As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Absolutely pointless celebrity 'news'...

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Obviously today has been dominated by the death of Heath Ledger (RIP), and the last few months mostly by the antics of Britney Spears. Now, apart from stories such as the untimely death of Heath Ledger and things involving celebrities doing things which come into the public domain (like committing a crime, etc), I really couldn't care less about celebrity gossip. People's private lives should remain private, unless something they are doing is deemed to be unacceptable by social norms and the law.

Which brings me to the most horribly POINTLESS piece of celebrity news I have ever ever seen. I was looking at a website, reading more about Heath Ledger, and came across the title of another article concerning a British singer named Lily Allen. Just as a bit of background for those who do not know who she is, it has recentley been reported that she had a miscarriage. Obviously this is very sad news, and was everywhere (not sure why, again, its a private matter I feel).
So, I scan down this list of stories, and this is the title I come across - "Lily Allen and lover purchase BMW".

SHOCK HORROR!

It is just the most pointless thing I have ever seen in my life! It's like having a serious news report about how Gordon Brown likes to put ketchup on all his food. In fact, this is even more stupid than that. Ooh, it just makes me so mad!

So, use this thread to discuss celebrity 'news' and gossip, and perhaps post some very stupid stories that you have found and just shaken your head at.

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just can't get my head around how bad a parent Britney would have to be to lose custody to an out of work dancer.

Gorak on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No matter how pointless this news may seem to you and I (and boy, do I find it pointless), the bottom line is that there is a sizable portion of the population that find it interesting and entertaining. If people didn't care about Britney Spears or Anna Nicole, it would be reflected in their actions and the news media would conform. If people weren't reading and buying The Enquirer, it would have gone out of business. If people didn't care about Perez Hilton, the site would have been down forever ago.

Just look at American Idol. It's more nonsense wrapped up for the public. Sure, the ratings are a lot lower on it than they used to be, but it is still kicking the televised ass of all of its competition.

And on another note, it's been shown that chimpanzees like looking at pictures of other chimpanzees that they feel are in a better social status than themselves. Take that for what it's worth (which is probably nothing).

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not gonna lie, I oppose this thread on principle.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg