As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 woes and such

Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a buttPlanet Express ShipRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
So I bit the bullet and bought myself a PS3 the other night. I now have all 3 pieces of the triumvirate and I'm thrilled. No exclusive game is foreign to me. It no longer matters who wins the Blu ray/HD-DVD war. I am covered.

But the PS3 is bothering me. The story of the evening of purchase is a troubled one - full of system lock-ups, failures to update, and general pain and suffering. Then it it just started telling me the hard drive was not found.

Well, poop.

I've had 3 360s. The first, a launch unit, lasted 1 year then red ringed. The second goes strong to this day in the hands of my former roommate. Number 3, the Elite, also goes strong still.

I finally get a PS3 and it's a brick. D:

Then I recall that one thing that does not prompt a 'lolsony' - the easily removable hard drive. So I take that bitch out and re-seat it. Things seem to be okay now. However I have gotten the hard drive not found error once since.

Thoughts? Should I just call Sony?

Also has anyone else's Playstation store download speed been piss-poor lately? I have 16Mb cable and it's taking fucking forever to get any demos. 1gig should not be taking hours. Bandwidth tests run from the PS3's web browser report the same results as those run from my 'puters.

And then there's games. I have Motorstorm, which I have less than 0 interest in and most other games I already have for 360. I've been eyeing up Uncharted but I hear it's really short. Any suggestions on that front?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
3DS: 1650-8480-6786
Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
Dr_Keenbean on

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Should I just call Sony?

That depends. Do you want to keep a malfunctioning piece of plastic or not? Don't be dumb. Call Sony, get a replacement, lest in six months there will be a "PS3 woes and such" part two, where you have a completely non functioning system.
    Any suggestions on that front?

Everyday Shooter.

Sheep on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You should probably call Sony about those errors. I haven't encountered anything like that and I've had a 60 gig since August. I haven't really heard of anyone else having those problems either.

I've always had slow downloads on th PS3. I don't know why, but it's always been slower to download than my PC.

Get Uncharted. It has great replayability, and it is simply a solid, awesome game. Also check out Ratchet and Clank, and give Heavenly Sword a rental at least. Warhawk is very fun as well.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    Get Uncharted. It has great replayability, and it is simply a solid, awesome game. Also check out Ratchet and Clank, and give Heavenly Sword a rental at least. Warhawk is very fun as well.

Holy shit, are those the recommended exclusives today?

Sounds like I'll have no problem holding out for Little Big Planet and Gran Turismo 5.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wouldn't even bother calling Sony since you just bought it a few days ago. Take that shit right back to the store and get another one. You'll save a lot of time that way.

Uncharted may be short, but its not Gears Of War short. And as Reznik said, it has good replayability.

Ratchet & Clank Future is awesome (from what I've played so far). You may as well give Resistance a shot as well (also from the R&C guys, Insomniac). And if you aren't tired of Geometry Wars style gameplay, Super Stardust is a great downloadable title.

Dirty on
    edited January 2008
    eobet wrote: »
    lolsony! gosh, im so cool

lolsony is still cool, rite guyz?

Dirty on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Why don't you take it to the store and exchange it for another? Are people seriously this dumb these days? *headslap* O_o

PeekingDuck on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Ring them but DO NOT SAY you changed the HDD even after the fact. They might use that as an excuse to void warranty. I would anyway.

DarkWarrior on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You got a bad console out of the box. Just take it back to the store and tell them it's defective.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • BretzyBretzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you only recently purchased the PS3 take it back to the store and get a different one. I have had a PS3 60gb since launch and have had absolutely no trouble with it.

Purchase Uncharted asap, its a great game and is no shorter than any other action game to come out in recent months, if you take your time and actually play the game rather than speed racer your way through it.

As for the PSN store, are you connecting over a wireless connection? Over wireless the PS store kind sucks, downloads take forever, but when wired everything comes across quickly.

Bretzy on
    Even tho I seek perfection, I wear my scars with pride.
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I bit the bullet and bought myself a PS3 the other night. I now have all 3 pieces of the triumvirate and I'm thrilled. No exclusive game is foreign to me. It no longer matters who wins the Blu ray/HD-DVD war. I am covered.

But the PS3 is bothering me. The story of the evening of purchase is a troubled one - full of system lock-ups, failures to update, and general pain and suffering. Then it it just started telling me the hard drive was not found.

Well, poop.

I've had 3 360s. The first, a launch unit, lasted 1 year then red ringed. The second goes strong to this day in the hands of my former roommate. Number 3, the Elite, also goes strong still.

I finally get a PS3 and it's a brick.

