As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I enjoyed the beginning and the farm episode, but already at the beginning of the prison arc my heart wasn't really in it any more. I think Kirkman's pretty good when it comes to plot, but I don't particularly like his way with language, especially for a comic.

Hrmm sounds like you've read enough to know if you're going to like it or not. I think it's great myself. I bought this on Amazon a while ago http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=pd_cp_b_0 and I could barely put the thing down. I think that's a compliment in itself. What kind of comics do you like? My only real complain is that is so depressing and horrible, which is pretty much the point of the comic.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    didnt reallize compendium 2 was out, might have tio get it

camo_sig.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    The Walking Dead is the antithesis for the It Gets Better campaign.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wow, has it really been six months since the big hype of #100?

#106, and some thoughts about the story since #100
    Negan is a good enough villain and clearly trying to be his own Nero while the world burns, but it feels like there's only so much you can do with him, and he almost crowds out the time per issue. I like seeing his fortress maximus and how their society works (the iron thing is tough) and would like to see more of that if they aren't going to be taken care of in the next few issues, which would be kind of refreshing, as there's a story to be told about people who have Stockholm Syndrome in a zombie world.

I kind of feel that Carl has run his course at least in terms of toughening him up and would like to seem him pushed back from the spotlight a bit, and see more of the others get more screentime. As much as Andrea is stupid in the TV show I'd like to see her get her time to be badass, take out Negan or something on page and not have it happen off panel.

And someone should really take up the food manager position other than Olivia, Negan was right about how it looks when one of the fattest people is guarding the food

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wow, has it really been six months since the big hype of #100?

#106, and some thoughts about the story since #100
    Negan is a good enough villain and clearly trying to be his own Nero while the world burns, but it feels like there's only so much you can do with him, and he almost crowds out the time per issue. I like seeing his fortress maximus and how their society works (the iron thing is tough) and would like to see more of that if they aren't going to be taken care of in the next few issues, which would be kind of refreshing, as there's a story to be told about people who have Stockholm Syndrome in a zombie world.

I kind of feel that Carl has run his course at least in terms of toughening him up and would like to seem him pushed back from the spotlight a bit, and see more of the others get more screentime. As much as Andrea is stupid in the TV show I'd like to see her get her time to be badass, take out Negan or something on page and not have it happen off panel.

And someone should really take up the food manager position other than Olivia, Negan was right about how it looks when one of the fattest people is guarding the food

I'll throw in my thoughts.
    I have been back and forth on if I like Negan or am meh on him. The more I see of him, the more I am liking.

Any speculation for the next issue and what Negan has done to Carl? I was just throwing out ideas with my friend.

-Took his other eye.
    -Killed him and made him a guard zombie.
    -Cut his hand off to be like his father.
    -Burned his face.
    -Made him dress like a girl and he is now with Negan.

I'd love to see Rick's group take out Negan and then Rick in turn becomes the next Negan. I really see Dwight (that was the burned face guy, right?) helping take down Negan from the inside. Unless he says he will but then turns on everyone or something. I dunno.

I would love to see Andrea get more screen time. I feel like she hasn't done much lately. I'd also like for them to explore Negan's little town a bit more if they are going to stick with this arc for a little.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Negan obviously has plans for Carl. Negan seems like he's going to fake Carl's death and try to turn him. I don't know how much more Kirkman can do to Carl, though.

Invisible wrote: »
    Negan obviously has plans for Carl. Negan seems like he's going to fake Carl's death and try to turn him. I don't know how much more Kirkman can do to Carl, though.

I could see that happening.
    You think they would fake his death and come back maybe a few weeks/months later? Maybe let Rick stew in his insanity/depression with someone new this time (instead of Carl) and come back to see his son corrupted.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I don't think they'll fake Carl's death. I think Negan will try to become a substitute father figure for Carl (doing the things that Rick is too 'weak' to do), and there will eventually be a showdown in which Carl chooses Negan over Rick, and then later on Carl goes back to Rick.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So I've just gotten in to this book. Been buying the trades and got to the end of the prison and...

I don't even know if I should keep reading. Like, I love it but, man.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    Keep going! There isn't anything else bad that happens. Trust me. It is all rainbows and lollipops and unicorns after that. ;)

bYf6vNQ.png
    For some reason I was getting bored with the last few issues (I think. I can't really remember.). I find it interesting where this is heading.
    Going by the "Next Issue" picture at the end of the issue, it looks like Ezekiel is some old, black guy with a tiger. Am I reading into that image wrong? Ha. Pretty sure I saw a tiger in the background. That would be...pretty insane.

Where do you think this is all going?

bYf6vNQ.png
    I don't know but I hope some where soon. Every issue is beginning to feel the same.

We need to kill Negan... But not yet. But soon. But not today.

He is interesting in a sadistic way, but I wish they'd expand the Rick plot beyond a bunch of hand wringing.

I wasn't interested in Negan at first, but now I almost want him to join the group. He is like a meaner Merle. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    except he's absolutely insane

steam_sig.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Easiest way to get rid of Negan,.. start liking him as a character, soon as enough people like him, he'll be dead in 3 issues.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I don't think we are supposed to like him though. Haha. I'm just sick. ;)

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, latest ish was pretty great.
    "Oh, by the way, he has a tiger."

Each issue keeps managing to have enough interesting stuff going on that I want to keep buying and keep looking forwards to the next one.

H9f4bVe.png
    I can't believe this forum isn't discussing the current story arc (All Out War).

Anyone pick up today's issue? Only 3 left in this whole double length arc.
    I feel a swerve coming. Maybe? Dwight was taking his good ol time getting zombie goo on his arrows. Maybe he didn't at all, knowing he would be shooting Rick's people? Killing Rick would be such a huge move. They do have plenty of people to carry on the comic though. Andrea, Michonne, Carl, Maggie, Jesus, Eugene, Sophia, Dwight (depending on who survives this arc).

Just had a thought. What if the guy leading Eugene and people out is bringing them to the Hilltop to execute them? Make them think they are escaping, but really just getting them to go along easier to their demise.

I still love Negan and will be super sad if/when he gets killed.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I can't believe this forum isn't discussing the current story arc (All Out War).

I feel a swerve coming. Maybe? Dwight was taking his good ol time getting zombie goo on his arrows. Maybe he didn't at all, knowing he would be shooting Rick's people? Killing Rick would be such a huge move. They do have plenty of people to carry on the comic though. Andrea, Michonne, Carl, Maggie, Jesus, Eugene, Sophia, Dwight (depending on who survives this arc).

Just had a thought. What if the guy leading Eugene and people out is bringing them to the Hilltop to execute them? Make them think they are escaping, but really just getting them to go along easier to their demise.

Just picked it up today. Reading up in the thread, wow this Negan stuff has been going on for ages. Might just take a break at the end of this arc and let some more trades come out, maybe re-read the earlier books.

As for the spoilers,
    Yeah, it felt like something big was going down, I kept expecting Negan to eat a stray round. The timing feels about right for Rick, though he presumably has these last three issues left.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    redfield85 wrote: »

Just picked it up today. Reading up in the thread, wow this Negan stuff has been going on for ages. Might just take a break at the end of this arc and let some more trades come out, maybe re-read the earlier books.

As for the spoilers,
    Yeah, it felt like something big was going down, I kept expecting Negan to eat a stray round. The timing feels about right for Rick, though he presumably has these last three issues left.
    Yea, they would be fine without him I think. I still have no clue what is gonna happen.

Is Dwight still helping them? What if he is and this shot kills Rick by accident? Does Carl or Andrea put him down? Does Eugene put him down for killing Abraham?

Obviously Negan is gonna get it because....well, just because. I hope he goes out in a great fashion. He deserves it.

I think I am rooting for Andrea, Jesus, and Eugene (after these last few issues) to live.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Negan has been such a fun character to read and so has All Out War. If this were pretty much anyone other than Kirkman I'd say the outcome is a forgone conclusion, but I really have no idea how this is going to play out. That said
    I'm not sure I see Rick, er, biting it. But if he does, I hope it ultimately clears the way for Carl to go all RDR on Negan after a long, drawn out period of life under his rule.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2014
    Negan's inarticulate schoolyard swearing always struck me as pretty dumb, but the moments where he defies expectations are worth it. It's not as easy to say of Negan that "we can't live with this guy" as it was with the Governor (comic version), and I like that.
    I think it was established back in the prison escape that no one has plot armor. Rick's a goner, it will just take three issues, maybe more. It's not like he got a full-on bite, and characters in the comics have limped along for a while even after one of those.

The story has gone on longer than Kirkman probably would've ever imagined it could last back when he started writing it, and nobody's luck holds forever when they're this much of a lightning rod both within their own communities and without.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Negan's inarticulate schoolyard swearing always struck me as pretty dumb, but the moments where he defies expectations are worth it. It's not as easy to say of Negan that "we can't live with this guy" as it was with the Governor (comic version), and I like that.
    I think it was established back in the prison escape that no one has plot armor. Rick's a goner, it will just take three issues, maybe more. It's not like he got a full-on bite, and characters in the comics have limped along for a while even after one of those.

The story has gone on longer than Kirkman probably would've ever imagined it could last back when he started writing it, and nobody's luck holds forever when they're this much of a lightning rod both within their own communities and without.

Obviously I could be wrong but
    I don't think Rick is going to die - Dwight is likely faked gunking up his arrows. I know they keep hyping up this big change that's going to occur but I think it's going to be something else. I bet he's going to start to add a direction to the book. Something like an indication of a cure or some sort of change in the virus (maybe someone dies and doesn't change - or someone is immune to a bite). Maybe an indication of some sort of larger organized presence (like they see an air raid or something). I don't know - maybe Rick's just gonna die.

Obviously I could be wrong but
    I don't think Rick is going to die - Dwight is likely faked gunking up his arrows. I know they keep hyping up this big change that's going to occur but I think it's going to be something else. I bet he's going to start to add a direction to the book. Something like an indication of a cure or some sort of change in the virus (maybe someone dies and doesn't change - or someone is immune to a bite). Maybe an indication of some sort of larger organized presence (like they see an air raid or something). I don't know - maybe Rick's just gonna die.
    Yea, we have no clue what is in store for us. I really would love a big shake up. Take a break from a big baddy for the next arc.

As for Negan and his swearing....that is the best part! Well, maybe not the best part, but I surely enjoy the randomness of his cursing.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Negan's been a decent villain, though I hate him as a character and hope he dies horribly. Unlike the governor, Negan doesn't try to cloak his abhorrent traits. He's like a crappy, Genghis Khan wanna-be.

I think the last major type of antagonist you could come up against in the Walking Dead world would be a revived, organized government. A 'new United States' type organization, some remnant of the government that never fell, but maintained enough authority over survivors to sort've trundle along. Probably full of manipulative, power-hungry officials who imagine rebuilding the USA in their image. They'd suck people into their influence through the promise of things going back to the way they were before the disease, only for those people to slowly realize they've become indentured serfs or some such thing.

Another possible one might be a religious fanatic with a following of fervent believers - you could work that into the above government remnant idea somehow as well, though.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I think the last major type of antagonist you could come up against in the Walking Dead world would be a revived, organized government. A 'new United States' type organization, some remnant of the government that never fell, but maintained enough authority over survivors to sort've trundle along. Probably full of manipulative, power-hungry officials who imagine rebuilding the USA in their image. They'd suck people into their influence through the promise of things going back to the way they were before the disease, only for those people to slowly realize they've become indentured serfs or some such thing.

Let's talk about government, shall we? Or, more specifically, YOUR government, dear America... the Enclave. Just who is the Enclave? Why, now, that's simple. The Enclave is you, America. The Enclave is your sister, your aunt, your friend, your neighbor. And, well, yes. The Enclave is me, as well. As your President, it's my responsibility to preside over our great democracy. So, as your President, I am the voice, I am the heart and soul of the Enclave. That is to say, I am the voice, heart, and soul of America. But only together, TOGETHER, can we hope to reach our full potential. The way we were before the war. Whole. Beautiful. Powerful. One Enclave. One America. Now, and forever.

Ahem.
    FUCK! YES! Goodbye, asshole!

I had a lot of fun reading Negan, but he had to go and I'm glad Rick was the one to do it. That was some boss Big Brother-type maneuver by Rick too. Getting Negan to believe in the cause and realize the error of his ways, and then *svaash!*

steam_sig.png
    I dunno.
    I felt like Negan was playing him too. Or that maybe it was unrealistic in that Negan would give a fuck. Maybe I just don't want to believe he can be weak and don't want him to die. Ha.

Anyway, it is a dark day in the Walking dead universe. :(

So, Rick slits his neck and then Maggie comes over next issue to shoot him?

