As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop + Beer

KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I accidentally knocked someones beer and it spilled slightly on my friends computer, and now it won't turn on. Of course I offered to pay for any repairs or for the extreme possibility of a new computer (1200-1500 probably). He is going to take into tomorrow, but I am wondering what does penny-arcade think about how much I should put towards the computer if the worst was to happen.

Things to note:
Three year old macbook
complete accident
No insurance or anything

Do you think I should be held responsible for completely replacing his old POS for a brand spankin new computer or should i say pay for half or something of the sort?

I originally planned to pay the full amount because that is the first thing that came to my head, but my parents suggest that I might not be fully responsible for a new computer.

Penny-arcade....suggestions

Katholic on

• Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I personally think you'd have to pay for a new computer. Or perhaps give him the amount of money that a three year old macbook goes for these days, and he'll have the choice of putting in the rest for a brand new one or buying something used.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If he needs to get a new one, pretty easy. Check his old laptop's specs. Figure out how much the cost of a similar performing computer would cost, and then give him that much cash. If he wants to upgrade, he can cover the rest.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    If he needs to get a new one, pretty easy. Check his old laptop's specs. Figure out how much the cost of a similar performing computer would cost, and then give him that much cash. If he wants to upgrade, he can cover the rest.

Do you think though I should give him compensation for the fact that he doesn't have a computer to use as of now?

Katholic on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Katholic wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »

Do you think though I should give him compensation for the fact that he doesn't have a computer to use as of now?

Ehh. Unless it was something you could have easily avoided(as opposed to, say, you all got drunk, and weren't paying attention, and anyone could have knocked beer onto it, etc), its basically a matter of shit happens, and you're helping him out regardless.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You are partially responsible, but if he was stupid enough to leave his laptop next to someone's (his? yours?) beer then he is also partially responsible. Personally, I don't think you should have to pay for a brand-spankin new laptop, but maybe offer to pay for one of equal performance.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Mort sur la rueMort sur la rue __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Just buy him a MacBook Air and have him give you about 300 dollars.

Mort sur la rue on