As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quid Chat XXIV: Grandma's Okay!

• DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    I think the given example does not take into account car production costs.

What is it taking into account on the blanket-"meat" side apart from production costs? And presumably they didn't just subtract meat but went ahead and accounted for the environmental costs of the replacement food-items?

Obviously the food side takes into account production costs, because that's all there is, and it takes hugenormous amounts of grain and soy and shit to feed cattle. On the car side, on the other hand, they're only counting the comparative amount of fuel usage, not the actual manufacture/production of the car and its component parts.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aegis pic, meet my hard drive.

Quid on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Aegis pic, meet my hard drive.

God, I hate that picture. It's like 2 years old.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And now it is how future generations unrelated to you will know you as.

Quid on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Grace I hate the Prius and I love meat. :(

ViolentChemistry on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    And now it is how future generations unrelated to you will know you as.

I take some solace in the fact my opening word in our Scrabble match started with a Z :)

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited February 2008
    Also I hate coal-burning power-plants.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    what does aegis look like?

Casual Eddy on
    edited February 2008

Let me rephrase, then.

Eating slightly less meat reduces emission by a large and impressive amount.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The thing with that is, it's not you eating 20% less meat. It's producers cutting back production 20% overall which is a hell of a lot more effort and coordination than one person driving a Prius.

[Edit]
    Because, so what if Grace eats 20% less meat--that meat is just going to stay on the counter for someone else to buy--it was still grown and produced.

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    what does aegis look like?

A Dandelion.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I believe the list of people who want to date Snake includes Otacon.

But the list of people who want to date Otacon does not include Snake.

Didn't Snake at one point say that he has no interest in sex?

Also, MGS 4 should end with Otacon and Snake getting married in Canada. Oh god, would I laugh.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
    edited February 2008
    ViolentChemistry on
    edited February 2008

Let me rephrase, then.

Eating slightly less meat reduces emission by a large and impressive amount.

How much more could I reduce emissions by just killing business-majors, though?

ViolentChemistry on
    edited February 2008
    laos, they'll end up producing less meat when demand for it falls. There are millions of vegetarians in the US, if they were all meat eaters there would be significantly more cows around to 'meat' their demand for 'meet'.

Casual Eddy on
    edited February 2008

No that was Meryl. And she was basically saying it to try to impress Snake, by her tone.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited February 2008
    laos, they'll end up producing less meat when demand for it falls. There are millions of vegetarians in the US, if they were all meat eaters there would be significantly more cows around to 'meat' their demand for 'meet'.

No, I get that, but individually, because we're not likely to overhaul the entire system in any meaningful way, you're going to have more impact driving a Prius than eating less meat. There are lots of VCs out there who are not going to eat less meat, so the producers aren't going to have to cut production.

I realise that if we could just snap and BAM everyone ate twenty percent less meat it would be awesome, but I just think that while the figure is cool, it's not all super awesome.

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    I'm not actually going to kill business majors. That would be mean.

ViolentChemistry on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You can kill SUV drivers if you want.

James on
    edited February 2008
    all overhauls start individually though

Casual Eddy on
    edited February 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

No, I get that, but individually, because we're not likely to overhaul the entire system in any meaningful way, you're going to have more impact driving a Prius than eating less meat. There are lots of VCs out there who are not going to eat less meat, so the producers aren't going to have to cut production.

I realise that if we could just snap and BAM everyone ate twenty percent less meat it would be awesome, but I just think that while the figure is cool, it's not all super awesome.

Yes, it's almost as if by telling many people about this, I'm hoping they might also make lifestyle changes, and tell other people, who might also make lifestyle changes, and so forth, and eventually result in a meaningful overall change in meat consumption. :P Obviously me cutting back on meat isn't going to make much of a difference, since I eat it maybe once or twice a week.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008

No that was Meryl. And she was basically saying it to try to impress Snake, by her tone.

I remember Psycho Mantis said that people were always thinking about reproduction, which annoyed him, but he liked Snake because he never thought about that.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    all overhauls start individually though

They do, but saying that you are reducing emissions on the same level as if you were driving a Prius by eating 20% less meat is misleading. That's all.

LaOs on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Are you talking about how it takes more energy to make and transport the various special parts needed to make a Prius than the energy consumed by x amount of cars in a year?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
    edited February 2008
    James wrote: »

You can kill SUV drivers if you want.

I'm just going to wait for the U.S. government to trigger the apocalypse, honestly. That'll give the planet time to heal.

ViolentChemistry on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scrabulous doesn’t seem interested in letting me play this word. The ‘wait’ spinner has been running a couple minutes now. Reloading the board doesn’t fix the problem.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuck, hiccups! I tried holding my breath and doing the water thing. How do I get rid of them?

Fuck! Another one!

And another!

Curse you diaphragm

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited February 2008

Yes, it's almost as if by telling many people about this, I'm hoping they might also make lifestyle changes, and tell other people, who might also make lifestyle changes, and so forth, and eventually result in a meaningful overall change in meat consumption. :P Obviously me cutting back on meat isn't going to make much of a difference, since I eat it maybe once or twice a week.

I know you don't eat much meat. I just read your initial post differently (clearly) than you intended. I read it as you saying that if I ate 20% less meat over the next year I would be doing exactly the same as driving a Prius.

I read it as you were stating a direct effect rather than suggesting an overall change in world behaviour.

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    20080201.jpg
    I might buy a print of this comic.

edited February 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Fuck, hiccups! I tried holding my breath and doing the water thing. How do I get rid of them?

Fuck! Another one!

And another!

Curse you diaphragm
    Actually, scientists really don't have a "good" explanation for hiccups, or headaches, or migraines!

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Fuck! Another one!

And another!

Curse you diaphragm
    BOO

Elendil on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuzzy the noise of your fapping to that strip is so loud.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited February 2008
    Do they actually grab each other like that?

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008

Are you talking about how it takes more energy to make and transport the various special parts needed to make a Prius than the energy consumed by x amount of cars in a year?

I'm not, no. I was just (mis)-reading Grace's original post as about something that was a direct and immediate effect and saying that I thought it was a bit misleading, because it would take a complete overhaul of the entire system, rather than just one's habits, to effect the change she was talking about.

I didn't realise she was posting as a suggestion that we should eat less meat maybe rather than a statement of fact.

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Scrabulous doesn’t seem interested in letting me play this word. The ‘wait’ spinner has been running a couple minutes now. Reloading the board doesn’t fix the problem.

You played Gay didn't you?

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited February 2008
    Fuzzy the noise of your fapping to that strip is so loud.
    I'm of the theory that Darth whatever isn't forcing them to kiss and they wanted to kiss, because the eye expression in the second panel is like "NO I LOVE YOU WE CANT DIE NOW"

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

Fuck! Another one!

And another!

Curse you diaphragm
    BOO

AAAAAAAaaaahhhh

hic

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited February 2008

I'm not, no. I was just (mis)-reading Grace's original post as about something that was a direct and immediate effect and saying that I thought it was a bit misleading, because it would take a complete overhaul of the entire system, rather than just one's habits, to effect the change she was talking about.

I didn't realise she was posting as a suggestion that we should eat less meat maybe rather than a statement of fact.
    Oh. I do like that Prius's have incredibly reduced emissions. But driving one does not mean you are somehow saving the world.

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yes.

James on
    edited February 2008
    James wrote: »

Yes.

ha ha ha ha ha

I can see why Tycho made a comment on that

Edit: Isn't this really just feeding into that gay paranoia Americans have, that if two men touch for whatever reason it must be gay.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.