Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Girl hates Mary Jane

ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so I'm facing a little dilemma.

I've been recently talking to this girl I work with. We've gotten pretty serious, spending alot of time with each other, really starting to develop feelings for each other, and I could see us lasting for a pretty good while. We get along great with each other's families, whatever.

This only kink in this whole thing is the fact that I smoke. Frequently, yes, but I'm not a stereotypical stoner. I work 35+ hours a week and go to school full-time to be an EMT, hopefully someday a Paramedic. I'm fully aware that this means drug tests and I'm planning on quitting in April, two months before I even take my state exam.

She HATES it. Absolutely HATES it. I've been cutting down because I know she doesn't like it, but it is something I enjoy doing with my friends and I will never bring it around her or see her while I'm under the influence of it.

The thing is though, it's this irrational hate she harbor's towards it. Can NOT give me any sort of reason why, just that it's "fucking stupid and anyone who does it is fucking stupid too."

Basically it all culminated the other night (Friday) when I decided to stop studying for an exam I had yesterday (Saturday) and met up with some of my friends who were hanging out and smoked. So this girls ex-boyfriend they also apparently didn't work out cause he smoked..) has been texting/trying to talk to my female best friend and she mentioned that I was there hanging out. Well he went and apparently showed the girl I've been talking to these texts and she flipped out. Basically she's telling me I have to pick weed or her.

Now you don't have to tell me how stupid that sounds. Weed over a girl, weed over love, blah blah. I understand that. The thing is though, do I really want to be with someone who has to try to change me in order to love me? The fact that she can't understand that I'm 20 years old, have a good head on my shoulders and working towards doing what I want to do, all the while I've treated her like fucking gold. She's said on numerous occasions that I'm such a great guy blah blah guys like you don't exist blah blah i'm so lucky blah blah" but then turn to fucking psycho crazy as soon as I smoke?

It all sounds so fucking stupid to me, but I'm just looking for some outside opinion here. Thanks.

ins0mniac on
X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
«1

Posts

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well like you said, you are going to be quitting in 2 months anyways yes? Quitting two months early does not seem like an unreasonable compromise to me. Now if this is part of a pattern and she is really controlling in general, then I could see a problem, but cutting out one or two behaviors is not an excessive thing in a relationship.

  • ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is true, it's just how unreasonable she is about the whole thing that drives me nuts. I can't be with someone that irrational.

    Her big thing is that I'm making weed more important than her, to which I reply that she makes this whole vendetta against it (without any reasons to back it up...) more important than me. But in her eyes thats SOOOO much different. :roll:

    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sit her down and talk about it. Talk about its effects, do your research and show her that it's not harmful. If she hates it because she's a bible nut, quote Genesis 1:29
    Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food."

    Basically be logical about it and remain level-headed despite whatever propaganda she might throw at you. Sit down with her and ask specifically what problems she has with it, and don't give up until you get a reason. Relationships are a two-way street, she has to accommodate your habits just as you do to hers, to a reasonable extent.

    delicious.
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man everyone is irrational about something, it is just a fact of life.

  • NibbleNibble FormosaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some people hate people who smoke cigarettes, too. Or they hate people who drink. It's unlikely that you're going to change her mind about it. Yes, it sucks; and even though you're planning to quit anyway, it's still sacrificing your principles; but it's really not a big deal if you want to be with her. If later she starts telling you to pick her over your preferred brand of cola, drop it like it's hot. Until then, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

    sig.php?id=178
  • StarcoreStarcore Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I can understand her point of view, honestly. I've never smoked pot, and I hate cigarettes (For personal reason, not just because they're cancer sticks). Because of the fact that you're planning on giving it up already, I wouldn't see any problem with doing it now, but I understand the concern that she could be a control-freak in the end. I'd say let go of the MJ and see what happens.

    Ironically, I walked into this thread thinking it was about Spiderman...

    This is a sig.

    It links to my website. The site is still under construction. And will be forever. And apparently it's dead for right now. I guess I'll have to talk to my admin one of these days...Also. Myspace.
  • ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thank you, that exactly how I view it.

    It's not the fact that she doesn't like weed or that weed is THAT important to me. Yes its a habit I enjoy and something I enjoy doing with my friends. I don't want to be that guy that all of a sudden changes who he is and his habits just because some new girl doesn't like it.

    EDIT: Directed to nibbles, not starcore, but I understand your point of view as well.

    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds to me like OP isn't going to quit in two months either.

    I understand the principle of it is a pain, but if you do quit and she drops it, then you've got rid of one of her idiosyncrasies already. Everyone has them, fortunately for you one of hers was something you think you're going to stop doing anyway. Your feelings towards these idiosyncrasies are rather dependant on how much you care about her, and her opinion of you.

  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User
    edited February 2008
    you never know, maybe someone she knows died in a related incident and she just wont have anything to do with it.

    but unfortunately i share her view.
    ins0mniac wrote: »

    The thing is though, it's this irrational hate she harbor's towards it. Can NOT give me any sort of reason why, just that it's "fucking stupid and anyone who does it is fucking stupid too."

    oh and by the way, i dont have a reasonable explanation for hating it either, so TBH i woudnt push her too hard for one.

    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the fact that you're doing something illegal is enough reason for her to dislike it. I sure as hell wouldn't be cool with my girlfriend doin' stuff she could get fines/arrested for just because she didn't agree with that law.

    What are you going to do about your friends when you stop smoking?

    camo_sig2.png
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the fact that you're doing something illegal is enough reason for her to dislike it.

    In other news, people are actually allowed to think for themselves, regardless of governmental laws.

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited February 2008
    You're doing something illegal that could compromise your future career, and you're seriously considering letting go of a social relationship to keep doing it. People that smoke up aren't the same a crack heads, but that doesn't mean it's harmless either. You're sending up just as many red flags in my mind as her controlling nature.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My first serious boyfriend was this way about weed too, despite the fact that I'd smoked maybe 3 times in the 2 and a half years we were together. As the relationship went on, though, he started being against me drinking, and then me hanging out with people that drank (which is a hard thing not to do in college), then me telling jokes he didn't like, and then me talking to people that he didn't like (which by then was pretty much everyone). His reasoning was that those things were stupid, and could I please just indulge him in a couple (hah!) of idiosyncratic hatreds, which I did, mostly. It sucked and got more sucky the longer we were together. When we finally broke up, I was so happy to finally be able to talk to people and do things I liked to do without getting lectured for it.

    If you really think quitting smoking will keep this girl off your back, you should do so. However, be warned that this is very likely the first step of hers into changing you into the person she wants to be with, not the person you are. If she gets another hatred of something for no other reason than "it's fucking stupid," run.

    Oh, and ApexMirage? Nobody dies from pot. It's practically impossible. If she was against alcohol, that'd make sense, but marijuana is exceedingly safe for a drug.

  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Speak No Evil. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If she's telling you to pick between weed and her, it'll spill over to other things, I guarantee it. You don't have to "convert" her or anything, just try and get her to have an adult conversation with you about why she is anti-pot. If the two of you can be civil about it and come to some sort of agreement, cool beans. But if she keeps being shrill about it, well, I don't think you should reward that behavior. You have to quit in two months anyway, so I really don't see what her malfunction is.

    I'm not saying you should break up with her over it but weed and your girlfriend aren't mutually exclusive. Personally I would probably get out of the relationship if the conversation went badly but I really like weed so I might be a bit biased. Just try to talk to her about it and get her to at least understand your point of view. She doesn't have to agree with you, she just needs to understand where you're coming from.

    n95ewsr3ulmn.jpg
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    Oh, and ApexMirage? Nobody dies from pot. It's practically impossible. If she was against alcohol, that'd make sense, but marijuana is exceedingly safe for a drug.

    yeah you're right, nobody's ever crashed a car (amongst so many other things) because they were stoned, my bad.

