As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week 01/30/08 - Arkham Inmates Have the Ability to Instill Great Fear

• Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    From Black Adam #6, or as I like to call it..
    Faust is the most evil cunt around.

I mean, first he sends Teth on this quest to recover the pieces of the amulet...then swaps out Isis' bones for Ralph Dibny's. Then he tricks Teth into believing that he failed by using up too much of Isis' power, and then walks off with the mans lady after he blew the hell out of there!

No. He. Friggin'. Di'int.

I mean, we pretty much knew the eventual outcome, but still. Sick burn.

You forgot:
    He also faked a trance state so he could make BA think Isi was condemming him from beyond the grave.

KVW on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I totally called Tigra in the NA annual

called it

What happened?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Pffftttthahahahhahaahhahaa!!

"He'll never guess!"

Oops!
    It's even funnier that he'll have to say that every time.
    I will slaughter all you weak bags of flesh! Your childrens children will cry when they hear of your crys in the anals of satans anus! (there's a reason I read comics and not write them) CHOCOLATE EGG CREMES!

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I totally called Tigra in the NA annual

called it

What happened?
    She follows The Hood's gang to Strange's Sanctum and joins the fight, laying some smackdown onto The Hood just as he was about to kill Iron Fist

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, no one is mentioning a big reveal in Green Lantern. We now know who will be one of the Guardians for the Black Lantern Corps. If not, that's a hell of a red herring Johns is putting out there.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think she's just being used, I don't think she'll be a Black Lantern Guardian.

Oh yeah, ACTION COMICS was awesome this week as well. Between Y, Action, Black Summer, Green Lantern, and the Alex Ross Superpowers thingee, it was a great week for comics.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sooo Avengers the Intiative
    Did they just kill off a whole bunch of people? Cause some of the wounds KIA delt out look fatal.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Probably. I'm pretty sure KIA killed off at least the three or four nobodies that were introduced last issue. That was a pretty funny exchange between him and Taskmaster.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Bobby Drake, Peter Parker, and Johnny Storm discussing Nick Fury's eye patch in Ultimate Spider-Man #118:
    usm118.jpg

My anti-moment so far is the fill-in art on Star Wars: Dark Times. :x
    How can they go from Douglas Wheatley's beautiful art on the first arc to this...
    darktimesindeed.jpg

Plus there were two different artists so not only was it bad, it also alternated between two different styles from page to page.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    God damn it Marvel Direct, get me my USM tomorrow. :x

wwtMask on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I thought Ultimate spider-man was pretty great.
    Liz as Firestar was a given ever since the last beach bonfire, but doing the reveal as a perfect mirror to said bonfire was pretty cool. Also, everyone randomly turning up outside of Peter's school while he's freaking out trying to keep the whole secret-identity thing going.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Immonen is making Peter look more like Bart Allen

I approve

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    USM was amazing and Spider-Man wasn't even in it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Captain America was fantastic all the way through.

New Avengers Annual, right at the end...
    Jessica is going to register! Noooo!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

How very skrully

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oh god guys

black adam

oh man
    you poor son of a bitch

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

How very skrully

Well
    She'd just run from Dr. Strange's pad because holy crap a ton of super-villains attacking the place and then Jigsaw almost blows her kids brains out.

I think I'd be looking for a secure place as well.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    look at this point my list of "I am sure they are not a Skrull" is tiny

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    fucking damn.

Y was fucking awesome.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    spoiler for Y #60

a comparison to an image from issue #58 that gives this particular scene just a little bit extra poignancy
    28vzx95.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Y - TLM #60 was beautiful.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It just occurred to me,
    Old Yorick looks exactly like Terry Pratchett Terry%20Prachett%20leaves%20with%20presents.jpg

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    So I never understood why they let the inmates wear their costumes in Arkham.

Dude, its Arkham , i think that the staff long ago came to terms with the fact that the asylum doesn't actually keep anybody inside, its really just a hotel that criminals occasional pop into for a quick rest, it just doesn't make any sense to delay them longer than necessary by making them change their clothes.

Edit: and i have just double posted by not realising i was reading the same thread in another tab, my shame knows no bounds.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I read Avengers: Initiative and... uh...

Well, there's a whole bunch of death and destruction... details in the spoiler
    Geiger (or Gamma? Something with at G) who looked like a female Doc Samson - her lower torso is all that's left of her. There's a huge bloodstain on the wall behind it.

Crusader got his hand cut off.

A bunch of the newer trainees, including Ant-Man, are injured or dead but I can't tell for certain from the art.

Baron von Blitzshlag - If he ain't dead, then he's really beat the fuck up. Had a big block 'o metal (as big as he was) smacked into him, and crushing him against a wall.

Pym/Yellowjacket - The panel shows what looks like what's left of a body smoldering with alien energy after he's blasted by the Tacticgon... I don't know, he might actually be dead!

Thor Girl - Probably dead, considering she took a point-blank blast from the Tactigon and it fried off all her hair and made her face all burnt.

Trauma - As much as I hate to say it, I don't know how he could have survived multiple stabbings in the torso with a huge-ass blade.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It was all a dream

Or a simulation

Or a dream I had while in a simulation....

