As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Order in the ranks: storing and transporting your minis!

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited January 2008 in Critical Failures
I've come to the conclusion that ice cream boxes and toilet paper doesn't really work when your army is growing, so now I'm looking around for decent transport/storage solutions for hauling my stuff around.

At the moment I'm looking at an Army Transport by Sabol:

attrays.jpg

It's a 14" wide carrying case with a shoulder strap that carries foam trays, and the minis go in the trays. It can carry about 12" of trays, and they come in different thickness depending on your needs - buy either a pre-packed case, or an empty case and then trays as needed. Seems pretty nifty to me.

The trays also have individual pre-cut cubes you can just rip out in order to customize your trays for minis if you have some really big/strangely shaped stuff:

foam_1.jpg

My next trouble is the sheer amount of minis I'll end up with as a greenskin player -- my 700 point list already has 91 minis. Right now I'm toying with the idea of getting some magnetic tape to cover the bottom of the movement trays with and a sheet of thin metal to cut strips from and glue to the bottom of the base (or the other way around). Then I can just haul them around like this, movement tray and all:

100_1759.jpg

Another system I'm eyeballing is Kaiser Rushforth. The KR system is a pre-cut tray stored in a cardboard box (for shelf storage) that you then stick in a carrying case (with different case sizes from 1 box and up) for the actual transporting.

Echo on

• Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have an Army Transport Mk II and it's awesome. I haven't checked it in as luggage yet, but I have taken it as carry on for two flights now and none of my models suffered any ill effects. Plus it has extra pockets to hold rule books, dice, etc that you may want to bring with you.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I should be receiving a Sabol transport in the mail on Thursday. I'll post impressions when I gets it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I use the same foam except I have a case from a company called "Hive" or something like that. It's annoying though, every time I take my models anywhere at least two each way end up having to be reglued in some way.

I am finding it hard to cut out holes for the hormagaunts and stuff with lots of talons and claws--they seem to snag easy.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I use the same foam except I have a case from a company called "Hive" or something like that. It's annoying though, every time I take my models anywhere at least two each way end up having to be reglued in some way.

I am finding it hard to cut out holes for the hormagaunts and stuff with lots of talons and claws--they seem to snag easy.

QFT

I haven't used my Army Transport in awhile but I played Necrons and their fucking axes always got stuck on the foam. Don't get me started on the Flayed One's claws (which are stupid hard to glue in place) or Pariah's Halbreds.

The standard GW cases are pretty decent though, especially for infantry. They have the pre-cut rectangular areas that you can place infantry in.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    trentsteel wrote: »

QFT

I haven't used my Army Transport in awhile but I played Necrons and their fucking axes always got stuck on the foam. Don't get me started on the Flayed One's claws (which are stupid hard to glue in place) or Pariah's Halbreds.

The standard GW cases are pretty decent though, especially for infantry. They have the pre-cut rectangular areas that you can place infantry in.

pre-cut would be fine unless you have a swarm of variously posed little beasts

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have one Army Transport case just for my 1000 points of Khador that I've got done. I even customized the amount of trays from the Warstore to fit them all in. It's served me well for the few times I want to cart my models around, and it's especially good to just keep my minis in when they're not being used--I don't like having them out on the shelf, as it gets far too dusty out there, and I don't really want to buy a glass case for them yet. I can see how the foam could tear up some smaller plastic pieces, but since Warmachine is all metal and needs to be pinned anyway, I haven't had a problem.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Back when I 40k'd a lot there where a bunch of us who used fishing tackle boxes to carry our mini's,as they come with some plastic trays that fit mansized mini's pretty well, a big open space in the top for bikes and tanks, and some drawers and misc oening for dice, paints, files, knives, etc.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The guys I used to hang out with in Jersey, playing necromundo (sp?) used fishing tackle boxes. I never played any mini games, but i used to paint them for my old BF and his friends. Rainbow polka-dot skinks ftw!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Another system I'm eyeballing is Kaiser Rushforth. The KR system is a pre-cut tray stored in a cardboard box (for shelf storage) that you then stick in a carrying case (with different case sizes from 1 box and up) for the actual transporting.

I've been thinking about getting a few of these, primarily because I'm more concerned about reducing the volume of storage space my stuff takes up than the ability to easily transport them.

Also, (and I'll admit it's been a while since I last looked due to lack of funds) I was never able to find a Sabol case that offered equivalent storage space per £, especially after shipping is taken into account, since anyone selling them in the UK seems to want very large amounts of money for them.

japan on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Back when I 40k'd a lot there where a bunch of us who used fishing tackle boxes to carry our mini's,as they come with some plastic trays that fit mansized mini's pretty well, a big open space in the top for bikes and tanks, and some drawers and misc oening for dice, paints, files, knives, etc.

Me and erandus and a couple others here onthe boards use tackleboxes. You have to get a little creative for padding on the tackle boxes but generaly if you buy a big enough one it should beable to fit a 2k fantasy army.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've only seen one person use the Army Transporter at our local shop, everyone else uses tackleboxes, and has placed magnetic strips on the base of each tray, and washers under the bases of all their minis. It works well as long as you don't give the box a nasty drop. I've been debating between picking up a tackle box and doing the same (a couple of my mini's could use the washers as stabalizers anyways) but I also received a pair of roller suitcases for xmas, one of which is pretty small so I've been considering loading that up with cube precut foam.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"