As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need me some hack & slash!

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Ok guys. I've been playing Kingdom Under Fire : Circle of Doom (Thread HERE) And I need me some more hack & slash action. To get started:
I have the following systems:
PS3 (60 gig, fully backwards compatible)
Xbox 360
Wii
PSP
DS
I have in the hack & slash genre
Champions of Norrath 1 and 2.
KuF:COD
Untold legends (PSP)
X-men Alliance
Marvel: UA
I don't PC game, so please, don't come into this thread and say Diablo (1 OR 2). I've also played Baldur's Gate, and was wondering if there's any others available for consoles.

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    play LoZ:TP... you get waggle all your rage out!

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »
    play LoZ:TP... you get waggle all your rage out!

Was just going to suggest that.

Do wii sports with your friends. Yeah, that game gets bloody when you're playing with alot of people.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm not quite sure if you get what I want, let me try to be clearer. I'm looking for a hack and slash Action RPG. LoZ:TP doesn't really have the customization options nor the different classes that I'm really desiring.

Varega on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's actually an interesting question: are there any good hack & slash games for the DS?

Dartboy on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some incarnation of Phantasy Star Online?

august on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hunt down the Baldur's Gate Alliance games. They're X-Box and I believe both 360 compatible.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Warriors of the Lost Empire. Its pure Hack and Slash set in Roman times and is for the PSP, kinda plays like God of War depending on the character you pick.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Beowulf for the 360. Also conan. Beowulf is an easy buy tho, $20 for a decent hack and slash movie knockoff. Don't go in expecting much more than that.

Conan I enjoyed for the sheer number of button combos hack and slash. But I haven't actually bought it yet, only rented as I can't quite justify full price on that one.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    That's actually an interesting question: are there any good hack & slash games for the DS?

Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles:Ring of Fate or what have you. Pretty damn fun. Not out in the western world just yet.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hunt down the Baldur's Gate Alliance games. They're X-Box and I believe both 360 compatible.

also on ps2 so you can play on ps3 if necessary. these are must play imo if you are into this genre.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am surprised this hasn't come up yet:

ps2_dynasty_warriors_5_empires.jpg

Though personally I prefer Samurai Warriors

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Samurai Warrors 2, or Dynasty Warriors: Gundam are two good mindless hack n' slashers for the 360.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Conan should have seen a price drop everywhere to $40 so I would second that recommendation. Its not the greatest game ever but the sheer amount bloody carnage possible is hella fun.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks alot guys, Warriors of the Lost Empires caught my fancy, along with Beowulf and Conan.
    Keep em coming!

Varega on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chronicles of Narnia is a very mediocre hack and slash rpg for the DS with a terrible framerate. But at least there is one.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    Ok guys. I've been playing Kingdom Under Fire : Circle of Doom (Thread HERE) And I need me some more hack & slash action. To get started:
    I have the following systems:
    PS3 (60 gig, fully backwards compatible)
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PSP
    DS
    I have in the hack & slash genre
    Champions of Norrath 1 and 2.
    KuF:COD
    Untold legends (PSP)
    X-men Alliance
    Marvel: UA
    I don't PC game, so please, don't come into this thread and say Diablo (1 OR 2). I've also played Baldur's Gate, and was wondering if there's any others available for consoles.

Arkadian Warriors is a newish 360 live arcade title. The demo seemed a bit simplistic and may not fill your needs, but it's definately mindless hack and slash. if nothing else grab the demo and check it out.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    buy No More Heroes when it comes out in a couple weeks

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a soft spot in my heart for the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game. If you're not opposed to last gen titles, The Bard's Tale has some genuinely funny writing to go along with the hack n slash goodness.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just rented Dynasty Warriors 5 for 360. Its pretty simple, but pure hack n' slash.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I always felt like a game such as baldur's gate: dark alliance was far different from something like dynasty warrior, but I know it's not really enough to classify it as a different genre. I love the former and didn't like the latter, but I guess that's as far as the differences go :D.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gauntlet Legends.

I guess there's a distinction to be made between different kinds of hack'n'slash - there's the dungeon crawler type, which fits Dark Alliance and Gauntlet Legends, and there's also the action type, which is more in the vein of Dynasty Warriors or Devil May Cry.

Then again, I really haven't played many of these for any amount of time, so I could be way off.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Despite a lack of classes and heavy character customization (there is a very minor amount), God of War is perfect if you want to hack people to pieces (literally). It doesn't feel nearly as hokey as Dynasty Warriors and the dozens of mediocre clones it has spawned, but still allows you to rip apart countless enemies (and innocents). It follows a similar design concept as Blizzard's games: it doesn't have to be innovative, it just has to be really polished.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    there is an untold legends for ps3

I don't know if it's any good though

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shining Soul 1/2 (gba) is pretty alright. I recommend the second one for more variety.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    august wrote: »

There is only one incarnation of Phantasy Star online, on the Dreamcast. There are no other versions and if you think there are you are a heathen.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

There is only one incarnation of Phantasy Star online, on the Dreamcast. There are no other versions and if you think there are you are a heathen.

Hey man, some of us never got to play it on the Dreamcast (I broke mine by playing Tech Romancer for like four days straight) so some of us only know the GameCube version

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    N3 maby? Not great but it's far from as bad as it's made out to be.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How about Monster Hunter? It's kinda Hack and Slash with RPG elements?

Snare on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll just pop you on the pile with all the other Dreamcast apologists. Blue Burst is better, and it's kind-of, sort-of free to play.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Snare wrote: »

Hi V,

All versions of Fatalis are available for download, last I checked :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I'll just pop you on the pile with all the other Dreamcast apologists. Blue Burst is better, and it's kind-of, sort-of free to play.

;-)

Have you tried the Baldur's Gate hack n slash games on the PS2 and Xbox I think. Probably backwards compatible with the newer generation.

Dark Alliance was pretty good.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This thread has some awful recommendations. Conan? Fucking Beowulf? No.

Get God of War 1 and 2, Devil May Cry 3 (all on PS2), or wait for Devil May Cry 4 which comes out next month. Dynasty Warriors 6 is apparently out soon, as well. Ninja Gaiden (Black) for the OXbox is very good as well. None of these games are RPGs but all have some customization options and all are very, very good.

Noray on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heavenly Sword? Yes it's short but I completed it recently and enjoyed every last minute of it. I'd only really recommend it as a rent though, personally I didn't think there was much replayability.

Someone mentioned Ninja Gaiden black, being you have a PS3 I'd recommend you pick up Sigma instead. It's pretty cheap nowadays and looks lovely in HD. Sadly the Pal version I have is missing decaptiations :(

However from your initial post it seems you want something a little more RPG-ish. Have you considered Fable on the xbox? It's a downloadable title so you don't even have to get up off your big fat arse to buy it.

You'll then be well prepared for the 360 sequel "soon" to appear.

Disclaimer: "Big fat arse" comment applies to the video gaming world as a whole and not to the op.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What do you mean, "I don't PC game, don't recommend Diablo."

Your only excuse is something really extenuating, like your PC is too old and there's no way you can afford a new one, or you have vowed to your parents that you will never play a PC game, or your terminal illness causes extreme discomfort whenever you play a PC game for some reason.

If the reason is "they just don't jive with me," then you still have to play Diablo 2.

Heck, even if you think your PC is too weak, you can play D2. It's old now. If you really have to you can go all the way back to the original Diablo. I think the $100 laptop for developing nations could even play Diablo.

It's just plain the best hack-n-slash out there that you can play.

If you must, then play Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on GBA. I link to ebay because it is the only place you will ever find the game nowadays. It plays very much like Diablo 2 and is the most awesome portable hack-n-slash ever created.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I...I didn't like Diablo.

And there are some people who don't like to PC game, my pc is up in the spare room and isn't in the ideal location to spend lots of time gaming. I prefer to do it, being that it is my leisure time, in comfort, on my sofa!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    theres another KUF style (I think it came from the same company) game on the 360 called hundred year war or something like that, it is essentially kingdom under fire except it takes place in europe, possibly in the hundred year war. . .

I'm really shady on the details because I haven't played it yet, but hopefully someone can come in and correct the hell out of me.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    alien-syndrome-wii.jpg

Alien Syndrome for Wii. It's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath IN SPACE. With lasers, flamethrowers, and black hole bazookas. And wiimote aiming.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What do you mean, "I don't PC game, don't recommend Diablo."

Your only excuse is something really extenuating, like your PC is too old and there's no way you can afford a new one, or you have vowed to your parents that you will never play a PC game, or your terminal illness causes extreme discomfort whenever you play a PC game for some reason.

If the reason is "they just don't jive with me," then you still have to play Diablo 2.

Heck, even if you think your PC is too weak, you can play D2. It's old now. If you really have to you can go all the way back to the original Diablo. I think the $100 laptop for developing nations could even play Diablo.

It's just plain the best hack-n-slash out there that you can play.

If you must, then play Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on GBA. I link to ebay because it is the only place you will ever find the game nowadays. It plays very much like Diablo 2 and is the most awesome portable hack-n-slash ever created.

No, I've played both Diablo and Diablo 2. I'm done with it. Most time, you have guys that come in here, not adding to the discussion saying 'Diablo.' It didn't really interest me, and I don't want the conversation killed because of it.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Snare wrote: »

Hi V,

All versions of Fatalis are available for download, last I checked :P

My Wifi-Max broke again. I'll just download them and try to play locally. D:

Varega on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On the PC, Titan Quest was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed Alien Shooter: Vengeance for mindless shooter+RPG action and it's only $10 on Steam.

On the consoles, it looks like you've already tried most of the good hack & slash RPGs. I remember Bard's Tale being pretty fun despite its average gameplay simply because it was really fun.

Shining Force Exa might fill the bill, although it got pretty mediocre reviews. Screenshots make it look fun though.

Also you could try Odin Sphere. It's not your traditional hack & slash RPG (it's 2D sidescrolling for one), but it's supposedly really good.

RainbowDespair on