    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Speak No Evil. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well if somebody gets stoned and then decides "time to go drive somewhere", well, I'm not saying they deserve to crash their car, but that's not exactly a wise decision either.

    n95ewsr3ulmn.jpg
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    If you really think quitting smoking will keep this girl off your back, you should do so. However, be warned that this is very likely the first step of hers into changing you into the person she wants to be with, not the person you are. If she gets another hatred of something for no other reason than "it's fucking stupid," run.

    That's BS. She just may not like you smoking the reefer. My girlfriend quit smoking cigarettes because I couldn't stand it and I haven't asked her anything like that since. She may be trying to change you, but it might also be because she wants to be with you and she can't reconcile that with the fact that you smoke. I mean, you said you're quitting in 2 months anyway, so just man up and quit now.

  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User
    edited February 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    Oh, and ApexMirage? Nobody dies from pot. It's practically impossible. If she was against alcohol, that'd make sense, but marijuana is exceedingly safe for a drug.

    yeah you're right, nobody's ever crashed a car (amongst so many other things) because they were stoned, my bad.

    A good deal of the drivers you see on the road have smoked recently, or are smoking.

    How often do you hear about stoned drivers crashing more than drunk ones?

    Be as gay as you can. You're already dressed as a pirate, that's a good first step.
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    If you really think quitting smoking will keep this girl off your back, you should do so. However, be warned that this is very likely the first step of hers into changing you into the person she wants to be with, not the person you are. If she gets another hatred of something for no other reason than "it's fucking stupid," run.

    Oh, and ApexMirage? Nobody dies from pot. It's practically impossible. If she was against alcohol, that'd make sense, but marijuana is exceedingly safe for a drug.

    The fact that she can't even say why she's against it is a pretty strong indication of a tendency for irrationality.

    Something else could easily come up that she doesn't like for reasons she can't be bothered to think about, and she'll be shocked and furious if you don't accept "it's fucking stupid and u 2" as valid reasoning.

    I'd say try and have a sit-down conversation, expressing a willingness to leave your smoking behind. Try to get to the bottom of why she doesn't like it, and maybe she'll even realize that she's being silly and/or arbitrary and drop the whole thing.

    eokNV.jpg
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User
    edited February 2008
    GiantRobo wrote: »
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    Oh, and ApexMirage? Nobody dies from pot. It's practically impossible. If she was against alcohol, that'd make sense, but marijuana is exceedingly safe for a drug.

    yeah you're right, nobody's ever crashed a car (amongst so many other things) because they were stoned, my bad.

    A good deal of the drivers you see on the road have smoked recently, or are smoking.

    How often do you hear about stoned drivers crashing more than drunk ones?

    My post simply said that someone she knows might have died to a related incident. the point is that it does/can/will happen, that driving is not the only thing that can get you killed while you're stoned and that it's a perfectly viable explanation. You're derailing the topic at hand, which is that a girl has a seemingly irrational hate for something.

    And like i said, odds are you wont get a reasonble explanation out of her - i'm perfectly sane and I hate the stuff too, it's just a choice we make. Maybe she was brough up that way. Maybe she just doesent want you killing brain cells or doesent think you'll understand whatever reason she might have, if any.

    IMO, don't push it. Quit now or 2 months from now, and forget about this whole problem. If she really is crazy you'll know sooner than later and this is no reason to flip out.

    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Speak No Evil. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    IMO, don't push it. Quit now or 2 months from now, and forget about this whole problem. If she really is crazy you'll know sooner than later and this is no reason to flip out.
    See, I totally agree with this, but the OP makes it seem like she's kinda demanding a choice right now. I don't think there's really any way of avoiding it.

    ...Unless the OP contracts a mysterious disease that requires him to smoke lots of weed for the next two months!

    Genius.

    n95ewsr3ulmn.jpg
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Maybe she doesn't want to talk about her reasons because she doesn't want to get into a heated debate about the relative harmfulness of pot, in which you bombard her with a barrage of carefully-selected facts while doing your best to pick apart everything she offers in defense. The minute you say "Why don't you like it?", and she gives one concrete reason, you're going to be on her like flies on shit pulling out every study, survey, and testimonial you can find to show her exactly why she's wrong to think that way.

