As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 backwards compat clear up

13»

• squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Wait, so the 40GB PS3 PAL model has no backwards compatibility, at all? Like, not even software?

What the hell?

It plays PS1 games fine, just not PS2. If you want an explanation then I suggest you actually read the thread.
    My post was kind of rhetorical but hey. So, it seems like BC is more or less impossible with the 40GB model.. well, just won't be bothered with.

Awesome Sony.

Oh well, hopefully in a few months when the next SKU is out they decided to go back on their seemingly stupid decision and I'll buy a PS3.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wait, so the 40GB PS3 PAL model has no backwards compatibility, at all? Like, not even software?

What the hell?

It plays PS1 games fine, just not PS2. If you want an explanation then I suggest you actually read the thread.
    My post was kind of rhetorical but hey. So, it seems like BC is more or less impossible with the 40GB model.. well, just won't be bothered with.

Awesome Sony.

Oh well, hopefully in a few months when the next SKU is out they decided to go back on their seemingly stupid decision and I'll buy a PS3.
    The 80 gigs supposidly getting a PAL release sometime this year. It'll have software emulation and from what I can tell using the software emulation, it's quite good. Only problem I've had so far is some stuttering on FFX cutscenes.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You guys missed out on the controllers. Amazon had the sixaxis for $20 during X-mas sale.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Svelte PenguinSvelte Penguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So does everyone else hve the problem where their PS3 controller cuts out for about 5 seconds once per hour or so? It's totally maddening. I love running around in CoD 4 then suddenly pirouetting and getting shot in the face. It happens in every game without fail, including backwards compatible stuff. From what I hear it's some bluetooth issue.

Svelte Penguin on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So does everyone else hve the problem where their PS3 controller cuts out for about 5 seconds once per hour or so? It's totally maddening. I love running around in CoD 4 then suddenly pirouetting and getting shot in the face. It happens in every game without fail, including backwards compatible stuff. From what I hear it's some bluetooth issue.

I have had the same thing happen, and yes, it is quite annoying.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dis_quiet wrote: »
    Here's my question. I've seen lots of comments saying that the PS3 is quieter than the 360. But my PS3 sounds like a jet engine. Seriously, though, the noise level is about the equivalent of a medium sized room fan. It's loud enough to be distracting when watching a DVD. And it's fan noise, not drive noise. If it sits completely idle for a minute or so, the fan slows down to what I consider a reasonable level. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my refurbed unit?

I own both. I bought an Elite not that long ago, and stupidly bought one of the older chipset models. So, the system noise is a little louder on mine than it is on the newer ones rolling out. I can tell when it's on, but it's not distracting. The DRIVE noise on the 360, however... is TERRIBLE. I can't imagine watching a DVD on it, it's so loud. On my PS3, I can't even tell when it's on. If it's spinning a disc, If I'm listening for it, I can tell, but it normally doesn't bother me at all. If your PS3 is making THAT level of noise, I would definitely get it checked on.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes your PS3 should not be loud. If it is you should call SONY to get a replacement. (I heard some a firmware issue where the fans would spin at max speed all the time) I hate loud electronics its the main reason I didn't use the XBMC much on my xbox.

Some people complaing about controller wireless issues while others, (like myself) have never had the problem. I think it helps that while I do have wifi in my house nothing in my Entertainment center uses it. (I have an ethernet switch for the TiVo and ps3) I also don't have a 360 whose controllers use the same frequency range.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.