As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Board games for the young professional.

Lave IILave II Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm not massively into board games but the GF like them, so I thought I would pick one up for her birthday for an added surprise. Anyone got any suggestions? Pref on which can be played with a small number of people. 2 - 4.

What we've got:

Risk : It's a classic right.
Monopoly : " " " "
Scrabble : " " " "
War on Terror : A gimicky take on risk that's surprisingly good once you've got past the high learning curve.
Some Lord of the Rings game from yonks back : That features "Fatty" and has nothing to do with the movies. She likes it a lot, but otherwise really geeky stuff is out.

Feel free to get some general board game talk going - I feel we forget about games that aren't on a screen...

(Also would have dug up an old thread, but search has abandoned me).

Lave II on

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    www.boardgamegeek.com

And get Puerto Rico.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Settlers of Catan (also available on Live if you're lazy, but you can't customise your board on there).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oooh, cheers I'll have a looksy.

She remembers playing a game when she was young that was probably Settlers of Catan. I may get her that...

People ocassionaly go mad for it here I think, but seems a bit to heavy for my liking....

Lave II on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since Settlers is already mentioned, also look into Robo Rally.

Doronron on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone know any good 2 player board games?

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    j0hnz3r wrote: »

I would like to know this too.

Most board games completely fall apart with just two people.

Lave II on
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's also big tournaments for Settlers. I know there's one every year at GenCon in Indy.

Two player board games? Chess, checkers, Connect Four?

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    Oooh, cheers I'll have a looksy.

She remembers playing a game when she was young that was probably Settlers of Catan. I may get her that...

People ocassionaly go mad for it here I think, but seems a bit to heavy for my liking....

Settlers isn't that heavy, but I will admit that I like the convenience of Live for not having to remember to hand out resource cards for the dice rolls every turn. There are the expansion packs that do up the content quite a bit, and that put me off the first time I tried playing with them, but it wasn't too bad once I got going.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does she have any preferences? Experience? Does she like complicated stuff? Lots of "Take that bitch" kind of aggressiveness? That'd help narrow it down at bit.

Carcassonne is good for 2 players. Fun with more too, but it gets a little slow at 4 or 5. Either get the original with a few expansions (Inns and Cathedrals and Trader and Builder) , or grab Hunters and Gatherers or Ark of the Covenant if you want an all-in-1 package.

Settlers of Catan is always good, but doesn't play well with only 2. Expansions (The knights one specifically) can turn it into a more aggressive and longer game if you enjoy it enough already.

Lost Cities: Alot of people love this 2 player game. I'm not the biggest fan, but YRMV.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
    is like Stratego, but better. Quick too. It's a good 2 player game.

I can start throwing out way more recommendations if you narrow the field a bit with what kind of stuff she'd like.

Also, give Settlers a try IRL, it's really not that bad. If it still feels complicated to you, that cuts down alot of the longer and more complicated titles (ie - the kind I love).

shryke on
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

In the order that I would recommend them:

- Lost Cities is two players only and excellent
    - Ticket to Ride (North America map) plays well with as few as 2 and as many as 5
    - Settlers of Catan, but not for two players
    - Puerto Rico was mentioned, but again, the two player variants are not that great
    - Carcassonne is a little too random for my tastes, but decent

I hear Memoir '44 is a great two player game if you can get past the war theme, but haven't played it myself.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Carcassonne. It becomes very difficult to have any real strategy once you have more than 2 people playing, but with two people it's great.

Guillotine is also a tremendously fun and easy-to-teach card game that works decently with 2 people but seems to be optimal at 4.

Binary on
    binary101010.jpg
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm not massively into board games but the GF like them, so I thought I would pick one up for her birthday for an added surprise. Anyone got any suggestions? Pref on which can be played with a small number of people. 2 - 4.

What we've got:

Risk : It's a classic right.
    Monopoly : " " " "
    Scrabble : " " " "
    War on Terror : A gimicky take on risk that's surprisingly good once you've got past the high learning curve.
    Some Lord of the Rings game from yonks back : That features "Fatty" and has nothing to do with the movies. She likes it a lot, but otherwise really geeky stuff is out.

