As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    If the news is true is anyone really shocked?

There has been what, like an actual minute of gameplay shown in the past 5 years?

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    I am really fucking sad right now.

This game was going to be so good..

I can't believe it's gone.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Noooooo, why? :(

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    No.
    NO.
    This can't be true. It's impossible!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Kotaku says its not true.
    According to Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Patrick Seybold, the cancelation is not a real thing. "This is not true." It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Then again, its Kotaku.

Edit: Its not cancelled according to IGN.

C2B on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Didn't Sony deny the director leaving the company when the rumors broke?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:

He's still working freelance on the project was the last news we got, wasn't it?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    C2B wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

He's still working freelance on the project was the last news we got, wasn't it?

Allegedly.

That's what lends this story some possible credibility -- Sony could decide that they're tired of working with a guy who takes forever and a day to make modestly-selling games, one who very publicly said he's leaving the company, to boot. And there's always the possibility that certain areas of Sony know things other areas don't (and that denial came pretty darn quick).

Or this whole thing was a mistake/glitch on Gamestop's part.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    It's going to take more than a Gamestop pre-order listing to convince me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Guess they want to make Killzone 4: The Killening instead.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    C2B wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

Allegedly.

That's what lends this story some possible credibility -- Sony could decide that they're tired of working with a guy who takes forever and a day to make modestly-selling games, one who very publicly said he's leaving the company, to boot. And there's always the possibility that certain areas of Sony know things other areas don't (and that denial came pretty darn quick).

Allegedly? Fumito Ueda himself said he's still working on Last Guardian. In fact, that's all he said about it, so I've no idea what you're going on about. He didn't 'very publicly' say anything, it leaked and eventually Sony confirmed it. And 1 million+ is not 'modest', especially for a last gen game.

Anyway, come on, Gamestop of all f'n companies are the first people on the planet breaking this news? Yeah right, it's bullshit.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    C2B wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

Allegedly.

Allegedly? Fumito Ueda himself said he's still working on Last Guardian. In fact, that's all he said about it, so I've no idea what you're going on about. He didn't 'very publicly' say anything, it leaked and eventually Sony confirmed it. And 1 million+ is not 'modest', especially for a last gen game.

Anyway, come on, Gamestop of all f'n companies are the first people on the planet breaking this news? Yeah right, it's bullshit.

Except those times that Gamestop or other retailers accidentally does leak actual news. Like the existence of the Devil May Cry HD collection. Not saying this particular item is true, but it does happen.

And yeah, for a game that high-profile just one million worldwide is a little light.

Edit: Actually, I just checked for sales figures on SotC and wasn't able to come up with anything.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    So, for guys worrying, the Joystiq article Grinch linked has been updated twice, one with SCEA comment and one with GameStop comment. Pretty relevant.
    Update: You still can't pre-order The Last Guardian at Gamestop, but SCEA's Senior Director of Corporate Communications, Patrick Seybold, says reports of the game's cancellation are "not true." So, why has it disappeared from a major retailer?

Update 2: This just in from GameStop: "The Last Guardian has not been cancelled by Sony as we incorrectly stated in an automated call to reservation customers. Because the game did not have a specific release date, GameStop made the decision to remove the game from our system. The Last Guardian will be reinstated for pre-order when a firm launch date is known."

So basically they didn't want the game just sitting around in the database until there was an actual release date for it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Welp, glitch it is.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Whew. That was far too believable given how long it's taking them to make it and how little they've shown.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Except those times that Gamestop or other retailers accidentally does leak actual news. Like the existence of the Devil May Cry HD collection. Not saying this particular item is true, but it does happen.

And yeah, for a game that high-profile just one million worldwide is a little light.

Please name one high profile Japanese game Gamestop have leaked. DMC HD Collection was leaked by the ESRB by the way.

That last bit stuns me though. Shadow of the Colossus was not that high-profile and last gen, one million sales was hardly a little light. It was huge, especially for one that had a development team as small as Team Ico's (~30 when SotC shipped).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah, given we've seen absolutely nothing about this game for quite some time, I'm actually a bit conserned if it will ever release.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:

Please name one high profile Japanese game Gamestop have leaked. DMC HD Collection was leaked by the ESRB by the way.

That last bit stuns me though. Shadow of the Colossus was not that high-profile and last gen, one million sales was hardly a little light. It was huge, especially for one that had a development team as small as Team Ico's (~30 when SotC shipped).

