As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LewiePs Mummy painting for Penny Arcade forum. NSF56k

1414243444547»

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Feel free to do any others first that you hear from though! I don't mind being skipped over for being slow

• 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    Only 5 away!!! I haven't forgotten about you, LPM! I just moved again and saw the date on your first painting. Never did get it repaired, I'm thinking I'll frame it between two pieces of glass, like an old flag. It still looks great :)

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Well, long time, no post!

I've had a challenging few months, cumulating in a difficult to accept, but very easy to make decision.

TL;DR: my left arm is packing up, I'm retiring.

The longer version:
    For the past year or so, I've been having problems with my left shoulder, arm and hand, and in that easily done way, I've ignored it. In case you don't know, as well as having ME, I also have Poland's Syndrome, a congenital defect of the upper left quarter of my body, which means I have some missing muscles, bones and nerves. Thankfully, my heart and left lung aren't affected. I have slight scoliosis, a short arm and webbed 1" long fingers that don't move much. I've been getting pins and needles, been dropping my fork, and pain in my shoulder. I ignored it. The pain got worse until it started impacting my ability to drive, sleep and function. After X-rays, MRIs, nerve and muscle function tests, I've been told it's not fixable, take more drugs.

This has been quite hard to deal with - not the pain, but the losing function. It impacts my ability to drive, which then restricts what I can do, as I can't walk far. If I do drive, I hurt, so I have to take stupid meds, which then mean I can't drive, so I can't go out.

I've been off work since the middle of April, and am now being medically retired, as I'm not safe to be at work on the drugs, and can't concentrate because of the pain if I don't take the drugs. My balance is affected, too, so I'm falling over a bit more.

My pension will be about half my salary, and because my condition has changed, I will receive more disability benefits. It will still be less than I currently earn, which will be a challenge in itself.

I've never lived to work, but my arm deciding to pack up on me has been very difficult to deal with. One consequence has been the loss of some things I enjoy - I can't play my guitar any more, as it hurts my left shoulder - I play left handed, have an Ibanez jumbo acoustic. It's now gathering dust. Sewing is a challenge, too - I make bridalwear as another hobby, but sewing hurts my left arm.

I'd stopped painting - mainly because I was zonked on the pain meds, but also because I felt rubbish.

I'm slowly coming out of the funk, and accepting what I can't change. I'm also starting to paint again, which actually helps with how I feel. I guess I'll just have to learn a new way of doing things, and try not to let it get to me. Next week I'll be starting the next painting, for @Radiation. We've already had a conversation about my radio silence, so we're good.

I'm also going to continue my Doorways paintings; I'll be posting about them as well.

Also, commissions gratefully received!!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Well, long time, no post!

I've had a challenging few months, cumulating in a difficult to accept, but very easy to make decision.

TL;DR: my left arm is packing up, I'm retiring.

The longer version:
    For the past year or so, I've been having problems with my left shoulder, arm and hand, and in that easily done way, I've ignored it. In case you don't know, as well as having ME, I also have Poland's Syndrome, a congenital defect of the upper left quarter of my body, which means I have some missing muscles, bones and nerves. Thankfully, my heart and left lung aren't affected. I have slight scoliosis, a short arm and webbed 1" long fingers that don't move much. I've been getting pins and needles, been dropping my fork, and pain in my shoulder. I ignored it. The pain got worse until it started impacting my ability to drive, sleep and function. After X-rays, MRIs, nerve and muscle function tests, I've been told it's not fixable, take more drugs.

This has been quite hard to deal with - not the pain, but the losing function. It impacts my ability to drive, which then restricts what I can do, as I can't walk far. If I do drive, I hurt, so I have to take stupid meds, which then mean I can't drive, so I can't go out.

I've been off work since the middle of April, and am now being medically retired, as I'm not safe to be at work on the drugs, and can't concentrate because of the pain if I don't take the drugs. My balance is affected, too, so I'm falling over a bit more.

My pension will be about half my salary, and because my condition has changed, I will receive more disability benefits. It will still be less than I currently earn, which will be a challenge in itself.

I've never lived to work, but my arm deciding to pack up on me has been very difficult to deal with. One consequence has been the loss of some things I enjoy - I can't play my guitar any more, as it hurts my left shoulder - I play left handed, have an Ibanez jumbo acoustic. It's now gathering dust. Sewing is a challenge, too - I make bridalwear as another hobby, but sewing hurts my left arm.

I'd stopped painting - mainly because I was zonked on the pain meds, but also because I felt rubbish.

I'm slowly coming out of the funk, and accepting what I can't change. I'm also starting to paint again, which actually helps with how I feel. I guess I'll just have to learn a new way of doing things, and try not to let it get to me. Next week I'll be starting the next painting, for @Radiation. We've already had a conversation about my radio silence, so we're good.

I'm also going to continue my Doorways paintings; I'll be posting about them as well.

Also, commissions gratefully received!!

As I've said before, anything I can do to help, please let me know.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Geez, that is a double whammy of super sucky health problems. :bigfrown:

Sending some internet hugs your way, I hope you can still find some joy/respite in your art.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Right. It's time to stop feeling sorry for myself and start painting again.
    @Radiation, I'm starting yours. It's fab, I'm going to enjoy painting it.
    I'm actually in Kos (a Greek island) for a week, with spotty Internet, so I hope no one minds, I'm just going to link to canvas and paints, as it will be quicker than trying to upload pictures to imgur.
    This evening, I've drawn the pencil outline, tomorrow I'll start painting it. If feels so good to be doing this :)

canvas and paints: Painting again!!! :)http://canvasandpaints.blogspot.com/2015/09/painting-again.html?spref=tw

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That's the island that's getting all the Syrian refugees isn't it?

steam_sig.png
    No, that's Lesbos, although refugees are landing across many parts of the Mediterranean.

OH MAN! That is looking amazing! I'm trying not to check here too much, because its my turn and I want to calm my excitement slightly.

Well, I'm in hospital. What I thought was a bad ME flare turned out to be a nasty kidney infection. I'm on an IV drip of antibiotics and a morphine/tramadol combo for pain relief. I expect to be in here for a week or so. Thank God for the NHS, as my treatment is free :)
    I'll be out of action for a few weeks :(

Well, I'm in hospital. What I thought was a bad ME flare turned out to be a nasty kidney infection. I'm on an IV drip of antibiotics and a morphine/tramadol combo for pain relief. I expect to be in here for a week or so. Thank God for the NHS, as my treatment is free :)
    I'll be out of action for a few weeks :(

That is super lame. Whoot for socialized healthcare though. Hope you feel better soon, and have a swift recovery!

Well, I'm back. Not before time, I know. The kidney infection knocked me for 6, I was ill for ages. I also found out I have 7 gall stones, each the size of my thumb nail. They are staying where they are, though, as they're not causing any problems.

Since Chistmas, I've had 2 further infections - a chest infection, which was quite scary, as at one point, I couldn't breathe - I woke up in the night unable to get any air into my lungs - fortunately, I had an inhaler in the bathroom, and I made it there before I passed out. I've also had tonsillitis, but am feeling ok now.

Anyway, I've made a little progress with the painting I'm doing for @Radiation , so here's a couple of pictures:

i1hq40ah02lk.jpg

g210m55qzlmy.jpg

I'm enjoying this, and hope to get a little more done soon :)

I'll do the outlining once I've finished all the painting.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @LewieP's Mummy Geez. Glad to hear you're still alive. I think you and your body need to have a long talk, Hulk versus Loki style. :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Yeah, I'm still alive, (always wanted to fit that into a sentence!), slowly getting my head around things, and painting again, which is good! Xxx

edited March 2016
    So, it's only part way through March! It was the first day of Spring yesterday, well in England it was. Doesn't feel any different, still cold :(

Anyway, a couple of updates: the meds are still challenging, I'm reducing the amount of tramadol I'm taking, cos I'm not happy with the side effects, and using heat pads to manage the pain in my shoulder.

But more importantly, I've been painting!!!

Here's where I'm up to on the painting for @Radiation

44z9kmpwsqov.jpg
    qbepyjmisptv.jpg

http://canvasandpaints.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/lego-marvel-superheroes-continued.html

LewieP's Mummy on

I've finished the background of @Radiation's painting, not much more to do now :)

9z348fdcxfu3.jpg

http://canvasandpaints.blogspot.com/2016/04/lego-marvel-superheroes-background.html

It's almost done!!! About time, too!

v8l1cne8ylyg.jpg

Well, it's finished, I'm just waiting for @Radiation to send me his address, and I'll be posting it off.

That means @Junpei , you're up next!!

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Well, it's finished, I'm just waiting for @Radiation to send me his address, and I'll be posting it off.

That means @Junpei , you're up next!!

I'm afraid I will have to pass indefinitely, cash flow is trickled to nothing as I have to move home. Feel free to remove me from the list as I'm not sure when I will be able to spare for this. Sorry : (

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    LPM, as usual, you don't disappoint. I'm glad to hear the healing is going well.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Thank you, MegaMan001, you're very kind :)

I've heard from @Tofystedeth, and I'll be painting Mercy from Overwatch this time. I really love this image, just hope I can do it justice!

I'm waiting to find out what size painting Tofystedeth wants, then I'll be starting :)

Here it is :)