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Dude, its Arkham , i think that the staff long ago came to terms with the fact that the asylum doesn't actually keep anybody inside, its really just a hotel that criminals occasional pop into for a quick rest, it just doesn't make any sense to delay them longer than necessary by making them change their clothes.

Edit: and i have just double posted by not realising i was reading the same thread in another tab, my shame knows no bounds.
    Hey, don't sweat it. I wanted to continue the topic anyway. Now I have an excuse :P

Don't forget that according to the hero with the most knowledge of Insane Asylums in the DC universe (Starman) Arkham isn't a nice place at all. His hospital is much better. And they have sloppy joes for dinner of Wednesdays!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've only read Captain America: Chosen and the New Avengers Annual so far, and while both were good, NA was total win for one particular reason:
    The OMD/Joe Q "It's Magic" ripping.

Even Strange's speech at the end seemed like a jab

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    spoiler for Y #60

a comparison to an image from issue #58 that gives this particular scene just a little bit extra poignancy
    28vzx95.jpg

I hadn't noticed that but thank you for breaking my fucking heart

edit: My moment was all of Y. I don't get how some people didn't really like it. I thought every single panel seemed well thought out and put there for a reason.

My GF, whom scoffs at my "funny book" reading, noticed the tear in my eye and as such I've convinced her to read the series. VICTORY!

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope Frank never leaves Action

Captain AMerica was perfect as usual

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wong beating the shit out of the Hood was pretty awesome.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Hey, don't sweat it. I wanted to continue the topic anyway. Now I have an excuse :P

Don't forget that according to the hero with the most knowledge of Insane Asylums in the DC universe (Starman) Arkham isn't a nice place at all. His hospital is much better. And they have sloppy joes for dinner of Wednesdays!

I just think that morale must be rock-bottom for Arkham staff all year round, i mean the longest they've manage to hold onto the Joker is what 20 minutes? I just picture the place as full of despondent orderlies who have just totally given up on the idea of actually treating or incarcerating anybody and now just view their job as making sure that criminals have somewhere moderately tidy to escape from.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I just think that morale must be rock-bottom for Arkham staff all year round, i mean the longest they've manage to hold onto the Joker is what 20 minutes? I just picture the place as full of despondent orderlies who have just totally given up on the idea of actually treating or incarcerating anybody and now just view their job as making sure that criminals have somewhere moderately tidy to escape from.

Didn't the Joker seduce Harley from being a psychologist or something at Arkham?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There should totally be a random despondent orderlie who shows up every now and then. Like that pathetic Hydra guy that became a recurring character in Marvel a while back.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    look at this point my list of "I am sure they are not a Skrull" is tiny

Does your list consist of
    - C.L.O.C.
    - Ghost Rider's motorcycle
    ?

While we're talking about the New Avengers annual, I've got a question:
    Is it just me, or is the Dr. Stange-consorting-with-evil thing out of nowhere? Has he done anything obviously drawing-on-evil-powers, other than what he did during WWH? I mean, it's possible that I just missed or forgot something, but when I was reading that part in the annual, I thought "O...kay. What?". Plus, I felt that his whole speech was just, like, too much exposition. I felt like he listed the problem, the source, got in a little jab at himself ("Haven't I learned anything?"), and then finally arrived to an irreversible conclusion ("Everyone, get the hell out"). Without any input from anyone else, and with no chance for discussion. It didn't feel like a natural evolution of events to me, and more like "The New Avengers shouldn't have a safe house when we're having Skrull sleeper agents pop up all over the place, let's make Strange kick them out".

Also, at first I thought that this might be a good indicator that Strange isn't a Skrull, because what magical stuff he did seemed pretty powerful and not easily faked, but, on the other hand, isn't it just like a Skrull to want to deny the New Avengers a safe house in the coming confrontation?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Also, at first I thought that this might be a good indicator that Strange isn't a Skrull, because what magical stuff he did seemed pretty powerful and not easily faked, but, on the other hand, isn't it just like a Skrull to want to deny the New Avengers a safe house in the coming confrontation?
    But of course! Dr. Strange is really Mephisto! And he's helping the Skrulls take over our world. Dun Dun Dun!

It explains why Strange has been acting weird lately and why the Sorcerer Supreme hasn't noticed anything wrong about the events at the end of OMD.
    :P

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Didn't the Joker seduce Harley from being a psychologist or something at Arkham?

I remember that happening in that awesome cartoon series they had in the 90's. Did that happen in the comics too?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fact: if one more comic pulls this "take me to your leader" shit I will nut a dude in the kidney.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apocalypse looks retarded.

UXM 90 felt rushed.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I remember that happening in that awesome cartoon series they had in the 90's. Did that happen in the comics too?

Yeah, Harley actually originated in the cartoon and they brought her into the comic-verse because she was so popular.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Apocalypse looks retarded.

UXM 90 felt rushed.

He looked alright to me. Almost like normal fishlips bt with a cape and no shoulder pads. The cover for the next issue makes him look much worse, but the last splashpage looked fine to me. Not overly great, but not bad in the least. Age of Apocalypse is still my favourite depiction of him though.

On an unrelated note, Forerunner fucks some Thangarrian for 2 days straight in Countdown to Adventure. Good times.

KVW on