As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCIV Gets Exclusive Characters: Darth Vader(PS3) & Yoda(360), Now With Trailer!

toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
UPDATE: Sad news - only one character per console.

360 gets Yoda, PS3 gets Darth Vader.

http://kotaku.com/343067/ps3-xbox-360-get-exclusive-star-wars-soulcalibur-iv-characters
Kotaku wrote:
The recently announced guest appearances of Darth Vader and Yoda in Soulcalibur IV come with a catch—each release will feature a console exclusive Star Wars character, with Darth Vader playable only in the PlayStation 3 version, Yoda playable only in the Xbox 360 version. Yes, you'll be able to enjoy pitting light saber against sword, but you may not be able to actually have a Yoda versus Darth battle unless Namco Bandai and LucasArts decide to make them available via downloadable content.

First Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29535.html -- Really just a teaser tag at the end.

media-1.jpg
media.jpg
media-2.jpg
6p9v9th.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334
1UP wrote:
Soul Calibur and Star Wars fans gather 'round -- while haters grab a six pack of Haterade and their always-ready flamethrowers -- because Namco Bandai has finally released new info on the rumored secret characters set to appear in their highly-anticipated fighter, Soul Calibur IV, and 1UP has 'em first. In case you don't believe your eyes as they scan over these screenshots, you are indeed seeing the legendary purveyor of the Dark Side, Darth Vader, and his Force-wielding nemesis, Yoda.

Yes, we know what you're thinking. You're thinking "What the hell are Darth Vader and Yoda doing in my Soul Calibur sequel?" But how are these two any less logical (or illogical) than Link or Spawn (we'll let Heihachi slide since he's in Tekken)? You're probably also wondering "Where the damn is Luke Skywalker, Darth Maul and Boba Fett?" Well, Boba Fett doesn't really use melee weapons, unless you count that stick on his back that he never uses. But Luke and Darth maul make a lot of sense. While we can't answer all of these questions just now, we suspect that Namco Bandai still has plenty of stuff up their sleeve. Given their recent Ace Combat 6 shenanigans, we wouldn't be surprised to learn that additional Star Wars characters are paid-for downloadable content. It's unlikely that the company would go through all these negotiations with LucasArts to obtain the rights to only two characters, so expect more announcements as we get closer to SCIV's release date.

You might be praying to an assortment of gods above that Han Solo isn't given the carbonite boot in favor of Greedo or some loser from the Cantina scene, or that Anakin Skywalker and Jar-Jar Binks aren't added to the increasingly weird mix. Only time will tell if these characters do or don't make it into the game, but Darth Vader and Yoda have the obvious advantage of being fictional constructs, whereas some of the other possibilities would undoubtedly involve added likeness and licensing costs.

You're also probably wondering about how balanced a fight against Yoda, and his diminutive stature might be. Well, we never said Soul Calibur was perfectly balanced, and he's not that dissimilar to Gon, the tiny, manga dinosaur from Tekken 3 (PS1). All we can say is 'low sweep.' So, peruse these shots and start conjuring up your dream SC vs. SW match in the back of your minds (Taki versus Princess Leia? Light sabers versus Soul Edge? Yes, please!) Who would win? You'll soon be able to find out.

!!!!!!!!!!!

This is crazy, right? Possibly more on the way too!

OTP.jpg
toxk_02 on

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm speechless. I fucking hate Soul Calibur, but I really want to play this now.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WHAT?!

I oh my god. I've died. I've died and this is heaven.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This is all Brawl's fault.

Thank you Brawl.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is the best combination of anything since chocolate and peanut butter.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, that's really cool.

Like really cool.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm so happy it's not April 1st because this is cooler than Sonic in brawl.

Like way cooler.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It is your destiny. Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy.

This must be somewhere in the game.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I guess this is what Masters of Teras Kasi wanted to be all those years ago.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Where are Yoda's underboobs?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    Where are Yoda's underboobs?
    A DLC costume baby.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    balbonibalboni Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, considering I used to own the crap that was Masters of Teras Kasi and thought it was still kinda cool, you can bet this will be on my purchase list.

Kinda funny I got SCII partially due to Link, and now I am getting IV for Star Wars. And I got Ehrgeiz for Cloud and Seph. Man I am easy to sell to :P

balboni on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    what the feck??

whatever. i'll bite. this looks awesome.

Guek on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jesus I actually want to not like it for some reason and yet I do. I haven't played a Soul Calibur since the first one on Dreamcast but I may have to pick this one up.

corin7 on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soulcalibur IV, Episode IV, huhuh, get it, guys?

I forget: is SCIV console exclusive? I remember hearing something about a PS3 version, but I may be mistaken.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cool, I guess. I like Soul Calibur, I like Darth Vader, I can't argue too much. I really think they shouldn't be adding any more than this, though. Or if they really want to, just rip off Smash Bros. wholesale and pull in a couple of other franchises. XD

What's this tying in with, anyway?

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On reading the title: That's retarded.

On seeing screens: Retarded awesome.

Pb on
  • Options
    BigSpaceMonkeyBigSpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WANT!

BigSpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    *STUNNED*

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After their SF Shen Long announcement (think that was them?), I'm not convinced.

Hope it's true though!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Akito01Akito01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, people here are actually on board with this? This is seen as something positive? I'm the only one going 'WTF, are they effing serious?'.

I mean, I'm a nobody here, and my opinions count for nothing, but good lord, isn't this just a huge example of pandering, of throwing something out there for the stereotypical geeks to go crazy for despite it having no game logic whatsoever? I mean, just...just... man.

Akito01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MEGATON!!!!

KimFidler on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thats the coolest fucking thing ever. I was already going to get SC4 anyways, but damn. Screw Sonic and Snake in Brawl, this is cooler.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    what they should of done was just replace all the soul calibur characters.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This could be really cool.

Or....

This could suck beyond belief.

I just don't know. There is a special place in my heart for Teras Kasi though.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want to hate it.

But I can't.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Akito01 wrote: »
    So, people here are actually on board with this? This is seen as something positive? I'm the only one going 'WTF, are they effing serious?'.

I mean, I'm a nobody here, and my opinions count for nothing, but good lord, isn't this just a huge example of pandering, of throwing something out there for the stereotypical geeks to go crazy for despite it having no game logic whatsoever? I mean, just...just... man.

Right, like after throwing in Link, Spawn and Heihachi we should really focus on how the series is pandering now.

Pb on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

if Link can help sell soul calibur 2, this well definitely help sell number 4.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Besides, anyone who plays a fighting game for story and coherency is just being silly.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sure it reeks of pandering and cash-ins and money hats, but it also looks really really nice.

Renzo on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I think most people posting in this thread, like me, already love Soul Calibur and were going to buy it anyway, making this an AWESOME, AWESOME bonus.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pb wrote: »

Right, like after throwing in Link, Spawn and Heihachi we should really focus on how the series is pandering now.

Besides Link, Spawn, and Heiachi all had actual storylines that explained why they where in the SC2 setting.

I seriously doubt Vader and Yoda won't get the same treatment.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do you suppose Vader will occasionally shout "NOOOOOOOOO!" after beating a female opponent? That would single-handledly convince me to buy a PS3.

Well, not really.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    You've got to be shitting me.

Tube on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    On reading the title: That's retarded.

On seeing screens: Retarded awesome.

I had the exact same reaction.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Of course we all know that storyline is important and makes a lot of sense in Soul Calibur!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is a total mindfuck. I don't even know what to say about this.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Maybe just maybe, this WONT be like SC2. Where they try to force me into buying more than one copy.

I got Spawn, wanted Link, could care less bout the other dude.

Lets hope I don't have to buy a PS3 for Yoda when I can get Vader on my 360.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FUCKING AWESOME!

I wonder if they'll have Force powers?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope they did this because of Smash Bros and its growing roster of awesome and oddness. I want to see this Cold War escalation between Soul Caliber and Smash Bros with both games just throwing in all sorts of shit.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Besides, anyone who plays a fighting game for story and coherency is just being silly.

I agree. I gave up on Soul Calibur's story with Soul Calibur.

As far as I'm concerned, if they fight with a weapon, they should be in this game.

Lynx on