As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do your notes look like? (NO JINN DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CLASS NOTES)

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I've recently taken an interest in becoming a more regular blogger/editorialist. However, I find that while I think a great deal about, well, things, I have a hard time putting it into a readable, sensible format.

Perhaps one of the reasons I have such a hard time regularly writing for an audience is that I don't organize my thoughts very clearly. I mean, look at these notes:

1.13-whydoilovehiphop.gif

1.15-borntothebelonging.gif

They're very loose and disjointed. They are key phrases and statements that can recreate an entire train of thought for me, but that of course is of little to no use for you.

I am curious, friends, how do you organize your thoughts and notes? What is your writing process like?

My writing process for a real, heart and soul paper (not to be confused with Generic College Essay #14267 or Poast #8903732) tends to go something like this:

1) An idea is born. You know, I'm inspired by something. A book, a poem, a fine memory, a wall in a train station.
2) I'll spend a few days thinking about the subject. This often takes the form of me imagining what I would say - expouse - in a made-up situation. Perhaps I am discussing the subject with friends over coffee, or arguing with a thick-headed frat boy, or speaking to a large audience from a podium. <font size=2>"I dreamed I was Malcolm, or Martin in the pulpit."</font>
3) I'll start putting down everything to paper - an imagined phrase I particularly liked ("THE UNEXAMINED HIP-HOP"), or just a phrase to remind me of my thoughts. That's what you see above. This is largely to help me begin to organize my thoughts, to see connections, and simply to help me from losing anything. I think a lot of thoughts, but I'm also incredibly forgetful.
4) If I'm writing this for anything more formal than my journal, I'll then take those notes and make a more traditional outline out of it - you know, headings and paragraphs and all that jazz.
5) Then I type up the article.

Recognize that these are not hard-and-fast rules - they're just a recollection of how I tend to write.

And now I'm curious - how do you write? Are you more linear? Do you plan things out as much? Or do you tend to wing things? Or perhaps you do something else altogether?

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    *shits all over the place*

I'll see if I can find a scanner tomorrow.

Satan. on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If I'm taking notes for class, I follow a rigorous pattern of neatly printed and easily understood words complete with a meticulous system of underlining, boxing, and spacing to organize it all.

If I'm trying to scribble something down for myself to remember later, fuck it all. Sometimes there are more vague lines and shapes than actual words.

Today I tried to decode something I wrote last month that had literally been written with two lines of writing smack on top of one another.

Taximes on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    When I blog, I don't write for a particular audience. I write for myself. I find that it makes me sound more genuine, and thus my audience, i.e. people choosing to pay attention, are people I'd actually like to have as readers.

I rewrite a lot, and I speak out what I have written before publishing it.

I noticed that every time I write, the entry becomes shorter. I think the reason is that I hate clutter, and I'm obsessed with taking out unnecessary bits. I try to make my point while using as few words as possible, and I don't use a complicated word where a simple one can do (e.g. "first" instead of "initially", or "now" instead of "at this point in time", "person" instead of "individual", etc.).

I also never use words I would normally not use in conversation.

The link to my blog is in my sig if you're curious.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shouldn't it be Think Authentically?
    Since it's an understood You / Think / Authentic <---- should be an adverb
    Unless authentic is a predicate adjective renaming you, but that would mean your blog means you are authentic. :P I kid but still I question.
    My notes are hodgepodge and a chaotic mess that makes sense usually just to me.
    When I lend my notes I have to be there to translate.
    :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Philosophy:

notesqa5.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Philosophy:

notesqa5.jpg
    Those are my philosophy notes, except less words and more doodles.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    I also took a psychology class that was so boring that instead of taking notes, I just started writing down my thoughts, stream of consciousness style:
    notes2iz1.jpg
    notes3iy8.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Either you write really quickly or think slowly.

Even my typing cannot keep up with my stream of consciousness.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Unless authentic is a predicate adjective renaming you, but that would mean your blog means you are authentic. :P I kid but still I question.

Yeah but that doesn't rhyme.

Okay okay, I wasn't going for grammatical correctness.

Thanks for pointing it out though. :)

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ege02 wrote: »
    Either you write really quickly or think slowly.

Even my typing cannot keep up with my stream of consciousness.

Well it's a sort of controlled stream of consciousness, if that makes sense. I let my mind wander, and I try to write down most of it, but obviously I can't keep up with everything that pops into my head.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ege02 wrote: »

Yeah but that doesn't rhyme.

Okay okay, I wasn't going for grammatical correctness.

Thanks for pointing it out though. :)
    I had no idea that was your real name. :o
    I will read your blog at a later date. It looks interesting.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I only write in caps, so my notes appear to be very orderly and pretty. Much like the cake, it is a lie.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I am confused by the thread title.

when I take notes
    ..I do it like this
    ....because in high school my english teacher taught me this
    .......I forget what she called it but there was a special name

new subject!
    ..I write all my notes on my computer now
    .....sometimes I miss hand writing

(Replace the dots with spaces)

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I use indentation too when I take class notes on my laptop.

But I use bullet points.

ege02 on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Example:
    notes.png

Medopine on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My notes aren't nearly as structured as people's here. I very rarely, if ever use bullets. Most of my notes consist of arrows and lines pointing between points, and diagrams reinforced with words and what not to try and show relationships between concepts.

My philosophy notes look very similar to my math notes, actually.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893