And with what Rick said to Negan, I think that happens now. And Dwight will 100% become Daryl. Ha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    #125 spoilers:
    Negan was obviously on some kind of medication before the outbreak, or at least he desperately needed to be. He swings between abhorrently crazy and genuinely reasonable way to much to not have some kind of mental problem.

In spite of how much Rick's ideas would actually have worked, there's no way they would have worked in the long run with someone like Negan - even if he hadn't done all of the horrible crap he's done specifically to his erstwhile allies, he's too damned unstable to be in charge of any element of such an alliance.

So yeah, ding dong and so forth. Hope that's not just a nick and 126 opens with some major arterial spray, I don't want him to linger on long enough to cause more damage.

H9f4bVe.png
    #125 spoilers:
    Negan was obviously on some kind of medication before the outbreak, or at least he desperately needed to be. He swings between abhorrently crazy and genuinely reasonable way to much to not have some kind of mental problem.

In spite of how much Rick's ideas would actually have worked, there's no way they would have worked in the long run with someone like Negan - even if he hadn't done all of the horrible crap he's done specifically to his erstwhile allies, he's too damned unstable to be in charge of any element of such an alliance.

So yeah, ding dong and so forth. Hope that's not just a nick and 126 opens with some major arterial spray, I don't want him to linger on long enough to cause more damage.
    Negan was about two seconds away from telling Rick one of two things. Either, "nice plan, asshole, we might even run with it, but you won't live to see it." Or, "I've got a better idea, how about I bash your head in with Lucille and we go back to doing things my way." Rick just struck first. And I don't buy for a second that he missed the main cables with that slash. Just because the last panel doesn't have a Kill Bill fire-hydrant-neck effect, it doesn't follow that Negan's got any more lines in this comic than *gurgle*splurgle*THUD*

#125 spoilers:

Negan was about two seconds away from telling Rick one of two things. Either, "nice plan, asshole, we might even run with it, but you won't live to see it." Or, "I've got a better idea, how about I bash your head in with Lucille and we go back to doing things my way." Rick just struck first. And I don't buy for a second that he missed the main cables with that slash. Just because the last panel doesn't have a Kill Bill fire-hydrant-neck effect, it doesn't follow that Negan's got any more lines in this comic than *gurgle*splurgle*THUD*
    Next issue will make me so sad. At least we will get to see Negan one more time. :(

Also, that idea about him being medicated or something is something I have NEVER thought of. Maybe he WAS actually going to go along with Rick. Maybe he was in a stable state of mind? We will find out soon either way.

I have no clue wtf is to come. I can't wait.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Well that was pretty anticlimactic.

Anybody else get the sense that next issue is going to essentially be a reboot with new characters?

Well that was pretty anticlimactic.

Anybody else get the sense that next issue is going to essentially be a reboot with new characters?

Not at all, but I think there's a good chance the title won't focus solely on Alexandria from here on. Unless that's what you meant, which in that case I guess so.

steam_sig.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Haha, taking a single issue to get to a reboot? did this last arc teach you nothing?

It'll be 10 issues before we even know what happens the next day after all this

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Remember, next issue is double sized. Also, the last arc was double in length or so because they released them about 2 a month (give or take). So they had time to go slow with the days.

Also,
    FUCK YES. I am so happy Negan is still alive.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I'm still betting on a time jump next issue. Perhaps with a mix of new/old characters.

You really think? That could definitely make sense with how things are left.
    We get a Negan that is still in jail. We get an older Carl. We get towns that have grown and developed and thrived.

Even if they do do that, I have no clue what issues could come up besides some corrupt government type stuff (which we have no clue if something like that is happening since there aren't hints of that). I am excited for the double size issue. I think next week it comes out.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Given how the All-Out War arc ended up, I'd looove a significant time-leap forwards. I don't need to see anyone's grandkids grown up, but this'd be the first time in the series that we get a 'X Years Later...' moment.

H9f4bVe.png
    And it wouldn't have to be a giant leap either. What? 5? 7 years?

bYf6vNQ.png
    So, on the Walking Dead site, they didn't post a preview for this week's issue. Now people are all about the time jump idea. Who knows though? A double sized issue could still be the results of the war for half and the future in the other. Either way, one day away. I can't wait.

bYf6vNQ.png