As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Newbie Phalla] 1: Mafia || 2: Giovanni || 3: INNS Victory || GAMES OVER!

• Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Would it be possible for me to sign up, mainly because I've only played one game in the last few months, and screwed a lot of it up. If not, I guess that means I'm a Vet, right? What is the official ranking system of Phallians? Anyway, if I can't sign up, I'll reserve.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think i have 4 Phallas experience so I guess I'll Reserve for right now.

Maximus on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Squashua wrote: »
    lodwilk wrote: »
    !sign up
    Would love to get in one one of these. I have 0 experience in them, mainly because the ones had here were so full of veterans I feared the ass kicking I would receive.

Vets do not normally attack new players in these in order to curb discouragement with new players (though, it's been known to happen), with Toxic Toys being a notable exception (at least in the Christmas Phalla) due to having a very unfortunate name.

That is so true.

Plus the Christmas phalla was a different beast then normal game. It was like a 12 or 6 hours vote time. From what I've seen, most of the time you get 24 hours.

I like that there is a new player game. People can get their feet wet with out wondering why they should for zot.:P

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I assume it's encouraged to play Diplomacy on the side via PMs? IE, to contact others with information that may or may not be actually true in the attempt to manipulate them into doing what you hope they will? I know there are people who might frown on that sort of thing, but they don't seem to be the sort to enjoy a game like this.

The trick is, not to get caught doing so.

Manipulating is all fine and dandy, but you have to be careful that you don't slip up and reveal too much, or find out you've been feeding information to the other side.

Shamus Pro Tip #4: Don't be afraid to speak your mind, even if a bandwagon swings your way. The worst thing you can do is blindly follow the leader.

Shamus on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I assume it's encouraged to play Diplomacy on the side via PMs? IE, to contact others with information that may or may not be actually true in the attempt to manipulate them into doing what you hope they will? I know there are people who might frown on that sort of thing, but they don't seem to be the sort to enjoy a game like this.

Advice: Contacting other Players outside of the Phalla Thread
    PMs, IMs, proboards, etc. Any and all outside contact is encouraged.

[size=+2]PHALLA NO NO's[/size]

Alternate Account Usage
    - No anonymous contact, whatsoever.
    - Do not create an alt to use to post info anonymously.
    - Do not pretend to be a different player when contacting another player.

Advice: Role PM Forwarding / Distributing Role information
    It is generally OK to PARAPHRASE your role PM.
    - If you are a vigilante role, you can come right out and say so. Just don't quote your PM verbatim, unless the rules say you can.

It is generally NOT OK to FORWARD or QUOTE your role PM
    - Unless specified "OK" by the rules, you are generally not allowed to forward or directly quote any portion of your ROLE PM to any other player for the purposes of confirming your role.
    - Villager roles are generally sent to EVERYONE, regardless of their actual identity, in order to help hide the mafia and special players.
    - If your role comes with a hosted image (generally themed Phalla games do this), do not compare the URL to other players in order to validate your identity.
    - Try not to forward other Game Master-sent PMs for the purposes of role validation.
    - Once your role is confirmed 100% with your teammates (generally just mafia-side players or mason-group players who are 100% connected/confirmed), you may break this rule with each other.
    - It is possible to use key words in your post to unite smaller groups. For example, the recent "Teen Titans" Phalla had 2 separate mafia groups, who both were given the words "shared victory". One player (me) used those words in many consecutive posts to try and contact the other group, risking being caught by an observant villager. Unfortunately, the other group never caught on.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Seriously wrote: »
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Though Zerinan didn't believe me apparently :(

I believed you. Does that count?

I as well.

I didn't. Wait, you were talking about me. I have this problem with paranoia whenever I'm evil or a special, it tends to mess things up. And I wasn't the only one to attack you! I do feel that my power was wasted, because I attacked a dead guy, and didn't attack the second time.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Advice: Regarding Death Posts
    - Once you are dead in the game, you should stop posting about the game mechanics / speculation.
    - Generally most games allow ONE goodbye post / ghost post. This post must be innocuous and must contain zero confirmations of speculation whatsoever.
    - Occasionally, some players (I've got a bad rep for it) ghost-post a couple more times, but usually just to take swings at joke set-ups.

Example of a good ghost post #1
    Damn you, whoever killed me. I'm going to grudge you next game.

OOooooOOOOOooOOOOOooooooo...

Example of a good ghost post #2
    I can't believe you guys voted me off the island. Boo.

OOooooOOOOOooOOOOOooooooo...

Example of a bad ghost post
    Oh well, I'm dead and the narration proved my identity to be the vigilante. Make sure you guys kill {name of character who is currently speculated to be evil, but totally not confirmed}, I'm confirming that he's a bad guy!

Squashua on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it acceptable to, for some unknowable strategem, not use one's special abilties on a given day deliberately? Each game seems to have a series of special rules, and withdrawing assistance is one of many diplomatic strats. It's mostly curiosity on my part that asks.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    MemnoMemno Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    !Sign up .

