As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blue Dragon: The best bad music you'll ever hear

BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I fail at doing the big huge sprawling OPs, so forgive the lack of pretty pictures. I just got this last Sunday, along with my brand new XBox 360. I love me some old school JRPG, so I am having a blast with the job system and finding ways to break the game (Double Strike + Crit Boost + Attack Amp seems to work nicely). I have no complaints.

Except...

What the hell is up with the boss music in this game?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
Blackjack on

• Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Believe me, you haven't realized just how bad that music gets later on. Every single boss fight barring a few exceptions runs that music. I felt like choking something the 50th or so time I heard it. It's a song that just keeps on giving. And by giving, I mean it gives you pain. More and more.

Then you fight the final boss and all is forgiven because the change from utter shit to pure awesome is so sudden. Makes it all worth it.

Cynic Jester on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I actually kind of enjoy it, in its horribleness.

Well, except for the damn flying fortress at the end of the first disc, when they thought it would be a great idea to make you fight five bosses in a row.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know what is up with the boss music, other than the guy from Deep Purple sings it.

Cynic Jester is right though, the final boss music is fantastic.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I... I kinda like the boss music. It's like DIO, but cheesier. Kinda funny, I was looking for the Blue Dragon thread because I just got it on Gamefly. I love the game, but there is one song that really irks me. It's the one where you're in the adventurer's village (sheep people or whatever) early on in the game.

urahonky on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It grew on my really quickly. The lyrics are so beautifully cheesy.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited January 2008
    Dammit, game.

Disc 2 stuff:
    Give me Kluke back.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PRICK YOUR HAND UNTIL IT BLEEDS

THIS IS THE BEGINNING

Atlus Parker on
    edited January 2008
    PRICK YOUR HAND UNTIL IT BLEEDS

THIS IS THE BEGINNING
    Fear and awe in your eyes
    Showing you what you can't see
    Reaching hands, you are blind
    Staring down eternity
    Without us you can't see now
    Searching hands, you are blind
    Staring down eternity

Hope, despair in your mind
    Prick your hands until they bleed
    Showing you what you can't find
    Staring through eternity

Hope, despair in your mind
    Without us you are free now
    Seek now what you cannot find
    Staring through eternity

A light shining on my heart
    A memory of forgotten love
    Rays burning through the clouds
    Down from the sky up above

This is the beginning
    Here's where it all gets started
    Under the sky above
    This is the beginning
    Fear what you'll learn to love

This is the beginning
    Too late it's all been started
    Under the sky above
    This is the beginning
    Move on now its started
    Fear what you'll learn to love

Showing you what you can't see
    Reaching hands, you are blind
    Staring down eternity
    Without us you can't see now
    Searching hands, you are blind
    Staring down eternity

Down from the sky up above

This is the beginning
    Long ago it's all been started
    Under the sky above
    No time for beginning
    Finish what you have started
    Fear's what you'll learn to love

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My mind is blown that the beginning of an event would also be where said event is started.

Atlus Parker on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love that boss music, it's even on my iPod. :D

Djiem on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, this game was pure awesome for me.

This is one of the very definitions of "more than the sum of it's parts".

Some bad music, bland story (when there was one), some bland characters, some REALLY unlikable characters, and retro old school game play.
    Other than the graphics (pretty, even if they aren't your cup of tea), a couple good music tracks, and an awesome class system you can make your bitch, there isn't a whole lot of real pluses to the game.

Despite all that, I loved every minute of the game and have replayed several parts of it a few times over already. I'm still debating picking up the dungeon DLC however... I just don't know if it's worthwhile, and not too many places I've seen have talked about it.

EclecticGroove on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Down from the sky up ABOOOOOVE!

This is the beginning

Under the sky above

WAAAAAAGHHHYEEEEAAAHHH!!!

I'm still on the first disc (the swamp), that music is SO annoying....yet awesome... :P

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey wait, this thread isn't about Sonic R at all!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What the hell is up with the boss music in this game?

It's funny, when I complained about the boss music in the demo thread I got a fairly resounding "stfu" for it, but really, it's fucking awful.

Pb on
    edited January 2008
    No, man. It's awesome. It's just awesome because it's so bad.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dammit Ian Gillian, I though you had more common sense than to do shit like this!

YardGnome on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So wait, was the boss battle music the same in both the Japanese and US versions? Or did we get a re-recording? I'm playing with the Japanese audio, since I can't stand most dubs, and this just makes it feel like the cutscenes are subtitled anime. But the boss battle music I hear sounds more like Engrish, not Gillan.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited January 2008
    I'm pretty sure the music is the same in both versions.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    VGM w/lyrics always seem to be hit or miss. I can hardly name any that are good.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
    edited January 2008
    Vert1 wrote: »
    VGM w/lyrics always seem to be hit or miss. I can hardly name any that are good.

:whistle:I'm stiiiiiiilll in a dreeeeeeeam, Snaaaake Eeeeeeeater:whistle:

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh the music is awesome for boss fights!

It's kind'a like an episode of Power Rangers or Sailor Moon... as soon as the song kicks in you know you're in for BATTLE! It let's you know either A) time to kick ass! (90% of the villains if you are leveling up right and paying attention to the enemy at hand) or B) YOU WILL NOW DIE PAINFULLY IN ABOUT THREE SECONDS (The KING POO!)

