As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chrono Cross (Not to be confused with Trigger, Crusade, Force, or anything else)

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
So I was in this random game store that opened near my house the other day, and I saw a new copy of this for 20 bucks, and I said to myself "Self, I hear this game is good and controversial, and it might be neat to buy it." Now I wasn't the biggest fan of crono trigger(it was a good game, but i don't think it's this awesome god people make it out to be), but I was wondering what you guys thought of the "sequel."

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think I still really need to play it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I share your views on Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Cross is nothing special. It's alright, but won't blow you away. The hooks are that there are parallel dimensions that you travel between and that you can get a lot of characters. The dimension thing is done pretty well. Also, it has a unique battle system which involves colors, magic/special moves, three strength of strikes, and probabilities.

If you have $20 and 30-40 hours, go nuts.

Edit: There are also choice points that affect which characters you can get. I mainly focused on 3 or 4 characters so it didn't really matter that much to me. I think it's just to give you a reason to do New Game+ (as well as the multiple endings).

I beat the game and was not compelled to do a New Game+.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm still butthurt that they (plot)
    killed Crono and co.
    But the music's really good.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OH MY GOD THE SCORE.

JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

ALL MY DICKS. THEY EXPLODE.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't be fooled.

Chrono Cross IS something special.

Good art, Great music, fun battle system, decent end of PSX era graphics.

Neat story if you can digest it all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IMO, Chrono Cross's biggest selling point was also its biggest weakest, the massive character party. Really, though I enjoyed it, the game felt like it was blogging you down with a lot of characters rather than focusing on the game story itself. Really, I would have been just as happy with simply Serge, Kidd, Glenn and a few others...along with a more fleshed out story.

That doesn't mean I didn't like it though, was a pretty fun and for 20 dollars I would pick it up.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, don't quote me on this but I believe the art was done by the same people that did Baten Kaitos, and as I just started up Baten Kaitos myself, I can vouch for the fact that they share a lot of other similarities as well. If you've played Baten Kaitos and liked it, you'll probably like Chrono Cross too.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No Chrono Cross's biggest selling point was the music.

Best. Score. Ever.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Umm...I mean selling point as in what was actually being advertised the most...which was that you could have over 50 people in your group...which was about 47 more than you actually needed.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh ok.

The biggest selling point should've been the music.

If there was a commercial with a black screen and 30 seconds taken from anywhere in the score I think it would've sold bajillions of copies and everyone would've bought seventeen copies each.

Khavall on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was this the game that had an enemy speak like Shakespearian? Or am I thinking of another game?

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Honestly, I never really had much of a problem with all of the extra characters. Outside of maybe ten, at the most, you were never really forced to use them. It really felt no different than Suikoden, and people don't seem to have a problem with it.

As for the game itself, I loved every minute of it. The game looked, sounded, and played well, and I enjoyed the plot for what it was. Hell, for what it's worth, I enjoyed it as a sequel, if not because it wasn't trying to be Chrono Trigger version 2.0
    urahonky wrote: »
    Was this the game that had an enemy speak like Shakespearian? Or am I thinking of another game?
    Cross, Final Fantasy IX, and Vagrant Story all do, if I remember correctly.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The story doesn't tie into chrono trigger until the beginning of the second disk. At that point, the game gets awesome.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    [QUOTE=DarkDragoon;4074444
    urahonky wrote: »
    Cross, Final Fantasy IX, and Vagrant Story all do, if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]

I think it was really bad in this game. I honestly remember the guy in the beginning talking like: "Dost thou haveth thou weapons?" "Hark! What'st..." etc.

I couldn't play it very long after that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chrono Cross has a fuckawesome sound track, great graphics for a PS game, and a fair to decent story.

It's a great game.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What no.

Everyone in Chrono Cross has a different accent, don't be spreading them lies.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    What no.

Everyone in Chrono Cross has a different accent, don't be spreading them lies.