    Which completely misses the entire fucking point: she's not cool with you smoking pot.

    She may, as most people seem to be suggesting, be a controlling bitch who wants to remake you from the ground up. She may be just a slave to the man, man, unable to see that pot is, like, totally safe, and that nobody has ever even so much as stubbed their toe while under the influence.

    Or she may just be acutely uncomfortable with the fact that you're doing something illegal. She may be concerned about whether your activities are going to impact your future job with its associated drug tests.

    But you know what? It doesn't matter what her reason is, really. The important thing is, her unwillingness to tell you her reason doesn't mean she's irrational, it probably just means she doesn't want to get into an argument about it in which the intellectual debate overrides her *feelings*.

    She's not cool with it. You're saying you're going to quit anyway. If you ignore her and go on smoking it up for the next two months, you've lost a girlfriend, guaranteed. If you respect her feelings enough to quit now, one of two things will happen: either she'll be sincerely grateful and your relationship will be all the stronger for it, or she will, indeed, turn out to be controlling, and her project to create the all-new, improved OP 2.0 will move on to whatever its next stage is.

    100% certainty of losing your relationship for the sake of your chosen drug if you keep smoking, versus an unknown chance of losing it if you respect the desires of your girlfriend and put out the joint a couple of months early.

    Which of those sounds better to you?

    I'm here to tell you about voting. Imagine you're locked in a huge underground nightclub filled with sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pit bulls for fun. And you ain't allowed out until you all vote on what you're going to do tonight [. . .] So you vote for television, and everyone else, as far as your eye can see, votes to fuck you with switchblades. That's voting. You're welcome.
  • GinzueGinzue Registered User
    edited February 2008
    What they all said.

    I've been in this place before with a girl not liking that I would occasionally toke up and that I drank. Eventually it was "don't spend so much time on your paintings, its dumb" and thats when I knew there was a problem. If its just the weed your fine since your going to stop anyway, and hell she might have some good reasons (stoner family members etc). BUT what all the others said, if it starts sounding like shes trying to change you a bunch by making you stop doing things you like: bad news.

    Question: Has she seen you high? Its understandable to dislike people when your sober and they are high... She very well may hate that side of you. Many are this way, but disregard this if shes not see you blazing.

    Ginzue!
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like she had some pretty bad experiences with the ex-boyfriend, probably because he was stoned all the time? People are crazy, it would be in her best interest if she could make the distinction between pot and the ex-boyfriend. Marijuana isn't more "stupid" than drinking alcohol, people don't seem to accept this because of the social stigma surrounding pot, though.

    If you want to put an end to this silly feud in a proper manner you should really try to get her to give a reason why she is so hard on pot. You're way too young to be in a relation where "because I say it" is considered a valid reason. :|

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    I think the fact that you're doing something illegal is enough reason for her to dislike it.

    In other news, people are actually allowed to think for themselves, regardless of governmental laws.

    Way to devalue rebellion as a form of expression.

    Classic 'Thinking For Myself' Thought: "Yeahhhhhh! Weeeeeed!"

    It's not like you're doing your brain or body any favors by smoking pot anyway.

    Plus, I can only imagine it being kind of annoying when your boyfriend gets hit with a possession with intent to distribute.

  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's been my experience that people who are willing to leverage their relation with you against you doing something they don't like aren't worth the time.

    I've always ended up seriously regretting trying to change myself because some girl wanted me to, and the ones that use themselves as an ultimatum in retrospect were the biggest bitches.

    Of course your situation could be different, but that's been my experience.

    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I agree with Kate of Lokys.

    If my gf smoked i would issue the same ultimatum to her. Personally, i hate the smell, and i hate the way people who are stoned act. Its really that simple.

    Also, i dont think its a great idea to put your future career at risk by smoking right up till the last moment then expecting to quit cold turkey to pass the drug test.

  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Speak No Evil. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well if those were her reasons then that would be a fine reason to ask him to quit, but he said right in the OP that he doesn't smoke around her or come around her while he's high.

    n95ewsr3ulmn.jpg
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Well if those were her reasons then that would be a fine reason to ask him to quit, but he said right in the OP that he doesn't smoke around her or come around her while he's high.

    But she still knows that he does it and assuming she disagrees with on a fundamental level, then she is still entitled to her opinion.

  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's been my experience that people who are willing to leverage their relation with you against you doing something they don't like aren't worth the time.

    I've always ended up seriously regretting trying to change myself because some girl wanted me to, and the ones that use themselves as an ultimatum in retrospect were the biggest bitches.

    Of course your situation could be different, but that's been my experience.

    But in this case the OP is intending to quit in 2 months anyway. Why not quit now instead. If it turns out later on that the girlfriend is just trying to manipulate him it'll come up again with something else after he gets rid of the weed and he can get rid of her. But on the other hand, maybe she just doesn't in fact like marijuana, but does like the guy and doesn't want him to smoke it. In which case it would be stupid and ridiculous to choose smoking weed for an extra 2 months over keeping the girl.

    Of course my own personal thought is that if he's this upset about her telling him to quit smoking now, then he's probably not actually going to end up quitting in 2 months anyway.

  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Speak No Evil. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Well if those were her reasons then that would be a fine reason to ask him to quit, but he said right in the OP that he doesn't smoke around her or come around her while he's high.

    But she still knows that he does it and assuming she disagrees with on a fundamental level, then she is still entitled to her opinion.
    Her opinion ought to be elaborated on in any case. Don't get me wrong, I think it's completely reasonable to not like weed, but you shouldn't say "it's fucking stupid and so are the people who do it" without explaining why you feel that way.

    I don't really have anything else to say so my final recommendation would just be to try and talk to her about it. The key is maturity.

    n95ewsr3ulmn.jpg
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    ins0mniac wrote: »
    This is true, it's just how unreasonable she is about the whole thing that drives me nuts. I can't be with someone that irrational.

    Her big thing is that I'm making weed more important than her, to which I reply that she makes this whole vendetta against it (without any reasons to back it up...) more important than me. But in her eyes thats SOOOO much different. :roll:

    You wouldn't be wrong to stop seeing her if that's what you're asking. It's pretty likely she's like this about other shit that hasn't come up yet. I mean it's one thing if she were concerned for you or something but it doesn't sound like you have a problem or anything. There's probably some bad experience in her past that she prefers to blame on weed than to assign responsibility to people for their actions. I would say quit both. Her ultimatum was weed or her, but it sounds like giving up both is your best bet.

    The issue is the girl's attitude, it could very well be applied to drinking as well or to videogames or to anything really if it's one of those irrational "I don't have a reason/won't share my reason because I know it's not a real reason" things, which is what it sounds like.

    And if I see any posts beyond this line arguing whether or not weed is okay whoever posts it gets 2 points. Second person gets 3. If you want to have a debate about marijuana do it in the appropriate forum. Suffice to say the "no illegal advice" rule stands, so no one advise him to go smoke a bowl or anything either.

    Line

    DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I may have a bit of a bias on this subject because my veins run green but I do think she's over reacting a tad bit. You're quitting in 2 months, live it up. 2 months is a great amount to ween yourself off it. If you're anything like me you smoke a bowl before bed just to get yourself to sleep faster and it can be troubling without it. Just assure her that you're quitting and try to make it as small of a deal as possible. You have to do it anyway for your futures sake. Just reassure her of this.

  • TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, she doesn't have to have a rational reason to dislike it.

    Yes, she does have to have a rational reason to tell him to stop doing something when it doesn't affect her at all.

