As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sexism in recreation?

MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Greetings. This is a thread about sexism in recreation.

I noticed in the "Convicted by Facebook" thread the word womyn, which reminded me of my university days where half of my uni's recreation area was redefined as a womyn's area, and then half of the remaining space was allocated to the gay and lesbian sector of the population.

A few of us applied for a guys area, but was rejected on the grounds that it would be sexist to have a male only area.

More recently, mens clubs here in Australia have been getting sued over thier denial of entry of females to thier ranks. However female only gyms are florishing.

So what are things like in the US? Am I crazy or is thier a reverse sexism against men occuring in recreational environs?

MrIamMe on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are men's clubs getting sued actually losing in the courts though?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

I was kind of hoping you'd cite an article.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Can you elaborate on what facilities encompass a "recreation area?"

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MrIamMe wrote: »

I noticed in the "Convicted by Facebook" thread the word womyn, which reminded me of my university days where half of my uni's recreation area was redefined as a womyn's area, and then half of the remaining space was allocated to the gay and lesbian sector of the population.

A few of us applied for a guys area, but was rejected on the grounds that it would be sexist to have a male only area.

More recently, mens clubs here in Australia have been getting sued over thier denial of entry of females to thier ranks. However female only gyms are florishing.

So what are things like in the US? Am I crazy or is thier a reverse sexism against men occuring in recreational environs?

There's no such thing as "reverse" sexism. It's just sexism.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

Man plenty of country clubs have been forced to allow women to join. The general rule is, if allowing the opposite gender to join is not somehow antithetical to the purpose of the club or organization, then you have to let them in.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

Man plenty of country clubs have been forced to allow women to join. The general rule is, if allowing the opposite gender to join is not somehow antithetical to the purpose of the club or organization, then you have to let them in.

There's a huge difference between country club and gym.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Yes.

^ This.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Err, why did you apply for a guys' area? Are you some kind of collective of raving douches? I honestly can see no reason for why you would do that, EXCEPT to make a petulant, and immature point.

Everywhere is a guy's area, or a straight area. Which is rather the point of the women's area or GLBT area initiatives.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Err, why did you apply for a guys' area? Are you some kind of collective of raving douches? I honestly can see no reason for why you would do that, EXCEPT to make a petulant, and immature point.

Everywhere is a guy's area, or a straight area. Which is rather the point of the women's area or GLBT area initiatives.

Except in this case, where (supposedly) only one quarter was in fact the guy's area.

Although they can't really keep them out of the gay area, I guess.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Adrien wrote: »

Except in this case, where (supposedly) only one quarter was in fact the guy's area.

Although they can't really keep them out of the gay area, I guess.

Fine, everywhere else then.

The only sensible critique I can think of is if the demand for the open area was vastly greater than the GLBT and Women's area and thus the size of teh areas did not accurately relfect the demographics.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

How so? hypothetically speaking lets say some women aren't comfortable in a unisex gym so they can't..i don't know, exercise as well? or something with men in the room. So lets also hypothetically say some men can't unwind as much if there are women in the room. Both institutions serve a purpose, neither are a necessity. (and before you go arguing that exercise is a necessity, sure, it is but doing it in a gym is not, and it could equally be argued that recreation is a necessity)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The only sensible critique I can think of is if the demand for the open area was vastly greater than the GLBT and Women's area and thus the size of teh areas did not accurately relfect the demographics.
    Technically, until he tells us what facilities a 'recreation area' encompasses there isn't necessarily any implicit need for a women's/LGBT area either. If a 'recreation area' was just open space and access to recreational supplies, then any argument posited would hold for any demographic. There needs to be issues special to one demographic before there can be legitimate cause for their needing special treatment.

EDIT: Or, the distinguishing features of the demographics themselves need to be the problematic factor; but then, you are not creating separate recreational areas, you are segregating men and women for safety concerns or whatever and you are creating a Men's Area and a Women's Area at the same point so the OP's post wouldn't hold water.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The answer is: yes, it is discriminatory to allow X, Y, and Z group to have a private area and not group Q. It doesn't matter who is represented by X, Y, Z, or Q because that is the nature of discrimination.

But when you go beyond the definition of discrimination and sexism and look at this in context, I have to agree with Apothe0sis that there really is no good reason for a designated "guys" area in recreational areas.

Next, how are you supposed to meet chicks if you just go off to your segregated guys area?

