As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An appreciation to those who paved the way for the rest of us.

SexygamermanSexygamerman __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
my.php?image=10102192image123screensze4.jpg

When I look at the way games used to look like way back when I feel a sense of amazement at how anyone could have gotten into gaming with the infant technology and limited resources being devoted to produce terrible 2D graphics and mediocre sound. I sometimes wonder how it could possibly have taken off at all.

Even now I marvel when I look at those games and I have a newfound respect for those who forced themselves to play those horribly atrocious, two-dimensional looking games.

I know I couldn't do it.

Sexygamerman on

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is this sarcasm? I can list off hundreds of pre-N64-era games that I'd rank as great games and great gaming experiences. There's more to gaming than pixel shaders and 7.1 surround sound...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Now the Atari-level games, on the other hand...

Then again, they did almost kill the entire industry in its infancy.

jothki on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know how amazing and innovative a lot of stuff seems to us now? It was even more amazing and innovative to people back then when there was nothing to compare it to previously.

Considering the context of some of these games, they were actually quite fantastic within their realm.

But beyond that, sometimes gameplay transcends technological barriers.

I still think Pacman and Galaga and Centipede are fantastic, for one. XBLA arcade agrees with me on Pacman. Fuck, I think some of these games are better than some of the completely forgettable shit that we have coming out for the current generation.

slash000 on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    my.php?image=10102192image123screensze4.jpg

When I look at the way games used to look like way back when I feel a sense of amazement at how anyone could have gotten into gaming with the infant technology and limited resources being devoted to produce terrible 2D graphics and mediocre sound. I sometimes wonder how it could possibly have taken off at all.

Even now I marvel when I look at those games and I have a newfound respect for those who forced themselves to play those horribly atrocious, two-dimensional looking games.

I know I couldn't do it.

Guy, are you being facetious or are you just an idiot?

Bump-mapping and procedurally generated content and the like are great and all, but when I started playing games, all we had were those "horribly atrocious, two dimensional looking games".

I maintain that those games are just as good, if not better, than the games we have today.

Edit: Never mind, just checked his profile history. Giant fucking troll, guys, just ignore him.

YaYa on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dude, I remember going from CGA to EGA in a Sierra text-parsed game and thinking it was fucking gorgeous. I nearly creamed my jeans when I saw VGA.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    You know how amazing and innovative a lot of stuff seems to us now? It was even more amazing and innovative to people back then when there was nothing to compare it to previously.

Considering the context of some of these games, they were actually quite fantastic within their realm.

But beyond that, sometimes gameplay transcends technological barriers.

I still think Pacman and Galaga and Centipede are fantastic, for one. XBLA arcade agrees with me on Pacman. Fuck, I think some of these games are better than some of the completely forgettable shit that we have coming out for the current generation.

My ex-gf got me into games after I broke my arm in the heat of the moment. While I was recupperating in the hospital, she brought her brother's PSX and had me play Resident Evil 3 to pass the time. Ever since then I was hooked. If she had brought an NES or something I probably would never had bothered.

Sexygamerman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My ex-gf got me into games after I broke my arm in the heat of the moment. While I was recupperating in the hospital, she brought her brother's PSX and had me play Resident Evil 3 to pass the time. Ever since then I was hooked. If she had brought an NES or something I probably would never had bothered.

You're confusing quality of games with technology. How do you know you wouldn't have been hooked on Tetris, or Super Mario Bros. 3?

Also, your statement is practically self contradictory:

Since you draw your line at the PS1, someone in your same position may come around and say, "Once I was in the hospital, a friend brought me an PS2/Xbox/GCN/360/PS3/Wii. Ever since then I was hooked. If he had brought me a PS1 and I had to look at that trash, I would not have bothered."

After all, how can you stand to play Resident Evil, with its primitive tank controls, blurry, blocky textures, low-poly models, and atrocious voice acting?

You're not considering context. Some stuff can be amazing for its time, and not so later. But sometimes gameplay transcends technology.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

You're confusing quality of games with technology. How do you know you wouldn't have been hooked on Tetris, or Super Mario Bros. 3?

Also, your statement is practically self contradictory:

Since you draw your line at the PS1, someone in your same position may come around and say, "Once I was in the hospital, a friend brought me an PS2/Xbox/GCN/360/PS3/Wii. Ever since then I was hooked. If he had brought me a PS1 and I had to look at that trash, I would not have bothered."

After all, how can you stand to play Resident Evil, with its primitive tank controls, blurry, blocky textures, low-poly models, and atrocious voice acting?