    Example time! I have a completely irrational hatred of horror movies, to the point where I've left movie theaters when too many horror trailers come on. My boyfriend loves horror movies, the gorier the better. It's perfectly okay for me to ask him not to watch horror movies when I'm around, to put his headphones on if he's watching them on the computer, not to take me to see horror movies, etc.. However, if I told him he was absolutely not allowed to watch horror movies with other people and refused to give him a reason other than "they're stupid and people who like them are stupid," I'd be totally in the wrong.

    Similarly, the girlfriend in the OP can reasonably ask ins0mniac not to smoke around her or be around her if he's been smoking, not to keep weed in the house (if they share a residence), not to smoke around her things, etc., without having to give him a reason other than her irrational dislike. That's fine. However, when she expects him to change a behavior that doesn't affect her at all, it's very over-controlling. And if he lets her continue to control him by using "don't do this because I said so" and giving him ultimatums, it's unlikely to end well.

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    If you need it to sleep you're doing it wrong. If you need it ever you're doing it wrong. This isn't a "brag about your own illegal activies" thread either. Nothing helpful is contributed by talking about how much you personally love/hate or need pot. insomniac's question clearly pertains to issues of boundaries, not a discussion about recreational drug-use.

    DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    No, she doesn't have to have a rational reason to dislike it.

    Yes, she does have to have a rational reason to tell him to stop doing something when it doesn't affect her at all.

    Example time! I have a completely irrational hatred of horror movies, to the point where I've left movie theaters when too many horror trailers come on. My boyfriend loves horror movies, the gorier the better. It's perfectly okay for me to ask him not to watch horror movies when I'm around, to put his headphones on if he's watching them on the computer, not to take me to see horror movies, etc.. However, if I told him he was absolutely not allowed to watch horror movies with other people and refused to give him a reason other than "they're stupid and people who like them are stupid," I'd be totally in the wrong.

    Watching horror movies and smoking weed are probably a little bit different. There may be a more personal reason she doesn't feel comfortable sharing yet. And even if he doesn't smoke around her, I'd wager if he does it often enough, he smells like it sometimes, as does his living area. And it will affect his health as well, which is something he may care about. If you really want to give her a chance, quit 2 months(or bargain for 1) early. If she moves on to being an unreasonable bitch about something else, then I'd say lose the baggage. All relationships require sacrifice to some degree.

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    Relationships will all require sacrifice, true, but not just for the sake of sacrifice. One party being unwilling to listen or communicate on a subject isn't a good enough reason for the other party being forced to make a sacrifice. If there had been any willingness to communicate about the subject this would be a different discussion.

    DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tell her, "lay another ultimatum on me and we are through" and see if the relationship survives the irony.

    cancer.jpg
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Using marijuana is illegal. People being uncomfortable with breaking the law is something you can't understand? You can argue your case but don't expect to get too far with arguing for crime (yes I know smoking weed is fairly innocuous).

    sierracrest.jpg
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Using marijuana is illegal. People being uncomfortable with breaking the law is something you can't understand? You can argue your case but don't expect to get too far with arguing for crime (yes I know smoking weed is fairly innocuous).

    It's not an issue of "I don't like it because it's illegal and that makes me uncomfortable" though it's an issue of "I'm not going to give you any reasons, but do you love me or the weed more? choose."

    One is reasonable, one is controlling and the attitude of a bitch.

    Like I said earlier, I was in a relationship (non-dating) with a girl who was against drinking, and she gave me the alcohol or her ultimatum, and since I'm such a light drinker anyways (socially, maybe twice a month) I ditched the booze with no adverse consequences, then it was her or my friends she didn't like, then it was spend every Friday with her hanging out or she has a bitch fit about being abandoned on Fridays.

    It took me 3 months for me too realize this girl was just a controlling bitch who needed affirmation that she had control of everything in her life because of a sexual assault as a child. It's sad, but that doesn't socially justify the level of bitchiness she forced me to deal with.

    So, like I said earlier, your case may be completely different, but it's been my experience that people who use these reasonless me or it ultimatums are not people who are worth being involved with.

    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
«1
This discussion has been closed.