As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halp! My xbox360 is satan reincarnated Part 2

LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
okay lets see where was I from last time.. Oh yes I managed to get the NAT open.

Alright, I shall explain everything I really hope someone can further enlighten me.

For some reason, the Xbox when being worked disconnects, almost every time I try playing a game, by disconnect I mean completely leave the game and XboX360 live. Soooo this is kinda irritating, but if only that was what happened, Also, at the same time all of the computers in my house also gain some whiplash from the Xbox and cause all of them to disconnect until the Xbox itself can re-connect to the internet.

Thats the issue, I can sometimes get into games because I have a open NAT, but most of the times I dont get into games, and the entire house lurches in pain.

Nowww for how i'm getting it to work in the first place for those going to qeustion, I have the X-box connected to a splicer ethernet cable, The ethernet cable is then attached to my computer, and to the router which is all the way across the house, I've tried directly plugging the Xbox to the router and it does the same thing, and I've also fiddled around with multiple different DNS/IP adresses and to no avail.

Currently, In my settings I have enabled the UPnP and have disabled the WAN blocker to allow the NAT to be Open. But, disabled, or enabled for both, the Xbox still persists on making my house gain diaherra basically...... Does anyone have a solution to this crazyyyyy predicament?

asides dunking my Xbox in holy water and never using it again

NORE BURNING do not suggest this either, also.... do not suggest converting it to christianity, stabbing it with a wooden stake, or trying to cleanse it by repelling the evil spirits haunting it.

splat
Loomdun on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Have you tried with the hard drive off, just to be sure? Or hooked directly to the modem?

yalborap on
  • Options
    mazelonmazelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sounds to me like it's not the Xbox. I didn't see your other post so I don't know your hardware. What router do you have? Sounds to me like a nasty packet collision error or the DNS settings are getting messed up and booting all the devices while it resets everything. Have you tried plugging your xbox straight into the modem and seeing if it still screws up?

mazelon on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mazelon wrote: »
    Have you tried plugging your xbox straight into the modem and seeing if it still screws up?

Try this first. This sounds very much like your router is made entirely of fail rather than some problem on the Xbox's end.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sounds to me like it's not the Xbox. I didn't see your other post so I don't know your hardware. What router do you have? Sounds to me like a nasty packet collision error or the DNS settings are getting messed up and booting all the devices while it resets everything. Have you tried plugging your xbox straight into the modem and seeing if it still screws up?
    This. I couldn't see your 360 causing these problems.
    Try contacting your ISP and see if they notice any stability issues.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yes, I have plugged it directly to the modem, still dosn't work.

A nasty packet collision error or the DNS settings are getting messed up sounds fairly logical now that I think about it, how would I check packet collison errors or the DNS settings? Because it tends to occur only when I try playing Hosted halo games (The only game I play) multiplayer, it works normally until I do that then the issues occur.

I use a RCA

as for stability issues, Time warner has indeed stated 183 drops in the past 2 days. so yes.

I was thinking it could possibly be IP adrress being similar but I changed it around while maintaining NAT to be Open so that wasn't it, But I'm not 100% sure about DNS or Packet collision probably because I do not even know how to prevent it or how it could cause a error

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am intrigued by this "splicer ethernet cable."

Personally, I would go without the UPnP and WAN blocker and all that other voodoo, and go with the instructions here to get your Open NAT:
    http://live.tommccann.net

capnrico on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    capnrico wrote: »
    I am intrigued by this "splicer ethernet cable."

Personally, I would go without the UPnP and WAN blocker and all that other voodoo, and go with the instructions here to get your Open NAT:
    http://live.tommccann.net

Nope, tried that didn't work specifically because RCA generally isn't there but anyways.

As for the entire house being destroyed, this was happening before I opened the UPnP and WAN as welll They did not harm it, merely made things slightly easier to run as amazingly unstable as it is still

I tried those other methods first, by opening UPnP it made my NAT into Open

Then againnnnnn I wonderzzz

I'll check one last thing and see if this fixes it

And the answer is no, with or without Wan and UPnP blocking, the entire thing still goes to crap. And all computers crash.

So how would I check the DNS and the Packets..... Waiiittt... Are cable plugs capable of being faulty in itself?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    mazelonmazelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well ya. The cable ports themselves could be messed up... but that usually just makes it so the device won't work at all. Not really what you get.

Packet collision is a normal thing that happens on most network hubs/routers when more than one device is connecting to the net. It's normally managed by the hub/router and doesn't cause an issue. I have however seen it take down a network. Usually when devices aren't running at the same network speed is the only time I have seen a router actually take down a network (like an older computer running a 10 base network card along with others that have 100 or 1000 base)... and it's not that often.

But if you have plugged your Xbox directly into your cable modem and are having the same issue thats strange. If you have the ability try other cables. A faulty cable could do it. Also make sure you are not plugging the xbox into the router with the link (splicer) cable, the send/recieve wires are crossed on those and it simply won't work.

I would suggest also going into your router and setting up your DHCP settings to more of a manual setting and config your devices that way... Auto assign setup can sometimes cause an error.

It really sounds like a DHCP thing to me. With all the devices going down it's sounding like 2 devices with the same IP adress are causing a conflict and locking up the network. This is something I see all the time at a friends house when his wireless router assigns the same IP address to his ps3 and his roomates computer. Whenever he turns on his Ps3 it takes down the home network. Could be something to do with you using your main computer as a hub/proxy for your xbox... Since both devices are through one connection that could cause some issues.

Only thing I can think of is to start from scratch.

Make sure your router firmware is up to date.
    Start with just the Xbox on the router.
    If it works add another device to the network and play some more. Keep doing this until you see the error come up again.

Now if you have (like you said) plugged your xbox straight into the modem to no avail it might be the modem itself. If you're leasing it get another from your ISP.

If all else fails take your 360 to a friends house with broadband. If it doesn't quit there it's not the system, but you can't rule it out until you try it.

Hope this helps man...

***Edit***

Oh yes... Your cable connection could be bad too. A rep can come and test it for you from your cable company... you need so much signal str to keep an active connection. If you have any splitters hooked up to the cable check and see if there are -db ratings on the splitter. I have seen some splitters that have worse -db on one output than another. always hook your modem to the connection with the lowest -db number.

***Edit***

mazelon on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    try putting your xbox into the DMZ, see if that gives issue.

failing that buy a router from a brand that makes routers, like, as their main source of income. Make sure this new router has a return policy, set it all up, see if it solves your problem. If it doesn't, return it. Then bitch at your ISP, if they're anything like my ISP they would have given you a shitty modem that's actually broken, hoping that you don't notice problems so they can cut the cost of giving you a working modem.

I went through 4 modems until a tech finally admitted that the modems they were giving me were shit, and he gave me one of the better ones.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Try replacing your router. Or flashing it with current firmware and do a hard reset to wipe all the current settings.

Basically, it looks like your router is faulty/failing.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    meh..... If the router is failing how come my computer works fine and the xbox dosn't?
    It really sounds like a DHCP thing to me. With all the devices going down it's sounding like 2 devices with the same IP adress are causing a conflict and locking up the network. This is something I see all the time at a friends house when his wireless router assigns the same IP address to his ps3 and his roomates computer. Whenever he turns on his Ps3 it takes down the home network. Could be something to do with you using your main computer as a hub/proxy for your xbox... Since both devices are through one connection that could cause some issues.

WAIT A MINUTE, if its a DHCP issue how would I fix this, I do have 2 devices sharing IP adresses this is exactly what happens, how would I fix it?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »

WAIT A MINUTE, if its a DHCP issue how would I fix this, I do have 2 devices sharing IP adresses this is exactly what happens, how would I fix it?

Bumped so this question can be answered! =p

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Bumped so this question can be answered! =p
    You can set your 360 to not use DHCP which is what I did. I have my 360 in my DMZ. So I just popped into the network settings and set all the stuff by hand. Which does include DNS servers and various other information obtained by typing "ipconfig /all" from a command line on a PC hooked up to the same network.

Grygonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    what exactly do I type in the command promt to find my MAC?

Orrr, is the physical adress and MAC the same thing Nevermind I'm stupid of course physical address is a MAC address nOWWW to cross my fingers and hope this works

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    meh..... If the router is failing how come my computer works fine and the xbox dosn't?

You may not really notice it under normal computer usage. When my parent's router was going it was most noticeable on my brother's xbox as he would randomly drop out of matches or be unable to join us. Normal internet usage seemed fine for them.

I finally convinced them to replace their router (by buying them a new one for Chistmas). My dad remarked the other day that surfing the internet seemed like it was much faster. My brother hasn't dropped out or had a problem joining games since.

focused7 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    focused7 wrote: »

You may not really notice it under normal computer usage. When my parent's router was going it was most noticeable on my brother's xbox as he would randomly drop out of matches or be unable to join us. Normal internet usage seemed fine for them.

I finally convinced them to replace their router (by buying them a new one for Chistmas). My dad remarked the other day that surfing the internet seemed like it was much faster. My brother hasn't dropped out or had a problem joining games since.

I seeeee.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My advice go out buy a new router and make sure to save the receipt. See if it fixes your problem. If not then return it.

focused7 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    focused7 wrote: »
    My advice go out buy a new router and make sure to save the receipt. See if it fixes your problem. If not then return it.

I'll try that in my list of things to try

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if you try a new router I recommend the Linksys WRT54GL... I've got two of them in my setup.. one downstairs with 3rd party firmware acting as a Wireless AP with 4 wired ports and one as the main router plugged into the cable modem upstairs. They are both excellent units.

Grygonos on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if you want to roll with caviar get a WRT350n and flash DD-WRT on it. big success.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, at the same time all of the computers in my house also gain some whiplash from the Xbox and cause all of them to disconnect until the Xbox itself can re-connect to the internet.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png