You're not considering context. Some stuff can be amazing for its time, and not so later. But sometimes gameplay transcends technology.

Perhaps, but I think your seriously underestimating the work that went into RE3. It had amazing production values. The cinematics, the story, the music, the atmosphere, etc.

Those elements would not have been created faithfully with the limited technology and the limited budgets in the 80s unless it was some sort of high production Laserdisc fmv game or something.

Sexygamerman on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And yet people claim that Super Metroid has the best atmosphere in a game. Hmm.

Also, RE games are not a good yard stick to be measuring with. RE4 was great, and the rest are pretty fun, but there were games with better production values from the same era. Just because you have an emotional attachment to it doesn't make it the be all and and end all of greatness.

YaYa on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ...damn kids.

I played StarMaster on my 2600 was it was amazing.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Perhaps, but I think your seriously underestimating the work that went into RE3. It had amazing production values. The cinematics, the story, the music, the atmosphere, etc.

Those elements would not have been created faithfully with the limited technology and the limited budgets in the 80s unless it was some sort of high production Laserdisc fmv game or something.

You're still not considering the context.

You would not be able to create the atmosphere of RE3 on an Atari or NES. But nothing of that sort was even comprehensible at the time.

Think the atmosphere and cinematics of RE3 were amazing when you first played it? Or even now?

Know how that feels? How cool and impressive it is?

That's how people felt when they played older games within their time - but for different reasons, but ultimately it was still cool and impressive. That's how people felt when they played Centipede. Centipede was an amazing game for its time. Even Pacman. And time has proven that these games are still classic examples of gameplay transcending technology and are still fun to many people even today.

How can you possibly think that just because we have better tech and more possible experiences now, that the advent of the technology was somehow less amazing?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Holy shit. This is crazy. I will not believe this guy is serious. Unless he's like 12, how can anyone think these ludicrous thoughts?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He broke his arm during sex

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of old Atari games, I'd love for Combat to be released on XBLA. It's practicely already built for 4 to 8 player multiplayer battles over Live.

And gameplay does transcend graphics. One of my favorite games to this day is the old DOS game Sopwith Camel 2. The game had 4 colors and PC Speaker sound, but the gameplay is still fun. Yeah it's nice that games today have all this fancy technology, but it's not the be all end all of fun in games.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    Your mom really could lose a few pounds.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

The ironic thing is that this username is "sexygamerman"

I'm sure it's real sexy to women when they hear about how he broke his arm..

slash000 on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember playing the first Legend of Zelda and almost crying because it was so awesome.

I did cry when I played Goldeneye for the first time though...

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Fisting is an advanced technique not recommended for amateurs.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I used to think a NES would be cool but I would settle for an Atari. My videogame baptism was on a MSX. Wasn't mine, but my best friend (I was young enough to have best friends) had it and we played every day. We played for ten minutes in between 30 minute tape loading screens. I might be able to explain why.

Because... it was magic.

We sit through 30 minutes of loading for a crappy side scroller for the same reason you people are here discussing games instead of playing it: because the mere existence of a gaming device was exciting and fun. Because we enjoyed the fact that something, even without any graphics, would react to what we wanted it to do.

It's the same reason why we play Mass Effect, in fact. Because you think "I want my character to do this" and somebody built it trying to make it react to your desire. Eye candy is eye candy. If we were playing for that, we'd go to the movies instead. Or if we wanted atmosphere, or story.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Worst thread of the day.

If the old games with non 3D graphics and surround sound were so bad, why is the Virtual console so popular?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Next gen 2D Zelda for the epic win.

Bill Nye on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

Funny, I've never thought about sexual acts as a list structured in layers. What level is a fisting? I'd like to brag like that in front of my friends "last night I received a lv.10 blowjob, gave out a lv.15 fisting. She owes me five levels and I fully intend to get them back toninght".

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »

Funny, I've never thought about sexual acts as a list structured in layers. What level is a fisting? I'd like to brag like that in front of my friends "last night I received a lv.10 blowjob, gave out a lv.15 fisting. She owes me five levels and I fully intend to get them back toninght".

Level 15? Most of us can only manage a Level 5. Did you kill Inigo Montoya's entire family or something?

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know people aren't truly saying this, but it sure comes across that many here feel as if better graphics than the previous generation is some horrid disfiguring disease that feeds solely on the joy provided by earlier games. Visuals aren't a crutch and shouldn't be treated as such, but they are still a valuable part of a game. Sure, a bad game with good graphics is still very likely a bad game. But a good game that looks like it's finger-paint-by-numbers with feces still makes eyes bleed and for many they will put the game down and never pick it back up.

