As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going for Baroque! (wah wah wah waaaaaahhhhhh)

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
-ahem-

So, there is this game called Baroque on the horizon for the Wii (and PS2 too I suppose) coming out March 18th of this very year!

This game features a number of cool and groovy things such as Rifles, Swords, Parasites, Torture Devices, Wings and Fat Matronly Creatures with Gas Masks (or something).

game28.bmp
humminah humminah humminah.

Lets look at the story a bit.

The world of Baroque is one inhabited by twisted people. Meta-Beings, Angels, the Order of Malkuth, and the "Neuro Tower" are all tangled threads of the warped tapestry that is Baroque. (from the official site) (located Right Here)

ah, fighting fallen/twisted angles/humans. Now we're talking!

You are this fellow:

cut_01.jpg

We seem to be a bit blue, but I feel confident that we can take what ever happens to come our way.

But we'll need weapons to carry out our mission.

item_sword.jpg

oh there are some. Cool.

We'll also need to protect ourselves here.

item_coat.jpg

item_wing.jpg

ah ha! Although, I feel that a glass coat would do more harm then good.

All this killing (or purifying as we in Baroque land call it) is making me hungry. BRING VITTLES POSTHASTE!

list_03.jpg

Ahhhh delicious!

Ugh ..... I seem to have developed a stomach ache. Perhaps I have parasites galavanting about my digestive system?

item_parasite.jpg

Well, we'll have to visit the little purifiers room more often, but they seem to be helpful for the most part.

So, now lets start this adventurAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ikei20.jpg

This game seems like it could be pretty darn cool. Many things are presented in a way I haven't seen in a game before. Sure, stats and the increasing there of are present in many games, but I heven't seen them upped via parasite or holy wings or brands and the like. The enemies look intresting as does the over all story and style. I'm really looking forward to this one.

more info can be found in these locations:

Youtube Trailer
Official Site
IGN Stuffs

UPDATE

OK

this game has been out for many a month now and I have yet to be able to delve very far into it (owing to moving and Okami) dammit.

Let me add a little bit more information culled from various sites dammit.

First lets see What the Critics say.

well .... most game critics kind of panned this game. The player rank for this game, however, is quite high. I think this game is great. I was honestly curious to find out exactly what happened to this world and what made each character turn out the way they did god dammit.

Stuck in the damn game at all?

Here's a walk through god dammit

Curious about what items can kill or heal what?

Here is what items do what, dammit

I don't know how to do that thing where the youtube video shows up in the forums, so Here's a link to a nice long video, god dammit (edit: apparently it's just that easy dammit)

cut_11.jpg

god dammit.

Xaquin on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Looks pretty interesting, and it has the bonus of being released for a console I already own. Wish they had shown more then a few seconds of the actual gameplay on the YT trailer though.

Looks like someone on the art team has been reading Clive Barker though from the meta-beings.
    ikei06.jpg

see317 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's also made by the team that did Riviera and Yggdra Union, so that's pretty much assured quality right there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm getting it, no way I won't, but I can't decide on PS2 or Wii. Any indications on how the two versions differ? I'm leaning towards PS2 just because I'm not a huge fan of the Wii controller.

Looks like there might be some info here: http://gonintendo.com/?p=33587 but my internubs warden blocks it. Anyone wanna give the quick and dirty?

Magic Pink on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's a write-up of the old Baroque game (PS1/Saturn) here:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sting/sting2.htm

In case anyone's interested.

Red or Alive on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    You are this fellow:

cut_01.jpg

Good god, that is a terrible backstory/character. In a lot of cases I'm in the firm belief that if you don't have a good backstory/name for a character don't bother trying to create one, just have the character 'there' and figure out their motives and backstory along the way as you learn more about how the character acts, fights, etc.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Going for Baroque!

I really wish people would stop using this.

Sheep on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    Going for Baroque!

If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Going for Baroque!

Bawiioque?

Is that any better?

Khavall on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Going for Baroque!

Careful there, I think that may have been the straw that Baroque the camels back.

see317 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah the plot, premise, characters, etc, are some of the dumbest I've heard in a while. "has feelings of guilt at all times." That's some fourteen year old goth shit right there.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Going for Baroque!

Careful there, I think that may have been the straw that Baroque the camels back.

We'd better Bach off.

Because he was a Baroque composer. Get it? Anyone?

Khavall on
    edited January 2008
    You guys got to remember that this is a remake of a rogue like from a decade ago.

Sheep on
    edited January 2008
    You guys got to remember that this is a remake of a rogue like from a decade ago.

So?

Magic Pink on
    edited January 2008

Hopefully they'll fix the baroquen mechnics.

Khavall on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Remember kids, cook your hearts before you eat them and always wear your anti-lust wings

EDIT: anyone think 'blindless and lust' is a slightly ominuous combination to prevent? I guess he's always filled with guilt because he keeps forgetting to wear his anti-lust wings.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm getting it, no way I won't, but I can't decide on PS2 or Wii. Any indications on how the two versions differ? I'm leaning towards PS2 just because I'm not a huge fan of the Wii controller.

Looks like there might be some info here: http://gonintendo.com/?p=33587 but my internubs warden blocks it. Anyone wanna give the quick and dirty?

It just says this:

- NA release date: March 18th, 2008

- 16:9 Widescreen support

- Progressive Scan support

- Subtle motion control integration for power attacks

- Intuitive controls using Wii Remote and nunchuk

- Classic Controller support for traditional play

I'm glad it has Classic Controler support .... waggle is only good in some situations, and it really seems like this wouldn't be one.

edit: and I'll say going for Baroque till the cows come home!

Xaquin on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah the plot, premise, characters, etc, are some of the dumbest I've heard in a while. "has feelings of guilt at all times." That's some fourteen year old goth shit right there.

and the pain in his heart sometimes becomes to great to bear when his mind screams out in anguish but he cannot allow the fear inside to come to light because then the fear will turn to rage and he will have to face his inner demons as they cry out from the darkness but still his destiny lingers such that his mortal soul is rendered in a torturous circle unending and he cannot defend his friends from the fires of hatred and as his life comes to an end he realizes the truth which was always within him and at least he finds peace

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Going for Baroque!

We'd better Bach off.

Good idea; some of these puns are too hot to Handel.

Anti-Sean on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Going for Baroque!

You don't know what it's like in the office. I can barely stand all the Baroque puns, and the problem is they're always the same ones.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited January 2008

So?

So... complaining about story and characters in a rogue-like is stupid?
    You don't know what it's like in the office. I can barely stand all the Baroque puns, and the problem is they're always the same ones.

You won't believe how many news releases, story headlines, and how many forum posts have repeated it.

Sheep on
    edited January 2008

and the pain in his heart sometimes becomes to great to bear when his mind screams out in anguish but he cannot allow the fear inside to come to light because then the fear will turn to rage and he will have to face his inner demons as they cry out from the darkness but still his destiny lingers such that his mortal soul is rendered in a torturous circle unending and he cannot defend his friends from the fires of hatred and as his life comes to an end he realizes the truth which was always within him and at least he finds peace

eeehhhhh no more fanciful/strange/dumb then italian plumbers or the flood or intergalactic bounty hunters or etc. etc.

(but yeah, "feelings of guilt at all times" is pretty lame)

either way, the style looks cool and if the gameplay matches, then I anticipate enjoying this.

Xaquin on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anti-Sean wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Going for Baroque!

We'd better Bach off.

Good idea; some of these puns are too hot to Händel.

That's it, I'm busting out Pachelbel's Canon.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited January 2008
    Bursar wrote: »
    Going for Baroque!

Spice things up a little. Say something about Heath Ledger being in Baroque-back Mountain.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2008
    Bursar wrote: »
    Going for Baroque!

Spice things up a little. Say something about Heath Ledger being in Baroque-back Mountain.

That got a chuckle, but only cause I like you, Sporky.

Sheep on
    edited January 2008
    So the game looks like it should be fun.

edit: a little more information from Gamershell
    Features:
    Hardcore dungeon-crawling RPG action! With its many ever-changing levels, each teeming with perverse monsters and tormented souls, the world of Baroque is a frightening and unforgiving realm.
    Death is not the end - Take part in a unique story progression system in which the end of your life only serves to drive the adventure forward. Each time your character dies, more secrets about the forsaken world are revealed!
    Deep customization options – The player has full control over how they shape their character and how they play the game. Find and equip a vast assortment of weapons and items, some with a variety of uses. Acquire powerful stat-boosting parasites and combine them to multiply their potency. Only the resourceful will survive!

Xaquin on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah the plot, premise, characters, etc, are some of the dumbest I've heard in a while. "has feelings of guilt at all times."

"Since he was a little kid. Like seven."

It'd be contrived enough if he was depicted as feeling guilty all the time, but to specifically state it?

Might as well include 'smolders with generic rage' in an action hero's bio.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Features:
    Hardcore dungeon-crawling RPG action! With its many ever-changing levels, each teeming with perverse monsters and tormented souls, the world of Baroque is a frightening and unforgiving realm.
    Deep customization options – The player has full control over how they shape their character and how they play the game. Acquire powerful stat-boosting parasites and combine them to multiply their potency. Only the resourceful will survive!

The bolded bits give me a serious Etrian Odyssey meets Diablo feel. If that is even remotely on the mark I don't give two shits if the main character is a thirteen year old emo freak, I'll need a pair of new pants and a copy of this game.

Is there any word on how exactly the character customization/skill elements will work?

JihadJesus on
    edited January 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Features:
    Deep customization options – The player has full control over how they shape their character and how they play the game. Acquire powerful stat-boosting parasites and combine them to multiply their potency. Only the resourceful will survive!

The bolded bits give me a serious Etrian Odyssey meets Diablo feel. If that is even remotely on the mark I don't give two shits if the main character is a thirteen year old emo freak, I'll need a pair of new pants and a copy of this game.

Is there any word on how exactly the character customization/skill elements will work?

While I'm not 100% on character building aside from using parasites, brands, wings, and other items to boost stats, looking at just the inventory makes it seem like you have a lot of options for what you can add on to your character.

sys_ss_13b.jpg

I'll look around to see what else I can find.

Also, the item and random maps also gave me a diablo feeling. Which isn't a bad thing.

Xaquin on
    edited January 2008
    I found a bunch of Screens Here, and I have to say, Some of them look awesome and some look like complete ass.

It's kind of funny really.

Xaquin on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How can you feel guilt without knowing why you feel guilty. Wouldnt not knowing what you are suppose to feel guilty about negate any feelings of guilt.

Its like when your girlfriend/wife is going on off on you and you think your suppose to feel guilty about something but you have no effin clue since women are crazy and dont explain anything, so you dont feel any guilt and they just get madder.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2008
    darkmayo wrote: »
    How can you feel guilt without knowing why you feel guilty.

I understand that's what the story is about; this fellow trying to find out where from comes this feelin' o' guilt.

Magic Pink on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Remember kids, cook your hearts before you eat them and always wear your anti-lust wings

I laughed out loud at that. Sigged!

BlueDestiny on
    edited January 2008
    Whoa, every time you die the game progresses in some way? That sounds like a neat idea. Unless it's just something that will lead you to a good or bad ending and you have to play through the whole game without dying to see it.

UncleSporky on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You've clearly never met my mother.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2008

Or the Catholic church.

Magic Pink on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This had better come to PAL.
    For the Wii.

Xagarath on
  • StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    This had better come to PAL.
    For the Wii.

Okay, listen. I have a very demanding console craving here, and I cannot save up enough money to both buy games and consoles. So... the latter will happen sooner or later.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Or the Catholic church.

What about my Catholic mother?

D:

Taximes on
    edited January 2008
    Taximes wrote: »

Or the Catholic church.

D:

I hear she takes it up the episcopate YEAH I WENT THERE

Magic Pink on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Taximes wrote: »

Or the Catholic church.

D:

I hear she takes it up the episcopate YEAH I WENT THERE

Ouch - some folks mitre get upset abbot a joke like that.

Anti-Sean on