As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Debates

18910111214»

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hoz wrote: »

Very interesting. If this group is even vaguely like a cross-section of primary voters on Tuesday, Hillary is done.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jebu wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    Wow. Just watched this and Edwards knocked it out of the park. Clinton and Obama didn't do badly, but... damn. Edwards was just sweating passion and conviction.

I can't wait for Richardson to drop out of this race. He wasted so much time saying absolutely nothing.

I actually liked his calming interjections and thought he kept the debate focusing on the questions. I think he was a better moderator than the official one. If he'd stop campaigning while he was at it he'd be golden.

heh.

That's basically what drives me nuts about him. He'll start out saying something compelling that puts him in contrast to the other candidates... and then repeatedly list off all the things he's done like a checklist. He just sounds like he's begging for the job rather than showing why he should have it.
    That's Clinton's and Richardson's problem, they're losing because they're unlikable people trying to sell themselves. Obama and Edwards are winning because they're likable people trying to sell a message.

Not that's not.

Richardson's problem is that nobody heard of him before. Clintons problem is that she is disliked by independents and even a portion of her democratic base for past policy and her current hatred of the free press.

Nobody knows enough about Richardson's background to form an opinion on him, and anybody who knows anything about Clintons dislikes it.

Who they are as people has very little to do with this.

The problem with your argument is that the reason Clinton is disliked by these groups is because she has a history of being a bitch.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does anyone know where there is a video of the whole thing?

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jebu on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    Wow. Just watched this and Edwards knocked it out of the park. Clinton and Obama didn't do badly, but... damn. Edwards was just sweating passion and conviction.

I can't wait for Richardson to drop out of this race. He wasted so much time saying absolutely nothing.

I actually liked his calming interjections and thought he kept the debate focusing on the questions. I think he was a better moderator than the official one. If he'd stop campaigning while he was at it he'd be golden.

heh.

That's basically what drives me nuts about him. He'll start out saying something compelling that puts him in contrast to the other candidates... and then repeatedly list off all the things he's done like a checklist. He just sounds like he's begging for the job rather than showing why he should have it.
    That's Clinton's and Richardson's problem, they're losing because they're unlikable people trying to sell themselves. Obama and Edwards are winning because they're likable people trying to sell a message.

Not that's not.

Richardson's problem is that nobody heard of him before. Clintons problem is that she is disliked by independents and even a portion of her democratic base for past policy and her current hatred of the free press.

Nobody knows enough about Richardson's background to form an opinion on him, and anybody who knows anything about Clintons dislikes it.

Who they are as people has very little to do with this.

The problem with your argument is that the reason Clinton is disliked by these groups is because she has a history of being a bitch.

How come when a woman is assertive and headstrong she's a bitch, but when a man like Patton is assertive and headstrong he's venerated?
    I may or may not believe this, I just want to see your response to such a question

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hillary's assertiveness comes across as fakey, while Patton just seems brash and confident.

Edit: What was the shot that backfired on Hillary? I don't want to watch the whole thing.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Hillary's assertiveness comes across as fakey, while Patton just seems brash and confident.

Edit: What was the shot that backfired on Hillary? I don't want to watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIsJKRajvKw

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    When is the next Dem debate?

Satan. on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    The 15th.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »

You know, is it bad that I have more respect for her now? That was probably the first time I've seen her speak that sounded honest and heartfelt, and not just more politiking.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

You know, is it bad that I have more respect for her now? That was probably the first time I've seen her speak that sounded honest and heartfelt, and not just more politiking.

not on its own, no.

in the context of the rest of the debate, though, it made Hillary seem very much on the defensive against the tag team of Obama and Edwards, and it also made Obama seem like the more reasoned candidate.

it could go both ways. Hillary doesn't need things going for her both ways, she needs them going her way.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It was an honest moment of frustration with the narrative that's been slapped on her by the media, which is somewhat admirable, but it sure as hell isn't going to win her any votes.

Jebu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I agree with Jebu. She had a good point, but it was muddied by the fact that she was pissed-off and answering off the cuff - something her husband could do well, but she cannot.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just know that if Biden had beaten Richardson at Iowa, he would have torn that stage up.

=/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It was an honest moment of frustration with the narrative that's been slapped on her by the media, which is somewhat admirable, but it sure as hell isn't going to win her any votes.

She's been briging this up over and over since the debate. I heard her speak on NPR this morning, and I got to work, turned on Good Morning America, and heard the same exact words later. She'll do her best to attempt to make it work out in her favour.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg