As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So from someone who never really gave SotC the time of day back when it was released: the lizards. Does every lizard I see increase my grip strength gradually? I looked online and it said "white-tailed" lizards...the ones I see are all black on top, but white on the bottom. I'm eating their tails anyway, but as there's no indication of the grip meter increasing, am I wasting my time?

• Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So from someone who never really gave SotC the time of day back when it was released: the lizards. Does every lizard I see increase my grip strength gradually? I looked online and it said "white-tailed" lizards...the ones I see are all black on top, but white on the bottom. I'm eating their tails anyway, but as there's no indication of the grip meter increasing, am I wasting my time?
    Yea they will visibly have white tails, and they are usually hidden at different scenic points in the game world. Most save shrines will have a white tail with them. They're fast though and easy to miss. If you find a pretty place tucked away in the game world, usually there's a white tail there to reward you.

Also also, the fruit you sometimes see will increase your life gauge.

Lenore03 on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote:
    THEPAIN73 wrote:
    can anyone post the list for the trophies of SOTC only?

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/team-ico-collection-shadow-of-the-colossus/trophies/

thanks!

also new question, can we switch the controls? Like I make X my jump button in SOTC. Is that still an option?

Wow, those are some of the dumbest achievement names I've ever seen. They don't even make sense: Quadratus is a bull, not a sloth. Why not just call the achievement "Quadratus", or "Taurus Magnus" or something? Minor nitpick, I guess. But wow, those achievement names are dumb.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Maybe it's because he is slothful, not literally a sloth (the animal)

He is all kind of lazy in his cave till you go and wake him up

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Finished Ico again. Still shed a tear at the ending. Such a beautiful ending and ending theme.

SotC now! It's pretty awesome so far.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Well, I think I might end up just giving up on the Platinum trophy for SotC. I have everything done except for Hard Time Attack, which would be fine, except for colossus #3.

I don't know what happened during the remake, but they really managed to mess up his stomach area where the vital is. Even the slightest movement from him, including just walking makes you stagger to the point where it's impossible to even good a decent charge stab off. Not only that, but when I jump up to catch on to the middle of the vital sigil, it freaks out and I end up catching on quite a bit above it. Not to mention I've managed to fall through multiple colossi so far.

It's unfortunate to see that it's going to take nothing but luck to even have a chance to defeat the colossus in 5 minutes.

I've heard from a lot of people that Wander seems a lot more prone to staggering due to smaller movements from the colossus now

I'm still making my way through ICO again, so I haven't touched SotC yet myself though

I haven't even got my copy yet (or my PS3...) but I imagine, if there are any differences, it's something they changed for the PAL release. There were a number of little changes made to it, including removing that ledge halfway up the temple, so you can't cheat climbing it.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ugh Walmart near me didn't have this today. They had every other PS3 collection, both god of war ones, the uncharted one, the resistance one, the sly one, but no SoC/Ico. I left walmart sad but able to feed myself for the next month.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Best Buy just dropped this collection (along with GoW, Uncharted, and Resistance collections) to $25. Better grab it online now before they change the price.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    Jumped on that. Finally filling the one gap that was always in my PS2 library that I had always meant to play.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    B:L wrote:
    Best Buy just dropped this collection (along with GoW, Uncharted, and Resistance collections) to $25. Better grab it online now before they change the price.

You can also get Ico for $15 with a magazine coupon.

This is some bullshit, right here. Not even a week later and it's already lower. Don't these stores usually have a price match guarantee within a certain time frame?

I know it's just an additional $10 savings, but still.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I caved and bought the games. Utterly beautiful, it's amazing how well they stand up today. Playing through Ico at the moment, have played for about an hour in 2d and then an hour in 3D. Some of the scenery is utterly amazing in 3D.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Well, I think I might end up just giving up on the Platinum trophy for SotC. I have everything done except for Hard Time Attack, which would be fine, except for colossus #3.

I don't know what happened during the remake, but they really managed to mess up his stomach area where the vital is. Even the slightest movement from him, including just walking makes you stagger to the point where it's impossible to even good a decent charge stab off. Not only that, but when I jump up to catch on to the middle of the vital sigil, it freaks out and I end up catching on quite a bit above it. Not to mention I've managed to fall through multiple colossi so far.

It's unfortunate to see that it's going to take nothing but luck to even have a chance to defeat the colossus in 5 minutes.

I've heard from a lot of people that Wander seems a lot more prone to staggering due to smaller movements from the colossus now

I'm still making my way through ICO again, so I haven't touched SotC yet myself though

I haven't even got my copy yet (or my PS3...) but I imagine, if there are any differences, it's something they changed for the PAL release. There were a number of little changes made to it, including removing that ledge halfway up the temple, so you can't cheat climbing it.

After watching videos of HTA for Gaius from the PAL version, the problem definitely isn't from that version. Once they get to his stomach vital and get a charge stab off, they can basically keep chaining them with no problem. Whereas in the PS3 remaster, the slightest movement from Gaius will stagger you to the point where you can barely even start to stab, let alone get one charged to do any damage.

Even using the sword jump trick to shave time, my best attempt is still 1 minute and 6 seconds off from the time needed. I was getting so frustated after about 4 hours of tries I just moved on and finished the other time attacks, so now I just have Gaius left to get the platinum.

After spending 3 hours on #15, Argus, I think I figured out what the issue is. There is almost no delay between the actions of the colossi in the Remastered version, at least when it comes to the Bipedal ones (#1, #3, #6, #15). As soon as Argus finishes swaying side to side and you get a chance to balance out and start to stab, he immediately takes a step, which staggers you before you even get a decent charge. You're then stuck in a stagger chain until he decides to stop walking, but then he quickly starts to sway again before you can even try to attack.

It's a problem on #6 as well.
    When playing Hard and are going after the vital on his hand, in the PS2 games, after you get a charge stab off, he will shake his arm. After he shakes it once or twice, you then have time to get another charge stab off. In the PS3 remaster, after the first charge stab, you never get another chance to charge, he will just go from each arm shake too fast. The only option was to just get on the hand, charge stab once, then jump off and make him bend down again to get back on the hand.

Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Ico near-end question
    When you make it out the gate and the bridge starts retracting, what happens if you don't try to leap for Yorda?

• l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    Ico near-end question
    When you make it out the gate and the bridge starts retracting, what happens if you don't try to leap for Yorda?
    Eventually the bridge retracts all the way, and the other end is blocked by statues that you need Yorda to open, so you just end up running out of room and fall to your death

• DethrielDethriel Registered User new member
    Hey Coercionist, i cant seem to be able to climb the shrine do to the fact that they removed the rest spot at the top of the first strech. i have a crap ton of white tailed lizards killed in first time through the game +about half the save shrines from my second game. only have one colossi killed so far on second round. how large does the Stamina circle get at full stam? right now the circle encompasses the weapons window but not the right edge of the health bar. a picture would rock!

• xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Is the climbing glitch still in SotC? I remember getting to the top of the temple is hard/impossible without it.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Well, the game sold out online at Best Buy. I guess I could swing by the store and grab it.

Krathoon on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    xraydog wrote:
    Is the climbing glitch still in SotC? I remember getting to the top of the temple is hard/impossible without it.

No, they removed that from the PAL version.

Edit: The original PS2 PAL version, that is. No chance it's still in.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yup. As a poor European I have never seen the top of that temple. One day...

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was able to get to the top of the temple on my original American version by using the "jump glitch" or whatever it's called; basically, your stamina doesn't go down if you jump at a certain angle. When I moved to Australia, though, I picked up the PAL version, and found that they'd fixed the issue. The only way I was able to get to the top, then, was to just play the game over and over again, until I'd gathered up enough raw stamina to make it to the top. I think I read, at the time, that it would take 3 or 4 full playthroughs. I think I did two and a half before I stopped trying, lol.

Not sure how you're meant to get the achievement now.

• CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    Dethriel wrote:
    Hey Coercionist, i cant seem to be able to climb the shrine do to the fact that they removed the rest spot at the top of the first strech. i have a crap ton of white tailed lizards killed in first time through the game +about half the save shrines from my second game. only have one colossi killed so far on second round. how large does the Stamina circle get at full stam? right now the circle encompasses the weapons window but not the right edge of the health bar. a picture would rock!

The stamina circle goes past the right edge of the screen at max. As it gets closer to max, the circle will slowly grow more opaque until it's basically invisible. For reference, it took 3 complete playthroughs, and up to the fourth colossi on playthrough #4. I also collected all 77 lizard tails in two of those playthroughs, and about 30 in another.

You don't need exactly max stamina to reach the top of the shrine, just really close. Once the stamina circle starts to go past the right edge of the screen you should be able to make it.

Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    First time playing these games.

Those shadow creatures in Ico,
    they're... all the other boys with horns who couldn't escape, aren't they?
    Oh man.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Oh man.

Have you finished it yet?
    The last fight before the Queen really hammers it home.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    so is this collection worth getting? i own both of the games still and i'm horribly frugal.

pmdunk.jpg
    If you like the games enough to replay them occasionally, you should definitely get it at some point. Aside from the updated visuals, you get to play with a consistent framerate.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    klemming wrote:

Oh man.

Have you finished it yet?
    The last fight before the Queen really hammers it home.

I just finished it. And that is the fight where I actually realized what was going.

I finished it a minute or so ago. I'm actually moved. Videogames aren't supposed to do that.

Yeah, that's an awesome part of the game.

milk ducks wrote:
    Yeah, I was able to get to the top of the temple on my original American version by using the "jump glitch" or whatever it's called; basically, your stamina doesn't go down if you jump at a certain angle. When I moved to Australia, though, I picked up the PAL version, and found that they'd fixed the issue. The only way I was able to get to the top, then, was to just play the game over and over again, until I'd gathered up enough raw stamina to make it to the top. I think I read, at the time, that it would take 3 or 4 full playthroughs. I think I did two and a half before I stopped trying, lol.

Not sure how you're meant to get the achievement now.

Since there's a trophy for maxing out your stamina anyway, I figure I may as well do it the proper way.
    There's another for eating all the fruit in the game, including the stamina-reducing fruit in the garden, so getting all these is going to take some planning.

I honestly can't remember if I could get better stab grips on the PS2 or not. It may just be in my head.
    I had trouble with some of them (not number 3, like some people have said, but 15 took ages to let me stab him in the head), but others dropped pretty fast. Maybe the framerate affects it somehow?

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    I played against the first Colossi and won and man.. (SOTC spoilers)
    I just felt so sad. I know that's the point but damn. I never thought about how it's always Wander(you) who starts shit with these gentle creatures who are defending themselves.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I can very much recommend http://www.rose-tainted.net/ico/essays/petereliot_annotation.html - smart, astute essay on ICO, without that feeling you sometimes get that an author is trying too hard to read meaning and significance into something.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    In SOTC am I supposed to be collecting any old lizard tails or specific ones? I just got about 7 of them in a row and didn't see my stamina meter grow at all.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    harvest wrote:
    In SOTC am I supposed to be collecting any old lizard tails or specific ones? I just got about 7 of them in a row and didn't see my stamina meter grow at all.

Just the shiny ones. They are bright and sparkly.

EDIT: the tails that is, the lizards are still black.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Ok cool. I'll just chalk up this lizard farming as practice :)

B6yM5w2.gif
    If you find one of the shrines on the landscape that let you save your game, they usually have one shiny-tail lizard crawling around on them. That way you can at least get a look at what you're supposed to be looking for.

I think the achievement is for actually killing them, too.
    Since you can shoot their tails off (they get away afterwards), this is frustrating.
    The good news is if that happens, you can save and reload, and they'll be right back there, with their tails grown back. Bonus stamina!
    (If you're only hunting them to increase your stamina though, I'd say forget it. They only give you a tiny increase each time, and over multiple playthroughs, it's much faster to go around stabbing colossi)

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    klemming wrote:
    Since you can shoot their tails off (they get away afterwards), this is frustrating.
    The good news is if that happens, you can save and reload, and they'll be right back there, with their tails grown back. Bonus stamina!
    (If you're only hunting them to increase your stamina though, I'd say forget it. They only give you a tiny increase each time, and over multiple playthroughs, it's much faster to go around stabbing colossi)

I've got SotC, but I haven't played it yet, so this is my ignorance showing through:

It sounds like you can shoot their tails off, get the stamina, reload, then shoot their tails off again. Rinse, repeat, and you've got lots of extra stamina? Is this not possible?

Icemopper wrote:
    klemming wrote:

I've got SotC, but I haven't played it yet, so this is my ignorance showing through:

It sounds like you can shoot their tails off, get the stamina, reload, then shoot their tails off again. Rinse, repeat, and you've got lots of extra stamina? Is this not possible?

Possible, but sloooow.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Man, I forgot how infuriating SOTC can be. I've spent like an hour trying to get the 4th colossus to look in those goddamn tunnels, and nothing. ICO's the better game by miles.

Edit: Finally! I didn't really do anything different when it worked, it just "took."

Darlan on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote:
    Man, I forgot how infuriating SOTC can be. I've spent like an hour trying to get the 4th colossus to look in those goddamn tunnels, and nothing. ICO's the better game by miles.

Edit: Finally! I didn't really do anything different when it worked, it just "took."
    You gotta understand the colossus states.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    Took me a while to figure out the first colossus. The game neglected to inform me of being able to charge my stabs... or it did and I was too busy trying to hold on to a behemoth.

The second one took a bit longer but by then I sort of knew basically what to do. Does the game move this fast the whole way with the way you transition from kill to your next target? It seems very jarring and I always assumed the game was a giant sprawl of wandering. Still though the collosi are a frustrating but fun experience so far and I assume they're going to keep getting larger and more complex.