Yes, but I think the question was about a single character, which does use the archaic english. I don't think it's an enemy though, rather it was Radius, the village chief.

Now that I think about it, Frog from the first game used that speaking style.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Oh ok.

If there was a commercial with a black screen and 30 seconds taken from anywhere in the score I think it would've sold bajillions of copies and everyone would've bought seventeen copies each.

The commercial they aired was 30 seconds of FMV with Scars of Time playing in the background, so it was pretty much what you asked for.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    keroppileekeroppilee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    chrono cross is a good game on its own merits. compare it to chrono trigger and it's trash because it doesn't continue what chrono trigger started. chrono trigger is god!

keroppilee on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    keroppilee wrote: »
    chrono cross is a good game on its own merits. compare it to chrono trigger and it's trash because it doesn't continue what chrono trigger started. chrono trigger is god!

If anything, Cross DID continue the one only notable loose string that Trigger left behind by exploring what happened to Schala. How else should it continue what was a pretty close storyline without it sounding increadibly forced? Crono and Company invents the rocket ship and goes into space, performing a mass genocide on every existing Lavos?

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh ok.

The commercial they aired was 30 seconds of FMV with Scars of Time playing in the background, so it was pretty much what you asked for.

Dammit why didn't it sell more?

I honestly didn't pay any attention to the game until I played CT in.... 98?, wanted more, and then started it up. Then the first thing I did was cleaned up after hearing Time's Scar.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Tiger-Tiger- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved the Game Over screen music, it's awesomeness made me lose on purpose many times.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As for sales I think it was like this...

People who like CT were expecting it to be CT2(which it wasn't)

People who liked FF7 were expecting it to be the next FF7(which it wasn't)

And therein was the problem.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chrono Cross is an absolutely fantastic game, with a mind-bending, yet completely awesome, story.

And I hear the music is pretty good.

Graviija on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I thought it was really good, but I didn't know it was a sequel to Chrono Trigger and I hadn't played Chrono Trigger. It's good on it's own merits, try not to compare it to Trigger. There are almost no connections at all until the end anyway.

I would suggest hitting up the character FAQs before you start the game, or buying a guide (Ha!). There are a lot of cool characters that are easy to miss. Especially that voodoo guy, who you can miss by not going into a certain house and doing a certain thing 5 minutes into the game.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chrono Cross was easily one of my favorite PS1 games. Especially if you narrow the field down to RPGs. This and Suikoden were my favorite RPGs on that system.

The music was, indeed, awesome. I listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis (like, once a week). The story was good, and some of the extra "non-essential" characters were awesome. I mean, there's a man-sized voodoo doll with a huge nail through his chest. Which he stabs people with. Also, Starky.

My only real complaint about the game was that it was way easy. The only remotely difficult part of the game was trying to fight the final boss
    in the manner that nets you the "good" ending
    and that wasn't even that hard.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The only good thing about Chrono Cross is the music, so track down the OST or get the music through other means. Now the game...the game...well it's crap, horrible and downright awful. The story was not an evolution of Chrono Trigger so much as a damn awful fanfic. Characters get little to no real character development since there are so many. This game came out during the time when Square had officially hit rock bottom in creativity, there is a good reason why they almost went backrupt and such games like this was one of them. It was not a strong seller in either Japan or the US, as far as a sequal to Chrono Trigger was concerned it ended up being a huge failure that completely pissed all over what came before holding none of the magic or charm.

Cade on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    The only good thing about Chrono Cross is the music, so track down the OST or get the music through other means. Now the game...the game...well it's crap, horrible and downright awful. The story was not an evolution of Chrono Trigger so much as a damn awful fanfic. Characters get little to no real character development since there are so many. This game came out during the time when Square had officially hit rock bottom in creativity, there is a good reason why they almost went backrupt and such games like this was one of them. It was not a strong seller in either Japan or the US, as far as a sequal to Chrono Trigger was concerned it ended up being a huge failure that completely pissed all over what came before holding none of the magic or charm.

