the Top Left and Bottom Left quadrant of the display. The Power button would stop responding, and I'd have to unplug the console from the outlet and plug it back in. Future attempts to use the system were met with the same error, in the same way.

The error I am describing refers to "system overheating" as opposed to the RRoD's "General Hardware Failure". These are, in actuality, two different errors apparently caused by the same thing: excessive heat. However, my 360 was not only in operation for what must have been a few minutes, but was cool to the touch both times.

Upon calling Microsoft support, the agent was supportive and friendly, but basically explained to me that I am not covered under their free replacement plan because of the missing bottom right quadrant. By a little coaxing, I managed to get him to admit that my system was not yet "broken enough", and that soon my system would most likely display the common affliction and thus be covered under their plan.

Well, days went by, and my system repeated the same symptoms, and out of desperation, I tried the towel trick. It worked.

Today it is beginning to display it's original symptoms. It's hard for me to commit to playing the console, or buying games for it, when it isn't in reliable shape to be played. Has anyone on these boards had the same problems that I've been having? I would actually be less irritated if the standard RRoD was in effect, but this is a console that has been babied and cared for since its purchase no more than two years ago. Any insight is appreciated.

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd call them and just say you have the RRoD. Tell them you've seen the RRoD, and that it alternates between that and the 2 red lights you are getting.

If you see the RRoD once that should be enough to get you covered.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'd call them and just say you have the RRoD. Tell them you've seen the RRoD, and that it alternates between that and the 2 red lights you are getting.

If you see the RRoD once that should be enough to get you covered.

Hmm. Is this the kind of thing that they will deny if they can't reproduce the problem for themselves?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png