As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Primaries: Romney wins Michigan

1545556575860»

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Guys, I'm getting worried about Nevada.

I don't have any expectations for Obama to win the state. I think he could, but that doesn't mean he will. Which makes me nervous because I think Nevada may be a 'must-win' state.

Clinton could attempt to marginalize an Obama win in South Carolina by virtue of his support among blacks- further attempting to paint Obama as 'the black candidate.' Nevada, by contrast, would be a sign that Obama is competitive on a national level, not just in places where demographics favor him or where he can spend an inordinate amount of time campaigning (as in Iowa). Plus, there's the possibility of a lack of support from Hispanic voters for Obama; no telling whether the Culinary Union can give him the boost he needs.

Ugh, fuck this stupid front-loaded primary schedule. Clinton has had an advantage from the beginning because she has name recognition in places that Obama, and Edwards for that matter, have just now started campaigning in. This race has never been a fair fight, not that I'm asking it to be; but it's unfair by virtue of the layout of the race course.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh, what states would you have considered 'fair?' Clinton has massive name recognition everywhere.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Meh, what states would you have considered 'fair?' Clinton has massive name recognition everywhere.
    I'm saying that Obama and Edwards have not had the opportunity to make themselves known in some of the places she's been known in for years. They haven't had the time.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Obama has been put in the underdog narrative, now, so him winning would fuck up the pundits once again (only much more slighly this time 'round) and likely lead to a much better national bid. Especially since you can paint New Hampshire as crotchety and frozen old white people. A Nevada win for Hillary would prove to hurt a good deal since Iowa becomes the fluke rather than a sign of potential. Try and tie Obama to Huckabee since he's likely to win SC but lose nationally. It's certainly going to be an important caucus. Especially going into a CNN debate with Wolf Blitzer as your final debut before Feb 5th.

Still, it's Vegas and he's got good odds. Who knows.

moniker on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Obama's going to win because of the Roulette wheel on the Colbert Report, obviously.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Obama has been put in the underdog narrative, now, so him winning would fuck up the pundits once again (only much more slighly this time 'round) and likely lead to a much better national bid. Especially since you can paint New Hampshire as crotchety and frozen old white people. A Nevada win for Hillary would prove to hurt a good deal since Iowa becomes the fluke rather than a sign of potential. Try and tie Obama to Huckabee since he's likely to win SC but lose nationally. It's certainly going to be an important caucus. Especially going into a CNN debate with Wolf Blitzer as your final debut before Feb 5th.

God, is it wrong for me to maybe want the Culinary Union to strong-arm its people into voting for Obama? Just this once, maybe? For the greater good?

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Harrier wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I'm saying that Obama and Edwards have not had the opportunity to make themselves known in some of the places she's been known in for years. They haven't had the time.

Name recognition isn't as important as political machinery. Especially for caucuses, given how retarded they are. She inherited much of the organization from Bill's run while Obama and Edwards had to start from scratch. That's where the real slant in the field comes from. Moreso than getting people to know who you are and what you stand for. I mean, most people don't vote for a general election, let alone a primary, so you're probably targeting people with some political acumen and who have looked into things at least slightly.

moniker on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

God, is it wrong for me to maybe want the Culinary Union to strong-arm its people into voting for Obama? Just this once, maybe? For the greater good?
    Yes. That's wrong. You can't have it both ways. I understand you really want your candidate of choice to win but it's still wrong.

The best bet is to hope that there are many, many pro-union people that believe in his politics as well as considering their union's endorsement. Strong-arm that ain't.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yes. That's wrong. You can't have it both ways. I understand you really want your candidate of choice to win but it's still wrong.

The best bet is to hope that there are many, many pro-union people that believe in his politics as well as considering their union's endorsement. Strong-arm that ain't.
    We only got JFK on the votes of a few dead people!

Harrier on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

It was still ethically wrong.

Satan. on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

doesn't matter. i want to see Obama, above all other candidates, run the most honest, most clean campaign possible. there have already been allegations of the Culinary Union strongarming its members. fortunately they've been proven false so far. but i can easily imagine dozens of headlines following this Saturday hinting at voting shenanigans from all of the candidates, and that does not reflect well for any of them or for the Dems as a whole.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So Senator Leahy just endorsed Obama ( http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2008/01/cnn-leahy-to-en.html ).

Since Leahy is also appearing in a cameo role in "The Dark Knight," this is about as close as a candidate can get to a Batman endorsement.

Well, that or Christian Bale.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anyone else find it hilarious that it's the Chicago democratic candidate that's the one seeking the ethical high ground and seemingly being pegged at that position by default? Not that Tammany Hall wasn't corrupt, but it's hard to top our political history.

moniker on
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh. What's Michael Keaton? Chopped liver? You scoundrel.

2) “You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.”

Hembot on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hembot wrote: »
    Oh. What's Michael Keaton? Chopped liver? You scoundrel.

I'll go so far as Adam West and/or Kevin Conroy, but that's it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So Senator Leahy just endorsed Obama ( http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2008/01/cnn-leahy-to-en.html ).

Since Leahy is also appearing in a cameo role in "The Dark Knight," this is about as close as a candidate can get to a Batman endorsement.

Well, that or Christian Bale.
    The motherfucker had a cameo in Batman & Robin. At best, appearing in Dark Knight is redemption.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

doesn't matter. i want to see Obama, above all other candidates, run the most honest, most clean campaign possible. there have already been allegations of the Culinary Union strongarming its members. fortunately they've been proven false so far. but i can easily imagine dozens of headlines following this Saturday hinting at voting shenanigans from all of the candidates, and that does not reflect well for any of them or for the Dems as a whole.
    Precisely this for me as well. A major personal draw to Obama's campaign is its authenticity, honesty, and purity, whether only perceived or not. Something like what you describe, Harrier, is a tremendous blow to his campaign's desirability, at least for me.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    the RNC spin on Leahy's endorsement is hurting my brain:
    RNC wrote:
    "Glowing endorsements from establishment liberals like Leahy and (Sen. John) Kerry are indicative of the sort of 'change' Obama would bring. It's no surprise that the liberal lions love Obama's plans to raise taxes and increase spending. On the other hand, the Democratic senators' rejection of Clinton is nothing short of stunning. Clinton is running on her record, but those that know it best –- her Senate colleagues -- are increasingly rejecting her candidacy."

wow. just, wow.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh God, Obama on the weakness question in the debate:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/obama-skewers-critics-in-nevada/#more-3885
    As the room erupts in laughter, he continues: “If I had gone last I would have known what the game was. I could have said, ‘Well you know, I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don’t want to be helped. It’s terrible.’”

I am-a laughin'.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    the RNC spin on Leahy's endorsement is hurting my brain:
    RNC wrote:
    "Glowing endorsements from establishment liberals like Leahy and (Sen. John) Kerry are indicative of the sort of 'change' Obama would bring. It's no surprise that the liberal lions love Obama's plans to raise taxes and increase spending. On the other hand, the Democratic senators' rejection of Clinton is nothing short of stunning. Clinton is running on her record, but those that know it best –- her Senate colleagues -- are increasingly rejecting her candidacy."

wow. just, wow.

Shouldn't Democrats take the RNC's preference for Hillary as a sign that they're scared of Obama, maybe b/c he'd pose the greatest threat to the Republican candidate, i.e. electability?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    About Obama's joke: yeah, that's kind of funny.

Obama's honest attempt to answer the "what's your greatest weakness" question summarizes why I love the guy. Man, everybody knows you're supposed to bullshit that question, but he was actually honest and answered when nobody else would have. Considering that question is like the fucking holy grail of bullshit questions, actually answering it shows at least a pretty solid commitment to honesty. Maybe that's even naive of him, but I still love it.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Talka wrote: »
    About Obama's joke: yeah, that's kind of funny.

Obama's honest attempt to answer the "what's your greatest weakness" question summarizes why I love the guy. Man, everybody knows you're supposed to bullshit that question, but he was actually honest and answered when nobody else would have. Considering that question is like the fucking holy grail of bullshit questions, actually answering it shows at least a pretty solid commitment to honesty. Maybe that's even naive of him, but I still love it.

Seriously - that's like the definitive bullshit question. When it's asked at job interviews both parties know that what's actually being asked is "How well can you spin words?" and maybe "Are you familiar enough with job interviews to know this is a bullshit question?" The fact that he continually rises above the bullshit that has become commonplace is just so fucking admirable. I barely even think of the guy as a "politician," b/c the word has so many negative connotations that just don't apply to him.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So Obama's got the largest ground operation in Nevada right now. That's got to count for something, right? His people know how to do caucuses. They could leave an effective impression on some of the first-time caucus-goers in Nevada.

Let's assume he can tie it up with Clinton across the state. The Culinary Union's representatives would probably be enough to put him over the top- even if some of their members scatter to Clinton or Edwards, they won't be the unit the union will represent.

At least this is a caucus, so the Latinos can't secretly decide they don't want to vote for a black man.

Harrier on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So the casino caucuses in Nevada have been allowed to go ahead. That's good for Obama, right?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    20010411h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.