Um, Devil May Cry HD.

http://kotaku.com/5812491/devil-may-cry-series-getting-hd-re+releases
    This year is the 10th anniversary of the Devil May Cry series, and to commemorate the occasion, it looks like Capcom will be releasing a collection of three games, all of them remastered in high definition.

Those games are Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2 and Devil May Cry 3, the collection outed not by an official Capcom announcement, but by virtue of being spotted on a Spanish retailer.

With box art and details, this indeed looks like the real thing and not some fantastical placeholder, but we're asking with Capcom just in case.

The retailer's listing says it'll be out in November, and only a PS3 version is on their site at the moment.

Granted, that's not Gamestop, but I did say "Gamestop and other retailers."

And I'm gonna need an external link for your million sales claim; I can't find any on my own.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Um, Devil May Cry HD.

This year is the 10th anniversary of the Devil May Cry series, and to commemorate the occasion, it looks like Capcom will be releasing a collection of three games, all of them remastered in high definition.

Those games are Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2 and Devil May Cry 3, the collection outed not by an official Capcom announcement, but by virtue of being spotted on a Spanish retailer.

With box art and details, this indeed looks like the real thing and not some fantastical placeholder, but we're asking with Capcom just in case.

The retailer's listing says it'll be out in November, and only a PS3 version is on their site at the moment.

And I'm gonna need an external link for your million sales claim; I can't find any on my own.

Almost all the HD Collections seem to have been revealed to retailers before the public, as almost all of them were leaked by them at first. Jak & Daxter, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, God of War Origins and DMC. But something like The Last Guardian being cancelled? When has that ever happened. You may as well believe the MGS4 360 listings that used to pop up all the time.

As for the sales, the site that originally stated it seems to be dead and trying to look for it on Google buries me underneath a mountain of HD Collection news. But I can easily find the Japanese LTD (200k) and NPD figures from its first three months (~250k). So assuming it gradually sold a bit more in the US (especially with the Greatest Hits release and being featured in an Adam Sandler movie) and factor in Europe, where Team Ico's games are FAR more popular than the other two regions (forcing SCEE to reprint both games a couple of times), and I can't see it being far from a million.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Um, Devil May Cry HD.

Almost all the HD Collections seem to have been revealed to retailers before the public, as almost all of them were leaked by them at first. Jak & Daxter, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, God of War Origins and DMC. But something like The Last Guardian being cancelled? When has that ever happened. You may as well believe the MGS4 360 listings that used to pop up all the time.

As for the sales, the site that originally stated it seems to be dead and trying to look for it on Google buries me underneath a mountain of HD Collection news. But I can easily find the Japanese LTD (200k) and NPD figures from its first three months (~250k). So assuming it gradually sold a bit more in the US (especially with the Greatest Hits release and being featured in an Adam Sandler movie) and factor in Europe, where Team Ico's games are FAR more popular than the other two regions (forcing SCEE to reprint both games a couple of times), and I can't see it being far from a million.

Yet the fact remains that, occasionally, the retailers are actual sites for news. Sure, misinformation is mixed in there a lot. And this time was a glitch. But they do sometimes know their shit.

That's still not a citation of its sales figures, though. I actually came up with some different numbers, ones that I have citations for.
    Shadow of the Colossus's commercial reception was positive, with sales of 140,000 copies in its first week at retail in Japan, reaching number one in the charts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_colossus
    12. PS2 Shadow Of The Colossus: 100k

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=411021

Granted, there were probably some sales on top of that, but there's still a very, very large gap between that and a million.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    So am I not really sad?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Yet the fact remains that, occasionally, the retailers are actual sites for news. Sure, misinformation is mixed in there a lot. And this time was a glitch. But they do sometimes know their shit.
    Sometimes. And I can't remember them ever hearing about a game being cancelled before anyone else.
    That's still not a citation of its sales figures, though. I actually came up with some different numbers, ones that I have citations for.
    Shadow of the Colossus's commercial reception was positive, with sales of 140,000 copies in its first week at retail in Japan, reaching number one in the charts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_colossus
    12. PS2 Shadow Of The Colossus: 100k

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=411021

Granted, there were probably some sales on top of that, but there's still a very, very large gap between that and a million.

I know it's not a citation, that's why I prefaced it by saying the site that I originally got it from was dead. And so what anyway? This isn't the industry thread, I've no interest in getting into an extended argument with you about this.

