As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    eye-koh

LewieP on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    eye-ko? really?

I first played ICO at a youth games thingy after I learned of it's apparent greatness, and was *shocked*
    to actually find it there, on the list of games they had.

I played it for around 2 hours, until the place told me I had to go, because they were closing up, and how nobody had ever bothered to play that game for more than 5 minutes. :P

Needless to say, I was addicted, and needed the game for myself. Around a month later I was at WalMart just browsing for games as usual, and purely by chance, I glanced at a lone game on a shelf with nothing around it but trash, and price stickers. (this was a pretty dirty WalMart) Lo and Behold, I had found ICO, in the original shrinkwrap, for 10 bucks. 8-)

I love this game so much, and SotC was just as good. I'm sort of bitter now, because a friend got a 360 for Christmas, and he was getting rid of some games for his PS2. He asked if I wanted to take one off of his hands, sort of as a gift, and I chose Okami over SotC. (Because I got stuck on the 9th Battle around 2 years ago, when I rented it for the first time.) Okami is good, but it's too repetitive, and I want SotC now. :lol:

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ee-koh. It's supposed to be a pun on the Japanese word for "go", which is iku.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ik-ooooooooo

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    ee-koh. It's supposed to be a pun on the Japanese word for "go", which is iku.

This person is correct.

Anyway, has anyone completed all the time attack battles on hard? I've got about 4 left and they're insanely difficult. I might have to go to that website Zsetrek linked.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Beaten them all. The last reward you get makes the game too easy, though I guess by that point you don't need it.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've never played ICO, and wasn't a huge fan of SOTC. I really wish I could love these games everyone else loves(Read: Half life, half life 2, fallout, bioshock, more)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing about, only you and these giant lumbering creatures (and a couple of birds and a turtle!).

How did you forget about the lizards? Two type, no less.

And the fish.

And the horse!

And a dead chick.

Edited.

Aha, I have an explanation for this. I count the horse in with "You", the lizards as power-ups and therefore not alive and I don't value fish or women enough to put them in my sentence.
    Yeah, I forgot them. I'm crap.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing about, only you and these giant lumbering creatures (and a couple of birds and a turtle!).

How did you forget about the lizards? Two type, no less.

And the fish.

And the horse!

And a dead chick.

Edited.

Aha, I have an explanation for this. I count the horse in with "You", the lizards as power-ups and therefore not alive and I don't value fish or women enough to put them in my sentence.
    Yeah, I forgot them. I'm crap.
    Don't dismiss Agro! I nearly cried when he died.emosternwx8.png

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Spoiler that Spoily McRuin! That's a very good moment in the game and if someone here hasn't completed it (As folks have mentioned they haven't) it won't be a shock!

And I didn't forget him, as I said, I classed him in with "You" ;)
    Besides, he doesn't snuff it anyway in the long run

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah that is shit that you shouldn't be ruining for no man.

agro is easily the best sidekick in any game ever. Seriously, he is so far out in front that I can't even think of anything close to as good as him.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well.

That got spoiled for me.

Thanks

LewieP on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That shit is still up. Why is that shit still up?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Spoil that now

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Edited my posts on either side of the big fucking spoiler :) I'll re-edit them once it's gone. It's a tiny bit intrusive.

Anyway, as I said, I have no idea where they're going to go with the next game, I would never have guessed what they were planning for SOTC either though, so here's hoping it's something equally as awesome.

Does anyone have a link to the video mentioned somewhere above, with multiple Wanders taking down a colossus?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Edited my posts on either side of the big fucking spoiler :) I'll re-edit them once it's gone. It's a tiny bit intrusive.

Anyway, as I said, I have no idea where they're going to go with the next game, I would never have guessed what they were planning for SOTC either though, so here's hoping it's something equally as awesome.

Does anyone have a link to the video mentioned somewhere above, with multiple Wanders taking down a colossus?

It's actually multiple Icos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptNBlkwjB90

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My one complaint with the game-

Once you get on to the weakpoint the game just devolves into hold on at right time, stab at right time.
    If the colossi actually had a defense mechanism where you had to scramble around... that would be awesome.