Then I recall that one thing that does not prompt a 'lolsony' - the easily removable hard drive. So I take that bitch out and re-seat it. Things seem to be okay now. However I have gotten the hard drive not found error once since.

Thoughts? Should I just call Sony?

Also has anyone else's Playstation store download speed been piss-poor lately? I have 16Mb cable and it's taking fucking forever to get any demos. 1gig should not be taking hours. Bandwidth tests run from the PS3's web browser report the same results as those run from my 'puters.

And then there's games. I have Motorstorm, which I have less than 0 interest in and most other games I already have for 360. I've been eyeing up Uncharted but I hear it's really short. Any suggestions on that front?

I'd take that PS3 straight back to the store, should not be acting like that at all! Hopefully the store has a decent return policy, the only time ive ever got a lockup was during UT3 custom content server (it changed options while i was connecting), ive never had a failure to update - i had fan issues but so far my new one is much better (i think the first console i damaged on the first day or something).

In terms of games, i play COD4...a lot. I'm guessing its safe to bet that you already have it on the 360, but what you don't have is UT3! With all the custom content right now its an amazing game. i thought id prefer keyboard and mouse so i was playing with that initially but after a while the controller is just as fun but more practical (sit back on a sofa). Right now there are a few problems with voice chat but they are working on it. I imported it to EU and just play with the few hundred people that also imported it and have loads of fun with it, its nice as a break, not as much concentration as COD4 - don't have to listen to footsteps, can just run around wildly in death match.

Apart from that, there isnt anything else that i want from whats available. Well, nothing id pay for, i might rent uncharted later. I bought warhawk, and i really regret it, i think it was popular because there was nothing really to play on the ps3 a while back (although ive heard a lot of people say that you either love it or hate it). Ridge racer is nice but im a major fan and not many other people like it. Apart from that, id recommend you to rent the games/try the demos. Ratchet and Clank demo was fun, but im not sure that id play it anymore then that.

For now, UT3 & COD4 for me. Oh shit, and super stardust hd (PSN download) is an amazing game! I cant believe i forgot about that gem, and im eagerly waiting for everyday shooter to be released to the EU psn, but US already have it.

Thats whats out now, and not much else, but this next year is promising.

funfunfun:

LittleBigPlanet
    MGS 4
    FFXIII
    GT 5
    Wipeout HD
    ---these are the exclusives that im EAGGERLY awaiting

Tekken 6
    Haze
    Battlefield bad company - might be more interested it if it plays anything like battlefield 2,
    burnout paradise
    devil may cry 4
    street fighter 4
    kill zone 2
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Resident Evil 5

---these are the games that are either non-exclusive OR that im a bit sceptical about

most of them are out sometime this year, and im just going to Wii/COD4/UT3 until they are out - and honestly if these are the only games to ever come out on the PS3 i would be happy for the next 5 years (game wise)

Mangaroo on
  • dot_stardot_star Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    nthing Uncharted. If you're the kind of gamer that's into fun, it's got infinite replayability. Heavenly Sword has some of the most memorable viliains ever, it's at least worth a rent to see what awesome nutjobs King Bohan and Grey Fox are. R&C is great, Folklore is almost criminally underappreciated.

dot_star on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    You got a bad console out of the box. Just take it back to the store and tell them it's defective.

That's what I'd do, surely the quickest and easiest way to get it resolved.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Looks like your HDD is shot. Mine died on me 2 months after purchase. Its performance quickly got worse and then I got the "Hard disk not found" message. Just call Sony and send it in for a replacement, or take it back to the store and let them deal with Sony.

Also, get Uncharted. That game is definitely worth it.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dude its dead out of the box just take it back to the store and swap it.

As for games there's a truckload you can't really play anywhere else:

Uncharted
    Ratchet
    Resistance
    Heavenly Sword
    Warhawk

*PSN*

Everyday Shooter
    Super Star Dust HD
    (those two are my favorite of the stick shooters)

Calling all Cars
    Super Rub a Dub (shut up... its fun playing with a bunch of non gamers and laughing at each other)
    Tekken5 ain't half bad and now its online
    Piyotama (fun little puzzle game but nothing AAA)
    fl0w (well.... a lot of people loved this game but I guess it wasn't for me. More like an interactive screen saver or a way to fall asleep peacefully)

Not to mention the various arcade type games that you can get on PSN AND XBLA.

powersurge on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In regards to returning it to the store, I picked it up at Gamestop because they gave me $50 towards it for giving them my PS2. I didn't bother to buy their stupid replacement plan.

Is simply returning it still a viable solution? I've long been out of the retail game and I almost never return stuff. I'm ignorant to policy.

I'm actually very pleased with the thing thus far. What I've used of it it seems pretty awesome. There are some things that I wish Sony had taken from Microsofts playbook and vice versa.

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited January 2008
    The replacement plan is just for coverage beyond the manufacturer's warranty. Almost all stores will let you return or exchange defective merchandise within 30 days of purcahse (some store allow 90 days). Plan or no plan.

Dirty on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I can't speak for how it works in the States, but here in the UK, I got my 360 home, and on booting it up the first time, it had a faulty HDD. I called up the shop, and they replaced it straight away. A year later, the one I had was giving me issues, so I got that replaced too, then took out an extended warranty because the one that came with it was about to run out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    The replacement plan is just for coverage beyond the manufacturer's warranty. Almost all stores will let you return or exchange defective merchandise within 30 days of purcahse (some store allow 90 days). Plan or no plan.

Okay I'll try that. But what happens when the register biscuit plugs it in and everything is fine?

Like I said, I've only seen this error once since I re-seated the hard drive.

Sorry with all the questions on return policy and shit. I'm at work so I don't really want to call Gamestop and I plan on swinging by home at 5, grabbing it, and returning it. I'd like my trip to not be in vain.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well the store clerk won't probably care much if you just bought it and ask them to replace it for a new one. The store won't lose money anyways they'll just send it back to Sony. Tell them that these errors don't happen all the time, but it's still a concern for you.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the average register biscuit isn't going to dispute your claim if you tell him your system doesn't work. It takes a lot less time and effort on his part to just assume you're telling the truth, log it as a defect, and give you another system than it would to "investigate" your claim.

Dirty on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Please for the love of god buy Uncharted, Everyday Shooter and at the very Least rent Heavenly Sword. It was my 2nd favorite game of 2007.

corin7 on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you just got it, run it back to the store and exchange it for a fresh one. And while you're there pick up Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, and Warhawk. If you can only buy one buy warhawk.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Uncharted is super awesome. Just don't go into it thinking its a platformer, it tends more to the combat side. The only people that really bitch about the length are people who haven't played uncharted. (Or can't play it due to lack of PS3)

Warhawk is hit or miss with people. There is definitely a learning a curve to be an effective Warhawk pilot. It becomes a lot more fun if you play with friends or a clan.

Eye of Judgment is great but only if you like trading card games. I really love this game the only problem I have is having to move the coffee table over and not being to play with kids around. (They play with the camera steal the cards.)

Rent Heavenly Sword. (The game is shorter than Uncharted and has less replayability, but is quite great the first play through)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For the 50th time - bring it back to the store. Just sounds like a bad unit.

Non-scientific sample ftw, PS3s have generally been reported as very reliable, so I'd just chalk it up to a QA fluke.

Resistance:FoM is a good shooter, heard good things about the multiplayer. FlOw is definielty a unique game, gives you a chance to play with the motion control.

MichaelLC on
    edited January 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    For the 50th time - bring it back to the store. Just sounds like a bad unit.

Non-scientific sample ftw, PS3s have generally been reported as very reliable, so I'd just chalk it up to a QA fluke.

Resistance:FoM is a good shooter, heard good things about the multiplayer. FlOw is definielty a unique game, gives you a chance to play with the motion control.

I'm taking it back, definitely. Unfortunately the store where I got it is sold out of the 80gigs right now(really? this happens? olololol)

As such we can now focus our attention on cool things I should know about the unit or games I should be playing.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll repeat the 'exchange it' comments.
    powersurge wrote: »
    Uncharted
    Ratchet
    Warhawk

*PSN*

Everyday Shooter
    Super Star Dust HD
    fl0w

And for the love of god buy all of these. Resistance is a stellar online experience but YMMV what with having a 360 and all. Uncharted is one of the best video games I've ever played, and is literally the only one I've immediately started again after beating it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    Okay so another area Gamestop is going to replace it for me. I called and the guy said he hang on to one for me until I get off work. So in about 30 mins I'm going to head out and take care of that.

I would also like to nab a game. Right now it's a toss-up between Uncharted and Warhawk.

Decisions.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Uncharted! I love it, I just got my PS3 and this has been the first game on any system to totally blow me away since Bioshock.

MarvellousM on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I like Ratchet but jesus did that scale up near the end. Sure if you use high level weapons found later in the game its not too bad but your initial weapons even with max level and upgrades are absolutely fucking worthless.

DarkWarrior on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Folklore isn't that bad either if that's your thing. Has a pretty cool art style at the very least.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Uncharted is completely and utterly stunning, I'd highly recommend it, Ratchet and Clank is also very very fun (and beautiful to boot) but I'd only give heavenly sword a rental (don't go by the demo though, I hated the demo and loved the full game, played it through to completion).

I'm loving calling all cars too, very fun in multiplayer but only really pick it up if you know others who have it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Warhawk is pure multiplayer, Uncharted is pure single player. It depends on what you're feeling you want right now. You can't lose with either of them.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited January 2008
    Italax wrote: »
    Folklore isn't that bad either if that's your thing. Has a pretty cool art style at the very least.

What, exactly, is Folklore? I kinda don't read most (any) vidja game sites anymore except Kotaku and PA so I am at a loss in general for things of the 'review' variety.

Usually you cats in the forums are fairly on point with the sort of thing so my interest is piqued.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's basically pokémon meets Kingdom hearts in terms of the battle system I guess? Not sure how to describe it. It has really cool use of the sixaxis though (you use it to rip out monsters souls to add to your collection, you use the souls you collect to attack/defend etc) and a nice art and visual style. I'm having fun with it at least, but try the demo out first., it's pretty much the entire first prologue without VA but with a couple of extra folks.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This seems about a good a place as any to start this discussion, but WTF is up with consoles. All of the big three have failing units as just a part of life. Is it a lack of QA? Is it Chinese Manufacturing? I don't know, but it irritates me that these things are becoming $250-500 paper weights.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    you could easily rephrase that as "wtf is with any electronic device"

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Okay so it's been replaced and all is well. I also grabbed Uncharted.

The next paycheck will likely result in Warhawk or the re-buying of CoD4.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm taking it back, definitely. Unfortunately the store where I got it is sold out of the 80gigs right now(really? this happens? olololol)

As such we can now focus our attention on cool things I should know about the unit or games I should be playing.
    Good. Hope the new one works out.

I'm ashamed no one has mentioned Assassin's Creed or Orange Box yet. Both are must-haves. Unless you hate repetiveness.

General PS3 Stuff - Get all the updates. Think Zen-like thoughts when you realize they only give you a 2" cord to charge the controller: it lasts 30-odd hours, though, so I've got no complaints there.

Which model do you have? The USB 4-port?

MichaelLC on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    General PS3 Stuff - Get all the updates. Think Zen-like thoughts when you realize they only give you a 2" cord to charge the controller: it lasts 30-odd hours, though, so I've got no complaints there.

Which model do you have? The USB 4-port?

He has the 80 gig, so yes 4 ports. Really your cord is only 2'? Mine is at least 3' I have it plugged into my cable box, USB ports built into everything now FTW.
    Okay so it's been replaced and all is well. I also grabbed Uncharted.

The next paycheck will likely result in Warhawk or the re-buying of CoD4.

You will not regret Uncharted. This game is under appreciated. If you get Warhawk buy the disc version with the head set, it's worth it. Heavenly Sword is awesome and worth a rent. Folklore, you'll want to rent it first. I plan to buy it but I'm going to wait to see if they release a later version with the add on packs built in.

Also, in the video settings make sure you set RGB to full. There a big mess over at Game Trailers about that right now, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Dark Shroud on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm ashamed no one has mentioned Assassin's Creed or Orange Box yet. Both are must-haves. Unless you hate repetiveness.

He has a 360. I would buy both of these on the 360 first. PS3 version of AC is buggy, OB has framerate issues, and of course you don't get achievements on either one.

I suppose you might want TF2 on PS3 if you aren't a Live subscriber, but seriously if you have the trifecta why don't you have Live?

Oh and about Warhawk: If you don't have a headset, and don't want to be bothered with a USB cord, then the disc version is worth it. It comes with the game ($40), a Jabra BT125 headset ($25 last I checked on Amazon), and some extra goodies which are probably worthless. And it's $60.

If, however, a bluetooth headset doesn't interest you, you can get the game as a download via PSN for $40. This version can only be played on the PSN account which purchased it. Also, unlike other PSN downloads (which can be shared freely among 5 PS3's), it can only be played on one console per 24 hour period. Just throwing that in there, one of my buddies didn't read the fine print and is now stuck with his GF playing on his account. Oh and a USB headset works just fine, and can be had for like $10.

As for other games, you should probably go and download all the demos available from the store. Some are better than their demos, some aren't, (Ratchet is much much more fun than the demo would suggest) but it will give you an idea. You already have the best exclusive single player game available, and it will easily eat up a week of playing all the fucking time. Because you'll want to play it more than once. Because it's so pretty.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png