I think one of the absolutely best gaming moments in my life is the first time I beat King Poo and that music was blaring in the background as four of those big (can't remember the names) attacks went off in a row.

useless4 on
    edited January 2008
    I really like the normal fight music in the game too. Reminds me of some retro-RPGs from back in the day.

urahonky on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Deusfaux on
    edited January 2008
    That's exactly it Deusfaux :) It's so awesome.

urahonky on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    jesus that really is bad

Deusfaux on
    edited January 2008
    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some bad music, bland story (when there was one), some bland characters, some REALLY unlikable characters, and retro old school game play.
    Other than the graphics (pretty, even if they aren't your cup of tea), a couple good music tracks, and an awesome class system you can make your bitch, there isn't a whole lot of real pluses to the game.

Despite all that, I loved every minute of the game and have replayed several parts of it a few times over already. I'm still debating picking up the dungeon DLC however... I just don't know if it's worthwhile, and not too many places I've seen have talked about it.

You pretty much summed up my feelings about the game until the second paragraph. Also, the unimaginative names on the enemies really started to annoy me. It looks as though everything had placeholder names during development and they just never bothered to replace them.

I tried to give the game another chance a couple of weeks ago, and as I put the disc in the tray I was saying that as long as I was past the areas full of "Poo Snakes", I'd be ok. I loaded up, walked into a cave, and the first thing I saw was a "Hermit Crab Poo", a Poo Snake with a shell. Back in the box it went.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, this game was pure awesome for me.

This is one of the very definitions of "more than the sum of it's parts".

I'm actually really fond of all of the characters (yes, even Maru. Although I do keep calling him Gabo, after the guy in Dragon Quest VII by accident). But I'm a sucker for character interaction, and these guys actually, you know, talk to each other, so I'm pretty much forced to love them.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aldarez wrote: »

You pretty much summed up my feelings about the game until the second paragraph. Also, the unimaginative names on the enemies really started to annoy me. It looks as though everything had placeholder names during development and they just never bothered to replace them.

I tried to give the game another chance a couple of weeks ago, and as I put the disc in the tray I was saying that as long as I was past the areas full of "Poo Snakes", I'd be ok. I loaded up, walked into a cave, and the first thing I saw was a "Hermit Crab Poo", a Poo Snake with a shell. Back in the box it went.

Poo's abound!

But really, the entire game is set up to be very juvenile and immature in a lot of ways. Most games have the hero's as young teens (or even younger) up against these apocalyptically insane villains... but Blue Dragon was all set through a very child like view for everything... I found it very refreshing in that way. Even the "menacing" creatures were done in a very "cute" style (save maybe a handful).

EclecticGroove on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've yet to hear this song as I don't have the game yet but one thing is certian.

Nothing is as bad as Breath of Fire 2's background music.

NOTHING.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Poo's abound!

But really, the entire game is set up to be very juvenile and immature in a lot of ways. Most games have the hero's as young teens (or even younger) up against these apocalyptically insane villains... but Blue Dragon was all set through a very child like view for everything... I found it very refreshing in that way. Even the "menacing" creatures were done in a very "cute" style (save maybe a handful).

Being one who loves Pokemon games, and the horrible puns a lot of them are named with, I'm ok with things being a little childish. It's just when I see a fish with armor, and it's called "Armored Fish" or a fiery ghost wolf called "Flame Wolf Ghost", I can't help but wonder if they could have tried a little harder.

All in all I guess it's not really a game-breaking issue, I'm just a picky bastard.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've yet to hear this song as I don't have the game yet but one thing is certian.

Nothing is as bad as Breath of Fire 2's background music.

NOTHING.
    Heh, you'd probably hate Mega Man X2's soundtrack, too. Much of the battle music in that game sounds like it belongs in MMX2, which I might add has my least favorite music in the X series, especially that horrible boss intro song (Bun, bun, bun bunbun! *insert really reatrded sounding "Ow!" here*).

EDIT: To be on topic, I'd like to say I love cheese rock like this.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That track basically made the game for me

bruin on
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, that music is horrible.

KimFidler on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    But it's horrible in the best possible way

bruin on
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    But it's horrible in the best possible way

Touche'

KimFidler on
    edited January 2008
    Ahahaha wow, this fight is bullshit.

Disc 2 spoilers
    "Hey, remember those four robots at the end of Disc One that kept fucking your shit up? How about you fight them ALL AT ONCE! Won't that be fun?"

No. No, it won't.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know its very likely, but can someone confirm that you can play your own soundtrack and mute the game's soundtrack?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love this boss music.

I play it in other games when I fight bosses sometimes.

Also, I start singing it to myself whenever a boss has its own little intro clip, like, when they show you the boss for a couple seconds before the battle actually begins.

Hell, I started it up when I got to a boss in Kingdom Under Fire the other night (Yes, I have it saved on my 360's hard drive) and it made the battle like 50 times more epic.

Also, I guess this game was pretty decent or something. Could have stood to be a little more difficult though.

EDIT: STAIR INTO ETURNITEE!!

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »

Hahahahahahaha

The scream at 1:26 is gold.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg