As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The chain is slack, leading up to something casting a huge shadow.

I guess this means the giant monsters theme is back for the next game? I was ever so slightly hoping they wouldn't, actually. SOTC was so different from ICO, so I really hoped they'd keep doing something new each time. I guess I'll just have to see.

Also, the rumors about "uncovering the mysterious relationship between Wander and Mono" made me laugh. For that to happen, it would have to take place before SOTC which is already a prequel to ICO. So every sequel is just going back further in time? I kinda like that.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think it'll be giant monster based, or at least not entirely giant monster based.

Whatever it is, I look forward to it!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wouldn't mind if they do a game that reuses ideas from previous games. These guys are creative, but I don't expect them to reinvent the wheel every damn time. I would actually love a game that blended everything I loved about both Ico and SOTC. I guess it would basically be SOTC all over again, but with puzzles and platforming in between the monster fights. I would also like to see a few colossi that feel like walking buildings. Bigger than the final colossi from the previous game. I'm talking a beast that has its own stairwells and hallways, etc.

Dirty on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know a part of me wants to see what else they can come up with in terms of something new. But another part of me is curious to see how epic a PS3 powered colossus would be.

xraydog on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, its not like they can't do both. If they can crank out 2 games in a console generation, then one can be an original idea, and the other could revisit on and improve upon a previous success. Or the other way around.

Just as long as we don't see Shadow Of The Colossus III: Legends Of Rockpeople.

Dirty on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It gives some credibility to that 'large griffin monster traveling with child through ruins' rumor. The thing on the chain could be the griffin, and the surroundings surely look ruinous. Could be a scene early from the game where you free the beast or something.

gah, those guys are such cockteases. Give us a proper announcement dammit.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like the idea of an Argo-type companion who is also a colossus. Like your homebase for the story is also your main ride.

I also like the idea of them just centering on one huge entity. Ooh, maybe telling your griffin to fight other monsters, while you precariously leap from beast to beast?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone else think that looks like the fountain/pool of water in the back of the temple in SotC?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i really should finish Ico, huh?

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that looks like the fountain/pool of water in the back of the temple in SotC?

That's the first thing I thought of when i saw it. Like they broke a hole in it and ran a chain down for some reason.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mitsuhide wrote: »

Should I?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Mitsuhide wrote: »

Should I?

Yes, yes you should.

It is great, and I would have finished it long ago but I got sidetracked by other games. :lol:

Also I accidentally skipped the first cutscene of Ico meeting the queen person, and that kept me off the game for awhile, because I have a feeling that the scene was important.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They don't even have to make a new game IMHO. They could remake ICO and SOTC and put them both on a single PS3 disc and I would buy a PS3 at whatever full price is. (Shame both ICO and SOTC look crappy -- as does DQ8 -- on an HDTV even with component.)

I am really tempted to hook my PS2 back up right now and replay both games.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SotC actually looks really good with upscaling/smoothing on the PS3 on an HDTV. Don't know about Ico as I don't own it.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't want them to announce any more information about the PS3 ICO game. I want them to announce that it has been moved to the PS2 instead. I never cared about the Team ICO games before, because I didn't know anything about them, but now that I've played SOTC I know that once this game gets released I'll want a PS3.. And I don't want a PS3.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I don't want them to announce any more information about the PS3 ICO game. I want them to announce that it has been moved to the PS2 instead. I never cared about the Team ICO games before, because I didn't know anything about them, but now that I've played SOTC I know that once this game gets released I'll want a PS3.. And I don't want a PS3.

:| Oh boy, another Team Ico game that's limited by the PS2 hardware. Yeah... no. Go buy a PS3 or stop whining.

Anyway, the teaser shot only hints at the 'griffin' rumour because it's fresh in your mind. It could be anything really.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you actually look at the picture, depth is a bit weird on it. It actually looks as though the chain is lying on the floor and not taught. My first reaction was that the chain was hanging vertically (to be climbed down).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If you actually look at the picture, depth is a bit weird on it. It actually looks as though the chain is lying on the floor and not taught. My first reaction was that the chain was hanging vertically (to be climbed down).