Just because something was the best that could be done at the time does not make it good. The fact that something was on the NES doesn't make it have amazing gameplay. Similarly just because a game looks good doesn't make it ass. And there isn't something wrong with someone because they felt the eye-candy made up for faults in the game. They paid for it, let them love it however they want.

Personally I love this generation. I look back on days of intellivision, NES, and everything else between then and now don't really get this nostalgic euphoria that others here seem to get. Yeah, we played it because that was all there was. But just because you grew up with it doesn't mean it somehow gets a free pass. For those of us here discussing video games the only pixelated images may have been entertaining but it is still a turn-off for many and each of those people probably have a threshold where the RE3 graphics were good enough to capture their attention (such as sexygamerman...wow I only typed that and it feels gross. Sorry dude) or whatever it may be.

Again it just seems like there is a lot of hate because some people enjoy the visuals. Personally I like them but it isn't a requirement if other criteria are met, just as some glitches or design-flaws are forgivable if the visuals are spectacular.

That being said the OP still seems to be lighting fires for the sake of it.

tl;dr Visuals do add or subtract from the value of a game, and the hate for that idea seems strange to me. But why the OP decided to even start the thread is stranger.

This to me has been more of a trend than this thread, the hate for visuals, and my bets are the simple answer of troll for this OP.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

No cheat codes there.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

No cheat codes there.

UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT.....

chamberlain on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YaYa wrote: »

Edit: Never mind, just checked his profile history. Giant fucking troll, guys, just ignore him.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I know people aren't truly saying this, but it sure comes across that many here feel as if better graphics than the previous generation is some horrid disfiguring disease that feeds solely on the joy provided by earlier games. Visuals aren't a crutch and shouldn't be treated as such, but they are still a valuable part of a game. Sure, a bad game with good graphics is still very likely a bad game. But a good game that looks like it's finger-paint-by-numbers with feces still makes eyes bleed and for many they will put the game down and never pick it back up.

Just because something was the best that could be done at the time does not make it good. The fact that something was on the NES doesn't make it have amazing gameplay. Similarly just because a game looks good doesn't make it ass. And there isn't something wrong with someone because they felt the eye-candy made up for faults in the game. They paid for it, let them love it however they want.

Personally I love this generation. I look back on days of intellivision, NES, and everything else between then and now don't really get this nostalgic euphoria that others here seem to get. Yeah, we played it because that was all there was. But just because you grew up with it doesn't mean it somehow gets a free pass. For those of us here discussing video games the only pixelated images may have been entertaining but it is still a turn-off for many and each of those people probably have a threshold where the RE3 graphics were good enough to capture their attention (such as sexygamerman...wow I only typed that and it feels gross. Sorry dude) or whatever it may be.

Again it just seems like there is a lot of hate because some people enjoy the visuals. Personally I like them but it isn't a requirement if other criteria are met, just as some glitches or design-flaws are forgivable if the visuals are spectacular.

That being said the OP still seems to be lighting fires for the sake of it.

tl;dr Visuals do add or subtract from the value of a game, and the hate for that idea seems strange to me. But why the OP decided to even start the thread is stranger.

This to me has been more of a trend than this thread, the hate for visuals, and my bets are the simple answer of troll for this OP.

But your love for graphics and my "nostalgic euphoria" aren't mutually exclusive. Obviously, Bioshock's graphics are part of what makes it cool. Obviously, the merits of System Shock 2 go beyond its graphics.

I downloaded Bubble Bobble on the VC the other day. A friend was over that afternoon. He's an intelligent guy and a gamer. He typically requests Halo games when he's here. We go to his place for Eye of Judgement. That kind of a gamer. After a Halo session I said we should try Bubble Bobble. He had never played it. In fact, he mocked me for liking a game about two dinosaurs that spit bubbles.

He loved it, of course. It started with "hey, the music's catchy" and it ended up in desperate races to grab candy and tomatoes. There's obviously an underlying something there that goes beyond presentation and is the core of gaming.

People might misunderstand that and claim graphic whores are idiots, and I completely agree that good graphics add to a game, not detract to it, but there's a core of truth in that common belief.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    monsterworld-5.png

monsterworld-3.png
    <3

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This will happen more and more as young gamers have their first gaming experience with more and more advanced systems.

My personal limit is the SNES, and I'm 20.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    After reading this guy's post history I'm considering taking his new thread button away.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.