As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Controller disconnects constantly

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Yesterday I started having an issue with my 360 controller. It refuses to stay connected. My 360 is only a month old, but nonetheless I installed new batteries to see if that was the problem. I'm still getting disconnected constantly. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you fix it?

langfor6 on

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Yesterday I started having an issue with my 360 controller. It refuses to stay connected. My 360 is only a month old, but nonetheless I installed new batteries to see if that was the problem. I'm still getting disconnected constantly. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you fix it?

I can't help you fix it, but I have the same problem with an old one I got with a refurbished 360. It seems to do it when the batteries get low, but not empty.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if by 'new batteries' you mean those rechargable AA's then those just don't cut it after a couple uses

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Make sure the battery compartment is staying closed all the way. Had a similar problem with mine.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    if by 'new batteries' you mean those rechargable AA's then those just don't cut it after a couple uses

By new batteries I mean Duracells. Also, the battery compartment is closed. I bought the 360 against my better judgment because of a few exclusives, and it looks like I'm paying for it now. Oh well, at least it hasn't red-ringed on me yet.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008

Are you stupid, or do you buy incredibly cheap rechargeable batteries?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Ohh I know I know!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My new Xbox 360 controller does this disconnecting shit. It will randomly disconnect whenever I move it around even with brand new batteries. When the batteries are less than half powered, it'll just d/c even if I don't move it.

My quick solution was to pull up the spring contacts in the battery case enough so that they're always in contact with the batteries. My disconnects have gone down since I did this but I'm starting to think this is faulty contacts altogether.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

They've been cutting it for me for well over a year now.

I think I know what the poster is talking about. I've had minor issues with my new black controller where I'll play a game and suddenly the controller de-syncs from the console. I'm not sure why it does it. One time it was fixed by taking the battery pack off and snapping it back on again. Another time I just reset the console when the controller kept trying to connect and failing back out.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I did have this problem as well but then I had been using the batteries that came with my 360 for about a month and around 30-40 hours of gameplay so you know when I changed batteries it went away.

Still others have had this problem happening even with new batteries, but it must be a myth because we know 360 hardware is SO reliable. :lol:

Kagera on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

By new batteries I mean Duracells. Also, the battery compartment is closed. I bought the 360 against my better judgment because of a few exclusives, and it looks like I'm paying for it now. Oh well, at least it hasn't red-ringed on me yet.

Aren't you being a bit melodramatic when you're just having a problem with one controller's batteries?

OH DEAR GOD MY BATTERIES AREN'T WORKING RIGHT FUCK THIS CONSOLE.

My friend had this same problem and they ended up being faulty batteries. He had taken the batteries straight out of the pack and so swore at me up and down that there was no way it was the batteries, then he stuck them in his Wii-Mote and the Wii-Mote showed them as being almost completely dead. Try buying another pack of batteries.

Better yet, buy one of the rechargeable battery packs for the controller, that way you can also eliminate the problem of it being the contacts on the little AA holder being loose/damaged. If you put a rechargeable battery pack in there and it still doesn't work, then you'll know for sure you've got a bad controller.

In which case I GUESS YOU'LL HAVE TO JUST RETURN THE CONSOLE BECAUSE HOLY FUCK ONE CONTROLLER ISN'T WORKING RIGHT.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had a similar problem that occurred during the most inopportune moments online. The batteries were newly bought and definitely full, but replacing them solved the problem for me. (Reading this thread, maybe it was actually the latch but I didn't notice? Oh well.) Regardless, they do sell wired controllers and I plan to pick one up sometime, maybe you should give those a go.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What I'm referring to is that one of my controllers the carriage that holds the batteries will come out a bit (like a 16th of an inch if the controller is shaken or such. It's subtle enough to not notice.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh hey can I just ask my question here? Seems an appropriate thread. I have one of those MS original battery packs for my wireless controller and also one of those USB charge cables. But I find that I have to keep the controller wired at all times because if I don't the lights will start blinking to indicate the battery is depleted! And that also happens after a lengthy charging period. Is my battery pack dead?

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cdneger wrote: »
    Oh hey can I just ask my question here? Seems an appropriate thread. I have one of those MS original battery packs for my wireless controller and also one of those USB charge cables. But I find that I have to keep the controller wired at all times because if I don't the lights will start blinking to indicate the battery is depleted! And that also happens after a lengthy charging period. Is my battery pack dead?

It's possible. Rechargeable battery packs can only take a certain number of charges before they die out. If you've been plugging it in every time you're done playing then you may have gone over what it can take. How long have you had it?

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Aren't you being a bit melodramatic when you're just having a problem with one controller's batteries?

My friend had this same problem and they ended up being faulty batteries. He had taken the batteries straight out of the pack and so swore at me up and down that there was no way it was the batteries, then he stuck them in his Wii-Mote and the Wii-Mote showed them as being almost completely dead. Try buying another pack of batteries.

Better yet, buy one of the rechargeable battery packs for the controller, that way you can also eliminate the problem of it being the contacts on the little AA holder being loose/damaged. If you put a rechargeable battery pack in there and it still doesn't work, then you'll know for sure you've got a bad controller.

In which case I GUESS YOU'LL HAVE TO JUST RETURN THE CONSOLE BECAUSE HOLY FUCK ONE CONTROLLER ISN'T WORKING RIGHT.

360 DEFENSE FORCE TO THE RESCUE! HOOOOOO!

It would be different if I hadn't experienced a lifetime of faulty products from this company.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh heck, this reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. My damn controller disconnects only when it rumbles, does anyone know why? I'd like to fix it without having to turn off rumble

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    360 DEFENSE FORCE TO THE RESCUE! HOOOOOO!

It would be different if I hadn't experienced a lifetime of faulty products from this company.

The reaction you got, while a little over the top, was probably due to the fact that it looks like you're condeming a console just because your controller started acting a little wonky recently. If you're less hyperbolic the responses you get probably will be too.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    NekroNekro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

If it's any consolation the rechargeable battery packs work fine for me, but then again I have the little tower you have to plug in, not the plug and play that charges directly. Maybe that's the problem?

Nekro on
    gantclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008

haha....holy crap....

wow, calm down buddy

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I GUESS YOU'LL HAVE TO JUST RETURN THE CONSOLE BECAUSE HOLY FUCK ONE CONTROLLER ISN'T WORKING RIGHT.

Srsly. Calm the fuck down, langfor. It's a goddamn controller being a bit wonky, not the end of the world, and certainly not even representative of the console as a whole, by taking the opportunity to take an obvious and cheap swipe at Microsoft, you're being at worst a total moron, and at best a pretentious dick. Cut the shit, k?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I paid $350 a month ago for what is now a paperweight. I'm pissed off about it. If that makes me a moron or pretentious, so be it, but personally I think more people should be getting angry about getting screwed.

It's not just the controller problem. There's a whole host of issues I have with the 360, and now that it's unplayable, it's the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Also, while you may enjoy it, calling me names isn't really helping me solve the problem. If you read my post, the problem is with the controller, not the batteries.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think it might be a case of getting a bum console (or controller), luck of the draw and all that. Not that, that makes your situation any better of course. I got my 360 over a year and a half ago and it still runs fine without a hitch.
    It's not just the controller problem. There's a whole host of issues I have with the 360, and now that it's unplayable, it's the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Also, while you may enjoy it, calling me names isn't really helping me solve the problem. If you read my post, the problem is with the controller, not the batteries.
    With the exception of your controller problem what other issues have you got? My understanding is that microsofts exchange policy is not half bad these days?

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    I think it might be a case of getting a bum console (or controller), luck of the draw and all that. Not that, that makes your situation any better of course. I got my 360 over a year and a half ago and it still runs fine without a hitch.
    With the exception of your controller problem what other issues have you got? My understanding is that microsofts exchange policy is not half bad these days?

My other issues aren't with performance problems. I think paying for Live is bullshit, and $100 for a wireless adapter is highway robbery. My DS has wireless in it, and it barely cost me more than $100. I'm just being disgruntled because I really wanted to play Mass Effect today and my controller issue prevented me from doing that.

Got a response back from MS support. Here is their advice:

a. Remove all the metallic objects from the front of the console. Or, move the console away from any metallic surfaces, such as entertainment cabinets.
    b. Move the console or move the other wireless devices away from the console.
    c. If other wireless devices do not work correctly, move these wireless devices or move the console to determine whether interference is causing the issue.
    d. If you continually receive the "Please reconnect controller" error message during game play or if the four green lights on the controller flash continuously even after you try to “bind” the controller with the Xbox 360 console, there may be a problem with the controller. Call Xbox Customer Support.

I just picked up Rock Band, and I have the drum kit placed near the 360. It's not in front, but it's in the vicinity. I'll have to see if that is the culprit.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

My other issues aren't with performance problems. I think paying for Live is bullshit, and $100 for a wireless adapter is highway robbery. My DS has wireless in it, and it barely cost me more than $100. I'm just being disgruntled because I really wanted to play Mass Effect today and my controller issue prevented me from doing that.

Got a response back from MS support. Here is their advice:

a. Remove all the metallic objects from the front of the console. Or, move the console away from any metallic surfaces, such as entertainment cabinets.
    b. Move the console or move the other wireless devices away from the console.
    c. If other wireless devices do not work correctly, move these wireless devices or move the console to determine whether interference is causing the issue.
    d. If you continually receive the "Please reconnect controller" error message during game play or if the four green lights on the controller flash continuously even after you try to “bind” the controller with the Xbox 360 console, there may be a problem with the controller. Call Xbox Customer Support.

