As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A voter's struggle.

RuzanRuzan Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Quick question. If you vote for someone that you know has no chance to win, but is really the only person worthy of your vote, did you waste your vote?

If you say "plz" because it is shorter than "please" then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than "yes".
Ruzan on

• Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pretty vague scenario.

In principle, no, you didn't waste it. A vote for a candidate who can't win can help to bolster the ideas she stands for in the long term. But that doesn't mean voting for her is tactically the best way for you to promote your politics, or hers. Sometimes you have to cast the vote that will most hurt the candidate you most disagree with. If the antichrist is running neck in neck with a candidate you don't really care for, you have to vote for the one you don't care for. A lot depends on the situation.

darthmix on
  • Options
    GooGoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you vote for someone who has the overwhelming chance to win, isn't that also pretty much wasting your vote?

I think the only right way to do it is to vote for the candidate you believe in. Tacky as that sounds.

In any case, it is kind of hard to tell, as this is pretty vague. Are we talking nominations or actual elections here?

Goo on
    sonicyouthch6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    darthmix wrote: »
    Pretty vague scenario.

In principle, no, you didn't waste it. A vote for a candidate who can't win can help to bolster the ideas she stands for in the long term. But that doesn't mean voting for her is tactically the best way for you to promote your politics, or hers. Sometimes you have to cast the vote that will most hurt the candidate you most disagree with. If the antichrist is running neck in neck with a candidate you don't really care for, you have to vote for the one you don't care for. A lot depends on the situation.

Thank you for the reply, the only problem i have with it is your use of "she" and "her".

If my original post was too vague, I guess I can just go ahead and spill it. Just didn't want this to be the #200th Ron Paul thread is all.

- And talking "actual elections"

Ruzan on
    If you say "plz" because it is shorter than "please" then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than "yes".
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It depends. If enough people vote for a guy who doesn't win that can act as a sign to his opponents of how popular his views are and they may try to incorporate some of these views into their own platform in an attempt to steal votes back from him.

However in a case where there were (say) 2 politicians who stood a chance of winning and several who do not it's often better to vote for the guy with a chance that you would prefer rather than using your vote on a no-chance guy who more accurately represents your views. The no-chance guy's never going to win and it's probably a good idea to vote for the "lesser of two evils" so that the guy you really dislike doesn't win. Essentially you'd be voting against rather than voting for.

Starcross on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ruzan, you voted for Gravel, didn't you ;)

it's not a waste of a vote. in an ideally-functioning democracy, you should be voting for the person whom you feel is best qualified for the position. if your candidate has no clear hope of winning at all, you at least send the frontrunners a signal that they didn't secure your vote because their stances or campaigns didn't convince you, and that they have to adjust to gain your trust and your vote.

of course, in the real world, things aren't ideal. but if we value democracy as an ideal, i don't think we should be the ones helping to perpetuate the bad aspects of democratic voting processes.

that being said, i have a hate-on for John Edwards right now and know that that's completely at odds with my principles :P

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ruzan wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, the only problem i have with it is your use of "she" and "her".

:|

One of the cool things about philosophy is that it's conventional to use 'she' as the generic third person pronoun.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hijacking my own thread for a sec here...

fightinfilipino, you are the winner of the best sig ever.

Ruzan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    MrMister wrote: »

One of the cool things about philosophy is that it's conventional to use 'she' as the generic third person pronoun.

Well I thought the author was assuming something about my vote heading towards scag clinton or something.

Ruzan on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's no way to pluralize a specific candidate, and I get sick of trying to avoid gender-specific personal pronouns when talking about hypothetical people. So, I try to switch it up. I say "he" sometimes, and "she" sometimes.

I didn't know you were talking about Ron Paul.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There's no way to pluralize a specific candidate, and I get sick of trying to avoid gender-specific personal pronouns when talking about hypothetical people. So, I try to switch it up. I say "he" sometimes, and "she" sometimes.

That was my own fault for being so vague.

Ruzan on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    in an ideally-functioning democracy, you should be voting for the person whom you feel is best qualified for the position.

I don't see why voter strategy is bad, in this instance. I'm certainly not going to vote for Kucinich, and I don't see why I would in an ideally functioning democracy either. Coalition building is a part of any democracy, ideal or not, and that requires compromise.

MrMister on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Well I thought the author was assuming something about my vote heading towards scag clinton or something.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you— What is wrong with America!

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    GooGoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Scag Clinton."

Wow.

Goo on
    sonicyouthch6.png
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Adrien wrote: »

You're saying scag clinton is what's wrong with america? Well the people in new hampshire ssure don't agree with you!

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh, your vote doesn't really matter anyway, so vote for whoever makes you feel best.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I have a huge problem with the US being a two-party nation. And from my European perspective the parties only differ in what end of the boiled egg they start eating.

Only having two parties with a realistic chance at getting enough votes to matter (at least on the national level) leads to stagnation.

Echo on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2008

In fairness I think that Paul been elbow-deep in vagina enough times to qualify as an honorary woman.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

That's trendy in all modern usage, not just philosophy.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I have a huge problem with the US being a two-party nation. And from my European perspective the parties only differ in what end of the boiled egg they start eating.

Only having two parties with a realistic chance at getting enough votes to matter (at least on the national level) leads to stagnation.
    Yeah, winner-takes-all elections are a major problem.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No one's vote has any particular importance, in most cases. It's another drop in the bucket.

It might be best if people simply ignored what everyone else thought and voted what they felt was best, especially for voter turnout. This doesn't work too well in the two-party system, though, because having two candidates with similar ideological views hurts both of them.

I just wish more young people would vote.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    and then to add my own two cents, I always (naively perhaps?) assumed that the point of voting was to vote for the person you wanted to represent you in the office that you are voting for. I have no idea why their chances of winning should enter into that process at all.

• Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited January 2008
    Adrien wrote: »

You're saying scag clinton is what's wrong with america? Well the people in new hampshire ssure don't agree with you!

No, he's saying the mentality that breeds that idiotic term is what's wrong.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

A lot of Americans don't like it that way either, which was the purpose of Ralph Nader running under the Green Party in 2000. He didn't expect to win, but was trying to get enough of the vote to get federal recognition and money for a third party, which he failed to do. It will never change because as long the two parties stay in power, they're going to do everything they can to shut out any third parties. That, and a lot of third parties also tend to run on platforms like don't expect or even want to win, but whatever.

While I don't like Noam Chomsky, he did say something that is true, at least IMO. He said that the U.S. is not a two party system; it's a one party system, and the Democrats and Republicans are merely two factions of the same party, both representing the interests of the elite.

As for the OP, it depends on the scenario. If you are referring to the U.S. primary, if it is a winner-takes-all state, then yes, you've mostly wasted your vote. Otherwise, sort of. If the candidate can get any delegates, it's worth it because it could be warning sign to the party that their front runner is losing backing and could face worse challenges in the general election, and it creates a public gauge on how the public is thinking/feeling. This still happens when the popular vote is counted in the primaries in winner-takes-all states, but it doesn't have quite the effect if popular vote isn't linked to the number of delegates.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

Yeah, good thing you're in fucking Sweden. Read through the primaries thread or read up on the candidates. They're extremely different.

Satan. on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    celery77 wrote: »
    and then to add my own two cents, I always (naively perhaps?) assumed that the point of voting was to vote for the person you wanted to represent you in the office that you are voting for. I have no idea why their chances of winning should enter into that process at all.
    At the same time, it's rare that a politician is 100% in agreement or disagreement with your own position. To be completely practical, you would want to weigh the percentage of a candidate's platform that matches yours (and, I suppose, the percentage that directly opposes yours) with the likelihood that they'll be elected. The candidate who only agrees with you 75% but is a shoo-in to win is a more practical choice than Joe Schmoe who could be your ideological twin but will never win, ever.

In case it hasn't been noted yet, this only concerns the pragmatic value of your vote - and not everyone votes along those lines anyway.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yeah, good thing you're in fucking Sweden. Read through the primaries thread or read up on the candidates. They're extremely different.
    The two who end up the winners of their respective party's candidacy will be pretty similar on the overwhelming majority of issues, and it will almost assuredly be one of the candidates that had been tagged as front-runners for a year or two now (Huckabee's push the only real chance of mucking that up). The two-party system is a mess. It's mailny a fight over who can attach the most pork for their respective donors, not much else.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    At the same time, it's rare that a politician is 100% in agreement or disagreement with your own position. To be completely practical, you would want to weigh the percentage of a candidate's platform that matches yours (and, I suppose, the percentage that directly opposes yours) with the likelihood that they'll be elected. The candidate who only agrees with you 75% but is a shoo-in to win is a more practical choice than Joe Schmoe who could be your ideological twin but will never win, ever.

In case it hasn't been noted yet, this only concerns the pragmatic value of your vote - and not everyone votes along those lines anyway.
    No, that's not true at all and completely misses my point.

It's a representative democracy, so you vote for the person who you want to represent you. If someone represents you 90%, and someone else represents you 75%, it would seem the smart thing to do would be to vote for the person who represents you the most. Putting your support behind a candidate you don't truly support, regardless of their chance of victory, seems to entirely miss the point of voting for me.

• Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, good thing you're in fucking Sweden
    :? What does that have to do with anything?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The only way to truly waste your vote is to not use it at all.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

No, that's not true at all and completely misses my point.

It's a representative democracy, so you vote for the person who you want to represent you. If someone represents you 90%, and someone else represents you 75%, it would seem the smart thing to do would be to vote for the person who represents you the most. Putting your support behind a candidate you don't truly support, regardless of their chance of victory, seems to entirely miss the point of voting for me.

Unless, of course, there is another candidate that only represents you 25% running neck in neck with the one who represents you 75%. At this point Thanatos will just say that your vote has absolutely zero chance of mattering any way you slice it, but the point is that in a first-past-the-post system, there are situations where the most optimal end result might require voting for the less-than-optimal candidate.

EDIT: And even this only matters if a race is close enough, or a third candidate popular enough, and if that candidate draws significantly more from one side than the other (thus impacting the end result). Like Nader in 2000, or Perot in 1992.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Unless, of course, there is another candidate that only represents you 25% running neck in neck with the one who represents you 75%. At this point Thanatos will just say that your vote has absolutely zero chance of mattering any way you slice it, but the point is that in a first-past-the-post system, there are situations where the most optimal end result might require voting for the less-than-optimal candidate.

EDIT: And even this only matters if a race is close enough, or a third candidate popular enough, and if that candidate draws significantly more from one side than the other (thus impacting the end result). Like Nader in 2000, or Perot in 1992.
    I firmly believe that the voting booth is for voting for who you want to represent you, and if you're not doing that (which, based on the way most people talk about politicians, talk about Pubs and Dems, and talk about our electorate in general, I don't think they are doing that), you're doing it wrong.

Of course there is the politics of compromise, but it shouldn't be the voters compromising their first-choice votes, it should be the elected representatives compromising with each other. There are so many superior voting systems to "one vote, winner-takes-all" that it just maddens me to no end that it's the only method available in the overwhelming majority of American elections. If there's any reason to discourage me from voting, it's exactly that. I've personally voted in every single election available to me (minus two special elections, I won't lie) and yet appallingly few of those votes have been represented in any meaningful way by the eventual elected representatives. It's a mess. It pisses me off.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Yeah, good thing you're in fucking Sweden
    :? What does that have to do with anything?

As much as I can read about Swedish politics, I would never offer an opinion on their political system/workings because I don't live there. I can't understand Swedish life because I'm not Swedish. Let the Swedes figure out their politics; let the Americans figure theirs out. I see this thread going south in a big hurry, so PM any response you may have -- probably won't be checking back.

Satan. on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008

The keyword here being "candidates". I'll gladly read up on the politics of the survivors when the poop flinging is done.

Echo on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Basically the choice is between the negligible chance that your vote will be the deciding factor between a viable candidate you can accept and a viable candidate you cannot accept, and the infinitesimal amount of influence your vote for a hopeless candidate will sway the philosophical approach of the party.

You're probably okay voting for Ron Paul if you honestly and in a fully-informed fashion don't really care between the viable candidates. Though I stress "honestly and in a fully-informed fashion".

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

The keyword here being "candidates". I'll gladly read up on the politics of the survivors when the poop flinging is done.

Obama/Hilary will end up for the Dems. Compare them to any of the Republicans. They differ on a lot of issues.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I firmly believe that the voting booth is for voting for who you want to represent you, and if you're not doing that (which, based on the way most people talk about politicians, talk about Pubs and Dems, and talk about our electorate in general, I don't think they are doing that), you're doing it wrong.

Of course there is the politics of compromise, but it shouldn't be the voters compromising their first-choice votes, it should be the elected representatives compromising with each other. There are so many superior voting systems to "one vote, winner-takes-all" that it just maddens me to no end that it's the only method available in the overwhelming majority of American elections. If there's any reason to discourage me from voting, it's exactly that. I've personally voted in every single election available to me (minus two special elections, I won't lie) and yet appallingly few of those votes have been represented in any meaningful way by the eventual elected representatives. It's a mess. It pisses me off.

You're in favour of an abundance of parties, then, each citizen voting for the party that best represents their own interests and then the parties forming coalitions, etc as necessary?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My struggle is whether to vote for the best candidate (Kucinich) or the candidate who isn't overtly evil (Obama) and has a chance of winning.

I will instead vote for Discordia and spray-paint a billboard or something.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    My struggle is whether to vote for the best candidate (Kucinich) or the candidate who isn't overtly evil (Obama) and has a chance of winning.

I will instead vote for Discordia and spray-paint a billboard or something.

The nation will be well-served by your contribution to democracy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You're in favour of an abundance of parties, then, each citizen voting for the party that best represents their own interests and then the parties forming coalitions, etc as necessary?

That's why I'll write myself in on the ballot.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Basically.

And whether or not multitudes of parties is desirable (or even achievable given various voting systems which still aren't winner-takes-all) at the federal level, it is without a doubt applicable at the state and local level, and it pisses me off that it's not an option that's even considered.

Of course, one of the major reasons we'll never see reform on this front from either the Republics or the Democrats is because their hold on power is predicated on the winner-takes-all system, and any changes to that would seriously endanger their parties.

I also realize this means we would get some fundy nuts out of Kansas, but at least in this instance they probably wouldn't be quite as wed to special interest money as well.