As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Heath Ledger

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TMZ has the video of them carting out his body. It's not Mary Kate's apartment, confirmed by NYPD. They are such fucking swine (TMZ not the cops)....too bad they don't walk to political beat.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    smells of River Phoenix.... Sucks....

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This might be the first celebrity death that I'm actually a bit shook up about. He wasn't old or anything...

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From what they're saying on the radio so far, it doesn't sound like a suicide to me. Apparently he was waiting for an appointment with a masseuse, his house-keeper went to tell him that the masseuse had arrived and found him dead. They are saying that the police suspect drugs are involved. Seems more like a very tragic accident, so far.

And I was very surprised. I liked Heath Ledger.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RIP Heath, you made us Aussies not all look like tools.

I really didn't see this coming.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, that's really too bad. I feel sorry for his kid and ex-wife.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Heath Ledger dead:
    PrivateEye-MediaToBlame-Small.jpg
    Is it even possible for you not to troll one fucking thread here?

What, it's against the rules to comment on the reaction rather than joining in the hair-tearing and wailing? No really, I'm just in shock and don't know how to deal with it.

The guy had a pretty priviledged life, took too many pills or topped himself, none of which elicits massive sympathy from me. Bad thing, oh well. A soldier died today. Thread please.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is pretty fucked up

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Heath Ledger dead:

What, it's against the rules to comment on the reaction rather than joining in the hair-tearing and wailing? No really, I'm just in shock and don't know how to deal with it.

The guy had a pretty priviledged life, took too many pills or topped himself, none of which elicits massive sympathy from me. Bad thing, oh well. A soldier died today. Thread please.

So the answer is no, then. Kay.

Medopine on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got a txt this morning from a friend about this. We used to send txts back and forth to each other about how stoked we were for The Dark Knight.

Normally, I don't give two shits about anything related to celebrities - at all - but this caught me by complete surprise and I actually found myself sad over it.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Heath Ledger dead:

So the answer is no, then. Kay.
    Yeah. Now he's on my ignore list with his other troll buddy KevinNash. Whatever, just another John Gabriel theory proof.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My sis decided to tell me right before class started. I had the over whelming urge to go "DUDE DO YOU GUYS KNOW HEATH LEDGER IS DEAD?!?!" but I held it in. My friends and I are pretty beat up about this. First Brad Renfro, now Heath Ledger. What the fuck. Now seeing the Batman movie is going to be awkward knowing that he won't be in any more sequels or ANYTHING.

Mim on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Candy was an excellent fucking movie. Colour me surprised.

Also I wonder if we would even have this thread had it not been for The Dark Knight?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, and he was engaged to Michelle Williams and they have a daughter, but him and Williams broke up in September. Everyone kept saying it was his ex-wife and I wanted to clear that up.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Candy was an excellent fucking movie. Colour me surprised.

Also I wonder if we would even have this thread had it not been for The Dark Knight?
    Yes, I think so. He was definitely a major young actor.

Satan. on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Weren't sarastro and not sarastro banned? Repeatedly?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wasn't a particular fan of Ledger, so this doesn't affect me more than the death of another stranger would, I'm afraid. It's a peculiar way to go for a successful celebrity, though - naked on his bed, overdosed on prescription pills? That's not the sort of thing you'd associate with a young, popular actor.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Weren't sarastro and not sarastro banned? Repeatedly?
    No, I'm not familiar with Sarastro in the first place though. NS has been infracted here and there and generally just likes shitting all over the place.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    I wasn't a particular fan of Ledger, so this doesn't affect me more than the death of another stranger would, I'm afraid. It's a peculiar way to go for a successful celebrity, though - naked on his bed, overdosed on prescription pills? That's not the sort of thing you'd associate with a young, popular actor.

Naked? I read just face down, no naked shennanigans. Though he was expecting his masseuse...

Satan. on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apparently it was an assortment of pills, not just one type.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Apparently it was an assortment of pills, not just one type.
    Link? If we're gonna keep doing this everyone, we need to link to shit and not just olol all over the place.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Here is a link to the main post about this on ONTD.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/19614168.html

It's an LJ celeb news journal and they are highly read and very fast with updates. That post has a timeline and a bunch of links to sources, as well as some pictures.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I saw it on that thing that's not the internet, the teevee.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Source it then. You know, something.

Satan. on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm just kind of wondering if it was really his doing...

Maybe he pissed off the scientologists. D:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Apparently he said once that his role as Joker was so intense he felt like it would kill him.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This was in the Dark Knight thread, but it should be in here too so you don't have to go bouncing all over. It's something to start with, I guess:

NEW YORK TIMES SOURCE

“I stressed out a little too much,” Mr. Ledger said. He tends to do that. He is here in London filming the latest episode of the “Batman” franchise, “The Dark Knight.” (Mr. Bale, as it happens, plays Batman; Mr. Ledger plays the Joker.) It is a physically and mentally draining role — his Joker is a “psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy” he said cheerfully — and, as often happens when he throws himself into a part, he is not sleeping much.

“Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night,” he said. “I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” One night he took an Ambien, which failed to work. He took a second one and fell into a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing.

Even as he spoke, Mr. Ledger was hard-pressed to keep still. He got up and poured more coffee. He stepped outside into the courtyard and smoked a cigarette. He shook his hair out from under its hood, put a rubber band around it, took out the rubber band, put on a hat, took off the hat, put the hood back up. He went outside and had another cigarette. Polite and charming, he nonetheless gave off the sense that the last thing he wanted to do was delve deep into himself for public consumption. “It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself,” is how he put it, a little apologetically.

Conducting a tour of the house, which he is renting for a few months, he made wry remarks about the art. One painting depicts a crowd of creatures who appear to be in hell, but who seem determined to extract as much sexual pleasure as they can from their eternity of free time; Mr. Ledger has turned another one around and hung it upside down, to no apparent ill advantage.

An open bag with clothes spilling out lay on the floor of the master bedroom. “I’m kind of addicted to moving,” Mr. Ledger said, perhaps on account of having had to shuttle back and forth after his parents’ divorce, when he was 11. He carries his interests around with him, and his kitchen table was awash in objects: a chess set, assorted books, various empty glasses, items of clothing. Here too was his Joker diary, which he began compiling four months before filming began. It is filled with images and thoughts helpful to the Joker back story, like a list of things the Joker would find funny. (AIDS is one of them.) Mr. Ledger seemed almost embarrassed that the book had been spotted, as if he had been caught trying to get extra credit in school.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    He was filming a different film and was done with TDK, you guys know that right?

Medopine on
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    He was filming a different film and was done with TDK, you guys know that right?

Yes but his role as joker stays with him forever. Always seeing himself, always seeing the madness, remembered. Disturbing.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like he needed to do some pot and be an accountant for a few months. :|

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I heard it first on the radio, while happening to be on the internet as well..

bychance on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You're advocating becoming an accountant as a remedy for suicidal tendencies? Seems counterproductive.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    10 things i hate about you is quite possibly one of my favorite movies ever

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    1NV1KT051NV1KT05 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It is quite sad to be sure. As an actor I can relate to the "role" being draining and exhausting--sometimes entrancing-- but "controlling" has never happened to me or any of my colleagues. Ledger must have been method, which in my social circles is considered to be sort of the "dark crafts" of acting. It's pretty damn intense.

1NV1KT05 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    1NV1KT05 wrote: »
    It is quite sad to be sure. As an actor I can relate to the "role" being draining and exhausting--sometimes entrancing-- but "controlling" has never happened to me or any of my colleagues. Ledger must have been method, which in my social circles is considered to be sort of the "dark crafts" of acting. It's pretty damn intense.

He was keeping a diary of crazy shit about the Joker, like things he'd find funny (ex - AIDS).

"Intense" seems to only graze the surface.

Still blows, he looked to be shaping into a really good actor.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You're advocating becoming an accountant as a remedy for suicidal tendencies? Seems counterproductive.

Not when you know that "After I've filed these tax returns I get to fuck supermodels."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So is there anything his sleeping medication can mix with to cause an accidental death, considering he had pneumonia and all?

Hoz on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So is there anything his sleeping medication can mix with to cause an accidental death, considering he had pneumonia and all?

Alcohol, but nobody mixes sleeping pills and liqor by accident.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The NYPD said the pills found were all over-the-counter, so he could've been taking pretty much any combination of anything.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png