As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resistance Fall of Man 2: More people should be talking about it (BETA)

The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
2185266011_618d9970ac_b.jpg

-Campaign focuses on Nathan Hale in the USA, 1 player only.

-Separate story based campaign supporting 2 players offline, 8 players Online co-operatively

-Online Multiplayer (dedicated servers) supporting 60 people, lobbies for individual squads, clan support, party support.

-Classes for online, Heavy, Special Ops, Medic and others. Weapon loadouts, ammo, armour etc changes.

-New vehicles including Chameleon (Stalker with cloak)

-Partial randomized geometry. Maps are much larger however are not as spread out. Focussing on choke points rather than random wandering around.

-Deep stat tracking (think Halo 3 bnet stat tracking)

I must say I am excited. the 60 player multiplayer doesnt bother me, resistance wasnt fun with 40. its the 8 player online co-op which sounds redonkulous, i hope its awesome.

how the holy fuck do insomniac churn these games out so quick. oh wait i just got it...

Source is Gameinformer. Scans wont be posted but I hear the ps3forums have them. Though I'd advise reading there and buying the magazine, posters on those boards are on a different plane of retardation.

The_Scarab on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh man I love it when games have co-op! 8 Player co-op is awesome! I didn't like the first, but hopefully this one will be better.

urahonky on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just picked up a PS3 and decided to skip the first Resistance, since there's so many other awesome FPSes out there. But I'll definitely be picking this up, and the co-op stuff makes me tingle.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    I just picked up a PS3 and decided to skip the first Resistance, since there's so many other awesome FPSes out there. But I'll definitely be picking this up, and the co-op stuff makes me tingle.

I'm so on the fence about Resistance 1. I really want it but I'm worried I won't play it as I'm now splitting my time between Warhawk, Unreal Tournament and CoD4. Oh and Burnout and Culdecept Saga will soon be eating into my gaming time too.

I guess I kinda feel like buying Resistance 1 at this point I'd be majorly late to the party, and getting in at the tale end of the game's multiplayer life.

Bamelin on
  • SlackprideSlackpride Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »

I'm so on the fence about Resistance 1. I really want it but I'm worried I won't play it as I'm now splitting my time between Warhawk, Unreal Tournament and CoD4. Oh and Burnout and Culdecept Saga will soon be eating into my gaming time too.

I guess I kinda feel like buying Resistance 1 at this point I'd be majorly late to the party, and getting in at the tale end of the game's multiplayer life.

Ya know, it's a fun game and the single player (in my opinion) is quite worth the play through. It's got some really cool bits and the story is cool to boot. People are still playing it online fairly often too, even for a game that's more than a year old. I think all the new PS3 owners are only just getting into the games since I've seen an influx of newbs in both Warhawk and Motorstorm (for obvious reasons).

I dunno, just get it when the price drops.

Slackpride on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I gotta say that Resistance was one of my favorite FPS experiences, and I've played a LOT of them.
    Great story, cool weapons, smart enemies, and very good pacing. Long as hell, too. It felt 'smart' (maybe it was just the accent of the narrator) but the story was very compelling for me.

Do not pass on the game because it is old and because you are playing COD4 - VERY different game. 100% worthwhile to play.

Plus you'll be ready for Resistance 2 when it comes (story-wise).

robcat09 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    robcat09 wrote: »
    I gotta say that Resistance was one of my favorite FPS experiences, and I've played a LOT of them.
    Great story, cool weapons, smart enemies, and very good pacing. Long as hell, too. It felt 'smart' (maybe it was just the accent of the narrator) but the story was very compelling for me.

Do not pass on the game because it is old and because you are playing COD4 - VERY different game. 100% worthwhile to play.

Plus you'll be ready for Resistance 2 when it comes (story-wise).

I'll have to say the exact opposite. :) If you can pick it up cheap, go for it... Otherwise the FPS games out now blow this one out of the water. Here's hopin' 2 is on par with Bioshock/Halo/CoD4.

urahonky on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Insomniac is one of my favourite developers. They really are.

SirUltimos on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This isn't a dig on Resistance 2, but all console co-op FPS's lately. Why oh why won't you just put in four player splitscreen co-op? Don't give me that framerate malarky, as most of these same games will allow four player deathmatch on the same system.