I just picked up Rock Band, and I have the drum kit placed near the 360. It's not in front, but it's in the vicinity. I'll have to see if that is the culprit.
    Yeah I agree with you on the wireless thing, that came standard with the wii and ps3 no theres no way in hell that I'm shelling out for $100 wireless doohicky I'm looking into alternative options for that though, apparently there're cheaper unofficial ones around.
    I'd be pretty suprised if in was another wireless thingy causing it, my living room has wireless and wifi things buzzing up the wazzoo and I've never had a problem.
    Good luck though, Mass Effect is a kick arse game and damn you to hell for having Rock Band, don't even have a confirmed date for that game in Aust yet. *angry fist*

Hearthjaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just be glad you didn't get a 360 that scratches discs, lucky mister. Microsoft so doesn't deserve all the criticism it gets!

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The controller I got with my 360 had the same problem and I ended up having to return it (best buy made me return the whole thing just for the controller). It really pissed me off because microsoft support refused to even help me and told me to just return it and having to bring the entire thing back after fitting it perfectly into my entertainment center was a huge hassle. It didn't help that this was right after christmas when live wouldn't even let me migrate my account that I had just set up on the first xbox. I had to wait a few days to return it because I would have just swapped it for $$ and regretted it later.

Basically the reason I think it was broken is because the battery pack had the tiniest bit of play back and forth -- it could just slightly move up and down and I think this was disconnecting it as my working controller's battery pack can't move at all.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

In my experience the rechargable Energizers I buy won't work after a while in my 360 controller, digital camera, or really anything that isn't a remote control.

The whole drain/recharge process seems to suck the '[umph]' out after a couple times.

p.s. why are you being a prick over such an idle comment

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My 360 controller has started doing this, but only during certain tricks in THP8 (bargain bin, before you ask). 5 hours of Blue Dragon, no problem. Third combo in nail the trick, every. single. time.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Sounds like what mine does. It worked fine for a couple days when I first got the system, but after going dead once, I've never been able to recharge the pack, so I've just been using it as a wired controller for months. Tested it with a couple of controllers, so the issue seems to be with the battery pack or the cable. The shop I got it from said I should take it back, really should do that one of these days...

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

In my experience the rechargable Energizers I buy won't work after a while in my 360 controller, digital camera, or really anything that isn't a remote control.

The whole drain/recharge process seems to suck the '[umph]' out after a couple times.

What kind of Energizer batteries did you get?

It's Penny Arcade we act like pricks by default nothing personal.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We're pricks because we're all, always right.

Hearthjaw on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

If you can't have a big prick then be one.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I paid $350 a month ago for what is now a paperweight.

$350 for a controller? you got ripped off! I paid like $35 for mine.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

If you can't have a big prick then be one.

I manage both.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    this thread is now about loldongs.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You know the Play and Charge battery pack? All that thing is is two NiMH AA batteries in a special plastic case.

So I guess you got crappy rechargables. I hear Sanyo Eneloops are good, or Rayovac Hybrids, but really I've never had any problems with Energizer 2500mAh cells, so whatever.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

You know the Play and Charge battery pack? All that thing is is two NiMH AA batteries in a special plastic case.

So I guess you got crappy rechargables. I hear Sanyo Eneloops are good, or Rayovac Hybrids, but really I've never had any problems with Energizer 2500mAh cells, so whatever.

Well, I'll just like to add some anecdotal evidence. I've been using the Energizer 2500mAH cells for just a bit over a year and a half. I have no problems with using them in my Wiimotes, my 360 Controllers, my Wireless keyboard, or a multitude of other tv remotes/electronic devices around my house. I get, on average, 15-20 hours on a full charge of batteries on the 360 controller.

Now, I've made sure that the signal from my controller doesn't have to go through any sort of metal, because then you get problems like langfor is having, and you get increased battery usage. I had the same problem with my PS3 (Controller unsyncing), until I realized that my entertainment center had a metal reinforcement shelf on the bottom of each wodden shelf. I moved the PS3 slightly out of the entertainment center, and I've had substantially less issues with the bluetooth since then. Even if the remote/controller has full LOS to the console, don't assume that it will automatically be fine. If anything surrounding the console is metal, that's your problem right there. Hope this helps, and don't be so up in arms about it. It makes you seem less likely open for advice, as you'll just say something to the effect of "Well THAT'S a crappy design. Screw this, I'm gonna get me (name new console here) which will honestly have the same problems.

A little research never hurt anybody.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've had a problem like this with my Hori EX2 Fighting Stick. It was static shock shorting the USB port. Whenever I would complete the ground, like by setting it down on carpet, it would short out. I dunno if that could be it or not, through.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png