I think you might be right, because I'm not seeing a shadow.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys.. stop.. think. Combine all the running, jumping, swinging, puzzle solving from the previous games. Then.. add the third axis (i.e. flying on a griffin) and PS3 level graphics/capabilities. :shock:

Harakhti on
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus was so epic. I'd love to see just an HD port to the PS3. I'd probably even pay full price for that port. SotC was so awesome!

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lareden wrote: »
    Shadow of the Colossus was so epic. I'd love to see just an HD port to the PS3. I'd probably even pay full price for that port. SotC was so awesome!

Not a port, but another Shadow of the Colossus with new Colossi on the PS3 would be the breaking point for me. I want to play MGS4 and maybe FF13 (But after FF9, X and XII, I dunno). But fuck me, if Team ICO brings out another SotC I'd probably go into hock to get a PS3.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't give a fuck about FFbignum, MGS4, or Gran Turismo, but I know I'm going to end up getting a PS3 anyway eventually just because of these guys.

I just hope it's cheaper by then.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I don't give a fuck about FFbignum, MGS4, or Gran Turismo, but I know I'm going to end up getting a PS3 anyway eventually just because of these guys.

I just hope it's cheaper by then.

I can wait until the 'tiny version', or PSthree.

I hope.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Slightly more news but nothing too concrete:
    As 1UP reports, the March issue of EGM should be arriving to subscribers this week and, like in every issue, Quarterman's rumour section is packed with the latest hearsay and gossip. There's one thing in particular which should make the readers of this blog very happy:

"And speaking of other things that are not far off: the unveiling of Sony's ICO sequel."

Will it be at GDC? Maybe. One thing's for sure - February is trying its best to keep its long-standing record as the luckiest month to get Team ICO news.

EDIT: Just remembered that this week there's DICE Summit... It was at a DICE Summit that Mr. Ueda showed his NICO clip for the very first time...

Also some fake news, apparently it's not genuine but still fairly interesting:

Update: We now know that GI staff member, Andy McNamara, said on NeoGAF that they don't have any news whatsoever in their next issue. That's why we've now labelled this as fake. Those who wish to know what the fuss was all about, ready away!

---

This morning news popped up that the next issue of Game Informer would have a feature on Team ICO's upcoming game:

"While the whole world is occupied with playing the third Halo, Game Informer got the chance to get the first real news about Team ICO's next generation game for PlayStation 3. Instead of having some lukewarm chit chat we went home with material for a whole feature - this feature. After having created two completely different experiences such as ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, one could wonder where the next game would go. Fighting giants in HD? No, thanks God, Fumito Ueda - who we talked to - chose another different, unique setting.

The whole game is one gigantic, wide flat desert. Ueda described it as being like Death Valley (California), only being different in one department: it’s not really a flat area. That’s what it looks like when you’re hundreds of meters above ground. Actually, the whole area is interspersed with canyons. A lot of them, and all of different width and depth. The key of the game is, so says Ueda, to explore these canyons and find 'something'. What this 'something' is will be revealed at a later time.

Now, what is it that’ll make this game so special one might ask?

Besides the breath-taking setting of this enormous desert with canyons all over the place, the way you explore those is what makes the difference. The main character will travel by utilizing a glider, which allows him to fly through the air. It’s not some high-tech glider, but seemingly a traditional glider, made of wood and cloth. What makes this so unique is that you freely - and we cannot put enough emphasize on that - fly around that desert, dive into these canyons and jump off the glider to run around without it. From what we’ve seen there’s never before been that feeling of flying around in the sky, combined with this scale of environment. One thing that returns from both previous games is the ability to climb. While diving into canyons you’ll have to climb back to the surface, having a glider and not a motor-driven vehicle.

The information you read until now was exciting, and we should end this article with something exciting, as well. The working title of Team ICO´s third game is 'The Last Canyon.' Having seen how many canyons this game has we’re looking forward to find out more about the title's meaning."

Reports that this feature was fake started circulating almost immediately. But then IGN posted the same story...

Rumours about Team Ico's follow-up to Shadow of the Colossus have started to circulate. Supposedly titled The Last Canyon, players are tasked with searching for a mysterious object that's been hidden somewhere in a sprawling desert that provides the backdrop for the game.