I guess it is just a ploy to sell more games and more systems.

Anyways, I like it when developers go big in the face of adversity. Look what CoD4 and the Orange Box did to Halo 3, now let's see if R2 can do the same to the last crop.

I'll give this a shot even though I didn't really rike Resistance that much as I do really appreciate grand jestures and pushing the limits.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xeno, 4 player co-op is a bastard to design for. Plus there's not a lot of demand for it; people here want it because people here are hardcore. The general public doesn't care much so it's rarely worth the time investment.

I'm super excited for R2. Super excited. I'll finally need to buy a PS3.

zilo on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    a single-player environment is a tad more system intensive than a multiplayer environment.

Namely in that less system resources are going to be used on AI, scripted events and in a lot of cases, graphical resources.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, 8 player co-op? The levels must be huge.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one, I didn't enjoy the first one so much but I have high expectations of this.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll ask the same question I always do. Please forgive me for being compulsive:

Is it mouse and keyboard enabled?

Thanks.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    a single-player environment is a tad more system intensive than a multiplayer environment.

Namely in that less system resources are going to be used on AI, scripted events and in a lot of cases, graphical resources.

Sounds like an excuse for a game that can handle 60 player multiplayer.

Anyways, still irks me. Then again, I actually have physical friends who actually enjoy playing on one screen.

Right now we are "living the dream" with Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles.

A bar with four tv's and four Gamecubes, each with a Gameboy Player, connected to a Wii, connected to a projector.

Yes, this amount of hardware invalidates my entire point about playing on one screen, even though we technically are playing on one screen.

We also played a warmup game of Perfect Dark on the projector, and it was fantastic.

Question for other so called experts of the genre: Has there ever been a 4 player splitscreen co-op FPS? I'm really curious now.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, Perfect Dark had 4 player splitscreen co-op challenges. I don't think you could play through the story but the challenges were plenty of game for me.

I'm the most psyched about this 8 player online campaign. Divorcing co-op from the single player campaign is ballsy and super awesome.

zilo on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    chamberlain on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    gicoverfeb08.jpg

This cover gives me a boner.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited January 2008
    ITT: eveyone and everything always has their mouths open and is screaming.

chamberlain on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How the hell do they make games so fast? I'm going to take a guess and say they borrowed a lot of the code from the original, but that still seems really fast, especially for two goddamn campaigns.

MiserableMirth on
    edited January 2008

Let me send a pack of mutants after you along with making everything around you explode. Screaming is a natural effect of such a pleasant enviroment.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How the hell do they make games so fast? I'm going to take a guess and say they borrowed a lot of the code from the original, but that still seems really fast, especially for two goddamn campaigns.
    Well they do have a separate team working on it. I imagine work began on it as soon as the first was released. Doesn't seem like an impossible feat.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2008
    Man the PS3's year of software just improved even more. Insomniac may become my new favorite developer, and that is a hotly contested title with Square Enix and Valve already there.

MistaCreepy on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Let me send a pack of mutants after you along with making everything around you explode. Screaming is a natural effect of such a pleasant enviroment.

He's not screaming in terror. Nathan looks retarded on that cover in my opinion.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm crying tears of joy.
    Resistance looked incredible, I just expected more of the same..... but 8 player co-op!? I love you Insomniac.

Big Classy on
    edited January 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

He's not screaming in terror. Nathan looks retarded on that cover in my opinion.

Adrenaline can make you scream too. And those eyes also boost the screaming chances, he's pbviously more than human.

Long story short... I think the cover looks baddass.

MistaCreepy on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I never actually played the offline campaign of R1 but really enjoyed kicking ass on MP, even though sometimes I would be absolutely trounced inexplicably. I heard rumblings of people able to lag the server and give themselves an incredible edge. Also if you started being shot, you might as well give up because you'll never turn around in time to get the person doing it.

What me and my friend did miss however is online co-op as this was the only way I'd bother tackling the SP campaign. 8 player online co-op? I mean thats built for Game On's.

DarkWarrior on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=31430&page=4

Screens on that page. My god do they look amazing. I'm so glad I bought a ps3 two weeks ago. I was hesitant, but just...wow, those screens almost make me cry.

Crayon on
    edited January 2008
    BTW I really liked the online and Single Player of resistance 1 so... yeah I'm totally stoked.

MistaCreepy on
  • JayrodTremonkiJayrodTremonki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow...I was a big fan of the first Resistance, thought it did a lot of things right. #1 being networking. I played dozens of hours between getting even half-second lag spikes. Playing 8 player matches, 16, and 30, not a lick of noticeable lag. Back when Gears was the "in game" this was completely amazing to me that with actual dedicated servers you could achieve 30 people in a game, leaving at will, and have absolutely no lag. I have absolutely no doubt that they'll be able to achieve 60 with no lag, as long as they leave vehicles out again.

Also, one of the best paced single player campaigns I've played in a very long time(with the exception of Uncharted)

JayrodTremonki on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess they're called Insomniac for a reason.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2008
    This has apparently exploded on GAF... wheres the love here?

MistaCreepy on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This has apparently exploded on GAF... wheres the love here?

The regulars here are pretty tepid on the PS3, obviously, but GAF is full of wankerous pent-up fanboys who fill page after page with Internet meme at a handful of screenshots.

FWIW, I think the online features of R2 are staggering -- online co-op is possibly my favorite regular feature this gen -- but I really don't think the scans are worth the hype. It looks awesome, don't get me wrong, but not really far beyond what we've seen from other games to date. They're just scans, but still, I've long moved past the stage where a still image is all it takes to get me excited about a game.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Why don't they stop making fps's for the ps3 and put it on the PC where an FPS belongs.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Adrenaline can make you scream too. And those eyes also boost the screaming chances, he's pbviously more than human.

Long story short... I think the cover looks baddass.

In R:FoM 1, he got bit by radioactive spiders, so yeah, he is. Although the coloring is different.

As for his screaming, maybe we just caught him mid-yawn, waiting for Home to come out.

MichaelLC on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The features look really nice, but none of the info I have seen so far says much about how the co-op will play in comparison to the single player campaign, in what ways the AI is improved, etc. The actual article might explain this stuff, but it is hard to get excited about something when there isn't much information on it. The screenshots don't really tell much about the game other than that the look of the game will mostly stay the same.

I bet that you will see the Statue of Liberty at some point.
    Well they do have a separate team working on it. I imagine work began on it as soon as the first was released. Doesn't seem like an impossible feat.
    The planning could have began before the first game was released. It has happened before.

Couscous on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Why don't they stop making fps's for the ps3 and put it on the PC where an FPS belongs.

:roll:

Couscous on
    edited January 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Well, if Crysis has taught us anything, because not enough people buy them on that format.

I really enjoyed Resistance. The only possible down side to this is having to wait until 2009 for a Ratchet and Clank follow up.

chamberlain on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, looks to be freaking amazing. I got Resistance for christmas, but haven't played it yet, but now I can't wait. Jesus 8 player co-op? Freaking awesome.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Like Darkwarrior said this game was made for Game-On threads. Jeez, adding this to an already stacked 2008 lineup to the PS3... best year of releases ever confirmed?

EDIT: This could also really enhance the already impressive sales numbers for Resistance 1.

MistaCreepy on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

From what I gather, they have a small team working on their secondary project while the rest of the studio works on their primary project and then when it's released, the secondary becomes the primary and a small team starts work on a new secondary project. So during R&C:ToD's development, a small team worked on Resistance 2 and then when R&C:ToD's development wrapped up, nearly everyone was moved onto Resistance 2's development while a small team started work on Insomniac's next project (probably a new R&C game). This is the seventh consecutive year that they'll be releasing a game, which is insane.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned that the co-op campaign may be a little trivial (as in, the important shit will happen in the single player campaign, while the co-op will just be an afterthought) but otherwise, it sounds fucking amazing.

Btw, what's with the Resistance hate that seems to have been in this thread? It was a really good game, especially for a launch title. It's still boasts the most comprehensive online mode on the PS3.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited January 2008
    If everything that is promised is delivered, then this will be GOTY no doubt and Im not saying this as a PS3 fan, Im saying it a PC FPS fan... seriously, a feature set like this on a console is unheard of.

And this is insomniac we're talking about which is why I believe they can deliver on these promises.

MistaCreepy on
This discussion has been closed.