As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week 01/30/08 - Arkham Inmates Have the Ability to Instill Great Fear

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So a question about the What If: Spiderman vs. Wolverine.
    When Spidey shoots the dual blade bald guy near the end, what did he shoot him with? A super hard web pellet? It was bad-ass.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My gripe with Countdown:
    What was the point? Between the Arena miniseries and this week's issue, didn't they just kill all of the interesting multiverse characters, and they killed Forerunner?

It's possible that I missed something.

Also, re: What If Spider-Man vs Wolverine:
    I'm assuming that Spidey had some sort of gun attachment made for his web shooters when he went all bad-ass super spy.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I'm assuming that Spidey had some sort of gun attachment made for his web shooters when he went all bad-ass super spy.
    That's what I thought at first too, but when I was reading it again last night I only see him point his fingers like a gun thing when he shoots him. With tight clothing it must be a really small gun?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd just chalk it up to comic book science.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Black Adam #6:
    CHOCOLATE EGG CREAM!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My gripe with Countdown:
    What was the point? Between the Arena miniseries and this week's issue, didn't they just kill all of the interesting multiverse characters, and they killed Forerunner?

It's possible that I missed something.
    I was wondering the same thing. We have an Extremist mini still ongoing and it deals with stuff that happened months ago and now all those characters are dead (unless they did some weird Bleed teleport at the last second, which the narrative kind of discounts). Why bother with continuing those tie-ins? And what was the point of all the tie-ins (Search for Palmer, Arena, Extremists, Adventure, etc) if they were going to just kill everyone off?

I try to ignore those questions and chalk them up to first half shittiness carry over and just enjoy the festivities. Also, Forerunner is just defeated as far as I could tell. Didn't look dead to me, but I wouldn't doubt it either.

KVW on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

That's what I thought at first too, but when I was reading it again last night I only see him point his fingers like a gun thing when he shoots him. With tight clothing it must be a really small gun?
    I figured that the hand gesture was just him being a bit silly

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I read Avengers: Initiative and... uh...

Well, there's a whole bunch of death and destruction... details in the spoiler
    A bunch of the newer trainees, including Ant-Man, are injured or dead but I can't tell for certain from the art.

Goddammit. If he's dead, I'm going to be so pissed.

As for NA Annual,
    The Skrull thing is a possibility. Bendis has mentioned it enough times that I am certain there is at least one Skrull sorceror involved.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

As for NA Annual,
    The Skrull thing is a possibility. Bendis has mentioned it enough times that I am certain there is at least one Skrull sorceror involved.

Ahahahahah, what the fuck

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Humans don't have a monopoly on magic. Just look at Hiroim.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bendis did say that we'd get a closer look at the Skrulls, particularly their religious/mystical side. With Strange out of the way, that kinda fucks things up for both Avengers teams, since the only one closest resembling "magical" is Ares. Maybe they can draft Brother Voodoo or Ian McNee into service.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dr. Druid is going to save the motherfucking planet. Dr. Druid and Jennifer Cale.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Avengers: Initiative was pretty awesome, however
    So help me if Trauma is truly dead. He's one of the few characters introduced that I've been genuinely intrigued by. Turn into someone's worst fear? Cool power. Decide to say "fuck off" to the man and use it as therapy? I like you.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    1296_4_106.jpg

Black Lois?
    SKRULL

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Black Adam #6:
    CHOCOLATE EGG CREAM!
    CHOCOLATE EGG CREAM INDEED!

Algertman on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    1296_4_106.jpg

Black Lois?
    SKRULL

I'm genuinely curious as to how that story played out.

Oh, and lest I forget, LOL RACISM.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I read Avengers: Initiative and... uh...

Well, there's a whole bunch of death and destruction... details in the spoiler
    Geiger (or Gamma? Something with at G) who looked like a female Doc Samson - her lower torso is all that's left of her. There's a huge bloodstain on the wall behind it.

Crusader got his hand cut off.

A bunch of the newer trainees, including Ant-Man, are injured or dead but I can't tell for certain from the art.

Baron von Blitzshlag - If he ain't dead, then he's really beat the fuck up. Had a big block 'o metal (as big as he was) smacked into him, and crushing him against a wall.

Pym/Yellowjacket - The panel shows what looks like what's left of a body smoldering with alien energy after he's blasted by the Tacticgon... I don't know, he might actually be dead!

Thor Girl - Probably dead, considering she took a point-blank blast from the Tactigon and it fried off all her hair and made her face all burnt.

Trauma - As much as I hate to say it, I don't know how he could have survived multiple stabbings in the torso with a huge-ass blade.

I read Initiative in TP format, but it sounds like there's a lot of wiggle room on any of those.
    Geiger? Eh, a new character just introduced during this arc, so yeah, she's probably toast. The Baron has super strength and durability, so I'm sure he's fine. Yellowjacket has shown the ability to shrink down to atomic size recently, so he's probably just hiding in that big scorch mark on the floor. Thor Girl's probably got Thor-level durability. The loss of hair might even be a play on the legend of Silf, where her hair was cut off. Trauma.. made the reader fear that Trauma would die so that's what they saw? Eh, I got nothin'.

Remember though, this is Dan Slott. The same guy who retconned the deaths of a bunch of Z-list nobody villains that perished in Punisher War Journal. Guys like the Gibbon, Mandrill, Cat Burglar, Princess Python, and Grizzly. He's not going to go on a killing spree with any old characters, and it's a safe bet that most fan favorites are safe too. The new guys are probably fair game though.

Munch on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think that if there are any Skrull sorcerers, Doom will fuck them up bad.

Was anyone else slightly disappointed that the ending to the FF arc was just another "Doom and only Doom should be the one to save the world!" type things?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    INITIATIVE
    Silf. Daffy Duck. Same difference.

I don't think it was a retcon of PWJ so much as following the adage: If you didn't see the body, they're not really dead.

I mean, look at the end of MODOK's 11:
    No one here really thinks Monica is dead, do there?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Avengers: Initiative was pretty awesome, however
    So help me if Trauma is truly dead. He's one of the few characters introduced that I've been genuinely intrigued by. Turn into someone's worst fear? Cool power. Decide to say "fuck off" to the man and use it as therapy? I like you.
    I feel like there's been a bit too much development of Trauma for him to really be dead. Way too much potential there for them to just throw it out.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just think that morale must be rock-bottom for Arkham staff all year round, i mean the longest they've manage to hold onto the Joker is what 20 minutes? I just picture the place as full of despondent orderlies who have just totally given up on the idea of actually treating or incarcerating anybody and now just view their job as making sure that criminals have somewhere moderately tidy to escape from.
    There should totally be a random despondent orderlie who shows up every now and then. Like that pathetic Hydra guy that became a recurring character in Marvel a while back.

How about Jeff the absent minded Orderly who can never remember to lock doors behind himself, make it a running joke about how much all the villains love Jeff.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    re: Strange in NA annual
    Did you not notice the Zom hands? It was because of what he did in WWH

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Like that pathetic Hydra guy that became a recurring character in Marvel a while back.
    Bob: Agent of Hydra?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wait when did Dan Slott retcon the fact that all those villains were dead?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I figured that the hand gesture was just him being a bit silly

Ditto.

Also, where the hell did this What If? come from? It was really good. I didn't even know they were doing any more now that they'd done the What If? versions of most of the major events.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Would anyone say that the Spidey vs. Wolverine What if? is good enough to be picked up instead of getting the Annihilation one I was gonna finally get?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Would anyone say that the Spidey vs. Wolverine What if? is good enough to be picked up instead of getting the Annihilation one I was gonna finally get?

I enjoyed it a lot more myself.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Annihilation What If? is a pretty big downer until the very end.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well CrimsonDude from what I can tell we have similar comic book tastes so I think I'll take your word for it and go with Spidey vs.Wolverine.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Cool.

However, the Annihilation issue does have two major things going for it (so you should get it next time): The art is great, and the heroism in it is just amazing. It's a good story. Just not as good.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm I could just hold off on Batman or Avengers: Initiative (I'd have to buy 6-9 anyways) and get both.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd hold off on What If:Annihilation before I held off on Avengers:Initiative. That's one of the best books Marvel is putting out.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I enjoyed it a lot more myself.

I'd say this one was the best out of the entire last group, with the only one coming close being the Planet Hulk one on the strength of the "What if Hulk got to the peaceful planet" story.

werehippy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    It just occurred to me,
    Old Yorick looks exactly like Terry Pratchett Terry%20Prachett%20leaves%20with%20presents.jpg

MARK THE GODDAMN SPOILERS

this is a Y: The Last Man spoiler by the way

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It just occurred to me,
    Old Yorick looks exactly like Terry Pratchett Terry%20Prachett%20leaves%20with%20presents.jpg

MARK THE GODDAMN SPOILERS

this is a Y: The Last Man spoiler by the way

HOLY SHIT AT YOUR AVATAR!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for ruining LOST for me, Geebs. Thanks a lot. D:

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    Wait when did Dan Slott retcon the fact that all those villains were dead?

He didn't. It was clearly left open so that any of those villains could reappear later with minimal explanation.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Someone said that Dan Slott did it...or am I just imagining things?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fraction 'killed' them in PWJ #4, Slott 'brought them back' in...She-Hulk, maybe?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wasn't Rhino in that bar? He's alive.

Crimsondude on