As a complete phalla newbie and general lurker this appeals to me. I remember playing Murder as a kid in cubs.

Memno on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Advice : Taking Advantage of the Vote Close
    Usually, depending on the Game Master, there is a very brief period of time between when the vote is closed (meaning all voting and special / mafia actions are frozen) and the summary of actions taken is posted.

Many players (usually Villager-Friendly Vigilante or Mafia pretending to be Vigilante Roles) take advantage of this time to announce the targets that they have killed that round, in order to prove that they have the ability to kill other players.

Essentially, if they can beat the narration / results with their post, that pretty much proves that they do have that ability (presuming their target really is killed).

In certain themed Phalla games, this strategy can backfire with Mafia pretending to be Vigilante, as many themed Phalla games reveal whether or not someone was killed by the Mafia. Before pretending to be a Vigilante Role, a Mafia Role player should check with the Game Master as to whether they will be revealed as the killer.

Advice: Editing your Posts
    - Generally, you can go back and edit any post you make.
    - Avoid editing any post in which you made a vote.
    - Do not edit posts containing votes after 5 minutes of time pass; this is considered cheating.
    - If ninja-editing a post because you put too much information out, or accidentally revealed yourself, be careful; Players watch these threads like HAWKS and generally catch any change you make.

If your change is innocuous, it is common courtesy (and only to your own benefit) to slap a "Edit: Reason I edited" at the end of your post.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it acceptable to, for some unknowable strategem, not use one's special abilties on a given day deliberately? Each game seems to have a series of special rules, and withdrawing assistance is one of many diplomatic strats. It's mostly curiosity on my part that asks.

I 2nd the question.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just a question, is ghost posting the lyrics to 'Still Alive' by Jonathan Coulton a good or a bad ghost post? I probably should have asked first, but still.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

I 2nd the question.

Ask the moderator. There are times where certain abilities must be used every night for whatever reasons.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Advice: Game Participation and Ability Usage
    For strategic purposes, unless the rules FORCE you to use an ability, you may usually have the option to choose to not use an ability.

In addition, some players of special roles choose to NOT vote on particular days in order to appear to be a "disappointed villager role".

Not voting on any particular day is generally discouraged; many Game Masters have instituted rules that govern inactivity, from replacing the player to simply booting them from the game. Keep an eye on the OP for the thread and read the rules requirements for participation carefully.

Participation / Inactivity is known to swell on weekends and holidays.

A notorious Phalla participant, "Doug Grammar" is well known to sign up to Phalla games and expressly NOT play them; I know that as a Game Master, I have blacklisted him.

Advice: Plain Villager Roles
    Regarding getting a plain villager role (slang: a "vanillager"), Ardor will eventually log on here to explain that every villager player's vote is beneficial to the village, whether or not they have a special role. This is true as long as the vote is an informed vote.

Additionally, some themed phallas give out "items" and "bonus abilities" to villagers after a certain number of rounds have passed. If you are a villager, do not despair; keep your wits about you and help out your Village.

Other Themed phalla games give villagers named characters. This is a helpful label that allows you to potentially prove your role as an innocent.

Squashua on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    !I would like to volunteer for being a cohost. I would be a newbie cohost

durax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Can we kill the vanillager term once and for all? Don't teach the new Phallians terms like that!

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zerinan wrote: »
    Can we kill the vanillager term once and for all? Don't teach the new Phallians terms like that!

Agreed. That term confused the hell out of me for the longest time.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just a question, is ghost posting the lyrics to 'Still Alive' by Jonathan Coulton a good or a bad ghost post? I probably should have asked first, but still.

It doesn't prove anything, so that's fine. Plus, some players thought it was pretty cool.

Personally, I love to post "Look Away" from The Venture Bros.

I think a really bad example of a recent death post is this one, as I believe the role of Connor being a good/bad/neutral is currently in question. Of course, that particular phalla allows some roles to talk from the grave, so he might actually be able to do that.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I like vanilla. Especially when it's fake vanilla.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    ZepplinZepplin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ive played 2 phalla i think, but its been a while so this should be great. if there are spots left anyways.

!sign up

Zepplin on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It doesn't prove anything, so that's fine.

I don't believe I know that song...
    Edit: And I mean, it seems like posting the lyrics could annoy some people. It does technically give the game ending away. Not like I've ever worried about that though.

But Vanillager is a horrible flavor! It doesn't even taste like vanilla, it taste mainly like people.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good lord.

Are those of us who aren't that into strategery and hammering F5 still going to enjoy this game?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Good lord.

Are those of us who aren't that into strategery and hammering F5 still going to enjoy this game?

Well, I fail at strategy, even when I try, and I have fun, but I'm also an F5 masher. You'll have fun, trust me! ... Muwahahaha!

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I like thingfs that taste like people. Especially if those people are yummy people.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Edit: And I mean, it seems like posting the lyrics could annoy some people. It does technically give the game ending away. Not like I've ever worried about that though.

But Vanillager is a horrible flavor! It doesn't even taste like vanilla, it taste mainly like people.
    which taste like chicken,

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good lord.

The best advice I can give is to not listen to those of us who have played a number of games here and just have fun. You don't need to be into strategery or constantly watching the thread to have fun. I usually enjoy picking on other players I enjoy playing with for no good reasons whatsoever.

Ardor on
  • Options
    John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not sure if there are any spaces left but if there are I !sign up.
    I haven't played any games of phalla (though i've played one or two very haphazard games of werewolf in uni).

John the Skrull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Good lord.

Yes, to an extent. I hate thinking but enjoy playing this game.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I like thingfs that taste like people. Especially if those people are yummy people.

But they aren't! Now if we called normal people Soylent Green instead, then I would be fine with it.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Regarding one of Squasha's points. About defaulting/using your special ability right away.

In the case of the FMA game there where people of a certain faction didn't know others in their group. Also there were neutral groups that seemed to have goals that went along with either the good or the bad side.
    (Greed seemed to have goals in common with the good, Skar in common with the bad)

Is it best to take a risk and kill someone or wait till there is further evidence? Or you get in contact with a Seer?

I don't know if all the baddies in FMA knew each other (it seemed like they did) or maybe some knew a few others (Maybe lust knew gluttony and envy, for example). But the good guys were seemingly unaware of who was on their side (hence Zerinan killing Plut).

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

But they aren't! Now if we called normal people Soylent Green instead, then I would be fine with it.

See, I was totally not going there, and then you went there, and now I have to come along, and there we are.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

See, I was totally not going there, and then you went there, and now I have to come along, and there we are.

Where are we? And how did we get here?
    Egos wrote: »
    (hence Zerinan killing Plut).

I won't live that down, will I?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

OK, now you are my new best friend.:lol:

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

If its any consolation I meant that it was understandable.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

OK, now you are my new best friend.:lol:

Aww, I'm loved!

As for you, Zerinan, I can't tell you EXACTLY where we are, but here's a hint: there's a small handheld woven container surrounding us.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

If its any consolation I meant that it was understandable.

It is actually. Doesn't change the fact that it will live on in peoples memories for a while. I kinda like it though, cause no matter what team I'm on, the other team will be happy to get the help.
    As for you, Zerinan, I can't tell you EXACTLY where we are, but here's a hint: there's a small handheld woven container surrounding us.

.... Vegas? I know it's a reference to something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Is it best to take a risk and kill someone or wait till there is further evidence? Or you get in contact with a Seer?

That's up to you to decide. In my experience, it has been very tough to get in contact with a seer, and whenever I have done so, it has never been to my benefit (I've been a bad guy and they seer'd me).

If I can help it, and I have a vigilante kill, I never waste an opportunity to take down a suspicious target, but I do make sure it's a good hunch before I throw the knife.
    I don't know if all the baddies in FMA knew each other (it seemed like they did) or maybe some knew a few others (Maybe lust knew gluttony and envy, for example). But the good guys were seemingly unaware of who was on their side (hence Zerinan killing Plut).

You are currently speculating on a game that is not yet over. There is a reason that many Game Masters expose the underlying mechanics of their games after the game has ended.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Try some free-word-association, Zeri. THink "Yogi bear". Think "picnic." Replace "picnic" with something else.

Sorry, I just really like being annoyingly cryptic for no purpose whatsoever. *L* It's rare that I get to exhibit my quirks without physical violence being directed at me, and luckily I failed to install the device where you hit a button and my internet punches me.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are the most vocal as targets more or less a thing of just not having anyone else to pick from?

Advice: Vocal Players / Player Habits / Tells
    Vocal tend to eat both the vote and new-ish vigilante kills because they post more, so people try to infer details from what they're doing.

The first thing a bad guy should do is create a Proboard to coordinate discussion outside of PMs.

Enterprising "new" bad guys should agree to take a spread of "posting roles". One might only post once a day, while another is chatty. Then-again, some players have adopted styles and try to be consistent when they play. Others are not, and that gives them "tells".

For example, when precisionk is a special role, he (more often than not) stops being so boisterous and risky in his public game posts.

This is a damn dirty lie. There are have been MANY times I have been so rash and boisterous when I was a good/bad special, like examples of SS13, Phalla Witch Trials, Tale of Two Phallas.

Pro tip: Like in the example above, the way to be good at Phalla is misinformation. This is key to everything. What people fail to understand is that I know YOU think I am a crazy, lunatic, nutball etc, but I purely put up that cover as a way to disguise my plays and it gets pawned off as "oh that is just crazy pk over there". Also with Squashuas example, people tend to have what I like to call Fads of me. Right now, is the fad that anytime I am quiet, I am a special. So pretty much I use that against others and just quiet when I am a vanillager.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Throw it in spoiler brackets then.

That's easiest to do with long posts.

In other news here is the 100% legal MP3 of the song you say you don't know.

Squashua on