If you want Japanese sales figures, go check garaph, not wikipedia. Though even those are a few thousand off the ones I have, probably due to the fact that they only enter the top 20 into it each week. The exact figures in the chart I've got is 200,834 sales over 158 days with 64.48% sell through. It was also the 225th best selling PS2 game in Japan. Enough?

Those NPD figures are from December. It sold 94k in October and it doesn't appear on the November charts because they stop around 100k. So I just assumed that the usual November to December pattern happened (sales doubling, which you can see happen to a number of games on both charts) and estimated that the 2005 total was ~250k. Make sense?

Europe is a crap-shoot because we barely ever get sales info from there but what I do know is that Ico and SotC were far bigger deals there than they were in the US or Japan. Again, both Ico and SotC were reprinted a couple of times and that's not because SCEE only released a very small amount of copies (well it probably was with the first run of Ico but not SotC).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know it's not a citation, that's why I prefaced it by saying the site that I originally got it from was dead. And so what anyway? This isn't the industry thread, I've no interest in getting into an extended argument with you about this.

Yet somehow you're getting into an extended argument with me anyway. Admit it, you've missed me. :P
    If you want Japanese sales figures, go check garaph, not wikipedia. Though even those are a few thousand off the ones I have, probably due to the fact that they only enter the top 20 into it each week. The exact figures in the chart I've got is 200,834 sales over 158 days with 64.48% sell through. It was also the 225th best selling PS2 game in Japan. Enough?

Nope. Still got 800,000 to go.
    Those NPD figures are from December. It sold 94k in October and it doesn't appear on the November charts because they stop around 100k. So I just assumed that the usual November to December pattern happened (sales doubling, which you can see happen to a number of games on both charts) and estimated that the 2005 total was ~250k. Make sense?

Right. 550,000 to go.
    Europe is a crap-shoot because we barely ever get sales info from there but what I do know is that Ico and SotC were far bigger deals there than they were in the US or Japan. Again, both Ico and SotC were reprinted a couple of times and that's not because SCEE only released a very small amount of copies (well it probably was with the first run of Ico but not SotC).

Still, over half a million is a very large gap to cover, and it would be very unusual for Europe to outsell the U.S. and Japan combined.

The more likely outcome is that it sold at more or less the same proportion as the others, which would give us a total of 750,000. Not bad, but nowhere near a blockbuster either.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    Wise fwom yo gwave!

So I Finally broke down and got a PS3, and I'm playing through the Team Ico games again on it because it's been something I've wanted to do again for a while. Anyway, I remember there were some sweet custom slip covers for the game case out there, but now that I look I can't find any. I got my copy in Canada, and I guess we never got a reversible slip cover? Help would be most appreciated.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    God dammit...

I thought there was Last Guardian news...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought necroposting might get people's hopes up, but the call of awesome custom cover art was too great.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    you guuuuuuuuuuys

faking me out

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Damn it! I too was hoping for news.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Drunk_caterpillar for heartbreaker '12.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    At this point I'm just praying it's still being worked on.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Apparently the boy was originally a girl:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/18/team-icos-the-last-guardian-and-the-illusion-of-half-realism/

That's news right?

Warning, link contains sexist ramblings.

Oh and have a SOTC 8 bit picture:

tumblr_lz1h4uCK9i1qbalqlo1_500.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from the teamico.blogspot blog.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Cute.

Now where's my giant feathered kitten?

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There's also a SotC/Ico inspired track in the new Trials game, if anyone needed another reason to buy the new Trials game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Is Last Guardian still a ps3 exclusive?

• Options
    Of course.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Damnit.

Sony knows how to make you want their console.

• Options
    This, and the rumor of a Monster Hunter game, are what interested me in buying one. (Plus I made rank, so I bought myself a present)

Now there's Dragon's Dogma. But I'm super excited for Last Guardian still.

• Options
    Dyvion wrote: »
    This, and the rumor of a Monster Hunter game, are what interested me in buying one. (Plus I made rank, so I bought myself a present)

Now there's Dragon's Dogma. But I'm super excited for Last Guardian still.

Aye, I just want all the artsy games that are on PS3 and not Xbox. This, Journey, Heavy Rain, Flower, etc...

....I also want Dragon's Dogma, but that's getting an Xbox version as well.

• Options
    I bought a PS3 for Last Guardian, at launch.

I'm going to end up buying a PS4 for Last Guardian aren't I?