As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dishwasher - Grim Reaper, Chainsaws, Guitars and Cyborgs

SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
This is one of those awesome XNA Live Arcade indie games that begs the question: Why has no one ever designed a game where you play as a Grim Reaper with a chainsaw before?

cemeteryman.png

kama1.png

operamess.png

Trailer:

http://skasoftware.wordpress.com/2007/11/06/new-video/

Dev blog site:

http://skasoftware.wordpress.com/

Ultraviolence? Check.
Guitar for no apparent reason other than kicking ass? Check.
2D and completely sprite-based? Check.
Co-op? Check.
Awesome? Hell yes.

XNA demo is out on Live Marketplace right now!

Samphis on

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The trailer makes this look like Devil May Cry as an awesome 2D sidescroller. I approve.

RainbowDespair on
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Can someone explain to me why all these devs have decided quirky, awesome games are good again? Because they need hookers and blow for a job well done.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is one of the winning entry from last years DreamBuildPlay contest. It's pretty awesome and this game has flow. Part of first prize was a liscense to make an XBLA game.

I'm glad to see that they have progressed quite nicely.

DreamBuildPlay 2008 will be starting soon and they will announce the winners of the DreamBuildPlay 2008 Warm-Up at the GDC'08

Handkor on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Handkor wrote: »
    This is one of the winning entry from last years DreamBuildPlay contest. It's pretty awesome and this game has flow. Part of first prize was a liscense to make an XBLA game.

I'm glad to see that they have progressed quite nicely.

DreamBuildPlay 2008 will be starting soon and they will announce the winners of the DreamBuildPlay 2008 Warm-Up at the GDC'08

I'm glad someone other than us is rewarding this behavior. Specifically, someone with money and publicity.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The DBP contest has been great for getting little games created.

Here was the entry that Kewop Decam and I entered for DBP 2007, we won 3rd prize.

screenshot1-custom;size:626,352.jpg

Our DBP '07 Entry

Here is my entry for this years WarmUp

HiveScreenshot3-large.jpg

My DBP ' 08 Warmup entry

Handkor on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meh. If there's one thing indie gaming, and Live Arcade could do without, it's more shooters. Dishwasher is at least something different.

Samphis on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Samphis wrote: »
    Meh. If there's one thing indie gaming, and Live Arcade could do without, it's more shooters. Dishwasher is at least something different.
    you can never have enough shooters

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Thank you.

Will this only be available on XBLA, or is there a PC version floating around somewhere?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been anticipating this for so long. I can't remember what game the developers made previously, but I really liked it and I'm looking forward to this one.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meh. If there's one thing indie gaming, and Live Arcade could do without, it's more shooters.

Given that the last 3 shooters that XBLA got were Rez HD, Omega Five, and Metal Slug 3, all of which are awesome, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2008
    There's an XNA demo of this out on Live as of yesterday. It is a spectacularly awesome example of good indie games.

Samphis on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, saw lots of people saying how good this is, gave it a shot and SOLD. Day one intsabuy. Multiplayer too? Oh sir, you're making me blush.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The demo for this was hot shit. I can't wait for the final release.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy fucking hell that looks incredible.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This looks good, but can anyone explain to me why they decided to name this game "The Dishwasher?" Other than a contest to see how many potential buyers can be driven away from a good game by a bad name alone?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is out now?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why all these devs have decided quirky, awesome games are good again? Because they need hookers and blow for a job well done.

Because they're cheap, you can develop them in your underwear, and with the advent of digital distribution they are easier to get to the public.

EDIT

So... this is on Xbox Live, yes? Is it out now, or do I have to wait? I didn't pay attention to that XNA thing yesterday and have no idea what the hell is going on.

Sheep on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you grab the 'XNA Launcher" (or something like that) from the New Arrivals tab, you can then use that to download demos of these games. DO it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This little game is really really good. So much style too.

I really dig the scrolling comic strips between each scene.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    If you grab the 'XNA Launcher" (or something like that) from the New Arrivals tab, you can then use that to download demos of these games. DO it.

That sounds awesome, but are they current builds of an on-going project or a proper demo? If we like the demo can we buy the full version and reward these indie devs?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited February 2008

That sounds awesome, but are they current builds of an on-going project or a proper demo? If we like the demo can we buy the full version and reward these indie devs?

For these ones, you cannot because they will actually be coming to Live Arcade down the road. In the coming months, you will be able to.

Samphis on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

they're demos, but not purchasable as the games aren't complete or something.

The Dishwasher is fucking fun.

EskimoDave on