As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Academy Awards 2008: Who will get the Oscar?

2»

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Hoffman was on fire in Charlie Wilson. No Country was similar to Fargo in that it was a Coen brothers film and you can see their directorial and screenwriting influences throughout.

Satan. on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    rchou wrote: »
    Nah, it's been a long time since either of those movies were out. They probably have a better chance than There Will Be Blood, simply because the Coens are much more recognizable than PT Anderson nowandays. I'm actually really suprised Michael Clayton made the list, but Charlie Wilson's War didn't.

I'm not surprised at Michael Clayton. It was a top notch film, and really ... felt like Oscar material.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Day-Lewis is pretty much a given for best actor, but I doubt Hoffman's going to get an Oscar that soon after his first.

He's one of my favorite actors, but I'm wary of the trend I've seen of actors winning Oscars then suddenly going off the radar or worse, winding up in terrible, terrible films.

If it goes to Tom Wilinson, it's just as good. I'd have trouble choosing honestly. Both were top notch.

shryke on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shit, between Hoffman, Bardem, and Wilkinson, it's a really tough call for Best Supporting Actor.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, of all the major and semi-major categories, the only movies I've seen are American Gangster (supporting actress) and Ratatouille (writing, original).

In fairness, though, a majority of the nominated movies in the major categories either didn't come to the theater here, or stayed for all of one weekend. The only ones of the majors (actor/actress, film, director) that I actually remember being at our local theater were Michael Clayton, Atonement, and maybe Elizabeth. EDIT: And many I can verify for a fact didn't come, because I wanted to see them and checked repeatedly on and after release...Sweeney Todd, No Country for Old Men, etc...
    Of course, many of you may remember me complaining over in the Sweeney Todd thread, so I guess I should stop. But seriously, the theater here sucks.

At least my moving to a bumfuck town with only one theater coincided nicely with the move towards releasing movies on DVD just a few months after they hit theaters. Off to go throw some of these in my Netflix queue before I forget.

mcdermott on