As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Custom ringtones for mah new phone

Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of NothingJust a ShowRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

I just upgraded to a new phone since my Verizon account allotted me a $100 discount that had been sitting around doing nothing for over a year.

I wound up getting a Samsung Gleam (u700), mostly because it was the most expensive phone I could get without actually paying any real money.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone can educate me on how I would go about creating mp3's, wav's, etc that I could load into my phone to use as a ringtone. I'm not even sure that this is possible (I've heard tell that Verizon are bastards about this), but if I can do it, I'd like to try.

Any advice?

Vargas Prime on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do you have a usb cable for the phone? If so, you should be able to just clip an mp3 as desired and drop it on there and use it as a ringtone (I think most of the verizon phones allow this, I don't work a whole lot in dealing with the phones hands on).

If not or if that doesn't work, you can go to http://www.3guppies.com/ (used to be mixxer.com). They've got a deal where you upload an mp3, wav, whatever and then use a flash app to crop it as needed. They will then convert it to the correct format for your phone and deliver it to you. They will deal with the mms packaging (or more likely their aggregator does) which is the pain in the ass part of getting a ringtone onto a verizon phone.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, I'll try that. I don't have the USB cable for the phone yet, but I'll probably pick one up soon. For now, I'll see if I can work that site you linked.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    I use Bitpim to transfer stuff to my Verizon phone. I don't know exactly if your phone is supported, but a quick google search makes it look likely.

If you have Bluetooth in your computer you can send stuff that way, otherwise you'll need a USB cable.

As for cutitng down MP3s and stuff, I use Audacity.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, I tried 3guppies.com yesterday, made my clip and sent it to my phone. Once the process was done, the site warned me that Verizon's been "slow" in delivering the tones, but assured me that it was "on it's way."

Anyway, it's been almost 24 hours now and I still haven't gotten it, so I'm not sure if it worked or not. I think I'll go get a bluetooth attachment for my computer so I can try doing it at home.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, 24 hours is way slow. I work with delivering content to phones and did some testing of delivery to verizon yesterday and everything I did showed up within minutes. I'd try again sometime if you're bored. It's free after all, so if it never shows, no big deal.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Do you know if creating an account on the site helps? I tried it as a one-off yesterday, without even creating one of their free logins, and I doubt it would change anything if I created an account, but I figured I'd ask.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It wouldn't matter unless 3guppies is giving preference to people who have an account, which doesn't seem likely. I have an account, though, never tried it without an account to see what happens.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Alright, well I tried it again, and it's been a little while, and it still hasn't come through. Maybe it's a problem with the Gleam (u700)?

I actually had trouble yesterday also when a friend of mine was trying to send me an mp3 via Bluetooth. The connection wasn't taking even though our devices found each other, and the song never came through. We tried 3 or 4 times. We couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    strange. I've got one idea as to what might be the case. I'm not sure how you can verify, though. The majority of companies sending sms/mms in the US use an aggregator called MBlox. MBlox receives a list of phone numbers that have been disconnected and will not send texts to that number. I've seen in the past where someone got a new phone number, but that number was on the disconnect list from when the last person who had it cancelled, and so they didn't get texts from any service using MBlox.

I can ask around and see if we have any way of checking that. Clearly we used to at one point since we did for that guy (who was an employee here). I'm assuming you kept your same phone #, so I'm not sure this is the case, but the symptoms fit.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have used phonezoo.com in the past for creating ringtones. You upload an MP3 to their site, it lets you edit it how you wish and then it sends it to your phone via txt message with attachment. Works great.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    I'm assuming you kept your same phone #, so I'm not sure this is the case, but the symptoms fit.

Yeah, I activated the new phone using the same phone number.

I tried to upload the same tone and send it to a friend's phone just now, and he got it in a matter of minutes. He doesn't have Verizon, though. But if 24 hours is much longer of a delay than the 3guppies site was talking about, then it's got to either be something with the phone or my service.

My phone's set to accept all incoming messages, or bluetooth connections from my friend's phone, but it's still not working. Stupid technology...

**Edit - Could it be because I don't have a data plan built in as part of my subscription with Verizon? I can still access the internet, but it's on a pay-per-use basis. I have no idea if this would affect me receiving the message or not, but I'm grasping here.

Vargas Prime on