And last, I think Oboro's got the best point: why bother segregating at all? Still, the fact that one group feels the need for a private area does not necessitate that all groups be equally represented. That literally WOULD be segregation, no?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

How so? hypothetically speaking lets say some women aren't comfortable in a unisex gym so they can't..i don't know, exercise as well? or something with men in the room. So lets also hypothetically say some men can't unwind as much if there are women in the room. Both institutions serve a purpose, neither are a necessity. (and before you go arguing that exercise is a necessity, sure, it is but doing it in a gym is not, and it could equally be argued that recreation is a necessity)

People get oggled less in golfing attire than when working out.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    None of you have cited a case yet.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Why would I cite a case? I didn't make the thread O_o
    edit: and mai-kero, i'll admit you make a valid point with the golfing attire, but someone could wear baggy sweatpants and a t-shirt whilst working out, and while unlikely it is possible for someone to be "oggled" in golf attire, so I really don't think it should matter all that much on the legality side of things.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

EDIT: Quid beat me to it. Seriously, can we see some proof besides a page long rant about "what if" statements?

Satan. on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    edit: and mai-kero, i'll admit you make a valid point with the golfing attire, but someone could wear baggy sweatpants and a t-shirt whilst working out, and while unlikely it is possible for someone to be "oggled" in golf attire, so I really don't think it should matter all that much on the legality side of things.
    You're arguing the point, so no matter what your view is evidence to support your argument is expected. It could be a different interpretation of someone else's source but you should still cite something seeing as nothing else has been cited.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Would you argue that people shouldn't whine about all changing rooms being unisex?

Most gym attire is pretty revealing, and considering the nature of the facility, I can understand why people of both sexes would want to be kept away from prying eyes.

A country club is nothing at all like a gym. Goddamn, it's a fucking restaurant, bar, and golf course. The only reason the southern old guys wanted women out was so they wouldn't compete with them in golf. Also because they're from the south and hate the idea that anyone would have the same rights as rich white guys.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You're arguing the point, so no matter what your view is evidence to support your argument is expected. It could be a different interpretation of someone else's source but you should still cite something seeing as nothing else has been cited.
    Notice how all my posts in this thread are littered with "hyopthetically"s and "theoretically"s? not once did I state this actually happened..but the mere fact that so many other people in the thread are arguing saying its fine if it did indeed happen seems to render the point of it actually having happened moot anyway

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Notice how all my posts in this thread are littered with "hyopthetically"s and "theoretically"s? not once did I state this actually happened..but the mere fact that so many other people in the thread are arguing saying its fine if it did indeed happen seems to render the point of it actually having happened moot anyway
    The point is it's a detailed topic with a number of perturbations and contextually relevant factors, so trying to talk about it generally is nigh on impossible.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Would you argue that people shouldn't whine about all changing rooms being unisex?

Most gym attire is pretty revealing, and considering the nature of the facility, I can understand why people of both sexes would want to be kept away from prying eyes.
    We have no idea what a 'recreation area' re: the OP is, and gym attire is not necessarily revealing; it can be more or less revealing than natural attire, and the activities one participates in may be more or less likely to draw unwanted attention than natural activity. Really, without more specific information in both the OP and the hypotheticals, we're just wading through bullshit as grey as a mule in the shade.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited January 2008

A country club is nothing at all like a gym. Goddamn, it's a fucking restaurant, bar, and golf course. The only reason the southern old guys wanted women out was so they wouldn't compete with them in golf. Also because they're from the south and hate the idea that anyone would have the same rights as rich white guys.
    First off, my argument was never that everything should be unisex, my argument was that it makes no sense to arbitrarily pick non-essential businesses/clubs/whatever and say they can be male/female only, and then say others can't. Making a gym female only because the members choose to wear revealing attire doesn't make sense. Not all country clubs have dress codes, people could wear revealing attire to them to if they wanted to. All your arguments have proven is that you think country clubs are horrible (which i don't disagree with)

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    We have no idea what a 'recreation area' re: the OP is, and gym attire is not necessarily revealing; it can be more or less revealing than natural attire, and the activities one participates in may be more or less likely to draw unwanted attention than natural activity. Really, without more specific information in both the OP and the hypotheticals, we're just wading through bullshit as grey as a mule in the shade.