Crap, I was wrong. I don't like this game, it's complete shit. As backed up with the fact that it was horrible, as described above.

I was mistaken in my opinion.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh ok.

The opening Chrono Cross theme, with the FMV in the background, made me change my shorts with glee. I still play the CC soundtrack sometimes when I need some great music in the background.
    Chrono Trigger is God
    I actually preferred Chrono Cross' story to Trigger's in many ways, especially when I finally pieced together what is going on.

MAJOR SPOILERS
    Chrono Trigger is basically a kid's game. The theme of Chrono Trigger is adventure. There is the hero, who is awesome in every way, shape, and form, and basically blameless. There is the enemy, who is as evil as evil can be. There are fights to be fought and adventures to be won, and in the end, everyone live'shappily ever after!

Or do they?

Chrono Cross is a more. . . I guess it's a mature game. The theme of Chrono Cross is consequences: what happened after the grand adventure of Trigger? What if that happy ending wasn't so happy after all? What if terrible things happened because of the good you tried to do?

One key example: one of the major quests in Trigger is the restoration of the Masamune. The Masamune is basically a weapon of great power symbolized by two rambunctious monster children who make up the spirit of the sword. In Trigger, the Masamune is wielded by Frog, a cursed knight who is basically the paradigm of chivalry and honor, and because of that, it becomes a great force for good.

But what happened to the Masamune after its wielder passed away?

Cross reveals that power can be used as a force for evil as well as good. It says that after Frog passed away, the Masamune Sword fell into the hands of. . . less than honorable. . . people. It was used to commit terrible atrocities, and the sword itself became corrupted. It became a blade of murder and rage, that would turn friends against each other and comrades into enemies. One of the major quests of Cross is once again restoring the Masamune: in this case, you restore it not just to a weapon of power, but to a weapon of morality (by introducing the third monster triplet: Doreen, who'd been sleeping inside Serge's oar. . . I mean, Sea Swallow.)

Another example: In Trigger, part of the storyline involved stopping a race of sentient reptiles descended from dinosaurs (Reptites) from wiping out the primitive human race. It turns out in the end, however, that humanity was meant to be wiped out: it was only the fall of Lavos that destroyed the Reptites and allowed mammalian, not reptilian life, to become ascendant. There are basically three timelines: Reptites Win, Lavos Wins, and Humans Win. And basically, the storyline moves towards the idea that the Humans are meant to survive.

Cross turns that upside its head. The idea is that in the Reptilian timeline, scientists there looked back into the past, discovered a time anomaly, and found out that Lavos was coming. Their attempt to save their species - just what Crono did in Trigger - screws up the timeline even further, resulting in something called the Dragon Tower. So the question is, who has the right to live, and who has the right to not only die, but cease to exist entirely?

Cross is filled with things like that. There are no cut and dry "right" choices, good or bad. Even the enemies are not truly evil: in some cases, they are simply misled, in other cases, they are noble. The whole game basically orients towards the final battle, which can't be won by violence (if only they'd made it MORE clear HOW it can be won :P I've yet to meet someone who figured it out without an FAQ or strategy guide.)

Basically, Chrono Cross had an excellent story and an incredible soundtrack married to a rather confusing presentation and a somewhat sub-par battle system/cast of player characters. I loved it. YMMV

themocaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sub par battle system? What the hell? Do people actually think this way???

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sub par battle system? What the hell? Do people actually think this way???

Mmmmm. . . how do you mean by that? I mean that the battles didn't feel as exciting as, say, Final Fantasy, where character selection makes a difference in the flow of battle. You could basically plug in any character of any chosen color into one of your three character slots and get much the same result.

themocaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I love the element field dynamic, the element grid, and the whole weak>medium>strong system. It just flows so well together.

Sure, when you have three man parties and 40+ characters you are going to have some overlaps. I'd say on a whole that the characters are quite a bit different compared to those in FF VII-VIII. Some do magic well, some have good specials, some have huge grids, some have specialized grids.