Another almost complaint- I would have liked if the journey to the colossi had abit more traditional platforming/adventure instead of just travel. I know it is a bit against the feel of the game... but it would have been nice.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

It's actually multiple Icos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptNBlkwjB90

I'll have to check it at home, damn work connection.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mitsuhide wrote: »
    (this was a pretty dirty WalMart) Lo and Behold, I had found ICO, in the original shrinkwrap, for 10 bucks. 8-)

The wal-mart near me has had Dot Hack Outbreak on the shelf, at full price, for about 3 or 4 years now, since it was originally released. They never lowered the price, or put the sequel out on display. It's as if a single shelf behind their class display is forever frozen in time.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I've never played ICO, and wasn't a huge fan of SOTC. I really wish I could love these games everyone else loves(Read: Half life, half life 2, fallout, bioshock, more)

Personally, I thought Ico was way better than Shadow. Shadow was nice and all, kinda reminded me of Panzer Dragoon Saga, but Ico really nailed it's presentation for me.
    Another almost complaint- I would have liked if the journey to the colossi had abit more traditional platforming/adventure instead of just travel. I know it is a bit against the feel of the game... but it would have been nice.

That's one of my problems with it. Mainly, I felt like the world itself, while huge and varied, didn't really promote any exploration. There wasn't much to find outside of the little nooks that the colossi resided in. Once the magic of rounding a corner, seeing a beautiful landscape with a colossus, it sorta got kinda redundant.

Basically, I think the game would have been better if there was something to do OTHER than go after the boss. You can explore, but won't find much, and one of the big secrets that you can find is more basically getting some where you shouldn't, and then there's the Ico castle. But that's about it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There's a turtle! Did you find the turtle?!

I explored for ages, there are odd structures up about the place (only small), the beach with the turtle on and behind a waterfall.

For the beach:
    Stolen from a forum:
    I just visited the beach tonight. Beautiful landscape. It is at the far west of the map. I came in from the north through the spot where I killed colossus 10 earlier. You can also get there by having Agro jump the missing spans of the bridge to the southeast.

And there were other bits and bobs to do, you could go in search of certain trees to get the fruit to boost your health, you could go for the different-tail-coloured lizards and boost your grip, you could then climb up to the secret garden!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oops. Sorry about the spoiler everyone! D: I didn't even think about that when I posted it. Probably didn't help that I didn't look at this thread until this morning.

Anyway, I did plenty of exploring. There are lots of interesting little nooks and crannies you can find. I found a lot of the colossi battlegrounds before you were supposed to fight them.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I explored for ages, there are odd structures up about the place (only small), the beach with the turtle on and behind a waterfall.

For the beach:
    Stolen from a forum:
    I just visited the beach tonight. Beautiful landscape. It is at the far west of the map. I came in from the north through the spot where I killed colossus 10 earlier. You can also get there by having Agro jump the missing spans of the bridge to the southeast.

And there were other bits and bobs to do, you could go in search of certain trees to get the fruit to boost your health, you could go for the different-tail-coloured lizards and boost your grip, you could then climb up to the secret garden!
    That beach...
    is the same beach at the end of Ico right? Or is that just my crazed imagination?

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Diarmuid wrote: »

For the beach:
    Stolen from a forum:

That beach...
    is the same beach at the end of Ico right? Or is that just my crazed imagination?
    ENDING SPOILERS, NOT JUST BEACH-RELATED SPOILERS
    There was a ton of speculation about the connection between ICO and SotC, but most people think that it is. The working theory is that Mono and the horned kid eventually got out of the Forbidden Land somehow and rejoined the village, hiding the kid's horns somehow and passing them on. The female aspect of Dormin survived and became The Queen in ICO and built the castle in the forbidden land, and wanted to capture the horned kid to retake the male aspect or Dormin.

Or something like that. There was some really good, exceedingly thorough story analysis at the time, but I've forgotten most of it. Might still be some good stuff over on the GameFAQs forum.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

For the beach:
    Stolen from a forum:

Actually, there's an alternate route to one of the colossi that way, as well. The sand worm.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I don't think I can understand how people could get through the game without the white lizard tails or fruit. Unless you're really good, you're going to get bucked off a few of those Colossi way too often because you can't hang on.

Regarding the lizards
    Were the white tail ones always around the save temples? I usually found one or two around each one. It's quite fun climbing up those things to hunt.

I still need to explore the garden, though. How hard is that?

Gim on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I don't think I can understand how people could get through the game without the white lizard tails or fruit. Unless you're really good, you're going to get bucked off a few of those Colossi way too often because you can't hang on.

Regarding the lizards
    Were the white tail ones always around the save temples? I usually found one or two around each one. It's quite fun climbing up those things to hunt.

Have you got the PAL or NTSC version? It's much harder in PAL due to the absence of a bug.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    NTSC.

