As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Français-speaker/Voltaire-knower requested

Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I stumbled across a fine quote purported to be the source behind "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," often mis-quoted as Voltaire. The actual author claimed that she was paraphrasing "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too," a statement (purportedly, again) written by Voltaire in his Essay on Tolerance.

I would love to find the original French quote of "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." The problem is, Wikiquote claims that such a quote is not found in the Essay on Tolerance, and Google searches turn up very little regarding the etymology of this phrase. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Voltaire or the French language in general, but if anyone here knows the scoop behind this quote--or could point me in the right direction towards finding some better answers--I'd much appreciate it.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
Seattle Thread on

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, French wiki told me this quote is an "apocryphe". Dunno if it's the same word in english but basically it means that the authenticity of this quote hasn't been proved.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The first time I heard that quote it was, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to YOUR death the right to say it". That made me chuckle.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Well, French wiki told me this quote is an "apocryphe". Dunno if it's the same word in english but basically it means that the authenticity of this quote hasn't been proved.
    Yes, they're essentially the same word, and I've been afraid it might indeed be apocryphal. Shame, though, since it's a really great quote.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png