According to the rumours, the team wanted to do something completely different compared to their previous games so they set it in a huge desert - much like Death Valley in California, according to the source - with massive canyons of varying sizes that you have to explore. And rather than riding a horse around the landscape a la Shadow of the Colossus, the lead character flies across the dangerous terrain in a glider made from wood and cloth.

And that, unfortunately, is all the rumours about Team Ico's new project for the time being. We'll be sure to bring you any updates as soon as they're confirmed.

We then contacted the other gaming blogs to see whether they knew anything about this. Joystiq didn't but, luckily, Kotaku did and that's how the rumour was smashed. Finally, Joystiq updated their story to reflect this last update.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds good!

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "While the whole world is occupied with playing the third Halo"

What a cockish thing to say.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

And now it looks like I said it! And you can't edit it to change it! I'll have Halo fans after my neck!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I said it! And don't you dare edit it to change it! I hate Halo fans!

LewieP on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And now it looks like I said it! And you can't edit it to change it! I'll have Halo fans after my neck!

I've PM'ed all the Halo fanboys on PA. Prepare for flames.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ARGLE BARGLE GRRRAWLLL!!! KILL INFIDEL!!!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    -dies a horrible energy sword related death-

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wait so is this truth or not?

Because that sounds absolutely spellbinding.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Apparently lies, lies and more lies. But it could be true and they're being forced to call it lies.

The way the game is described though doesn't stink of just being invented, the base idea MUST have come from somewhere, and I've heard the valley rumours before.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Slightly more news but nothing too concrete:

Will it be at GDC? Maybe. One thing's for sure - February is trying its best to keep its long-standing record as the luckiest month to get Team ICO news.

EDIT: Just remembered that this week there's DICE Summit... It was at a DICE Summit that Mr. Ueda showed his NICO clip for the very first time...

I'd just like to point out that there's no point in using the spoiler tags if you're not actually spoiling anything.

Anyway, fat chance of it being unveiled at GDC seeing as Sony doesn't even have a keynote there this year. And it's even less likely they'll announce anything at DICE. Our next real opportunity for a Team ICO announcement will probably be at Sony's next Gamers Day, which usually happens around March/April. After that it'll be a long wait until E3 in July (assuming it's not completely dead) and then TGS in September...

Oh and Grinch, how doesn't it sound fake? I mean, sure, Game Informer doesn't exactly have the best writing around, but they sure as hell aren't as bad as that. You know, it's pretty easy to read old rumours, throw a little crap on top and then try and sound legit...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Actually, I fucked up the spoiler tags, I was meant to quote the first bit and then spoiler the shitty rumour (So that a rumour didn't take up too much space). I'll fix it in a minute

Rumours generally come from somewhere, there's a basis of fact behind most of them. Perhaps it was an idea they threw around briefly and it got leaked, perhaps it was an old idea thrown out around Shadow of the Colossus time. It doesn't sound like it's completely fabricated.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope it is just a rumour, it sounds shit. What would be at the edge of this wide open, empty desert? An invisible wall? Would it be surrounded by the sea? Would it be a huge cliff all the way around? And it'd be dull as fuck traversing the desert area.

Whilst the canyon parts of the game sound better I think not having anything 'up top' would be rather boring.

Oakey on
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    in the latest EGM issue, in the rumor section, they seem to think that it's going to be a sequel to ICO and that a official announcement is coming soon.

.la1n on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Guess I better complete Ico again at some point soon. Curse me for picking up El Cheapo PS3!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oakey wrote: »
    I hope it is just a rumour, it sounds shit. What would be at the edge of this wide open, empty desert? An invisible wall? Would it be surrounded by the sea? Would it be a huge cliff all the way around? And it'd be dull as fuck traversing the desert area.

Whilst the canyon parts of the game sound better I think not having anything 'up top' would be rather boring.

What.

Seriously, that sounds rad. I'd quite happily buy a game that was a slightly more purposeful version of dicking around in SotC. I spent a fair while exploring the landscape there, even though I knew it was pointless.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg