Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Importing large images from Photoshop into Adobe Premiere

bentbent Registered User
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, basically for a University project I'm creating a movie in Premiere which consists of a series of still images: my problem is that when I'm importing large (3008*2000) images Premiere seems determined to only show a zoomed in portion of the image, rather than scaling it to fit in the pre-existing area.

Basically it would be amazing if someone could tell me how to:

*scale the images down to fit within the desired area

or

*change the resolution of the movie in it's entirity to 3008*2000

Thanks for any advice.

bent on
sig1.png

• flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User
    edited January 2008
    why are you importing print res graphics into a video project? you don;t want to scale the graphics in premiere as you will have massive artifacting, and you REALLY don't want to make the movie 3008x2000. thats almost 1.5x the size of 1080i hdtv. resize the graphics in photoshop, then import them into the movie. or use aftereffects. this will give you the best quality and not kill your machine as it tries to output a huge movie file.

if you are bound and determined to resize within the video project, zoom out until you see the handles of the graphic. click with the black arrow, hold shift (to constrain the aspect ratio) and drag to the desired size.

if you enjoy torturing your machine with gigantic video, you cannot alter the size of the project once you start it. you need to start another project,. when the new project screen comes up, you need to hit the 'custom settings' tab, 'editing mode' set to 'desktop', and then put in your custom size. remember, this will probably be a bad idea. either resize the graphic on the stage using method one above, or resize the graphics first, then import them.

• bentbent Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Thanks a lot, as you can probably tell I'm somewhat inept with premiere. I'm using 1080i settings now rather than 3008*2000, basically because my project is going to be judged on the smoothness of my stitched together photographs.

Just in case you're interested my project is to 'depict an alien invasion' through a narrative of still images, set to music and SFX, basically I'm planning one huge montage of scrolling landscapes.

sig1.png
  • RaereRaere Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Can't you just resize them in Photoshop first? It'll look the same, you're just resizing before you import it. Resize to exactly the size of the video you're encoding for best results.

In Premiere Pro 1.5, it's difficult to resize such a big picture, you'd have to drag the image in the monitor to the very edge and use the borders to shrink it.

The help file says:

"For best results, create files with a frame size at least as large as the frame size of the project, so that you don't have to scale up the image in Adobe Premiere Pro. Scaling an image larger than its original size can cause loss of sharpness. If you plan to scale up an image, prepare it at a larger frame size than the project. For example, if you plan to scale up an image 200% in a project, prepare the image at double the project frame size before you import it."

Raere.png