Agreed. OPer, please enlighten us.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

Well no, that's not the issue. The thing with country clubs and the like is that they're massive networking hubs for the professional classes, and if you're a professional woman trying to get ahead you're de facto excluded from what is a huuuuuge part of being a success - Meeting People Who Matter. Lol SystemicSexism etc.

I'm not a fan of women's gyms, but IAmMe, are you aware that Fernwood, the biggest (and as far as I'm aware, only major) women's health club chain in Aus is actually owned and operated by fundamentalist christians? You're probably looking in the wrong place if you want to label them sexist, because they have no interest in being gender-equal. Fundies really believe quite strongly in separate spaces for the genders in public and private, and most of them don't even pay lip service to the notion of 'seperate-but-equal'.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also this stuff about revealing attire is fucking retarded. Here's a counterexample: in the Guardian's archives some time in the last few months, you'll find an article written by a female muslim lawyer describing how she was loudly harassed and derided by some fat old white prick because she was wearing one of those muslim-friendly swimsuits while doing laps. Its not about clothing. Some gyms contain a culture that can be very hostile to non-straight-males. I can think of 2 examples - a gym in the Hasidic quarter of New York, who's female patrons were harassed by the local jewish fundie men and boys despite a) not subscribing to their faith and b) being inside the damn gym (big windows were apparently just too much for the locals), and my co-worker's wife's experience in gyms on the Gold Coast - not a nice scene to be a mildly attractive thirtysomething, by all accounts.

My gym's pretty good - I don't get ogled much (but then, I'm a long way from hot especially when working out :P) and its a friendly atmosphere, but not everywhere is like that... I can understand people who want their own space.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Those situations do not really parallel that of the OP, which is more an issue of a public (rather than private) facility's obligation to create these separate facilities. I can also understand the desire, and I can understand that businesses exist to satisfy it. Your response is appreciated but slightly, "Okay, so?"

The question at hand, however, is whether it is also the prerogative of the college to address these queasies ... possibly. We really have no information from the OP so it's hard to say. :|

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Until someone cites an article or other hard information, I'm going to assume that "recreation area" actually means "sex salon," and that there must be all sorts of lesibanism going on in that women's only area.

I'm perfectly happy to maintain this delusion, so don't feel obligated to provide any evidence.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Those situations do not really parallel that of the OP, which is more an issue of a public (rather than private) facility's obligation to create these separate facilities. I can also understand the desire, and I can understand that businesses exist to satisfy it. Your response is appreciated but slightly, "Okay, so?"
    Well... yeah. Customers ask for stuff, businesses who want money provide stuff. They don't really care so much about modern sensibilities so much as profit maximisation, and you can make a lot more money by catering to these sorts of desires than denying them. We can argue about whether customers having those desires in the first place is okay if you want, but I have a hard time sticking it to private business in most cases, apart from the aforementioned boys' clubs - and that's only because they're so closely intertwined with public life and people's careers. I can't really make the jump from there to spin class.
    The question at hand, however, is whether it is also the prerogative of the college to address these queasies ... possibly. We really have no information from the OP so it's hard to say. :|
    Tricky question. I tend to think unis are one of those places where you can experiment with this sort of stuff, but the funding situation is quite different here as opposed to US colleges.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Frankly anything which makes sexists/racists/bigots uncomfortable is a-ok by me.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Irony. lol

But yeah, Sexism doesn't seem to be a huge issue in the US these days. I think there may have been something along those lines in our history, but it's come and gone for the most part. Sexism is hardly a thing of the past in any country, but it's a lot harder to notice nowadays, with so many lawsuits going around. All of the issues you hear about today are about sexual orientation and race. Gender related things seem less prevalent now.

I honestly don't remember the last time I heard anything about sexism in the news, but you wouldn't believe how long Mel Gibson was put through the ringer, when he ranted about jews after getting caught drunk driving.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited January 2008
    ahahahhaa

sweetie, if you haven't heard anything, then there's nooooo way you're even looking. Yeah, things are better than 1973, but come on.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Next, how are you supposed to meet chicks if you just go off to your segregated guys area?

That's the whole fucking point, for women. Look what you've just assumed - that mixed-areas are okay places to meet 'chicks'. You don't even seem aware of how derogatory sounding this is - which just serves to highlight why women-only places still have reason to exist!

I can only hope this comment was an attempt at humour and my sarcasm meter is deficient.

No need to speak hypothetically - many women are uncomfortable in a unisex gym.

I wear loose fitting t-shirts (although I own a couple of tight-fitting running tops - but guess what I prefer?) but these aren't actually the most practical items of clothing to wear. Few women wear tight fitting clothes around the gym to show off their assets - but it's funny how it's seen as their fault 'and they can choose to wear loose fitting clothing if they want to!'

Okay, there may be the odd exception where a woman dresses skimpily in a gym solely to get a buzz from all the stares sent her way. But anecdotally speaking, mixed gyms become a problem because it is almost solely men doing the ogling (there are two gym instructors on the SA forums who could give you accounts of this - and of the creepy old guys who come into the gym just for that purpose!). (Also, men dominate the free weights area and the women never get a chance to use them - but that's another issue :P)
    Until someone cites an article or other hard information, I'm going to assume that "recreation area" actually means "sex salon," and that there must be all sorts of lesibanism going on in that women's only area.

I'm perfectly happy to maintain this delusion, so don't feel obligated to provide any evidence.

Seriously, do any of you actually think before posting? This is yet another example why, geez, women require a little space.

Look, I'm all for equality, but this thread is just proving why that isn't happening yet.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Women feel uncomfortable; I feel uncomfortable in that same situation around men, though my reasons are slightly different. Businesses, as Cat said, will rise and fall to meet my able-dollared demand but what stance do universities take when these concerns come to the surface?

In my opinion, it's a slippery slope. If "women require a little space" for the reasons you mentioned, so long as it remains subjective feelings and no harassment or otherwise is taking place, it remains purely subjective. In that universe, the men, the women, and any other demographic imaginable have equal claim to "XYZ-only" space. You need to show demonstrable special concern -- all that your stance otherwise shows, Janson, is the (I wish it were) 'outmoded' idea that men will be pigs and women will suffer for it. You can't work along that assumption until it becomes a reality; it's a logical fallacy otherwise. You're making a generalization and generating special treatment from it.

I understand that, given past evidence, were there any demographic which deserved a private sector in an otherwise unisex gym, it would be the women; really though, if that private space exists at all it seems as if it would make more sense to just block it out on a first-come first-serve basis as private or semi-private space, or rotate it. People are entitled to their feelings -- there may (and probably does) exist a demographic of self-conscious men that would prefer to exercise away from women, and with like-minded people solely intent on exercising if not exercising by their lonesome. All of these demands should be met, and cycling or 'renting out' (for free) this malleable space seems the most flexible way of doing so -- otherwise, some demographic will always be left wanting and be logically valid in doing so because honoring anyone does just that ... and meanwhile, the space remains finite.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

That's the whole fucking point, for women. Look what you've just assumed - that mixed-areas are okay places to meet 'chicks'. You don't even seem aware of how derogatory sounding this is - which just serves to highlight why women-only places still have reason to exist!
    Yeah, I was going to be polite, but fucking hell. We're not there to be picked up, you jackass. I'm starting to think that women's spaces exist solely because so many men have no fucking clue when its appropriate to try sex/relationship stuff. Here's a clue for you: not at work, not at the gym, not at a business meeting, not at a funeral, etc etc this should not be a difficult concept!! And no, none of us give half a shit whether it makes it harder for poor widdle you to get some companionship. The rest of us seem to manage just fine, you know?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    To chip in with Obo, I am definitely in the category that generally don't like anyone watching me while I'm working out, because it's generally the time I feel I'm mostly likely to look my worst.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Some of that is just a personality quirk, though. For serious, almost no-one is actually looking unless you're in a place frequented by skeezies, and they're certainly not remembering you more than 15 seconds later. At best, I have vague memories of people using terrible form on exercises, because it bothered me that they were clearly going to hurt themselves. The only person I've even come close to perving on was a trainer, and I think we all agree they're fair game, right fellas? *nudge nudge*

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, come on. I thought the sarcasm in Drez' statement was obvious.

Men get up in arms over these "women only spaces" because the need for women-only and LGBT-only spaces implies that those groups have reason to be sacred of straight, white men. And although I understand the reasons for it and I don't mind those spaces existing, it shouldn't be too much of a fucking empathetic leap to see dudes being offended by the fact that we're all assumed sexual predators.

This besides the fact that on college campuses (as mentioned in the OP), it's often scarce resources (like student group office space, for example) that are being offered to these straight-male-excluding groups.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    but you see

they do

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg