As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Books

• Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Somebody name me a decent Clancey novel. And if one of those is Rainbow 6, name me two.
    Without Remorse is an awesome action movie but with pages.

Also I liked Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games (if you don't mind the dumb cement truck subplot). And I hear that Hunt for Red October was good.

Without Remorse was awesome. John Clarke was like mother-fuckin` Batman.

Red Rabbit was pretty awesome too.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Oh I agree, I really liked Dune. A bit long winded if anything, but not overly so. I suppose that's necessary when you're creating an entire new universe.

Very true about creating a new universe, just one reason it had a huge following. As for Dune being long winded.. I would have to say that is a matter of interpretation. I found it to be too short but I am really into the political intrigue and the possible ramifications for various actions.

On a side note, I picked up "The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire" on clearance from a book store that was going out of business and it is the best book I have read in a while. It is also the only book outside of a text book i have read in the past year, but my statement still stands. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

For a suggested reading, I recommend Calculating God.
    Calculating God is the new near-future SF thriller from the popular and award-winning Robert J. Sawyer. An alien shuttle craft lands outside the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. A six-legged, two-armed alien emerges, who says, in perfect English, "Take me to a paleontologist." It seems that Earth, and the alien's home planet, and the home planet of another alien species traveling on the alien mother ship, all experienced the same five cataclysmic events at about the same time (one example of these "cataclysmic events" would be the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs). Both alien races believe this proves the existence of God: i.e. he's obviously been playing with the evolution of life on each of these planets.From this provocative launch point, Sawyer tells a fast-paced, and morally and intellectually challenging, SF story that just grows larger and larger in scope. The evidence of God's universal existence is not universally well received on Earth, nor even immediately believed. And it reveals nothing of God's nature. In fact. it poses more questions than it answers.When a supernova explodes out in the galaxy but close enough to wipe out life on all three home-worlds, the big question is, Will God intervene or is this the sixth cataclysm:?Calculating God is SF on the grand scale.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That sounds pretty interesting. If you want a fucking grand science fiction bonanza, though, read The Foundation series. It's some of the most epic shit ever put to ink.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've never heard of a case where Herbert acted like a dick, but then again, his son might be a curse sent to punish Herbert for his wicked ways.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So guys I have some extra money I've been wanting to use to treat myself to something "artsy" and I don't know if I should go with a limited edition print book signed by the author or a signed art print? I found some info on a Snow Crash edition that is coming out and I'm trying really hard not to be impulsive about it. What are you guys thoughts on that stuff?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved Dune, but I hear that Dune 2 and 3 are insanely convoluted.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dune was really good, but I enjoyed it more listening rather than reading it. Not really sure why, but it seemed to have more impact when I was hearing everything.

Started the Diamond Age again after a pretty long hiatus. The beginning was pretty slow, which is why I stopped for other books, but wow. It has really picked up in all the best ways. The characters are phenomenal, and the setting really excellent too. Can't believe I stopped reading it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dune really seemed to be the best of the huge number of sequels and prequels. Also damnit now I need to try and pick up Diamond Age again (I got distracted by Neverwhere which at the time was much more fun to read).

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll say it here: I hate Nabokov for writing an excellent book that made such a pretty name taboo. Seriously, Lolita is too pretty to not name babies that.

He should have totally named the book Agatha.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    imagine naming your kid Lolita.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I know.

"Honey, who's that man outside the yard?"

"He's a friend - I'm helping him fulfill a literary fantasy!"

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So guys I have some extra money I've been wanting to use to treat myself to something "artsy" and I don't know if I should go with a limited edition print book signed by the author or a signed art print? I found some info on a Snow Crash edition that is coming out and I'm trying really hard not to be impulsive about it. What are you guys thoughts on that stuff?
    Go with a print. A signed book is useless unless you go out of your way to show someone that you have a signed copy of a book. I mean, if you're going to blow a wad of cash, I wouldn't do it on a signed book.

Unless it was Vladimir Nabokov or someone else important and dead.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I picked up the 'year's best horror and fantasy' collection for 2007

there are a couple of good stories, especially by tim pratt, who i love

there's also one by joyce carol oates about some housewife wishing her husband would suck her nipples

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Go with a print. A signed book is useless unless you go out of your way to show someone that you have a signed copy of a book. I mean, if you're going to blow a wad of cash, I wouldn't do it on a signed book.

Unless it was Vladimir Nabokov or someone else important and dead.

Thats all I needed to hear. But your comment on famous dead people reminds me that I let a 300 dollar copy of The Curse of Lono rerelease in 2005 and signed by Hunter S and Ralph Steadman (making it pretty much the last thing he signed) slip through my fingers. I nearly cried when I saw it was going for a grand on ebay.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I would murder somebody for a signed copy of The Brothers Karamazov.
    I doubt D signed any of his novels though.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »

brokenflowers.jpg

Bogdanich on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just bought Blood Meridian. I started the audiobook a while ago, but there were things I didn't like about it, so I put it on hold.
    I'm sure I'll like the print version much better.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You had better.

naporeon on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Calculating God sounds interesting because at first it was reading like a byline for some shitty Christian SF novel but then the whole "so he exists but WHAT THE FUCK IS HE EXACTLY" angle makes it interesting.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read Soon I Will Be Invincible awhile ago.

It's a quick read, only 288 pages.

It's a superhero/villain book. Fun to read.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I can't remember much of Dune anymore, but I know I read a bunch of them. I'm pretty sure they were only the Frank Herbert sequels, but iirc the story was too unfinished for me with the first bit.
    It wasn't written like a 'world creation' novel, but it he manages to get across at least as significant much information about the universe as most 'world creation' novels do, which is one of the reasons I liked it.

Yeah I think this is it, I read a lot of the exposition stuff as purely that, rather than just more story, which is how he give the history of it all. I would probably get a lot more out of it if I read it today, I was about 14 when I read it.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I finished His Dark Materials

it was pretty good

Soup on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So I remembered the name of the Murakami thing I read last year, and I feel like I need to reccomend it to anyone not familiar with his work. It was called Hard Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World and it was super fucking good.

Anyone else read it? I love the way he blends really modern stuff with almost traditional fantasy, noir-ish detective fiction, and incredibly surreal stuff that is almost always allegorical in the coolest ways.

Tell me more.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Reading P.D James "The Children Of Men" at the moment, because I love the film so much, i wondered if the book was any good.

It so is.

Alot of stuff is different though, the film has changed alot of this, but I love both versions.
    The bit where Theo describes how he ran over his daughter....

Man, that shit was horrible

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah after the first dune they get progressively wackier and wackier.

I too read Soon I Will Be Invincible and I liked it a lot. It's light reading for sure but a fun look at the super hero genre.

I also liked Special Topics in Calamity Physics (not a science novel). It's got a girl and a murder mystery but also a surprising amount of character and revolutionary/guerilla warfare, if you can get past the narrator's crippling superiority complex

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »
    So I remembered the name of the Murakami thing I read last year, and I feel like I need to reccomend it to anyone not familiar with his work. It was called Hard Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World and it was super fucking good.

Anyone else read it? I love the way he blends really modern stuff with almost traditional fantasy, noir-ish detective fiction, and incredibly surreal stuff that is almost always allegorical in the coolest ways.

Tell me more.

Well, it's basically about a down-on-his luck hard-boiled Japanese detective in the '80s who is sucked into a bizzare series of experiments by a government subsidised scientiest. The book takes place in two seperate worlds, each of which are tied to each other by metaphors and events - one world is a surreal town that is full of people but has only three articulated characters and is sorrounded by herds of some mythical beast.

Essentially, one half of the book is an incredibly surreal allegory for the life process, self-discovery, cynicism, love, and that which drives us. The other half is a fantastic noir narrative with elements of science fiction, horror, really weird romance, and fantasy all integrated in. I like to think of Murakami as the Neil Gaiman of Japanese writing, but he really is so much more than just creative.

As for the diction itself, it's neither too verbose nor overly simplistic, and it's pretty obvious how extensive his ability as a wordsmith is without going too overboard. It almost reminds of me of some sort of postmodern Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm gonna buy some books. Here's a list.
    STOVER, MATTHEW WOODRING:HEROES DIE (0345421450) 4-7 arkipäivää 7,50 €
    PRATCHETT, TERRY:WYRD SISTERS (0552134600) 3-5 arkipäivää 8,80 €
    PRATCHETT, TERRY:PYRAMIDS (0552134619) 3-5 arkipäivää 10,20 €
    LYNCH, SCOTT:RED SEAS UNDER RED SKIES (0575079673) 3-5 arkipäivää 13,20 €
    MATHESON, RICHARD:I AM LEGEND M/TV (0765357151) 4-7 arkipäivää 7,50 €

Maksettava: 47,20 €

Anyone got any other recommendations? (Reading through Pratchett chronologically, so I don't miss out on details in later books.)
    I fear I am missing on steam and cyber punk. Can anyone reccomend me some?

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    so i finished mort, working on guards! guards! now

man these books are great.

"just don't say monkey. ohshit."

the librarian is the best character ever <3

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Anyone got any other recommendations? (Reading through Pratchett chronologically, so I don't miss out on details in later books.)

cyberpunk: neuromancer, the diamond age, altered carbon

steampunk: the difference engine

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

cyberpunk: neuromancer, the diamond age, altered carbon

steampunk: the difference engine

Thanks, not gonna order more, cos holy fuck, that is now suddenly expensive.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soup wrote: »
    I finished His Dark Materials

it was pretty good
    Laaaaaaaaaaame.
    0113071619zb3.jpg

naporeon on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Tell me more.

Well, it's basically about a down-on-his luck hard-boiled Japanese detective in the '80s who is sucked into a bizzare series of experiments by a government subsidised scientiest. The book takes place in two seperate worlds, each of which are tied to each other by metaphors and events - one world is a surreal town that is full of people but has only three articulated characters and is sorrounded by herds of some mythical beast.

Essentially, one half of the book is an incredibly surreal allegory for the life process, self-discovery, cynicism, love, and that which drives us. The other half is a fantastic noir narrative with elements of science fiction, horror, really weird romance, and fantasy all integrated in. I like to think of Murakami as the Neil Gaiman of Japanese writing, but he really is so much more than just creative.

As for the diction itself, it's neither too verbose nor overly simplistic, and it's pretty obvious how extensive his ability as a wordsmith is without going too overboard. It almost reminds of me of some sort of postmodern Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett.

Seeing as Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors (along with like Anthony Burgess I suppose) I think I need to get this book. Also because it sounds fucking amazing.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    haruki murikami is wonderful, but 'wind up bird chronicle' had a terrible ending

but you'd like it ,straizi

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Good good. I need to read a lot in the next couple of months, I have plans for a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen styled GURPS game and I am feeling rather inadequate in terms of my knowledge of modern literature.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    what are you looking for, adventure novels?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I finally finished Brave New World. The last chapter was intense as fuck, I loved it.

What's with the compass though?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Pretty much anything set in the modern day or near future is my focus for the setting. The one good thing I can say is I've been rereading some of my favorite books because of it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I bought a Game of Thrones

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still need to fucking buy that book but I have 40 bucks left in Financial Aid money from school and a paperback Fahrenheit 451 is 6 bucks, so...

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

Pretty much anything set in the modern day or near future is my focus for the setting. The one good thing I can say is I've been rereading some of my favorite books because of it.

The Road

Urian on