Feel free to get some general board game talk going - I feel we forget about games that aren't on a screen...

(Also would have dug up an old thread, but search has abandoned me).

Diplomacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29

Though you might not stay friends once done.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Omega Virus was fun, back in the day.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    The Omega Virus was fun, back in the day.

The only good part about The Omega Virus is that it remains the only game ever to call you "Human Scum". Sadly, few games have risen to this lofty goal.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys!
    shryke wrote: »
    Does she have any preferences? Experience? Does she like complicated stuff? Lots of "Take that bitch" kind of aggressiveness? That'd help narrow it down at bit.

Sorry, I'll elaborate. She really likes playing multiplayer games with people. Card games, board games, so stuff thats evolving and fun. Aggresiveness and hyper-competitive games are not really the aim. The main thing is when were both stuck for something to do she'ld like to play a board game so a 2 player game with depth but short would be perfect, but not one with expansions and so on. Maybe an hour to play? Complicated to play is cool - but loads of little pieces and set up time isn't what we are looking for.

Christ that is vague - sorry - but to be honest I'm not a big board game fan so I'm not really that informed, but I would like to get her something she'ld like.
    Carcassonne is good for 2 players. Fun with more too, but it gets a little slow at 4 or 5. Either get the original with a few expansions (Inns and Cathedrals and Trader and Builder) , or grab Hunters and Gatherers or Ark of the Covenant if you want an all-in-1 package.

Lost Cities: Alot of people love this 2 player game. I'm not the biggest fan, but YRMV.

Hmm, both these seem possible...

Lave II on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you can reliably have at least 3-4 people (as opposed to two), I would HIGHLY recommend Killer Bunnies.

Insanely fun card game.

Web site: www.killerbunnies.com

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys!
    shryke wrote: »

Sorry, I'll elaborate. She really likes playing multiplayer games with people. Card games, board games, so stuff thats evolving and fun. Aggresiveness and hyper-competitive games are not really the aim. The main thing is when were both stuck for something to do she'ld like to play a board game so a 2 player game with depth but short would be perfect, but not one with expansions and so on. Maybe an hour to play? Complicated to play is cool - but loads of little pieces and set up time isn't what we are looking for.

Christ that is vague - sorry - but to be honest I'm not a big board game fan so I'm not really that informed, but I would like to get her something she'ld like.

So short, not too aggressive and not too complicated?

Ticket to Ride
    : Simple, fairly fun, bright colours. It's a good game. Plays well with 2+ also.

Through the Desert
    : I think it plays well with 2 players. It's a little on the dry side for my taste (it's sorta like Go, but simpler), but it's short AND is chock full of plastic pastel-coloured camels!

Citadels: Not a 2 player (well, technically it is, but doesn't play too well that way), but still lots of fun. Very simple, but interesting.

Memoir '44: Someone mentioned this earlier. It's like a simple, 2 player wargame played mostly with cards. Can be kind of fun (there's a fantasy medieval version called Battlelore too, that's a bit more complex). I'm not a big fan, and set up time can be longish, but it's quick and simple otherwise.

Samurai: Another dry but simple one (by the same guy as through Through the Desert). Can be lots of fun if you like this sort of thing.

Your a little outside my area of expertise, but I'll do a little digging. Don't let my comments put you off, these games are all good providing of course you enjoy that type of game. I like my games long and aggressive and not dry (I don't like Chess or games like that). But I know enough to suggest some good ones for you.

Also, if you need better descriptions, I would be happy to provide.

shryke on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Card games: Uno and Five Crowns.

Board games: Cranium.

Party games: Catch Phrase.

2 player games: You got me...

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wanna lose an eye? Crossbows and Catapults

GungHo on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cranium and Trivial Pursuit (90's edition so I have an idea wtf is going on) are great party games. In addition, both lend themselves to drinking game counterparts quite easily.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Wanna lose an eye? Crossbows and Catapults

I've got that. It's called Siege on my box though.

That cannon is a pirate-maker. It's a game for the parent who loves that "eyepatch" look on their kids, but can't get them to wear it voluntarily.

shryke on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zombies!!! and its expansions gets my vote. Works quite well with two players but more is better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombies%21%21%21

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cullen wrote: »
    Zombies!!! and its expansions gets my vote. Works quite well with two players but more is better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombies%21%21%21

Try this first. It seems fun but gets really old really fast. There are better zombie board games out there.

Last Night On Earth and Fury of Dracula could be fun for 2.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm a bit of a board game geek, and I can definitely give you some good recommendations. True, most multi-player games fail when played with only two. Therefore, check out these great 2-player games (all of which I've played with my wife, many times)-

Ticket to Ride: Switzerland - Plays only with 2-3 players. It's technically an expansion, so you need some bits form one of the other games (like vanilla TtR), but you ought to have one of those anyway, for more players. If you want an all-in-one 2-player TtR game (that doesn't require bits from other games), there's "TtR: The Nordic Countries," but it's only available in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. It's a good game, too, but not too easy to get.

Battle Line - by GMT games. Awesome little logic card game. A favorite for my crew. The theme may be off-putting, but the gameplay is amazing.

Pick and Pack - by Z-Man games. Another great little game for 2-players only.

Jambo - by Rio Grande games. Shared deck, no deck-building, but feels almost MtG-ish in the combos you can build. Quite fun, and again, 2-player only.

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper - somewhat morbid subject (shared by the also-great 2-player game "Mr. Jack"), and at first you think, "Rummy? I played that when I was 6."...but once you get in, it's an awesome game. 2-players only.

1960: The Making of the President - Now, this one is a little meatier. It'll take a couple hours to play through (most of the otehr games on this list play in 30-45 minutes max), but if your girl has an interest or appreciation for politics or history, this is a homerun. Great game, but may take some effort to get your head around. 2-player only.

Hera & Zeus - Has a bit of a Stratego-ish feel to it, but it's a ton of fun. Can get quite tense at times (in a good way). 2-player only.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - Even more Statego-ish, but also very cool (esp. if you guys are LOTR fans). Each side has completely unique pieces and ways to win the game, but it's not difficult to get your head around. Highly recommended. 2-player only.

...and if you want a 2-player only version of Carcassonne, check out Carc: The Castle.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I watched a friend of mine play Zombies, and it piqued my interest. It looked really fun.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I watched a friend of mine play Zombies, and it piqued my interest. It looked really fun.

It is. For a bit. Then the rules questions pop up and the repetiveness sinks in.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ZOMBIES!!! is an awesome game and the expansion packs are equally awesome.

As of now I think there is

Zombies!!! Core Game
    Zombies!!! Corpse (Military base expansion)
    Zombies!!! Mall-walkers (Shopping Mall expansion)
    Zombies!!! 4 (which I think was a forest with a log cabin, that had a sub-goal to collect pages of the necronomicon and destroy the curse which has caused the zombies)
    then there is also a Zombies college campus expansion and a zombies sewers expansion.

The game itself is pretty much infinitely expandable, if you have enough floorspace and zombie tokens (which you can buy by the bag-full) so if you're looking for a bitching board game, Zombies!!! is it.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Can I anti-recommend Zombies!? Pretty please?

I totally get the theme, and enjoy zombies as much as the next guy, but there isn't much, if any, actual gameplay there. It's largely random, and the game can drag on forever.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It is. For a bit. Then the rules questions pop up and the repetiveness sinks in.

This may be true. I wonder if it's based on the number of players. He had about 6 people playing.

urahonky on
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

This may be true. I wonder if it's based on the number of players. He had about 6 people playing.