Gim on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I actually had no idea you could eat lizard tails and fruits to increase health/grip when I first beat the game (I'm stupid). Health really isn't an issue and grip regenerates quickly if you find a few seconds of rest on a colossus. I think me being ignorant actually made beating the colossi as a weak scrawny guy more fun and, dare I say, more epic as I had to not only figure out the puzzle, but implement it without being thrown to my death.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also jumping stab is your friend. If you just start the game you likely haven't noticed it, but if you jump in the air then hold R1 and triangle (I think), you put the sword between your legs and slam it down. Does a ton of damage without charging the hit.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I did a jumping stab once. I did it at a bad time.

Gim on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Regarding the lizards

Have you got the PAL or NTSC version? It's fucking impossible in PAL due to the absence of a bug.

Fixed that there.

I was another one who finished the entire game without eating a single piece of fruit or lizard. Felt foolish at what I had missed but I suppose the greater challenge made the victory all the sweeter.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I suppose I should tell the story I always tell in SOTC threads. because I'm hoping one of these times someone will say 'its alright. I understand what you went through'

DOG COLOSSUS IN THE DESERT
    okay so I got the hint from Dormin about the fire, but I couldn't get up on to the platforms with the torches. I tried and I tried but either I was bugged or my brain was retarded and I just missed it completely with stupidity. I tried to make the colossus fall of the cliff be dodging his charge (this can be done btw, he just runs back up) and I tried a million other things. eventually I realized you could stand on his back. so i lured him near to the torch pillar, jumped off the fallen column onto his back, and jumped from his back to the torch spot.

when my friend told me how you actually do it.

MOTHERFUCKER

that took me like 3 hours

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited January 2008

Regarding the lizards

Have you got the PAL or NTSC version? It's fucking impossible in PAL due to the absence of a bug.

Fixed that there.

I was another one who finished the entire game without eating a single piece of fruit or lizard. Felt foolish at what I had missed but I suppose the greater challenge made the victory all the sweeter.

I've got a PAL copy and I've done it. Then again, I am fucking awesome. :lol:

Seriously though, I got my health and stamina to their very maximum and managed to get up there in one go. I was so fucking proud of my achievement.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Regarding the lizards

Fixed that there.

I've got a PAL copy and I've done it. Then again, I am fucking awesome. :lol:

Seriously though, I got my health and stamina to their very maximum and managed to get up there in one go. I was so fucking proud of my achievement.

Yeah, me too. It really isn't that hard.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It isn't if you have high stamina. I believe in the NTSC version there's a diagonal jumping bug that saves you stamina when scaling stuff.

Also, looking at that video of Nico on youtube, and some of the cut colossi... Christ, there's enough for another game right there!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I suppose I should tell the story I always tell in SOTC threads. because I'm hoping one of these times someone will say 'its alright. I understand what you went through'

DOG COLOSSUS IN THE DESERT
    okay so I got the hint from Dormin about the fire, but I couldn't get up on to the platforms with the torches. I tried and I tried but either I was bugged or my brain was retarded and I just missed it completely with stupidity. I tried to make the colossus fall of the cliff be dodging his charge (this can be done btw, he just runs back up) and I tried a million other things. eventually I realized you could stand on his back. so i lured him near to the torch pillar, jumped off the fallen column onto his back, and jumped from his back to the torch spot.

when my friend told me how you actually do it.

MOTHERFUCKER

that took me like 3 hours

It's alright. I understand what you went through.

Seriously though, first time against that dog
    I had the right idea and tried to get up on the torches, but the fucking kid just wouldn't do it, so I assumed I had the wrong idea and proceeded to beat my head against a brick wall trying to figure out how the fuck I was supposed to kill this fucking thing. When I found out I had the right idea all along at the beginning, I was livid[/].

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I always pronounced it "eye-koh", like LewieP. Pronouncing "ICO" as "ee-koh" in England is weird. That's an American pronunciation, so even if it is based on the Japanese, it doesn't feel right to say it that way here.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I always pronounced it "eye-koh", like LewieP. Pronouncing "ICO" as "ee-koh" in England is weird. That's an American pronunciation, so even if it is based on the Japanese, it doesn't feel right to say it that way here.

What? No, it's not. And yes, I am English.

You can hear Yorda say it as "ee-koh" in the game and everything. That's how the Japanese say it, man.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »

:| You better fly over to Japan and tell the Japanese that they're pronouncing their language incorrectly then.

Anyway, apparently ICO sold around 700k (and that was before the PAL reprinting) so why do people keep on saying it bombed? Seems like it did pretty well to me, especially since I doubt it had a large budget.

Unco-ordinated on