As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Educational Desktop Wallpaper

A BearA Bear Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently decided my computer desktop is not helping me out like it could. I see the same beach photo for hours--why not make it something useful? I figure I could passively learn something just by having, say the US presidents set as my desktop. Problem is, I cant find anywhere that offers such things. Anyone know of a place where I can find high-quality, free-to-use images that might end up teaching me something? I particularly would like US history/political items (maps, lists of leaders, timelines) but I'm not picky.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A Bear on

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i don't really have an answer, but i'd just like to say that this sounds like a pretty good idea.

I try to get the same thing done using various widgets; word of the day, this day in history.... Maybe you could install something similar on your system.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You could very easily make these yourself.

Then you'll learn even more by making it.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Periodic tables are good. I have a widget I left open all the time with that, which could also have color codes corresponding to melting point or ionization energy, so you would actually get a graphical sense of the periodic trends.

Those images are easy enough to find and use, I dont know of any for history though...

I suppose you could go through the wikipedia images of the day, and screenshot their text and the image, or put the caption over the image and create a folder of those. It would probably take about a minute per one, so get 30 or so and have them rotate daily, changing out every month.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Picture_of_the_day/February_2008

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    panksea06 wrote: »
    Periodic tables are good. I have a widget I left open all the time with that, which could also have color codes corresponding to melting point or ionization energy, so you would actually get a graphical sense of the periodic trends.

Those images are easy enough to find and use, I dont know of any for history though...

I suppose you could go through the wikipedia images of the day, and screenshot their text and the image, or put the caption over the image and create a folder of those. It would probably take about a minute per one, so get 30 or so and have them rotate daily, changing out every month.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Picture_of_the_day/February_2008

I found a couple of maps I've put up on rotation, but history seems to be a tricky topic to get images from. I had hoped some textbook company would have presented a selection of graphs and charts for public use- but so far no luck.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]