I recommend Attika as a quick paced 2-4 player board game. My wife is a Catan addict but when our friends all come over and the idea of a 4+ hour board game gets thrown down most people opt to play warhammer instead ;)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8051

alqadim on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We usually play with 4 players, and any kind of "rule argument" we've come to mutual agreements with so the game works really well.

We forge alliances, betrayal's, steal jeeps, use rocket launchers, etc. etc. etc.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I will reinforce what many have said already - Carcassonne and Catan. My wife likes both, though prefers Carc (sans Farmers). She is not into board games so the fact she likes these speaks volumes about their quality and accessibility for the non-boardgame geek. Puerto-Rico is great too, but she doesn't like it because it requires too much concentration (game time for us is heavy on social and very light on competitiveness). I've not played it with her yet, but I suspect that Ticket to Ride will be acceptable too as it has simple rules.

Obviously, if you are not "into" boardgames (at least as much as she is) then read up on these to make sure you will enjoy them too. If you don't enjoy them and won't play them their value to her will be quite a bit less. Look for video online of people playing them to get a good sense of how it all works in a real game (does boardgamegeek.com have video?), or possibly visit your local game shop and see if you can get a game going to try it.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    alqadim wrote: »

I recommend Attika as a quick paced 2-4 player board game. My wife is a Catan addict but when our friends all come over and the idea of a 4+ hour board game gets thrown down most people opt to play warhammer instead ;)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8051

4 hours for a game of Catan? The only flavor of Catan I can think that would take anywhere close to that would be 6-player Cities & Knights, which isn't a game I'd recommend playing. Vanilla Catan, 4-players, ought to be done in 60-90 minutes max.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm gonna anti Catan mainly because it's almost all luck. And that is fun, really, but the game will never really change.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bloomin' Eck - you've all jumped out of the wood work! Can't really post much more for today, so HUGH thanks for all the help so far.

I'll be looking through this lot and picking something good. Currently I'm thinking Vanilla Cascscococncoceeecooene looks fun. Or that 1960's president thingy.

I've a while before her birthday to work it out.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    ZOMBIES!!! is an awesome game and the expansion packs are equally awesome.

As of now I think there is

Zombies!!! Core Game
    Zombies!!! Corpse (Military base expansion)
    Zombies!!! Mall-walkers (Shopping Mall expansion)
    Zombies!!! 4 (which I think was a forest with a log cabin, that had a sub-goal to collect pages of the necronomicon and destroy the curse which has caused the zombies)
    then there is also a Zombies college campus expansion and a zombies sewers expansion.

The game itself is pretty much infinitely expandable, if you have enough floorspace and zombie tokens (which you can buy by the bag-full) so if you're looking for a bitching board game, Zombies!!! is it.

The core game is merely average.

The military base, campus and mall expansion do nothing but make the game longer. They're ridiculously worthless.

4 would have been interesting but the board pieces are completely empty and you get chased around by dogs. It should have been much better.

The only good expansions are 3.5, which is just extra cards and 6 which actually adds some travel options to make the game shorter.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bloomin' Eck - you've all jumped out of the wood work! Can't really post much more for today, so HUGH thanks for all the help so far.

I'll be looking through this lot and picking something good. Currently I'm thinking Vanilla Cascscococncoceeecooene looks fun. Or that 1960's president thingy.

I've a while before her birthday to work it out.

VIDEO!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=cRrwCpviuhY (most games I play 2 player don't take half as long as the 1.5 hour game in this video)

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Currently I'm thinking Vanilla Cascscococncoceeecooene looks fun.

Carcassonne is a good choice. It is relatively inexpensive, easy to learn, and good game overall. Just avoid the expansions, because they turn fun and simple into real time-hog, and add rather clunky mechanics that really don't fit well (IMO, of course) into core rules. And you can't really remove expansions after you have mixed the tiles together.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    clue?

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Can I anti-recommend Zombies!? Pretty please?

I totally get the theme, and enjoy zombies as much as the next guy, but there isn't much, if any, actual gameplay there. It's largely random, and the game can drag on forever.

/agreed

shryke on