As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Connections

Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I live with 3 other people (students), and hooking my 360 up to my laptop has been quite difficult so far; in that it hasn't worked yet.

First of all, the set up in my house is:

Wireless router downstairs
My Laptop Upstairs, connected wirelessly
3 other housemates, connected in the same way

At the moment, I don't have Xbox Live, so I don't necessarily require internet for the xbox. I do have Media Center though, and I wanted to mess around with the streaming and stuff.

I can't seem to set up a connection between the 360 and laptop; do I need a crossover cable? The 360 comes with a patch cable. I can't select ICS in my menu, it says the IP address is already being used or something, and the 360 setup thing says it can't obtain an IP from the DHCP server.

I have no idea about most of this.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Left Wing jAy on

• Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How are you trying to connect to it? With Windows Media Center, Vista, or just by finding the computer on the network?

There is a setup thing if you have media center that will link it to the 360 then it will kick it in to media center mode when you connect. If you are just trying to connect with XP you have to have media share on in windows media player. You click on the library button in windows media player and go down to media sharing. Once this is turned on and your 360 is on it should show up on your computer and ask if you want to share media to it. Then you should be able to connect to it from the 360. I have no clue how the vista one works if you are on vista.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Under your wireless connection, go to Properties, then I think Advanced, then turn on Internet Sharing. This is through XP, mind you, and I'm not 100% positive that's exactly how it goes, but you get the idea

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was able to get it set up with out having to do anything to my network at all.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I can't select ICS, when I tick the box it brings up an error about there not being an IP address available.

If I just connect the ethernet cable to my Laptop from the 360, the LAN indicator attempts to acquire an address for a while, then fails with 'limited or no connectivity'

Running the setup on the xbox also fails; it recognizes the wired connection, then fails on the IP part.

Can I not use ICS if me and 3 other people also connect to the router? I can't configure their setups to help mine.

I need to try this media sharing thing, I've not really made much use of media center since I got it. I thought I could just connect the 2 machines, then the 360 would 'find' the Pc, but it doesn't.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't know if this is an option for you but:

I had a similar prob, and the way I solved this was to move the wireless router into my room (I had a telephone port in there) and connect the 360 directly into that. (IE don't use the laptop as a gateway for the 360, just let the 360 connect on it's own)

When I had money, I invested in a wireless adapter for the 360, and the router went back down to the hallway.

Now - our house has

1 * desktop PC
    3 * wireless laptop
    1 * Nintendo Wii
    1 * Xbox360

that can all connect wirelessly to the internet with no problem. I guess you just need to shell out some cash if possible to make this happen.

As for your original problem of trying to connect the laptop and 360 direct, I can't help with that...

PS - I think your problem is that you are expecting the Laptop to assign an IP address to the xbox. I'm not sure it can do this... it is the router that assigns an address, and I don't know enough about Windows ICS to know if the router can assign the xbox an IP via the laptop... Sorry

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you want to connect the laptop directly to the 360 using a cable, you will need a crossover cable. Two hosts that want to link directly must have this cable to connect.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i have my xbox connected to live from both my laptop (vista) and desktop (xp) using internet connection sharing. I'm away from home, so i can't coach you, but i can get back to you on saturday.

Xbox never needs a crossover cable. It is able to intelligently disginguish what it is connected with and handle the crossover on the software side. Or so I've read.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xbox never needs a crossover cable. It is able to intelligently disginguish what it is connected with and handle the crossover on the software side. Or so I've read.

This is correct, i had mine plugged in with just a regular network cable and it worked fine.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.