Combat in this game is fast and never boring. You can see every enemy before you fight them, and run from any enemy. Summons are a reward for being able to manage both your stamina and the field. Bosses fight using basically the same rules that you do and are a good balance of difficult without being frustrating.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    the number of chars really stunted char development, and so I couldn't get into the game :( I'd much prefer a few characters with fleshed out personalities than 9000 cookie cutter party members.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I love the element field dynamic, the element grid, and the whole weak>medium>strong system. It just flows so well together.

Sure, when you have three man parties and 40+ characters you are going to have some overlaps. I'd say on a whole that the characters are quite a bit different compared to those in FF VII-VIII. Some do magic well, some have good specials, some have huge grids, some have specialized grids.

Combat in this game is fast and never boring. You can see every enemy before you fight them, and run from any enemy. Summons are a reward for being able to manage both your stamina and the field. Bosses fight using basically the same rules that you do and are a good balance of difficult without being frustrating.

Mmmmmm. . . I had a bit of a different experience than you did. For me, the combat system was the part I slogged through to get to the next part of the story. Rounds usually went weak-weak medium-strong or weak-strong-strong for attack, then use rank 1 elements to set the field before slamming with the hardest elements you could muster. Specials, after the nuanced double-triple-tech system of Trigger, were a bit underwhelming: I'd have preferred if they'd just left out multitechs entirely, to be honest.

At least the combat animations were fun to watch. Norris looked great moving from stance to stance firing his handgun, and Harle, of course, carried out her throwing knife attacks with flair.

Actually, that's a general point of praise for the game: everyone's animations, both in and out of combat, are really appealing to watch. For example, watch the way different characters run and walk.

themocaw on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cade wrote: »

Crap, I was wrong. I don't like this game, it's complete shit. As backed up with the fact that it was horrible, as described above.

I was mistaken in my opinion.

Blame yourself or God.

Cade on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved playing Chrono Cross. I need to play it again.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved Chrono Cross and it's one of few JRPGs that I really enjoyed. The combat system was unique and interesting, I have to agree with the "fuck-amazing soundtrack." I had to hold back a fanboy/girl squeal when Radical Dreamers was played at Video Games Live! (Only pricks judge and the score is just that awesome) If you can get a new copy for $20 then the only thing that can be said for me is damn you, lucky bastard.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still maintain that Chrono Cross has one of the most original turn based battle systems in existence. The element grid was sheer genius and really gives you the great feeling of 'I can beat anything if I fiddle long enough and find the perfect set up'.

The many throw away characters are my only qualm, but it doesn't really hinder the story. The story is absolutely stunning if you have or haven't played Chrono Trigger, but it takes a good mind to sort it all out.

The music and backdrops are absolutely stunning. I have the OST and I've listened to it since I first got the game years ago up until now, and I'm still not tired of it. I think one thing that doesn't get said enough is how original the atmosphere was for an RPG. Chrono Trigger had some nice atmosphere, but it was kind of generic sci fi/high fantasy at its core. Chrono Cross, on the other hand, does this crazy tropical fantasy vibe that just works perfectly.

Really, for anything less than $50 I feel you owe it to yourself to at least give it a shot. Is it a direct sequel to CT? No. But it carries on its legacy of JRPGs that stand out from the crowd of me-toos.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    Chrono Cross, on the other hand, does this crazy tropical fantasy vibe that just works perfectly.

As opposed to FFX which had this crazy tropical fantasy vibe that didn't work.

themocaw on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think if anything bogged down the battle system, it was that CT's battles on the SNES loaded damn near instantly and kept the pace of the game up, whereas the PS1....

...little ram and slow cd drives made fighting more of a chore than it really should have been.

Also, another plug for the OST; multiple discs of music, and being able to listen to the different versions of each song one after the other is well worth the price I paid oh so long ago.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC