As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The HD format war is over?

saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dvd5jan05,0,4795448.story?coll=la-home-center

Basically in a nutshell, Blu-Ray now has 75% of the market for HighDef DVD's based on the producers of movies choosing which format they're going to release HD movies on. A lot of folks are saying this is the nail in the coffin for HD-DVD.

My thoughts?

HALLELUJIAH! BluRay is, from what I can tell, a better format, the discs hold more data, and due to a lot of work on Sony and their partners, about the same price as HD players/discs.

I've been holding off buying any HD DVD players mainly for the reason that I wasn't sure who would "win". I'm still going to hold off until HD throws in the towel, but at least it appears the end is nigh.

Unfortunately my Father, who purchased an HD-DVD Player as a Boxing Day doorcrasher, will not be impressed.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

banner_160x60_01.gif
saint2e on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't own either, surprised by the move, was expecting HD-DVD to win actually.

Also, hoping all companies involve suffer for being retarded and doing this in the first place.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Even though things have been sliding toward BluRay for a while now, and HD-DVD can't make any ground, I just can't believe BluRay can win. History has taught me to always bet against Sony in any format war.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29262/Paramount-denies-Blu-Ray-defection
    Following the recent news that Warner Bros is to drop its support of Toshiba’s HD-DVD hi-def movie format, fellow movie studio Paramount has denied that it is to do the same.

Bloomberg reports that US newspapers are claiming that Paramount has a clause in its HD-DVD exclusivity contract that allows it to withdraw if Warner drops its support of the format.

However, Paramount spokesperson Brenda Ciccone told the news agency that “Paramount’s current plan is to continue to support the HD-DVD format”. Toshiba added that the reports are nothing more than speculative.

Following the shock Warner news, share in HD-DVD owning Toshiba fell by 1.4 per cent, whilst Sony’s rose by 3.4 per cent.

I'm not sure if Paramount's switch is true yet, or if it's simply not exclusive to just HD-DVD anymore.

so... give it a week or two.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    If you look at Amazon's bestseller list, Blu-Ray appears to have a huge lead.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    selderaneselderane Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never doubted that Blu-Ray would win because, not only is Sony the largest producer of home electronics in the world, but it's the only hi-def manufacturer that I'm aware of that owns any motion picture companies.

This guaranteed right off the bat that three very large and powerful production companies would be Blu-Ray only - Columbia, MGM, and United Artists.

HD, in my opinion, was dead on arrival.

selderane on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I'm glad I didn't pick a side and look forward to seeing the prices of all things Blu-Ray skyrocket 'cause there's no competition. Yay?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    selderane wrote: »
    I never doubted that Blu-Ray would win because, not only is Sony the largest producer of home electronics in the world, but it's the only hi-def manufacturer that I'm aware of that owns any motion picture companies.

This guaranteed right off the bat that three very large and powerful production companies would be Blu-Ray only - Columbia, MGM, and United Artists.

As a poster above commented, given Sony's track record on format wars, the safe money is usually on the other guy.

I guess Sony was finally due one.

Apostate on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's not over 'till the other guy capitulates. Even if HD-DVD isn't as big as Blu-Ray, they're gonna stay in business as long as they can make money. They're probably going to continue making money until no one wants to sign with them any longer. And I can see that taking at least a year.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29262/Paramount-denies-Blu-Ray-defection
    Following the recent news that Warner Bros is to drop its support of Toshiba’s HD-DVD hi-def movie format, fellow movie studio Paramount has denied that it is to do the same.

Bloomberg reports that US newspapers are claiming that Paramount has a clause in its HD-DVD exclusivity contract that allows it to withdraw if Warner drops its support of the format.

However, Paramount spokesperson Brenda Ciccone told the news agency that “Paramount’s current plan is to continue to support the HD-DVD format”. Toshiba added that the reports are nothing more than speculative.

Following the shock Warner news, share in HD-DVD owning Toshiba fell by 1.4 per cent, whilst Sony’s rose by 3.4 per cent.

I'm not sure if Paramount's switch is true yet, or if it's simply not exclusive to just HD-DVD anymore.

so... give it a week or two.

Paramount is simply not exclusive.

Really though the amount of studios for either format is not going to decide this. What will decide it is price to the consumer, and cost to make movies.

Given Sony's stance on their proprietary formats and the cost of making the plants to churn out these disks it is not cheaper for the studios. And with blu-ray prices as high as they are well...

The first company that's going to win this is the one that manages to churn out a sub 100 buck player with disk prices as low as standard DVD's. Until that happens it's anyones game.

I also wouldn't call either format better. Both disks are large enough and what really counts is the codecs they use. What blu-ray does offer is slightly better lossless sound (and you better have a couple thousand in audio to use this) and more DRM (joy!).

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited January 2008
    Huh, who'd have thought it.

As long as Blu-Ray prices remain competitive once their main rival has succumbed this won't impact upon me in any great way.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Could someone educate me in the matter of the format differences? There was so many conflicting reports about even basic things, such as storage capacitiy (intially HD-DVD had lower capacity, but then they added extra layers to it... but then Blue-Ray hacked their discs in return to bump theirs... and so on).

From what I heard initially (and made me always "favor" HD-DVD) was that Blue-Ray format was bundled up in some really draconian DRM. Initially I thought it was just FUD, but then again we ARE talking Sony here.

Anyone has a link to a decent rundown of both formats, or care to give bullet points?

muninn on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actually getting a player below $100 is probably the key really since that's that magic point at which it effectively costs nothing to the consumer (as far as they're concerned).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have both players and I still prefer HD-DVD. Why? Because so many HD-DVDs are combo DVD/HD-DVD format. So I can easily lend the disc to a friend that doesn't have a hi-def system and say "watch this."

There is no benefit to Blu Ray except for capacity and until that capacity is actually used in a way that benefits the consumer, HD-DVD is superior for the above reason.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Could someone educate me in the matter of the format differences? There was so many conflicting reports about even basic things, such as storage capacitiy (intially HD-DVD had lower capacity, but then they added extra layers to it... but then Blue-Ray hacked their discs in return to bump theirs... and so on).

From what I heard initially (and made me always "favor" HD-DVD) was that Blue-Ray format was bundled up in some really draconian DRM. Initially I thought it was just FUD, but then again we ARE talking Sony here.

Anyone has a link to a decent rundown of both formats, or care to give bullet points?

Basic issues

-blu-ray has more storage space per layer but this doesn't matter for HD movies
    -blu-ray has an extra layer of proprietary blu-ray only DRM
    -not all blu-ray movies use the best encoding

Two strikes one plus that doesn't really matter.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    The more storage space argument is a dated one. There was a triple-layer HD DVD disc that beat the BD counterpart but everyone forgot it.

When I eventually get a 1080p HDTV, it'll be a while before I get a player.

Satan. on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I have both players and I still prefer HD-DVD. Why? Because so many HD-DVDs are combo DVD/HD-DVD format. So I can easily lend the disc to a friend that doesn't have a hi-def system and say "watch this."

There is no benefit to Blu Ray except for capacity and until that capacity is actually used in a way that benefits the consumer, HD-DVD is superior for the above reason.

Fuck combo discs, its a great idea in theory but currently there are way to many problems with them including that their more expensive than a normal disc and you don't have a choice between the two. Also that they have a higher chance of fucking up while playing.

Waterlogged: Your 3rd point is true for HD DVD as well and your second point is a strike from a consumer prospective but studios, specifically New Line, choose not to release some stuff on HD DVD due to the lack of it.

khain on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess adding to the mix is the "online streaming/downloading movies" aspect. What with XBox Live and other services allowing you to download movies for a fee, and depending on the service, keeping it, or having it invalidated x days later, is there really much of a market for buying physical movies?

Or will there be a market for physical movies in the near future?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apostate wrote: »
    selderane wrote: »

As a poster above commented, given Sony's track record on format wars, the safe money is usually on the other guy.

I guess Sony was finally due one.

The sun shines on a dog's ass at least once right?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Also, hoping all companies involve suffer for being retarded and doing this in the first place.

My thoughts exactly.

I have no interest in buying a BR player, and considering the current price that I'm seeing for BR movies, I probably won't for some time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Forar wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

I have no interest in buying a BR player, and considering the current price that I'm seeing for BR movies, I probably won't for some time.

And that's part of the problem. How many people are willing to re-buy their current movie library when an upconverting DVD player looks almost as good... short of having an insanely expensive TV and sound system?

waterlogged on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Generally I find Sony's insistence on pushing proprietary storage formats down my throat distasteful. I find this news unsettling, at best. The answer to every consumer question I have is always "NOT SONY".

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

My thoughts exactly.

And that's part of the problem. How many people are willing to re-buy their current movie library when an upconverting DVD player looks almost as good... short of having an insanely expensive TV and sound system?

HDTVs aren't that expensive, and expensive sound systems are no more expensive than they were before (you could still spend $40,000 on a good pair of speakers 10 years ago). The difference in quality is hard to describe or show, but it is there. After you watch a movie in HD, it's really difficult to go back.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought a Blue-Ray player two days ago... and believe me, it hurt like hell to do it.

The only reason I did it is because Best Buy was offering any 5 Blue-Ray movies under $34 free, and you get another five through the mail when you buy the player.

So, 10 Blue-Ray movies at approximately 30 bucks a piece, on a 400 dollar player... it seemed stupid not to do it.

Here's the thing... there's no reason to replace your DVD collection... why would anyone do that? The Sony Blue-Ray player upconverts DVD's, so the quality will still be better. Regardless... I hate Sony, and now I kind of hate myself.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    saint2e wrote: »
    I guess adding to the mix is the "online streaming/downloading movies" aspect. What with XBox Live and other services allowing you to download movies for a fee, and depending on the service, keeping it, or having it invalidated x days later, is there really much of a market for buying physical movies?

I don't believe downloadable movies will become mainstream anytime soon, comparing to music is kind of a shitty example, but Itunes has been around since 2000 and online music sales aren't even at 50% of the market share. I'd also prefer to have physical copy as I see zero advantages to have it online.

You don't need to rebuy, the majority of movies sales come in the first couple of weeks and if a new format can capture those sales they have it made. I'd say being backwards compatible is a huge advantage preciously so people don't have to rebuy any of their old movies if they don't want to. Upconverted DVDs to do not almost look as good. They aren't even fucking close to the same quality unless you have a shitty TV. TVs are coming down in price and a sound system is only as expensive as you want it to be.

khain on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There really is no 'war' though. It's like a war between two pretentious film/music/literary people who are arguing over which obscure band/movie/etc is better. All the while normal people could give two shits about HD and continue to buy DVDs.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    khain wrote: »

Fuck combo discs, its a great idea in theory but currently there are way to many problems with them including that their more expensive than a normal disc and you don't have a choice between the two. Also that they have a higher chance of fucking up while playing.

Waterlogged: Your 3rd point is true for HD DVD as well and your second point is a strike from a consumer prospective but studios, specifically New Line, choose not to release some stuff on HD DVD due to the lack of it.

I prefer not to have sex with my combo discs. That can be ruinous to both the discs and my genitals.

To address your point, though, uhm I don't really care how much they cost to produce as long as the consumer cost is the same. Currently, Combo HD-DVDs cost the same as Blu Ray discs. As the offering between a non-Combo HD-DVD and a Blu Ray disc is exactly the same right now, a combo HD-DVD offers more to a consumer. It's simple math.

Also, can you please explain what this even means? "including that their more expensive than a normal disc and you don't have a choice between the two." Don't have a choice of what? What do you mean by choice? The combo disc GIVES you a choice.

Also, there is no "higher chance of fucking up while playing." That is silly.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I prefer not to have sex with my combo discs. That can be ruinous to both the discs and my genitals.

To address your point, though, uhm I don't really care how much they cost to produce as long as the consumer cost is the same. Currently, Combo HD-DVDs cost the same as Blu Ray discs. As the offering between a non-Combo HD-DVD and a Blu Ray disc is exactly the same right now, a combo HD-DVD offers more to a consumer. It's simple math.

Also, can you please explain what this even means? "including that their more expensive than a normal disc and you don't have a choice between the two." Don't have a choice of what? What do you mean by choice? The combo disc GIVES you a choice.

The cost to the consumer isn't the same though. Non combo discs normally come out at a price point $5 cheaper than combo discs and that was what I meant by you don't have a choice since movies are released either as a combo disc or as a normal HD DVD not both. Also maybe its just rumors but my experience and reading AVSforum seems to lead that combo discs have a much higher chance of not playing correctly.

khain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

The cost to the consumer isn't the same though. Non combo discs normally come out at a price point $5 cheaper than combo discs and that was what I meant by you don't have a choice since movies are released either as a combo disc or as a normal HD DVD not both. Also maybe its just rumors but my experience and reading AVSforum seems to lead that combo discs have a much higher chance of not playing correctly.

I have many of both kind and a first-generation HD-DVD player. It's most likely rumors.

And I don't find the price difference between combo and non-combo discs to be true either. In fact, I've paid more for a single non-combo disc than a combo disc in some cases. Perhaps it's not very easy to quantify as movies seem to have arbitrary prices anyway.

Drez on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

My thoughts exactly.

The only thing the upconversion can do is sharpen the picture up a little. There's nothing it can do about all of the information lost because of the much higher compression. It's especially noticeable when watching a movie with a lot of nighttime scenes, the shadows on regular DVD look terrible, very pixelated. Whereas on any HD style of disk they look correct.

I only repurchase disks of my favorite movies, otherwise I netflix whatever I want. They carry just about all of the HD/Blue movies. The only proplem is with rereleases, they don't always get them.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I honestly thought HD-DVD was going to win simply because of the name. HD-DVD and average Joe consumer was going to trust more in it. Or believe her understood it more then this crazy Blu-ray thing.

I was kinda rooting for Sony on this one, I was interested in grabbing a PS3 and it would have sucked if the reason it was so expensive ended up being the loser, you know?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    The more storage space argument is a dated one. There was a triple-layer HD DVD disc that beat the BD counterpart but everyone forgot it.

I have a 1080p TV, but all the players that can output to 1080p are still $300+. I'm waiting for $150 or less before taking that plunge.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So.

This guy:
    http://www.digeo.com/culture_management.aspx?id=1

Back in 2003, from a Sony press release:
    New York, NY - March 19, 2003 -- Mike Fidler has been named Senior Vice President, Blu-ray Disc Group, Sony Corporation of America (SCA), it was announced today by Nicole Seligman, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, SCA.

In his new role, Mr. Fidler will be responsible for promoting the Blu-ray format to relevant industries including motion picture studios, music labels, consumer electronics manufacturers, optical replication and post-production houses. Mr. Fidler will also establish a Blu-ray Information Office, which will serve to educate and disseminate information about the format. He will report to Ms. Seligman and be based in Los Angeles.

"Blu-ray technology will have a great impact on the future of the electronics and entertainment industries, and I am pleased that Mike will be representing us with these groups," said Ms. Seligman. "He has the knowledge, experience, and leadership skills necessary to promote this format successfully."

While he's not there anymore, he works for Paul Allen now, he was a key guy in promoting Blu-Ray and as soon as I get married, he'll be "Uncle Mike".

I consider that outstandingly awesome.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Not even an issue, and it won't be an issue for at least 10-15 more years.

You may have phat pipes and a computer/360 to show these without downloading for 5 days, but the majority of the country is still on 56k.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    People realize that when everybody starts buying up the rights to produce BD movies and joins the BDA, prices are going to drop, right? This won't be a monopoly situation.

And I don't think anybody's talking about repurchasing their entire collections this time around. The move will simply happen with people starting to buy HD discs exclusively, and maybe their favorites. I know the only BDs I've bought that were movies I already owned in one form or another were Blade Runner and The Fifth Element. Everything else I just purchased BD instead, like the new Die Hard, Crank, The Departed, etc.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Not even an issue, and it won't be an issue for at least 10-15 more years.

You may have phat pipes and a computer/360 to show these without downloading for 5 days, but the majority of the country is still on 56k.

JCRooks in the G&T thread on this topic says broadband is at 50%.
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Oh. My. God.

You, sir, are seriously behind the times. Broadband adoption in the US just hit 50% this year. This is for ALL households. Want proof? You can start here. Want more? Heck, just Google the terms: broadband penetration US 2007.

I guess I shouldn't blame you for being surprised. After all, broadband has been the fastest technology to reach 50% adoption in homes (it took 10 years).

Why was it so fast? Well gee whiz, the Internet is popular, slow downloads suck, and there's already plenty of infrastructure to support it (cable TV->cable Internet, phone lines->DSL). Not to mention plenty of people got used to fast speeds at their work places, and just wanted it for their own homes.

Okay, now that we've got that settled, let's talk about digital distribution again. Since half of the US homes have bandwidth, it's certainly makes it financially possible (if not smart) for media companies to start selling their shows/movies/etc. on-line. The biggest issue I see right now is that high-definition movies are still really large, and that takes a lot of space to store, as well as bandwidth. We're not quite there for HD, although things like Verizon's FIOS makes it possible, and is becoming increasingly available in many cities.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Your point is? My father-in-law is on broadband, and it would still take a week for him to download 2 gigs. Broadband doesn't instantly equal blazing fast connection.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    my point is most people are not on 56k -- they are on a connection that would allow streaming of DVD quality movies. except for your father-in-law, who apparently has the slowest broadband ever.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Even if people have the capability to download at a decent speed, that's still going to be a lot of HDD space needed. And besides that, it's not a significant sampling by any means, but I know quite a few people who prefer physical media for a variety of reasons, and they run the gamut from nerd to AVphile to Joe Consumer.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2008

I have a 1080p TV, but all the players that can output to 1080p are still $300+. I'm waiting for $150 or less before taking that plunge.

IIRC, neither of the formats currently support 1080p content. Your TV already has internal scalers that upconvert lower-res content to 1080p, so there's really no reason for you to pay for it twice.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

IIRC, neither of the formats currently support 1080p content. Your TV already has internal scalers that upconvert lower-res content to 1080p, so there's really no reason for you to pay for it twice.

Yeah? I wasn't aware of that. Definately some good news, and I'll probably be picking up a player, sooner, rather than later.

Probably still be HD-DVD rather than blu-ray. Battlestar Galactica is on HD-DVD. And I know I'll have a PS3 at some point, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to buy a stand-alone player.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg